Transfering Extension Stamps To New Passport

I need to get a new British passport soon. I know that once I have it then I need to go to immigration to get my visa extension transfered to the new passport. Two questions :

1) Is there an immigration form I need to complete for this to happen?

2) Is there anything else I need from the British Consulate besides the new passport? Specifically, I seem to remember reading on TV that immigration want a letter from the Consulate confirming that they had issued a new passport (as opposed to me knocking one up myself with my pals from Soi 5!).

Has anybody had to do this recently?

The UK Embassy apparently does not provide the courtesy letter so Immigration will normally accept without. They do not transfer any visas - only extensions of stay or current entry stamps (stamps Immigration originally made) are transferred. There is a short form they will have you fill out with old/new passport numbers and such - not a form with a number as most.

The UK Embassy apparently does not provide the courtesy letter so Immigration will normally accept without. They do not transfer any visas - only extensions of stay or current entry stamps (stamps Immigration originally made) are transferred. There is a short form they will have you fill out with old/new passport numbers and such - not a form with a number as most.

Correct, renewed my British P/P last year and was not given any letter, Thai immigration transfers permission to stay stamps and put a stamp in P/P referencing my previous P/P number. If I remember correctly dont think I even filled out a form, just handed over new and old P/P's....could be wrong, if there was a form must have been very simple to fill it out... :)

Sorry I didn't find this thread.

I just posted my experience HERE - "Transfer of Visa Stamps etc...".

The bottom line is to watch out for any previous Multi Entry Re-entry Permit you had. It may not be t/f and then you wont have one. I almost killed my Visa that way.

Just use both passports,.

I have a 1 year extension and multiple entry permit in my old passport that and had a new passport issued in Phnom Penh. Made 3 trips in and out of thailand and since i live in Phuket and did not wsih to travel to phuket I did not have the the stamps transfered as you can only do that where the extension /re-entry permit was made.

I had no trouble or problem

Edited by phuketrichard

Last year I got a new passport from the Belgian Consulate in Bangkok, but no letter.

I had to go to the Immigration Office where the original (retirement) visa was issued, with the two passports.

I completed a special form, but did not need a “courtesy letter”.