Phuket Is A Great Holiday Destination

kiwione

Hello to all at phukit We have just spent 4 weeks on holiday at phuket and had a really great time.We are 3 young guys travelling asia for a 3 month break after schooling and go back to start working.For us there are no complaints except not enough time awake to do all we could.After cold and rainy NZ this place is awesome, beaches, food, ladies,sun, bars, ladies and all so cheap. I agree the tuk tuks are not cheap but if you need to go somewherea in a hurry they're great and its a minor cost whan you combine all the other low cost stuff.Sure they chase customers but no thanks is easy reply.We had a great time and will be back .

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well said kiwione. The place certainly has its issues, but it's still a great place. It seems that too many people find it far too easy to whinge about anything and everything... I'm particularly surprised by the number of people who read this (Phuket) sub-forum and pipe in to various threads about how they hate the place/will never come back, etc. Why the dickens are they reading a forum in which the subject matter is a place they detest?

Glad you guys had a good time. Your words are echoed by pretty much everyvisitor I encounter here whether they be friends, family, or my dive students or other tourists. When I travel around Thailand for my other job, after two or three days I really start to miss Phuket for all it has to offer when compared to any other area of Thailand. Despite the need for a complete transportation system overhaul, there is much to love about visiting and living here, as I do.

Good point Ping. There is one explanation for the anti's. Some of these Phuket bashers have been exposed as having interests in other areas in Thailand outside Phuket, and so troll the Phuket threads in an attempt to steer tourists their way.

Well said kiwione. The place certainly has its issues, but it's still a great place. It seems that too many people find it far too easy to whinge about anything and everything... I'm particularly surprised by the number of people who read this (Phuket) sub-forum and pipe in to various threads about how they hate the place/will never come back, etc. Why the dickens are they reading a forum in which the subject matter is a place they detest?

The short answer is they have very little else to do with their day than whinge about percieved injustices, scams, overpricing, those demon thais who treat them SO bad and everything else thats SO wrong with the country..

It fills in the day and provides a warm feeling in the tummy to counteract the iced down chang

I know this because i occasionally do the same...

You will to if you stay long enough :)

All it takes is one negative event and your love can turn turn to hate very quickly, particularly if one has somewhat unrealistic expectations. This is human behaviour.

The longer one stays in a location, the greater the likelihood of having an unfortunate event. Some will say, ha, 1 year here and all I had is a run in with a slack jawed tuktuk thug, who cares, while a tourist that experiences a random criminal act may assume that there was a plot in place to target tourists. That too is human behaviour.

Hang around in Nai Thon or Mai Khao if you are looking for clubland with its ugly cheap whores and crappy bars and you'll be disappointed.

Hang around in Patong if you are looking for peace and quiet and you'll get angry as ugly midget sized hookers grab at your arm.

The reaction depends on picking the right place to meet one's needs doesn't it?

Phuket is promoted as a safe, upscale family environment. Many people come with unrealistic expectations of an exotic locale with sexy happy people. There is a bit of disappointment when these visitors discover that while yes there are some nice aspects, the locals are alot like the locals from the tourist's homeland and that the same issues and problems one faced at home can be found here. For those tourists that come looking to score some sex, lots of booze in the sun and some cheap eats & flops, they will have died and gone to heaven.

It's all about what one was expecting. If a tourist doesn't do the research first, he or she may be disappointed.

This board (like many) has a tendency to dwell on the negative. Also the longer you live some place, the more likely it is for the "magic" to wash off, and you to start to notice the all the bad things. You also tend to get crankier with age, and for someone who's lived on the island back in the "good old days", you might not take to all the change and the increased cost of living.

I will say the Tuk Tuk situation has gotten quite bad. It used to be they were overpriced. Now they are just downright insane on their pricing.

I was just checking out the Groovy Maps website today, and they have excerpts on their website of the tips/advice you'll find with the map. They mention a Tuk Tuk will run 20-40 baht from anywhere in Patong to anywhere else in Patong. I have no idea when this was written, but it can't be too many years old. Yet today you'd consider it a good deal if a Tuk Tuk only charged 100bath to take you a few blocks in Patong, and are more likely going to have to pay closer to 200 baht.

And it doesn't help that not only are there few alternatives (No real bus system, etc), but the Tuk Tuk's have been trying to shut down hotel and tour operator shuttles.

I also feel a lot of the locals would love to see Phuket get negative coverage and tourist numbers drop, as that's the only chance that the government will actually attempt to do anything to fix the problems.

Coming out of cold and rainy New Zealand, any spot with a beach, sun and warm weather would be considered great.

