Cleaning Lady Stole Jewelery From Hotel Room

PuddingDis

I arrived in Bangkok August 2009. Ever since I've been in a hotel, I never changed. (Stupid of me, but I couldn't afford to pay for a house, they want months in advance and I don't have the money at the time and at the moment)

My three luggage are always locked except when I'm in the room, I never leave anything out of the bags except for my laptop. I have a box of jewelery always in my luggage.

SO. The box of jewelery had a precious gold watch (worth quite a lot, but it meant a lot to me as it was my grandfather's), some expensive-ish rings, beacelets and necklaces (grandmother's).

The last time I checked the box was start of December 2009. Just a few hours ago, I checked the box again and to my horror I found the gold-watch, 5 rings, and one bracelet had disappeared. I spent three or four hours unpacking and re-packing my bags, searching for them. I checked EVERYWHERE multiple times.

Conclusion:: The cleaning lady (or the guy, they take turns, OR SOMEONE ELSE) somehow opened my lock and stole the jewelery. They've always been there, in the box, I never took them out so there is NO other explanations.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to report this to the hotel owner, but I seriously doubt s/he will do anything other than probably laugh at me or pretend(?) to be shocked. The reason I didn't leave my jewelery in the hotel's safety box at the reception is I DON'T trust them one bit. Stupid? Perhaps. But I didn't think they'd actually open my lock and steal. Stupid. Yes. I know.

MY QUESTION IS::: The chances of the hotel doing anything or refunding are slim to none, so should I even bother to report this to the police? Would it change anything? What would you guys do?

Tough.

Did it ever exist ?

Someone who does not have enough money to put a month's deposit on a condo or house is staying in a (presumably) cheap hotel suddenly has numerous pieces of expensive jewellery in his room ?

I wouldn't believe you if I were the hotel manager, police or man at the end of the bar. Sorry.

Maybe if you offered the police a reward for the items they would make some real attempts to find out who stole the goods.

It might be worth mentioning this plan to the people on reception before you do it. I'm not sure how I would proceed, I would want to make trouble for them though.

Need a police report for an insurance claim. Other than that not much you can do.

Never leave anything of value in your hotel room unless its locked up in a safe. (even then chance that might get nicked) Safety deposit box at front desk would be best bet - usually need two keys to open. (heaps harder to steal from) If you are still unsure then find a place in room they would not look. (locked luggage is a dead give away that smth of value is in there)

Tough.

Did it ever exist ?

Someone who does not have enough money to put a month's deposit on a condo or house is staying in a (presumably) cheap hotel suddenly has numerous pieces of expensive jewellery in his room ?

I wouldn't believe you if I were the hotel manager, police or man at the end of the bar. Sorry.

It's a long story I don't feel like sharing at 2:23am. The jewelery exists, the hotel isn't expensive, blah blah blah. Thank you for the nonsense response.

Maybe if you offered the police a reward for the items they would make some real attempts to find out who stole the goods.

It might be worth mentioning this plan to the people on reception before you do it. I'm not sure how I would proceed, I would want to make trouble for them though.

Hmm. The reward idea sounds good to me, but I don't know if they'd bother if I offered just 20,000 baht, since that's pretty much all I can afford to offer. Perhaps my dad could send me some extra money. But thanks!

Need a police report for an insurance claim. Other than that not much you can do.

Never leave anything of value in your hotel room unless its locked up in a safe. (even then chance that might get nicked) Safety deposit box at front desk would be best bet - usually need two keys to open. (heaps harder to steal from) If you are still unsure then find a place in room they would not look. (locked luggage is a dead give away that smth of value is in there)

Ahh, thanks! I'll keep that in mind next time I go to a foreign country! I was afraid a staff would steal from the reception safety box. But yeah, thanks!

Edited by PuddingDis

It's a long story I don't feel like sharing at 2:23am. The jewelery exists, the hotel isn't expensive, blah blah blah. Thank you for the nonsense response.

