Thaksin Happy To Tackle Expats Problems

sriracha john

Some months ago we had a thread when an immigration official was misquoted. Lots of people had opinions but no one was willing to act. Everyone had an opinion and everyone had a personal agenda.

A lobby group as LaoPo suggested is a great idea and would be relatively easy to setup. With a lobby group small changes could easily be made in Thai thinking which could make a big difference to foreigners living in Thailand. The two sore points that continually crop up with foreigners in Thailand are Visa requirements and land ownership. A Lobby group could easily bring these points to the government's attention without being a thorn in their side. Maybe they just have to be politely persuaded that most foreigners are actually good for Thailand and if foreigners feel secure it will be good for Thailand as well.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some months ago we had a thread when an immigration official was misquoted.  Lots of people had opinions but no one was willing to act.  Everyone had an opinion and everyone had a personal agenda.

A lobby group as LaoPo suggested is a great idea and would be relatively easy to setup.  With a lobby group small changes could easily be made in Thai thinking which could make a big difference to foreigners living in Thailand.  The two sore points that continually crop up with foreigners in Thailand are Visa requirements and land ownership.  A Lobby group could easily bring these points to the government's attention without being a thorn in their side.  Maybe they just have to be politely persuaded that most foreigners are actually good for Thailand and if foreigners feel secure it will be good for Thailand as well.

Intelligent post.

Many times I feel sad when I see so many negative comments, people kicking a#ss toward the Thai, the Government and the PM in particular.

Many of the people on this forum seem to forget that we are visitors, guests if you like, in this country and that we have to adapt to the rules and laws and not the way around.

Of course many of us don't like the rules and laws regarding Visa and land ownership but making negative comments all the time really doesn't help. Do we really think anybody on 'top' in this country care about the 'rights' or wishes of Farangs?

That's why I put up the question about a lobby.

I realize it's easier said than actually done so.

BUT, we have to start somewhere/sometime and I think we have to try and win the support of some influent high ranked people, both (first) Thai and Farang, but maybe also from Far East countries like China, Japan, Singapore, Taiwan etc.

Most important are the Thai (high ranked people) themselves, because they know the 'inside' of the people on top; know how to speak, deal-and-wheel with them, explain the unrest amongst the foreigners, explain the win-win situation.

Maybe some of us know some high ranked people in different Embassies, Thai political parties....big Global Companies... try to speak to them on several occasions, dinners etc.

I didn't see any comment from George as of yet....unfortunately.

Anybody else maybe have some positive input regarding this Lobby?

thank you

LaoPo

Goodness, this thread has turned sensible all of a sudden :o

A lobby is an interesting concept. I'm wondering if it's got a sufficiently different agenda from the various chambers of commerce. (Granted that most of their activity is drinking, but only because that's what most of the members care about :D )

Is it that chambers of commerce are supposedly about business, but don't really represent the interests of retirees and other odd categories? Is it that they are all Bangkok-based? (How else would it be organised?)

Edited by The_Other_Mac

Many times I feel sad when I see so many negative comments, people kicking a#ss toward the Thai, the Government and the PM in particular.

First off, I support your concept of a lobby to effect change. Having said that, the PM, in particular, is due all the ridicule he receives. A quick review of his performance and acts over the past 4 years bears this out. From his shady assumption of duties with the Constitution Court ruling in his favor over hiding his money with his gardener, maid, etc. to the highly dubious murder of 2,600 alledged drug dealers to lying to the World over bird flu epidemic to the appaling Tak Bai massacre. I could easily go on for hours.

Most importantly is, that at least in my case, the displeasure with him that I voice with his administration comes from my concern for Thailand and the Thai people that I respect and love. They deserve so much better.

Edited by sriracha john

As visitors in this country it is important to remember just who we are. We might not like the politics, or the prime minister or the visa office or the local tuk -tuk driver - but that's our own personal problem, not the problem of Thailand, our host country (assuming you are settled here and trying to make a future - as many of us are). We have to fit in with what are currently the rules, regulations, or processes. We may not like it and we might protest loudly and continually, but we should do it politely, thoughtfully and tactfully.

To win any respect for what we / you consider is "our cause" will take time and effort and appropriate effort in the right areas, whether this is to the prime-minister, the local politician etc. An appropriate approach is not pointing out what you might consider to be their short comings but constructive dialogue as to why we can be a benefit to Thailand and how (some or us) are working and supporting families, paying taxes and adding value to the country.

From my own personal view point, if you are not adding anything constructive to Thailand – stay out of the discussion as you are only a hindrance to those who are trying to develop a future here, furthermore, if you don’t like or can’t accept Thailand for what it is and it’s a problem for you – go back home and the sooner the better.

