Honda Phantom Ta200

griz47

My Phantom is 7 years old and still runs well with 42,xxx on the clock. Like Aitch 52 I replaced the chain and sprockets around 25,xxx and the cam chain tensioner at the same time.

I will probably replace the chain and sprockets in the new year and I am thinking of putting a different tooth sprocket on the front this time.

The Phantom has a 13/41 tooth setup and for every extra tooth on the front sprocket theoritically I get an extra 9 kph in top or the same speed with less rpm.

I will order the standard 13/41 set up and get my local guys to order me a14 and a 15 tooth as extras then chuck the 15 tooth in for a few weeks as a test.

See the attachment and play with the ratios yourselves.

Motorcycle Gearing.xls

Having just had my engine rebuilt, the torque is now much improved, so much so that I have changed my mind about the ratios The bike can comfortably get into top at 50-55kph and 65 is a comfortable and cruising speed for me.

So if it will fit using the existing chain I am going for a 14t on the front, if not they may have spare links handy and are able to refit them.

It will mean dropping down a gear for the inclines, when the bike is loaded, but no big deal with a 6 speed box.

I also have a problem with temporary "dead finger" on my right hand, on a long trip, due to the vibration and having been unable to find anti-vibration grips, will try some pipe insulation to see if that works. This will have another advantage for me:- I have quite big hands and the small diameter of the grips is uncomfortable so as with a tennis racket, the increase in grip diameter should improve the comfort level on a long trip.

Edited by AllanB

My Phantom is 7 years old and still runs well with 42,xxx on the clock. Like Aitch 52 I replaced the chain and sprockets around 25,xxx and the cam chain tensioner at the same time.

I will probably replace the chain and sprockets in the new year and I am thinking of putting a different tooth sprocket on the front this time.

The Phantom has a 13/41 tooth setup and for every extra tooth on the front sprocket theoritically I get an extra 9 kph in top or the same speed with less rpm.

I will order the standard 13/41 set up and get my local guys to order me a14 and a 15 tooth as extras then chuck the 15 tooth in for a few weeks as a test.

Motorcycle Gearing.xls

Having just had my engine rebuilt, the torque is now much improved, so much so that I have changed my mind about the ratios The bike can comfortably get into top at 50-55kph and 65 is a comfortable and cruising speed for me.

So if it will fit using the existing chain I am going for a 14t on the front, if not they may have spare links handy and are able to refit them.

It will mean dropping down a gear for the inclines, when the bike is loaded, but no big deal with a 6 speed box.

I also have a problem with temporary "dead finger" on my right hand, on a long trip, due to the vibration and having been unable to find anti-vibration grips, will try some pipe insulation to see if that works. This will have another advantage for me:- I have quite big hands and the small diameter of the grips is uncomfortable so as with a tennis racket, the increase in grip diameter should improve the comfort level on a long trip.

You might find fitting a throttle palm rest will give you some relief from discomfort. Have a look. You can buy them on Ebay as well and have it posted to Thailand http://www.crampbuster.com/how-motorcycle-wrist-rest-can-relieve-fatigue/ Edited by BirdsandBooze
  • Like 1

Motorcycle Gearing.xls

You might find fitting a throttle palm rest will give you some relief from discomfort. Have a look. You can buy them on Ebay as well and have it posted to Thailand http://www.crampbust...elieve-fatigue/

I am trying to visualise them on some tall apehanger bars and it doesn't work out.

It seems like a good idea though, thanks for the link.

This is what I had in mind http://www.ebay.co.u...cat=0&_from=R40, Item 1

I don't know whether they sell pipe insulation here, as they don't exactly need frost protection here, but maybe use it to keep water cool?

Thats just over 600 baht including postage. Not sooo expensive.

Just bought a pair in Khon Kaen, quite thin and a bit small for my bunches of bananas, but should be okay....wait for it.......Yee-sip baht.

This is what I had in mind http://www.ebay.co.u...cat=0&_from=R40, Item 1

I don't know whether they sell pipe insulation here, as they don't exactly need frost protection here, but maybe use it to keep water cool?

when making a long journey , i wear leather gloves which i brought over from the UK., not the gauntlet type.

they absorb the vibration , and make for a more comfortable journey.

Edited by elliss

I hear what you are saying and plan on wearing gloves on a trip, but only to shield my hands from UV, I am an ultra sweaty man (nice) and my hands would burn up in black leather.