However, once you get over the "I am out of New Zealand for the first time syndrome", the facts are that Phuket is way overpriced and not so great.

The locals attitudes are getting worse and worse towards foreigners.

A mate of mine who is a regular visitor to Phuket (3 times per year for 4 weeks at a time, past few year), just had his first trip outside of Phuket to Isaan

He is singing a completely different tune now.

The thread that had to do with the ideal day in Phuket sure brought out a lot of *****rs.

I think it's they just want to vent their frustration, the people that don't like Phuket probably go to Patong and figure the whole island is like that.

Thanks for the post Sir Kiwi, you also live in a fabulous place, I had a fantastic time in NZ.

Of c ourse its great to be young single and on the lash in phuket :D it is sex, booze and boogy 24/7,have pity on your average over50,s potbellied expat , for him its Rum,Bum and gramaphone records :)

Indeed, life is virtually at an end as soon as one gets past 45 of so - you'd be hard pressed to have as much fun at any age as I do at 60 matey!

Glad you guys had a good time. Your words are echoed by pretty much everyvisitor I encounter here whether they be friends, family, or my dive students or other tourists. When I travel around Thailand for my other job, after two or three days I really start to miss Phuket for all it has to offer when compared to any other area of Thailand. Despite the need for a complete transportation system overhaul, there is much to love about visiting and living here, as I do.

Good point Ping. There is one explanation for the anti's. Some of these Phuket bashers have been exposed as having interests in other areas in Thailand outside Phuket, and so troll the Phuket threads in an attempt to steer tourists their way.

Thanks for your words but loking at your past stories i wonder wht your interests really are.Your main gripe seems to be the tuks but you in general write a heap of negatives about the place you live.Why? and as for the tukstuk i mean do you ever use them ireckon you dont because you are expat and have a car.Did you yourself have arun in or what.in all honesty it sounds like you and only acouple of others are out to promote negatives and disharmony in the very place you call home.How ironic .My impression is that mabe you are either a very bored oldy with little else to do and passed your use by date or you are just making waves to promote other self interests.

These are my observations from a student ot human behavioural studies, and i found that this forum offers a lot of opportuneties in regards to quirky behaviour patterns.All great for my planned thesis i might add.

Thanks for your words but loking at your past stories i wonder wht your interests really are.Your main gripe seems to be the tuks but you in general write a heap of negatives about the place you live.Why? and as for the tukstuk i mean do you ever use them ireckon you dont because you are expat and have a car.Did you yourself have arun in or what.in all honesty it sounds like you and only acouple of others are out to promote negatives and disharmony in the very place you call home.How ironic .My impression is that mabe you are either a very bored oldy with little else to do and passed your use by date or you are just making waves to promote other self interests.

These are my observations from a student ot human behavioural studies, and i found that this forum offers a lot of opportuneties in regards to quirky behaviour patterns.All great for my planned thesis i might add.

I take it you have a big wooden spoon in hand.

I used to love patong , went there first time in october 1964, jungle came right down to the beach, fantastic fishing, the bay was full of wildlife, dolphins, mantas, even the odd whale shark, fishing was brilliant , sailfish , juvenile black marlin, not a bar or tailor to be seen, nearest hotel was in phuket town, but we camped out on the beach, I even took some german mates back there in 71 for the fishing , but the yanks had started to move in so the downward spiral had begun, the b/wphoto is roughly where absolute seapearl is today :)

post-11182-1265848199.jpg

in all honesty it sounds like you and only acouple of others are out to promote negatives and disharmony in the very place you call home.How ironic .My impression is that mabe you are either a very bored oldy with little else to do and passed your use by date or you are just making waves to promote other self interests.

1. you are completely off the mark regarding ScubaBuddha

2. just because you are studying something doesn't make you an expert, you haven't even done a thesis and you are judging?

3.yes, SB points out negatives about Phuket but his post here is positive, "there is much to love about visiting and living here, as I do"

You might put these points in your pipe and smoke it, student.

Phuket is a great place to live. It's far from perfect. This forum gives people an opportunity to discuss gripes and give newcomers a helping hand.

Those of us that cast aspersions on a place after a flying visit or those of us that prefer to bury our heads in the sand are exhibiting even quirkier behaviour. I hope this is also great for your thesis - which I'm sure will be an utterly thrilling read.

There's a HUGE difference between living somewhere and going there for a holiday! If you don't realise that then I fear for your thesis on behavioural studies.

Most posters actually live here, so have a far better idea of what is going on than someone who came on holiday for a few weeks.... :) Thai Visa is a great place for ex-pats to talk about LIFE here, as opposed to posting holiday reminisces.