You may feel it is nonsense but as you confirm, you have no money, your hotel is cheap and now you have lost mega money jewellery you were carrying around the world "locked" in a backpack. Perhaps you would care to share what you will tell the police if you report it. Forget insurance as even if you have any they will not pay out as it was not in a safe.

Have you got a receipt from customs for the temporary import of such valuable jewellery ?

You may feel it is nonsense but as you confirm, you have no money, your hotel is cheap and now you have lost mega money jewellery you were carrying around the world "locked" in a backpack. Perhaps you would care to share what you will tell the police if you report it. Forget insurance as even if you have any they will not pay out as it was not in a safe.

Have you got a receipt from customs for the temporary import of such valuable jewellery ?

he never said he had no money, he said he had no money at the time to pay the deposit on a house hence he is staying in a hotel.

why do some posters choose to misread posts and look to try and belittle another poster by posting crap?

and expensive-ish now means mega money, get real, what is expensive to one person may not expensive to another. Also there is no mention of a backpack, or travelling around the world. It seems like you read what was written, ignore what was written and spout your own shit to make your crap post seem better.

he never said he had no money, he said he had no money at the time to pay the deposit on a house hence he is staying in a hotel.

why do some posters choose to misread posts and look to try and belittle another poster by posting crap?

and expensive-ish now means mega money, get real, what is expensive to one person may not expensive to another. Also there is no mention of a backpack, or travelling around the world. It seems like you read what was written, ignore what was written and spout your own shit to make your crap post seem better.

No, just look at the op post.

If you have expensive jewelery with a emotional value you don't keep them in your F@#ING suitcase with a 0.50C lock on it for a few months, except if your name is ST#@ID.

So don't blaim posters about depositing crap if they just telling you the trued, or next time just tell us what he wants to hear maybe i cantell him that he is a smart guy.

Can't do anything, police and hotels staff don't do anything because who in world is going to take the OP serious, Police make a report and that's it.

Or you have cash, if you tell them that they get something if you get the expensive jewelery back, they don't believe you and dont believe you have expensive jewelery.l

I bet that getting money from a insurance company is going to be a struggle as well.

So basically you F#@KT

Sorry for your loss - this is upsetting, I'm sure. Hindsight is wonderful - like "you should have left the items home".

There are furnished condos - for about 5,500 Baht. I even rented one for a visitor of 2 weeks. The hairdresser knew about this girl staying elsewhere... it would be outside the city though. I'm only mentioning this to give you a perspective and ideas to search for alternative accommodation.

Chris

post-7704-1265763694_thumb.jpg

Dont bother reporting it to police; just mention to hotel manager so that at least they can be aware of one staff stealing. Dont expect any compensation from the hotel. I also lost 1000 USD cash a few years ago from a cheapish hotel in bkk- my fault for being lax withg valuables- lesson learned.

Do report it to the police and get a copy of the report as you will need it for any insurance claim; assuming you have insurance.

We all learn from experience, and leaving expensive items in a suitcase in a hotel room anywhere in the world is an invitation to have them stolen. You won't get much interest from the hotel management, and no chance of any compensation. They are bound to have notices warning guests not to leave valuables in their room and saying that the management are not liable for any loss if you do.

Do report it to the police and get a copy of the report as you will need it for any insurance claim; assuming you have insurance.

We all learn from experience, and leaving expensive items in a suitcase in a hotel room anywhere in the world is an invitation to have them stolen. You won't get much interest from the hotel management, and no chance of any compensation. They are bound to have notices warning guests not to leave valuables in their room and saying that the management are not liable for any loss if you do.

Forget it. It is gone. It is hard enough to recover anything over here even if you had concrete evidence including a video, or picture, or even a witness. In this case is just you word

Sorry to hear about your predicament.

I think there would be more than a few who have felt the same sick feeling of getting back to your room and finding stuff missing. I know i have.

IMHO, as hard as it seems i think the best thing for your sanity is to get on with life and try to forget it. :)

From my experiences to pursue it with ANYONE here will only drive you more crazy and only serve to make you more angry and frustrated..which is not what you want, on top of the grief of loosing the valuables.