Someone needs to design an airtex jacket with armour for hot weather biking, BMW do a range of these but they look like crap, but with a little flair, a cool logo and you could sell a lot.

Billd put me on to a site called fastcorner here in Thailand who sell clothing and gloves, seem to be very efficient, I ordered a couple of filters for a Virago and paid by ATM credit transfer. They should be here on Monday. I used to do a 370 km round trip most weekends for a year on the Phantom, learned from experience not to try and strangle the grips, just enough to control the throttle, that helps.

Any idea where I can get a 14T and 15T sprocket? My guys have been searching for a while now?

I think the problem with the Phantom is an identity crisis, it works nicely as a torquey engine until it gets above 60kph and then has to become revvy, which it doesn't do well.

I think it needs a 14t to cruise at 60kph or even 15T to cr uise at 65kph.

Just fitted a 14T drive sprocket and it is a tight fit in the housing, so much so that it juuuuust catches the alloy cover under slack chain of deceleration. The 14T sprocket comes from the Honda NSR200, which just requires the attenuator rubbers to be transferred and glued on with Superglue. will check in a few days after it has gone quite and report back, but obviously you can forget the 15T, it won't fit.

Now the result,. well good I would say, almost nothing lost in acceleration, though a tiny bit more clutch slip needed on take-off, but at 60kph the bike is very quite and smooth and as I want to cruise at 65-70 should still be nice.

I was told there were no smaller driven sprockets, so that is it, worth doing I think.

ok....just rode mine for about two weeks - after coming out from the workshop... ( of course it won't feel 'real' cos it's not a brand new bike.- how and what the previous owners did/didn't do e.g maintain affects the FEELING very much )

as in previous post... to up-date a little..

1.new oil on the first day ...wow....old oil is very dark... lol...

2.changed complete set of sprocket and chain

3.new Odometer cable - third one now...seems that the cable not 'placed' in the correct way.

4.new clutch cable

5.new tires .front and back

6. new paint / chrome...

7.new can tensioner - wouldn't want the risk of problem...

and some minor rubber here and there..

i'm not into fast bikes,,so, to ride at 60 -80 km/h...welll ok.no issue at all...

Power wise...a little under...handling is ok...( i used to ride dirt bike - BUT ...BUT.... that WAS ages ago !!! )

just some kind of knocking sound...guess it's the chain knocking into the frame...looking for hard rubber to line up at the affected area...

browse thru many forums....seems recomended that the rear sprocket is changed instead of the front ( fitting space issue )...and PERHAPS..bore the engine block to 250 CC ??

looking to fix up 'auto -oiling ' for my chains...can solve the issue of 'forgetting' to lub it and to prolong the life of the whole set..

that will be all,for the time being....lol..

Just fitted a 14T drive sprocket and it is a tight fit in the housing, so much so that it juuuuust catches the alloy cover under slack chain of deceleration. The 14T sprocket comes from the Honda NSR200, which just requires the attenuator rubbers to be transferred and glued on with Superglue. will check in a few days after it has gone quite and report back, but obviously you can forget the 15T, it won't fit.

Now the result,. well good I would say, almost nothing lost in acceleration, though a tiny bit more clutch slip needed on take-off, but at 60kph the bike is very quite and smooth and as I want to cruise at 65-70 should still be nice.

I was told there were no smaller driven sprockets, so that is it, worth doing I think.

Thank you for explaining about the 14 and 15 tooth front sprockets. The other option would be to put a smaller rear sprocket on but that doesn't give quite the same changes.

Download this and play with the front and rear sprockets ratios. The standard fit is 13:41.

Motorcycle Gearing.xls

As I mentioned, I was told there are no smaller sprockets for the driven, so let me know if I am wrong, that said I think the final drive I have now is pretty good.

After riding the bike for a few days now, I would say that everything is better and smoother with the 14T sprocket and I haven't been on a trip yet, which was the reason for the change. The chain should stretch marginally less too, a) because there is less torque and B) a larger driver sprocket spreads the power over more teeth... now I did say marginal.

We used to build off-road karts and dune buggies and used Silkolene chain lube on the corporate entertainment machines, it is really sticky stuff and would last 10 times longer than the cheap stuff. In my view this is a much better option that an auto-lube and leaving a trail of oil down the street, or drips on your driveway...maybe an exaggeration but they are messy things.