The vast majority of ex-pats came to Phuket on holidays and loved it - they would hardly have moved here otherwise. Actually living here for a few years forced them to take off the rose-tinted glasses.

There's a HUGE difference between living somewhere and going there for a holiday! If you don't realise that then I fear for your thesis on behavioural studies.

Most posters actually live here, so have a far better idea of what is going on than someone who came on holiday for a few weeks.... :) Thai Visa is a great place for ex-pats to talk about LIFE here, as opposed to posting holiday reminisces.

The vast majority of ex-pats came to Phuket on holidays and loved it - they would hardly have moved here otherwise. Actually living here for a few years forced them to take off the rose-tinted glasses.

OOPS, Sorry to all, i guess the written nword didn't really convey what i meant. Wooo scary place as far as you expat experts go ,,what a great response thoug..thanks.

Yes very sorry im only young and dont know a thing.. but if its as bad as you say..dont talk..just move away..

Phuket is a great place to live. It's far from perfect. This forum gives people an opportunity to discuss gripes and give newcomers a helping hand.

Those of us that cast aspersions on a place after a flying visit or those of us that prefer to bury our heads in the sand are exhibiting even quirkier behaviour. I hope this is also great for your thesis - which I'm sure will be an utterly thrilling read.

Yes thankyou it will be a great HONEST read...thank you for your confidence in my future.

OOPS, Sorry to all, i guess the written nword didn't really convey what i meant. Wooo scary place as far as you expat experts go ,,what a great response thoug..thanks.

Yes very sorry im only young and dont know a thing.. but if its as bad as you say..dont talk..just move away..

I think you are missing the point.

As mentioned by F1fanatic, yes, those of us who live here discuss on this forum the problems here in Phuket that most of the visitors do not really see or care about as they are only here for a week or two. Like you, no?

As everyday people here, we see the bad side of the Tuk-Tuk drivers, a tourist might take a ride and think they are wonderful as they are much cheaper than a cab ride back home. But, as ScubaBuddha has experienced, sharing the roads with these people everyday can lead to much different experiences.

Yes, on this Forum we are concerned about senseless killings in our neighborhoods, rapists, burglaries, just as anyone who calls a place "home", would.

The topic of this thread is "Phuket is a Great Holiday Destination" and I think most of us who live here would say, "yes it is", but as residents we see things in a different light.

Like many here testified already; yes, Phuket is a wonderful holiday destination. Maybe most of us living here are a bit disappointed that once you live here, it's not quite the same anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very nice place to live but not as perfect as many think when they arrive for the first time.

P.S.: You're going to use a spell checker for the thesis, don't you?

Sure in this subforum as well as elsewhere on TV a lot of whining is done by the "expats".

Of course there are things to complain about in Phuket, as I noticed for instance after having parked my car in a place taxi drivers considered to be theirs. The guy who ordered me to move straight away certainly wasn't smiling.

But I can't escape the feeling many of those whiners are simply ill adapted people who didn't make much of an an effort to learn the language and try to fit in generally, adopting a different code of behaviour and changing the expectations you have of other people. Settling abroad you have to learn to go with the flow, and it takes time to learn how. Even for instance Dutch people who settle just across the border in Germany because housing is cheaper there often have a hard time initially.

Oh well, in a forum for Thai people who settled in the US probably also a lot of whining would be done.

Edited by keestha

I believe you have the situation reversed. How can you honestly state that "Phuket bashers" are attempting to steer tourists "their" way. Exactly what "way" is their way? I've never read any comments that suggest an alternate location for people to visit. Please provide details as to how & when these people have been "exposed".  

I read "pro-Phuket" comments often whereas the person posting the comment is operating a business in Phuket, selling property, etc. These people are biased in that they profit from tourism. Many people participating in these forums live in Phuket and operate businesses here. Need I say more?

1. you are completely off the mark regarding ScubaBuddha

2. just because you are studying something doesn't make you an expert, you haven't even done a thesis and you are judging?

3.yes, SB points out negatives about Phuket but his post here is positive, "there is much to love about visiting and living here, as I do"

You might put these points in your pipe and smoke it, student.

Gosh grumpy, i don't have a pipe to smoke, rather childish comeback though from you , but good for a laugh at your expense.

Gosh, didn't the motlley crewcome out in force, aswell as the speller natzies..holy toledo batman.

My post wasabout holidaying in Phuket and not about you sinister expats lives, living in a place you seem to hate.