Goodness, this thread has turned sensible all of a sudden :D

A lobby is an interesting concept. I'm wondering if it's got a sufficiently different agenda from the various chambers of commerce. (Granted that most of their activity is drinking, but only because that's what most of the members care about :D )

Is it that chambers of commerce are supposedly about business, but don't really represent the interests of retirees and other odd categories? Is it that they are all Bangkok-based? (How else would it be organised?)

Numbers is the first step. you can only create influence by numbers. That is essentially achieved by membership ( dues) and that requires a formal organisation. That should go accross nationalities (Some have allready some form of organisation i.e. the Irish, The Belgians etc. ) It requires a declaration of common interest that the members will adhere to, a national HQ (Bkk) with local chapters, i.e. the 4 regions and within the regions provincial... It is doable and the backbone can be set up relatively easy. TV could be the initial source for membership. ( with some vetting of course :D I'm retiring in a couple of years ( maybe, i hate the idea :o ), and very much willing to work with a number of people on the set up.

First off, I support your concept of a lobby to effect change. Having said that, the PM, in particular, is due all the ridicule he receives. A quick review of his performance and acts over the past 4 years bears this out. From his shady assumption of duties with the Constitution Court ruling in his favor over hiding his money with his gardener, maid, etc. to the highly dubious murder of 2,600 alledged drug dealers to lying to the World over bird flu epidemic to the appaling Tak Bai massacre. I could easily go on for hours.

Most importantly is, that at least in my case, the displeasure with him that I voice with his administration comes from my concern for Thailand and the Thai people that I respect and love. They deserve so much better.

BRAVO X 3

As visitors in this country it is important to remember just who we are. We might not like the politics, or the prime minister or the visa office or the local tuk -tuk driver - but that's our own personal problem, not the problem of Thailand, our host country (assuming you are settled here and trying to make a future - as many of us are). We have to fit in with what are currently the rules, regulations, or processes. We may not like it and we might protest loudly and continually, but we should do it politely, thoughtfully and tactfully.

To win any respect for what we / you consider is "our cause" will take time and effort and appropriate effort in the right areas, whether this is to the prime-minister, the local politician etc. An appropriate approach is not pointing out what you might consider to be their short comings but constructive dialogue as to why we can be a benefit to Thailand and how (some or us) are working and supporting families, paying taxes and adding value to the country.

From my own personal view point, if you are not adding anything constructive to Thailand – stay out of the discussion as you are only a hindrance to those who are trying to develop a future here, furthermore, if you don’t like or can’t accept Thailand for what it is and it’s a problem for you – go back home and the sooner the better.

We are visitors to this country and can change some shortcomings over a long period if we do it tactfully.

A constructive dialogue has been initiated by the governor of Ro-et years ago. He invited a group of foreigners to these OTOP meetings. Foreigners where asked to express their opinions about local Thai products suitable for export. He also mentioned that we are always welcome to express our request for special matters. We could and can still express our opinions and suggestions in a very constructive way.

Other examples include highly ranked government officials pay courtesy visits to foreigners to engage themselfs in the needs of the foreign community here. The dialogue exists.

Laopo, although it might be easier for foreign companies to come in and invest, on the other end of the Land Buying scale it would make all these farang cowboy "land developers" and many locals even more greedy than they already are. Just take a look at Samui. People here have changed so much since the land boom started, and now the deceit and corruption is totally out of control. People are actually paying land office officials money to grant deeds for government land and then sell it on to foreigners who rush to develope it and sell to foreign Retirees etc. This is stealing from the government, stealing Thailands heritage, destroying moral values and destroying the environment.

There are laws in place to buy land for all of us, and they are there to protect the Thai people from greedy developers as well as themselves.

If the whole country were like Samui, there would be mad anarchy and greed everywhere, and the Thailand we love would not exist anymore.

It would be interesting to see if we could win the support of the Government (the PM) and convince them of the enormous win-win situation for the Thai people and country if the laws could change in such a way that it would be more easy for foreigners to be able to buy/sell real estate and land.

What do you think?

LaoPo

We are visitors to this country and can change some shortcomings over a long period if we do it tactfully.

A constructive dialogue has been initiated by the governor of Ro-et  years ago. He invited a group of foreigners to these OTOP meetings. Foreigners where asked to express their opinions about local Thai products suitable for export. He also mentioned that we are always welcome to express our request for special matters. We could and can still express our opinions and suggestions in a very constructive way.