I was also told there are no big bore pistons for the Phantom, so let me know if I am wrong and the liner doesn't look thick enough to take it up to 250cc, so you may need a new liner and that is a lot of work. Then will the clutch and gearbox take the extra torque, it looks pretty flimsy to me.

My only issue with the Phantom now is the headlight, it is absolute crap, I tried fitting a higher wattage bulb, but it wasn't much better and blew after 3 months. I road my step-son's Honda Click and the lights were much better. There must be an answer without going for extra spots, as the alternator isn't that powerful. Any suggestions?

Edited by AllanB

ok....just rode mine for about two weeks - after coming out from the workshop... ( of course it won't feel 'real' cos it's not a brand new bike.- how and what the previous owners did/didn't do e.g maintain affects the FEELING very much )

as in previous post... to up-date a little..

1.new oil on the first day ...wow....old oil is very dark... lol...

2.changed complete set of sprocket and chain

3.new Odometer cable - third one now...seems that the cable not 'placed' in the correct way.

4.new clutch cable

5.new tires .front and back

6. new paint / chrome...

7.new can tensioner - wouldn't want the risk of problem...

and some minor rubber here and there..

i'm not into fast bikes,,so, to ride at 60 -80 km/h...welll ok.no issue at all...

Power wise...a little under...handling is ok...( i used to ride dirt bike - BUT ...BUT.... that WAS ages ago !!! )

just some kind of knocking sound...guess it's the chain knocking into the frame...looking for hard rubber to line up at the affected area...

browse thru many forums....seems recomended that the rear sprocket is changed instead of the front ( fitting space issue )...and PERHAPS..bore the engine block to 250 CC ??

looking to fix up 'auto -oiling ' for my chains...can solve the issue of 'forgetting' to lub it and to prolong the life of the whole set..

that will be all,for the time being....lol..

G'day

Perhaps the chain slider has gone, mine suddenly started making an awful racket as I was riding through town, stopped and saw a greasy horrible looking bit of black plastic material hanging down below the chain. It sits on top of the swinging arm below the chain, cost about 100 baht and the mechanic took about an hour or so to change it as it is quite a fiddly job. They had to order it from Honda Bangkok so it took about 3 days to arrive.

Put a 35 watt Halogen on mine for 100 Baht, at least 5 times brighter, they did not have any 25 watt ones which is the correct size and which I will go for when they get them in stock.

where do you get yours ?perhaps if you are in Pattaya area, i can pop into your place where you repair your bike to get mine fixed too...

i will check the chain slider too...thks !!

• Like 1

Put a 35 watt Halogen on mine for 100 Baht, at least 5 times brighter, they did not have any 25 watt ones which is the correct size and which I will go for when they get them in stock.

Are the standard ones not halogen? If so no wonder they are crap, standard car headlights are 55w x 2 and they are halogen now.

No standard lamps are not halogen, and you are right hey are pathetic.

Is that old clunker of yours still going?

Heh heh, going very well as it happens Bill as is the double clunker!! Trying to get some braided earthing cable to try and get a few more urgs into the starter, sometimes sounds good; at other times it's like a bag of spanners. Going to Pattaya for the New Year so will try and track some down there.

Edited by aitch52

• 3 weeks later...

Armed with a 35w halogen headlight, fantastic, I can actually see now, 100baht fits straight in easy-peasy and 14t driver sprocket, I set off on a 600km trip to the Loei mountains. With my cruising speed raised from 60 to 70, now perfect for Thai roads and in difficult conditions I use 5th instead of top.

What I wished I had done is lower the tyre pressures, the 29-30psi recommended is way too hard, I made a shorter 150km trip yesterday with only 25psi in and what a difference in comfort and see no danger in doing so, given the large tyre volume and relatively low load.

My only complaint and next job is to improve the saddle, mainly the pillion and fit a nice Sissy-bar. Then another 300km trip is planned.

I still think the Phantom needs an oil cooler, anyone fitted one, or have any ideas?

• Like 1

Yes the halogen bulb makes a world of difference. I found the seat to be like a paving slab after 60-70 kms, I got a replacement seat up here in Phitsanulok for 2800 baht and he gave me 900 baht trade in for the old seat. I think it may be a Chiang Rai saddlebags seat, it is deep butttoned and has much more padding and looks pretty too..