The hotel manager will suggest maybe you lost it while travelling, left it somewhere, maybe customs at airport ect ect

After exhausting all such other excuses they will ask if you've had other people/girls in your room..and you can see where its going to go after that....They will say they have honest staff been with them for years ect..Blame everyone and everything except hotel basically.

They will most probably want to take you to the local police to report it, but really only to cover their own ars€ by telling THEIR story in Thai to the police, so as to protect the reputation of the hotel.

Police officer will ask all the same questions as did hotel guy and sit there half listening with a goofy grin.

Report will be a small paragraph written in Thai which will most probably end up as slam dunk fodder for waistbin as soon as you leave.

The only way you will come out ahead in LOS is to always think on the mild side of paranoia, cover your every moove and try to stay one step ahead of any possible trouble/loss/scams

Sad but true :D

good luck to you

No, just look at the op post.

If you have expensive jewelery with a emotional value you don't keep them in your F@#ING suitcase with a 0.50C lock on it for a few months, except if your name is ST#@ID.

So don't blaim posters about depositing crap if they just telling you the trued, or next time just tell us what he wants to hear maybe i cantell him that he is a smart guy.

Can't do anything, police and hotels staff don't do anything because who in world is going to take the OP serious, Police make a report and that's it.

Or you have cash, if you tell them that they get something if you get the expensive jewelery back, they don't believe you and dont believe you have expensive jewelery.l

I bet that getting money from a insurance company is going to be a struggle as well.

So basically you F#@KT

erm excuse me? this fool has so many innacuracies in his response, talkimg about backpacks etc. the OP already knows it should not have been kept that way, but at least respond to the post and not what you think is written or should be written.

last time I empathise with you in your thread about your missus getting boned by some Italian, maybe I should post in there and say that any foold knows that if you leave your missus for a month every time some lothario is going to smooth in on her. Hopefully this example will let you see the hypocrisy in your post.

the main thing going against you is ..."The last time I checked the box was start of December 2009. Just a few hours ago, I checked the box again and to my horror I found the gold-watch, 5 rings, and one bracelet had disappeared." It is now Feb2010.

**removed**

Edited by cdnvic
removed content in violation of forum rules - and Thai law

Guess we were the lucky ones, while we were staying in Koh Samui my wife lost a gold necklace with a huge red ruby surrounded by diamonds amulet worth more then five thousand dollars. My wife noticed it missing when we got back to the States. I sent an e-mail to the resort where we stayed and informed them of my wifes loss expecting the worst, because as far as my wife and I know she could have lost it anywhere. To our surprise a few days later the manager of the resort returned my e-mail and said that the cleaning lady found the necklace in the back of the headboard. A week later we received the necklace, and the cool thing was they even paid for the shipping cost. The next year we went back to the hotel and immediately asked for the maid and handed her two thousand baht as appreciation, we were also going to give the manager a tip but he no longer worked at the resort.

Guess we were the lucky ones, while we were staying in Koh Samui my wife lost a gold necklace with a huge red ruby surrounded by diamonds amulet worth more then five thousand dollars. My wife noticed it missing when we got back to the States. I sent an e-mail to the resort where we stayed and informed them of my wifes loss expecting the worst, because as far as my wife and I know she could have lost it anywhere. To our surprise a few days later the manager of the resort returned my e-mail and said that the cleaning lady found the necklace in the back of the headboard. A week later we received the necklace, and the cool thing was they even paid for the shipping cost. The next year we went back to the hotel and immediately asked for the maid and handed her two thousand baht as appreciation, we were also going to give the manager a tip but he no longer worked at the resort.

Man, that is a great ending to a bad situation! Kudos to good people in the world. It is great that the hotel staff was honest and you and your wife were very nice in going back a giving a gift. I like to hear stories like this.

Normally in any hotels the same cleaners stick to the same rooms and floors,so you should be able to narrow it down to maybe one or two of them,you should always get to know who cleans your room!!