Other examples include highly ranked government officials pay courtesy visits to foreigners to engage themselfs in the needs of the foreign community here. The dialogue exists.

If a dialogue exists, it is but a very faint whisper. That's wonderful what the Governor of Roi-Et is doing, but there are certainly more pressing issues than what OTOP products will sell abundantly overseas, which sounds more like unpaid consultant work, than a true discussion of issues affecting the foreign community. The second portion of his dialogue is certainly more impressive and I'd be most curious as to what type of requests he's receieved and the actions he took. If the Governor was to publish in some type of format these interactions, it would truly go a long way to improve the "dialogue" and communication.

As for the foreign community at large, these could certainly be improved on a wide variety of issues with the responsible ministries/departments by increased communication. Ad hoc committees of foreigners, which could work with Immigration, Labor (Labour), Education, among others, to improve conditions for the literally thousands of people involved and thusly improve Thailand as well.

This, however, requires forethought and concern and a willingness to truly discuss issues... unfortunately, the current government possesses none of these traits.

Laopo, although it might be easier for foreign companies to come in and invest, on the other end of the Land Buying scale it would make all these farang cowboy "land developers" and many locals even more greedy than they already are. Just take a look at Samui.

Thank you for your comment.

1. The 'Lobby' I spoke about is not meant for 'land developers', just for the individual. Why not have an individual, like in Florida, Italy, France or Spain, buy a small piece of land+house?

2. I happen to know that in the past 2 years thousands and thousands of Rai have been bought on Samui by the ultra-'top' of the country. Now, who's talking about speculation by 'farangs'? And that's not only happening on Samui...

3. Yes there are a few Farang and Farang/Thai developers on the island but the majority of developers are Thai and Samui locals.

4. Yes, I'm aware of the change on Samui, like you. When I came for the first time in '89 the main street of Chaweng was still reasonable quiet late at night.

That was the same, some 30 years ago on Patong beach/Phuket when it was a virgin beach with just 1 hotel and some bungalow operations and still no telephonelines in place.

5. To blame the developers is shortsighted; it's the word-of-mouth and the enormous PR for Thailand by the Thai government which 'caused' the demand for a nice house (and land that is) and love for the country and it's 'special' attractions. I leave it to the imagination of the readers what I mean.

To leave the system at it is and NOT to bring a Lobby to its feet 'because' it would be a nicer and more quiet country, sothat 'we' can have 'our' country for ourselves, is naiv.

LaoPo

1. The 'Lobby' I spoke about is not meant for 'land developers', just for the individual. Why not have an individual, like in Florida, Italy, France or Spain, buy a small piece of land+house?

To leave the system at it is and NOT to bring a Lobby to its feet 'because' it would be a nicer and more quiet country, sothat 'we' can have 'our' country for ourselves, is naiv.

LaoPo,

If we set up a lobby organisation, that would be one of the member entry criteria.

Small owner ship

Problem is a lot of people out here who are in that position, will not sign up as they are afraid to rock the boat and risk to loose what they've got sofar. Records would have to be kept and these cannot be secured.

LaoPo,

If we set up a lobby organisation, that would be one of the member entry criteria.

Small owner ship

Problem is a lot of people out here who are in that position, will not sign up as they are afraid to rock the boat and risk to loose what they've got sofar. Records would have to be kept and these cannot be secured.

You could be very right.

But what would be the alternative? Leave everything as it is?

We could do that but stop the complaints about the system and laws and try and find 'intelligent' ways of 'owning-buying-selling' land and house, instead of the 30 year lease and company structures.

LaoPo

lobby groups are fine, but you need a "conduit" to the people/departments that can make change happen. In this case the conduit would be people(thai or non-thai) with contacts and influence.The key is getting these people to sympathise with your group, otherwise it will be nothing but a lonely wingers club.

Edited by penelope

lobby groups are fine, but you need a "conduit" to the people/departments that can make change happen. In this case the conduit would be people(thai or non-thai) with contacts and influence.The key is getting these people to sympathise with your group, otherwise it will be nothing but a lonely wingers club.

I agree that will be a requirement. however that needs to be taken care of after the group has been set up. The first hurdle to take is to get the people to buy in on the idea.

And that in my mind is the biggest problem. It is so easy to complain and winge in the anomity of a forum

PM happy to tackle foreigners’ complaints

Published on May 08, 2005

Foreign visitors and expatriates have joined locals to air their problems via the grievance box located in front of Baan Phitsanulok, the prime minister’s official residence.

“I am pleased to try and tackle problems for Thais as well as foreigners. Many problems have come to my attention through the grievance box,” Thaksin Shinawatra said yesterday in his weekly radio talk.