I very much doubt if any potential touristswould want to read this forum anyway but if they did your vitriolic ersponseswould change their mindreal fast you would stop most intetrest in visiters coming at all. Appreciate the good points and encourage people to holiday there not discourage them as your posts could do

Look thru your postsyou people, itsall doom and gloom and horror that you are promoting on here> why? Hidden agendas maybe or just a touch of senilty from a few haters.Beats me.

Even reading all the postson tuks etc i wonder why you bother.i mean for a start most expats think that this forum is a joke and dont even read it and even some members have told me that the noisy ones on here are simply tolerated and qiietly laughed at.

Also the fact that all the problems discussed are locals bussiness and not the expats, you have no powwer to change what happens in your adopted country and it is also not your business,

Gosh, didn't the motlley crewcome out in force, aswell as the speller natzies..holy toledo batman.

My post wasabout holidaying in Phuket and not about you sinister expats lives, living in a place you seem to hate.

I very much doubt if any potential touristswould want to read this forum anyway but if they did your vitriolic ersponseswould change their mindreal fast you would stop most intetrest in visiters coming at all. Appreciate the good points and encourage people to holiday there not discourage them as your posts could do

Look thru your postsyou people, itsall doom and gloom and horror that you are promoting on here> why? Hidden agendas maybe or just a touch of senilty from a few haters.Beats me.

Even reading all the postson tuks etc i wonder why you bother.i mean for a start most expats think that this forum is a joke and dont even read it and even some members have told me that the noisy ones on here are simply tolerated and qiietly laughed at.

Also the fact that all the problems discussed are locals bussiness and not the expats, you have no powwer to change what happens in your adopted country and it is also not your business,

You are (presumably) deliberately missing the point.

The sub heading of your post was "Why all the negatives from the local expats?".

The expats are telling you why - coming here for a holiday is entirely different to living here.

It has also been pointed out to you that this expat forum is a great place to talk about the realities of life here (generally not seen by tourists staying for a few weeks). Its not a PR site to encourage tourism!

Having said that, even the most jaded expat will tell you that there is a lot to love here (the scenery, weather etc.). It is up to the individual to decide whether the positives outweigh the negatives and then decide whether to stay. That decision is up to them - not you.

Thank you so much for your insight on what expats think of the forum - we needed a tourist to tell us what we are thinking.

Didn't take too long before true identity showed.

All the best of luck, student of studying human behavioural studies.

:) The 'I've been here longer than you, I know more than you, I can urinate further up the wall than you' attitude, that plagues this sub forum, is hardly what I would call a helping hand to newbies.

but if its as bad as you say..dont talk..just move away..

I'm afraid that logic won't cut it here mate.

P.S.: You're going to use a spell checker for the thesis, don't you?

Being grammatically incorrect, while criticising someones spelling. Brilliant.

Sure in this subforum as well as elsewhere on TV a lot of whining is done by the "expats".

Of course there are things to complain about in Phuket, as I noticed for instance after having parked my car in a place taxi drivers considered to be theirs. The guy who ordered me to move straight away certainly wasn't smiling.

But I can't escape the feeling many of those whiners are simply ill adapted people who didn't make much of an an effort to learn the language and try to fit in generally, adopting a different code of behaviour and changing the expectations you have of other people. Settling abroad you have to learn to go with the flow, and it takes time to learn how. Even for instance Dutch people who settle just across the border in Germany because housing is cheaper there often have a hard time initially.

Oh well, in a forum for Thai people who settled in the US probably also a lot of whining would be done.

Nice post mate.

Only on the Phuket sub forum, would a nice, positive post, after a holiday to Phuket, turn in to a 'I live here, I know more than you, I think it's sh*t' thread. (first few replies excluded) The fact that you hone in on that, rather than the fact that someone's had a great holiday, is what's so unfortunate. And before anybody mentions, that he commented on 'expats moaning' in the title of his post, let's not pretend the outcome would have been any different if he hadn't.

Only on the Phuket sub forum, would a nice, positive post, after a holiday to Phuket, turn in to a 'I live here, I know more than you, I think it's sh*t' thread. (first few replies excluded) The fact that you hone in on that, rather than the fact that someone's had a great holiday, is what's so unfortunate. And before anybody mentions, that he commented on 'expats moaning' in the title of his post, let's not pretend the outcome would have been any different if he hadn't.

Yes, heaven forbid anybody actually having a positive experience or enjoyable holiday in Phuket. The ironic thing is this guys original post was then totally confirmed by the usual belly-achers who only reveal their own inability to deal with Thais.

As if Phuket is the only place with social or infrastructure problems..................