I'm So Proud Of My Mate

Loz

My Mate is getting married.

HE came here travelling and we gave him all the warnings. For months he was ok and then he got "got". Issan girl got him. Her mum works at his school Dad is retired Lt General. Both Buddest of course. He already lives with the girl at the family home and everything is rosey but...

He is the meakest mildest guy I know and I rib him mercilessly sometimes but guess what?

He has got them to agree to a Christian wedding, in their own garden by the waterfall!

some of you may not know this, but in a chirstian wedding THERE IS NO SIN SOD!!!

I was worried that he was gonna be railroaded into a lifestyle that was suffocating but it turns out he is doing just fine. They live together, work together no time to play because they are working to pay for the wedding (about the same as a new Honda PCX) but he is happy and they are happy. His folks will fly in for the event. I'm looking forward to it, much more now that I know he is not being dictated to as we so often read about here. He is 30 and while mild mannered, he has his own values and something are not negotiable. Good for him I say.

He's still not allowed out of her sight for longer than it takes to prepare a bowl of mueslli but, thats not Thai jealosy, thats just marriage.

Three cheers for the lad! :)

Good luck to them both

If he is 'working to pay for the wedding'...........sounds like he couldn't pay sin sod anyway!!!

So yes good thing he is not being asked for sin sod.....wedding may have been put off a few years.....how thoughtful of the Thai family.... :)

I never understand what they need to save for? I met and married my wife for about 300 baht and that was the cost of the two friends as witnesses meal afterwards at the side of the road.

Funny enough my marriage was similar..the Amphur went on lunch break and we hit the plastic chair restaurant outiside to have namtok sticky rice and fried chicken..with the two witnesses.... romantic till the last.... :)

It all sounds great - the sort of thing you'd expect in the West, apart from being allowed no privacy.

How old is the man and his g/f? Where did they meet? What are their professions?

The cynics amongst us believe that the family assume he will come good in the end - but be that as it may, he could be the exception and both are in love. It happens - even here.......

I never understand what they need to save for? I met and married my wife for about 300 baht and that was the cost of the two friends as witnesses meal afterwards at the side of the road.

Exciting wedding yabaaaa, if you willing to share the pictures of your wedding feel free to post them, i can't wait :)

Exciting wedding yabaaaa, if you willing to share the pictures of your wedding feel free to post them, i can't wait :D

I dont need wedding photos I can see her whenever I like.................... and its looking good :)

Exciting wedding yabaaaa, if you willing to share the pictures of your wedding feel free to post them, i can't wait :D

I dont need wedding photos I can see her whenever I like.................... and its looking good :)

:D And it saved you another 500 :D

The wedding hasn't happened yet!

Pessamist?

jb1

Not at all, I'm quite Optimistic really - There's plenty of time for the Groom to be to change his mind on the Sin Sod thing.

After all, it is important that these things get off to the right start, it just would not do to have him thinking the basis of his relationship with his darlink's family is anything other than the money he puts up.

It all sounds great - the sort of thing you'd expect in the West, apart from being allowed no privacy.

How old is the man and his g/f? Where did they meet? What are their professions?

The cynics amongst us believe that the family assume he will come good in the end - but be that as it may, he could be the exception and both are in love. It happens - even here.......

Dear Cynic,

er

He's 30 and she is 27

Met working together. Both Teachers.

Looks to me like more reciprocity than fleece job. THey are both working together 7 days, day and night. I thought that was crazy too but "its just until the wedding". We'll see. But in any event, the fact that a Thai family of respectable social standing (yes, based on dad being a retired Lt. General which is a very senior rank like Vice Admiral in the navy or Vice Air Marshall for the soldiers with wings) was willing to be flexible with a "mere" teacher as a son in law and this all is taking place in Isaan, should shed a little light on some of the dubious information one picks up here and elsewhere about life in Isaan.

In a christian wedding....yes there is "sin sot"...except the brides parents pay....bet he hasnt told them that yet...

Sinsod is part of the culture, not part of a religion.

And religion is a part of culture.

Don't count your chickens yet. It ain't over till' it's over. But, good he has stuck to his guns so far. The family might ask for a Buddhist wedding also. Fair game.

Actually I waited to post this VERY soon before the wedding so I could dismiss the nay sayers. Ain't gonna be no monks.

on a related note:

Have you ever thought about the concept of marriage? It's often said that a Man will "take" a wife. If the man is initiating the union, should it not be on his terms?

JUst an open question... :)

This is 21th century and I am still not sure why anyone gets married. Just love and live and don’t worry about what the people, family, society wants or think

My feelings exactly. The whole business is overblown, particularly here and with foreign gents, many who have been through the mill a few times already. You would think they would be more cautious.

THe Lack of caution is part of what prompted me to start this. I think my buddy has gone into this with his eyes and heart open and aware. He may not understand everything but he is not blind to everything. He will doubtless have ups and downs like others. But at least he's not starting out bent over with his pants down.

Good on him!

How about kudos to the Thai family for foregoing a perfectly normal custom in deference to their daughter's happiness?

My Isaan brother in law paid his sinsod to his Thai wife,s parents from Muay Thai winnings, so it,s not a milk the farang thing.

This is 21th century and I am still not sure why anyone gets married. Just love and live and don’t worry about what the people, family, society wants or think

I didnt worry I didnt. tell my parents I was getting married and she couldnt tell hers. I hadnt been marrried before and neither had she. I know you all think T.V members are sad losers so have uploaded you a photo :D This is nearly 4 years later now so she's obviously in it for the long term payout right????

PS Guesthouse thanks for the warning before you post it. :)

post-66436-1265611981_thumb.jpg

Edited by yabaaaa

How about kudos to the Thai family for foregoing a perfectly normal custom in deference to their daughter's happiness?

My Isaan brother in law paid his sinsod to his Thai wife,s parents from Muay Thai winnings, so it,s not a milk the farang thing.

Yes far from it, they are more than happy to milk each other.

I didnt worry I didnt. tell my parents I was getting married and she couldnt tell hers. I hadnt been marrried before and neither had she. I know you all think T.V members are sad losers so have uploaded you a photo :D This is nearly 4 years later now so she's obviously in it for the long term payout right????

I don't know how posting a picture of you and your wife proves anything. But hmmm, there is some very interesting body language going on in that photo....

I don't know how posting a picture of you and your wife proves anything. But hmmm, there is some very interesting body language going on in that photo....

What do you want proving? Pray tell the interesting body language?

You know sometime ago I posted a request on tv and another forum and the responses were quite hilarious, one member suggested something so ludicorus I couldnt stop laughing for days. I always love the wild assumption/ total guesswork backed up with the posters incredible powers of perception you get on forums. So lets hear the body language story............I am sitting comfortably :D