Thaksin said he had gained new perspectives from reading a myriad of complaints.

“An eight-year-old girl wrote me from Virginia, the United States, recounting her memorable visit to Thailand. She is wise beyond her age as she helps me to realise that many pristine beaches are deteriorating due to inadequate conservation,” he said.

He said the central govern-ment might have to intervene to restore a number of tourist attractions because local authorities are not ready to stand on their own and run conservation programmes.

In another complaint, an anonymous expatriate said immigration officials appeared to lack courtesy and work enthusiasm when processing visa applications, he said.

This complaint had been forwarded to the Immigration Bureau with a note reminding relevant officials that they had better shape up or else face the consequences, he said.

Many complaints were family-related problems. Authorities had assisted in tracking down missing family members and solving domestic disputes.

The prime minister said he recently intervened to initiate a review on a Bt28,000 tariff imposed on free medication sent by the Canadian authorities to a Canadian expatriate.

“I believe someone might have overlooked that the medication was sent for humanitarian reasons,” he said.

So let's forget that a man (Thai) will walk free after murdering two people (farang) in front of numerous eye witnesses.

Let's forget that the whole system is corrupt to the core.

Let's forget the fact that food hygiene is close to non existent.

Let's forget ......................etc.

Let's concentrate our time on making the beaches pretty for an 8 year old girl who lives in the U.S.A., the immigration officials smile nicely at us and the import duty on medication is reduced.

Okay?

Many of the people on this forum seem to forget that we are visitors, guests if you like, in this country and that we have to adapt to the rules and laws and not the way around.

Of course many of us don't like the rules and laws regarding Visa and land ownership but making negative comments all the time really doesn't help.

Do we really think anybody on 'top' in this country care about the 'rights' or wishes of Farangs?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No and they make it obvious that all that is required from a farang is their cash. Farang have few rights and very little ultimate protection in Thailand but can still be relied upon for much needed revenue for the government. So why should they change the system?

Thais are motivated by two and only two factors - face and money.

So, the question must first be addressed, "What's in it for the Thai?"

It is only when money is at risk (rules get so restrictive that foreigeners stop coming in the numbers they do) or face is at risk (corruption and injustice are broadcast to such a degree that the nation becomes the subject of ridicule) that they will really listen let alone actually make any concessions.

Is this not obvious?

No and they make it obvious that all that is required from a farang is their cash. Farang have few rights and very little ultimate protection in Thailand but can still be relied upon for much needed revenue for the government. So why should they change the system?

It is only when money is at risk (rules get so restrictive that foreigeners stop coming in the numbers they do) or face is at risk (corruption and injustice are broadcast to such a degree that the nation becomes the subject of ridicule) that they will really listen let alone actually make any concessions.

Is this not obvious?

That's right and why should they care? It's their country and farang are the ones coming to visit..sometimes for dubious purposes. They can write whatever rules they want into their big fat rulebook. If farang or anyone else don't like it them i'm sure there are other countries in the world available for tourism or retirement purposes. The griping only tells me that some people will take it on the chin no matter what afterall it's what the thai government expects. So who's the dummy? If it was my country I would be juicing every last baht I could from farang (kwai) too.

A constructive dialogue has been initiated by the governor of Ro-et  years ago. He invited a group of foreigners to these OTOP meetings. Foreigners where asked to express their opinions about local Thai products suitable for export. He also mentioned that we are always welcome to express our request for special matters. We could and can still express our opinions and suggestions in a very constructive way.

If a dialogue exists, it is but a very faint whisper. That's wonderful what the Governor of Roi-Et is doing, but there are certainly more pressing issues than what OTOP products will sell abundantly overseas, which sounds more like unpaid consultant work, than a true discussion of issues affecting the foreign community. The second portion of his dialogue is certainly more impressive and I'd be most curious as to what type of requests he's receieved and the actions he took. If the Governor was to publish in some type of format these interactions, it would truly go a long way to improve the "dialogue" and communication.

As for the foreign community at large, these could certainly be improved on a wide variety of issues with the responsible ministries/departments by increased communication. Ad hoc committees of foreigners, which could work with Immigration, Labor (Labour), Education, among others, to improve conditions for the literally thousands of people involved and thusly improve Thailand as well.

This, however, requires forethought and concern and a willingness to truly discuss issues... unfortunately, the current government possesses none of these traits.

Possesses none of these traits, dialogue is a faint whisper.

These and other expressions are often used here, so why should some foreigner write about some positive experience. Further positive publications would be dismantled.