Tyre pressures I am not sure about, I ride with recommended 29psi. I think the solid wheels make for a harsher ride, I also have a spoked bike and the ride is much smoother over the much repaired (sic) roads here.

Edited by aitch52

• 3 months later...

Yes the halogen bulb makes a world of difference. I found the seat to be like a paving slab after 60-70 kms, I got a replacement seat up here in Phitsanulok for 2800 baht and he gave me 900 baht trade in for the old seat. I think it may be a Chiang Rai saddlebags seat, it is deep butttoned and has much more padding and looks pretty too..

Tyre pressures I am not sure about, I ride with recommended 29psi. I think the solid wheels make for a harsher ride, I also have a spoked bike and the ride is much smoother over the much repaired (sic) roads here.

A bit steep. I dropped mine in Chiang Rai, upon I got the address from CRSaddlebags and left it there a couple of days, I had a car anyway and spend some days in CR, damage 1200THB. Did not yet the monster tours, but it seems there is already improvement.

• 8 years later...

I am Mario Victor Vella from Malta

I have the Honda Phantom TA200 

For these last 20 years.

In these 20 years I only changed the rear Disk brake it was warned out 100% my fault. I had left the brakes pads until the metal of the brake pads touching the disk.

Now after 20 years the motor starter brushes I have to change, because they must be changed because the motor starter dose not functioning at all. I ordered one from England.

What can I say after 20 years ?.

I have my Custom Honda Phantom TA200 motorcycle that runs as a Rolls Royce engine with no problem at all. Very economic in fuel consumption easy to ride, and my recommendation is that my Honda Phantom TA200 is a type of motorcycle that last for life without any trouble at all, better than having a Harleys Davidson.

The only thing is that I have to order the parts from Thailand. 

But I bought some parts I might need in future .

The Phantom TA200 is a bike that gives me all the pleasure. 

After 20 years seems as a New Motorcycle. 

Thankyou for Honda to design the Phantom TA200. 

My e-mail address is [email protected]

In Malta everybody takes pictures of my Honda Phantom TA200 is metallic Blue in colour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am Mario Victor Vella from Malta 

I have a Honda Phantom TA200 Metalic Blue in colour.

I bought it 20 years ago brand new from Malta.

Parts changed till now

Rear brake Disk and the Brushes of the motor starter only

Obviously 4 times the tyers for my safty on the road.

If someone comes to day and ask me to part exchange it with a brand new Harly Davidson 100% I say NO.

My Thailand Honda Phantom TA200 has got a motor better than a Rolls Royce engine. After 20 years on the road it looks as brand new.

The parts I need I get them direct from Thailand. 

Here from Malta I say, Thankyou Thailand for Honda designed this beautiful TA200 motorcycle. 

My email address is 

[email protected] 

I wish to live in Thailand to join the Thailand Phantom TA200 Club.

Regards from Malta

Mario Victor Vella 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I recently bought a Honda Phantom and had it restored and refurbished. It now looks good and goes great. So far, I've had a couple of minor teething problems, but nothing serious and I'm very happy with the bike. I have one question though. I am new to riding motorbikes ( I've spent years on scooters in Thailand Cambodia and the Philippines - but not on bikes), so perhaps the issue is with me rather than the phantom, although I doubt it. The position of the foot-brake pedal seems odd to me. My foot, when placed on the foot rest, is positioned  below and to the right of the brake pedal. To engage the brake, I need to first raise my foot, move my foot to the left and then push down on the brake pedal. This might be a difficult maneuver to execute when needing to stop very quickly.  It also seems possible, if I were to slide my foot from right to left ( without first lifting my foot) then I will miss the brake pedal completely. I've looked at other phantoms and the brake pedal is configured the same way - it sits way above the foot rest. Has anyone experienced this problem and do you have any suggestions as to how to fix it !!  Many thanks and safe riding !!                

On 12/27/2012 at 12:14 PM, tmaker said:

where do you get yours ?perhaps if you are in Pattaya area, i can pop into your place where you repair your bike to get mine fixed too...

i will check the chain slider too...thks !!

Hi Tmaker . Are you still in Pattaya  if so let's meet up. I'd  like to put halogen bulbs into my bike and I'd appreciate any advice on how I might go about doing this !!