If the one or two are still cleaning your room i the would very clearly state to them first what has gone missing,before you go to see manager! give them a day or two to realize that if your items are not returned you will inform there boss and also the police.It has worked for me before in BKK and the next day the "cleaner" came knocking on my door with $800 and a very sorry excuse about why she did it?? and was more concerned about the fact i was getting the management and police involved.I got my money back and moved hotels,i thought about it for a couple of days and then went back and told the manager what had happened and left it up to him.

It is the only option you have left,it must be the cleaner so i would pull her/him and lay it on the line 2 days return or you go to the police and big boss!

It might work if they still have the gold?? If not put it down to experience and do not give the police any money for doing what they are supposed to do anyway.

"The cleaning lady (or the guy, they take turns, OR SOMEONE ELSE) somehow opened my lock and stole the jewelery. They've always been there, in the box, I never took them out so there is NO other explanations."

If they are still there and start sweating about losing there job and worse still the police being involved they quite possibly could return the items.but i would confront them first in the morning very early and you never know? It also depends on your standard of hotel and the relationship you have with the manager? If its a dive then you are <deleted>.

Edited by NADTATIDA1

"The cleaning lady (or the guy, they take turns, OR SOMEONE ELSE) somehow opened my lock and stole the jewelery. They've always been there, in the box, I never took them out so there is NO other explanations."

Before even finding out the truth so recklessly you blame the cleaning lady..."checked last December", "of sentimental value "......would anyone carry all these so-called valubales on his holiday in a cheap charlie hotel.... :)

So,

a: you were so careless to take such thing on a holiday

b: so careless to loose it the room

c: you rewarded her with 2.000 for something worth 170.000 ?

8.000 would have been nicer :-)

(in my country the finder even could sue you because she has the right to receive 20%)

This lesson was too cheap for you buddy, hope you loose it again, hahaha lol

Normally in any hotels the same cleaners stick to the same rooms and floors,so you should be able to narrow it down to maybe one or two of them,you should always get to know who cleans your room!!

If the one or two are still cleaning your room i the would very clearly state to them first what has gone missing,before you go to see manager! give them a day or two to realize that if your items are not returned you will inform there boss and also the police.It has worked for me before in BKK and the next day the "cleaner" came knocking on my door with $800 and a very sorry excuse about why she did it?? and was more concerned about the fact i was getting the management and police involved.I got my money back and moved hotels,i thought about it for a couple of days and then went back and told the manager what had happened and left it up to him.

It is the only option you have left,it must be the cleaner so i would pull her/him and lay it on the line 2 days return or you go to the police and big boss!

It might work if they still have the gold?? If not put it down to experience and do not give the police any money for doing what they are supposed to do anyway.

If they are still there and start sweating about losing there job and worse still the police being involved they quite possibly could return the items.but i would confront them first in the morning very early and you never know? It also depends on your standard of hotel and the relationship you have with the manager? If its a dive then you are <deleted>.

I would tell them, but they don't speak English, so I had to tell the receptionist. Maybe they will return at least a few things in a few days.

But thanks!

Before even finding out the truth so recklessly you blame the cleaning lady..."checked last December", "of sentimental value "......would anyone carry all these so-called valubales on his holiday in a cheap charlie hotel.... :)

Cheap, as in 800baht - 1000baht. Also, I couldn't leave the things at home in another country. Why? Because in the country I live in (Sri Lanka, if you people really must know) is not safe to leave ANYTHING at home, even if my house has a guardian. I made the mistake of leaving some stuff at home in SL, came back two months later to find everything gone. I've lived in Sri Lanka for over 10 years.

It wasn't at Honey House One in Soi 22, behind Larry's dive, was it?

Sorry for your loss, unless your stuff was insured, forget the cops.

If you do involve the cops, 5,000bt tea money, (for a result) should get some action.

No, but I did stay at that hotel last year. Is it not safe? :)

If you do involve the cops, 5,000bt tea money, (for a result) should get some action.

No. :D

If you were already planning on staying here 6+ months and did not wish to leave your valuables at a hotel you can rent a safety deposit box at a bank for ฿600-1000/yr.

Unfortunately I wasn't. Do all banks have safety deposits for rent?

No. :D

How come?