PS: I do not answer any further replies.

Is this not obvious?

That's right and why should they care? It's their country and farang are the ones coming to visit..sometimes for dubious purposes. They can write whatever rules they want into their big fat rulebook. If farang or anyone else don't like it them i'm sure there are other countries in the world available for tourism or retirement purposes. The griping only tells me that some people will take it on the chin no matter what afterall it's what the thai government expects. So who's the dummy? If it was my country I would be juicing every last baht I could from farang (kwai) too.

I totally agree and ultimately if there were nothing in it for the Thais, they could even take the radical step of closing their country to certain sections of the world's population that would be their right.

I also agree with the statement that,"If it was my country I would be juicing every last baht I could from farang (kwai) too".

My point is that the only way to achieve any form of security, rights or equality for foreigners in Thailand is not to sit down and discuss it with Thais (because as we all know you just get a smile and a lie), but for them to lose face or money.

If the situation got too unworkable then farang would boycott/ not visit the country and the Thais may then allow more rights in order to reintroduce farang funding of the economy.

This is the only way the Thais will change their stance and clearly the situation is agreable (on balance, at present) for the farang who live and visit so why should the Thais give an inch, after all it is their country.

Is this not obvious?

I totally agree and ultimately if there were nothing in it for the Thais, they could even take the radical step of closing their country to certain sections of the world's population that would be their right.

I also agree with the statement that,"If it was my country I would be juicing every last baht I could from farang (kwai) too".

My point is that the only way to achieve any form of security, rights or equality for foreigners in Thailand is not to sit down and discuss it with Thais (because as we all know you just get a smile and a lie), but for them to lose face or money.

If the situation got too unworkable then farang would boycott/ not visit the country and the Thais may then allow more rights in order to reintroduce farang funding of the economy.

This is the only way the Thais will change their stance and clearly the situation is agreable (on balance, at present) for the farang who live and visit so why should the Thais give an inch, after all it is their country.

And any farang you might need to ally with to invoke change ie: those with influence and connections, are probably already in a sufficiently comfortable position within society..... so why should they risk their ass helping out the oppressed masses of farang society ?

Not if you can convince them with good arguments that there is clear economic benefit involved in the proposed changes.

You need reflective and charismatic people to represent you, the arguments need to be brief, clear, and well supported, and they must be presented with the right tone as well as in the right setting, where the government officials are relaxed. This is how lobbyism is done elsewhere, and it could work here too. You just have to adapt your tactics slightly to fit Thailand.

If you have constructive propositions for change which would also be beneficial for Thailand, let's hear them. We all know what the government has done wrong and it's been said so many times in other threads there is no point flogging that horse again. Let's hear what should be done, and more importantly - *how*.

Exactly my thoughts. so let's put it to the test then : find out who walks and who talks.

I'll put up a poll with a very simple basic postion that requires a simple yes/no answer.

We let it run for a month, just so everybody on this forum has an opportunity to state his position.

The question :

ARE YOU WILLING TO PARTICIPATE, SUSCRIBE TO A SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP OF FOREIGNERS (CURRENTLY RESIDING IN THAILAND, OR LOOKING TO RESIDE THERE IN THE FUTURE) THAT WILL LOBBY WITH THE OFFICIALS IN THAILAND TO CHANGE THE CURRENT LEGAL SITUATION OF FOREIGNERS NOT BEING ALLOWED TO OWN PROPERTY IN THE COUNTRY?

I'll wait until the 16th for comments or rephrasing of the question and then put up the poll

Exactly my thoughts. so let's put it to the test then : find out who walks and who talks.

I'll put up a poll with a very simple basic postion that requires a simple yes/no answer.

We let it run for a month, just so everybody on this forum has an opportunity to state his position.

The question :

ARE YOU WILLING TO PARTICIPATE, SUSCRIBE TO A SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP OF FOREIGNERS (CURRENTLY RESIDING IN THAILAND, OR LOOKING TO RESIDE THERE IN THE FUTURE) THAT WILL LOBBY WITH THE OFFICIALS IN THAILAND TO CHANGE THE CURRENT LEGAL SITUATION OF FOREIGNERS NOT BEING ALLOWED TO OWN PROPERTY IN THE COUNTRY?

I'll wait until the 16th for comments or rephrasing of the question and then put up the poll

Well done, well said, Erwin1011 !

I'm in.

I have friends who did business with a daughter of TS; apart from that I know people who are friends of the Ambassador of 1 of the EU countries.

These people (Farang) own/run factories with a few thousand people on the payroll in Th.

Could be a start...

LaoPo