Nokia In Thailand

Tonto21

I am back in Thailand soon via Dubai, and am looking to buy a new Nokia n900. I didn’t know which is the best place to buy, Thailand or Dubai. I’m not coming via Europe. My question is this; has anyone else had problems with Nokia in Thailand, in the form of them, well, just being crap quality and packing up?

Would I be right in saying that Nokia has a manufacturing/assembly plant in Thailand and that they provide for Thai market? This will be my first venture in to a phone that can do more than; make calls and Tex. So far, been in Thailand 4+ years, 4+ phones later, all from Thailand, have they been Poor quality or am I just unlucky?

Saying all this I like Nokia, used them in the UK for years and never any problems there. Yes. I want a Nokia.

As I read this back to myself, I think I have answered my own question! However I would still value anyone’s opinion on the topic.

I recently bought a Nokia E71, the phone has been fine no issues with the quality, however I tried to buy a English only keypad from nokia CM, absolutely f***ing hopeless. They kept telling the part was ordered and would be there in 1 week and they would call when it came in, they never called, the part never arrived. After 6 weeks of this SH*t I gave up and got someone to buy it in Australia.

Good quality product, after sales service friendly and spoke English but apart from that useless.

We have two nokia phones, my old one from Australia (7 year old) and it never has a problem and a Nokia 5800 which is just about a year old now & was purchased here in Bangkok at the release of the 5800.

In the last 12 months the 5800 has <deleted> itself 3 times, each time being taken to Nokia care at MBK to have its glass & operation panel behind the glass replaced. The third time this happened was this week and we questioned the girl at Nokia care about this ongoing problem & the factory warranty expiring in a few days time, to which she told us if we had the same problem again, Nokia would attend to the repair. I am assuming that Nokia has had ongoing problems with this model of telephone.

The one thing that surprises me about the Nokai care centre, is it always seems to be very busy, people coming and going, there must be 20 operators there and a steady stream of people returning and picking up telephones, I guess theres millions of Nokia phones in Bangkok....not sure.

Nokia care staff at MBK have always been very helpful, efficient and in 2 of the 3 times we returned our phone it was ready to be picked up within a couple of hours, so I can't complain about the service they offer, pity I think the telephones a pile of <deleted>. :)

I recently purchased a Nokia 2730. The photo quality was horrendous. On my second trip to the Nokia Care Center it was explained to me that they needed to upgrade the software because the phone was being sold with unstable software.

They knew the camera was bad, they knew what the problem was, they knew how to fix it with a software upgrade, and they continued to sell the phone with bad software and no mention of the problem.

Since moving out here Ive purchased Nokia's N95, N96 and N97 (+5800 for the missus), all have been superb, any issues ive had Nokia care have been very helpful.

You do realize they are not made here dont you ??

Edited by Spoonman

Had two Nokia phones over 6 years here in Thailand which I've abused very badly (kicked, stomped on, dropped, soaked, etc.). They still keep tickin'. Bought a very expensive Sony-Siemens "smart phone" 7 years ago with all the bells & whistles (PalmPilot technology) which only lasted a month (didn't survive one drop-kick incident).

Edited by toptuan

Thanks for the responses. A bit of a mixed bag then, nothing really conclusive, maybe leaning towards me being a bit unluck.

I was lead to believe Nokia phones for Thailand were made in Thailand…. Does anyone know where they are made for the Thai market? And I know this is a bit of a long shot, but would anyone know if Dubai is on the same supply chain as Thailand for Nokia? As for prices, I don’t mind paying a little bit more for a better quality product. You know the saying: “buy cheap, pay twice”

Nokia does not make phone in Thailand. Nokia have (or at least) used to have a huge market share in Asia. Therefore you can expect that there are some millions of Nokia phones in Bangkok alone.

Quality should not differ between manufacturing sites.

-Pekka

There are parts made in Thailand, my wife used to work for Namki in Lamphun making the motors that make you phone vibrate.

Hi

I used to love Nokia but after quite a few Nokias going bad, really bad, i don’t use them anymore, my friend just bought a N97 mini i think they call it, after 2 days it got 3 dead pixels in the screen, and he is in Europe now and no warranty up there (bought in Thailand)

Hi

I used to love Nokia but after quite a few Nokias going bad, really bad, i don’t use them anymore, my friend just bought a N97 mini i think they call it, after 2 days it got 3 dead pixels in the screen, and he is in Europe now and no warranty up there (bought in Thailand)

Is it a real Nokia or Chinese knock off?

Hi

Is it a real Nokia or Chinese knock off?

Hi

Its the real thing, bought in Phuket, he just told me that battery life is not that good as well, maybe it dont like the cold weather in Europe right now :)

I have a Nokia N73 and it started shutting down for no reason.

In addition the camera has a mind of it’s own, it sometimes opens, and sometimes won’t respond to me wanting to take a picture.

When it does work the picture quality is fine.

I carried out a search on the N73 and the shutting down problem only to find it’s a common fault with this model.

Through my computer and ‘Nokia software updater’ I downloaded the latest software and for two days it behaved itself and never shut down once then I woke up one morning to a black screen, it had shut down overnight.

For the moment I’m living with the problem to see if it corrects itself.

I previously took it into Big C and some guy who calls himself Doctor Phone said he could cure the fault.

They downloaded the latest software saying it would cure the problem which it didn’t and for that download which I now know comes free from Nokia.com via the internet they charged me 1900 baht.

Would I recommend the N73?

Would I recommend Doctor Phone in big C

A big NO to both questions.

Next time i'll try a SAMSUNG.

The N73 is garbage, I had one. I was not too thrilled with the insane lag of the Symbian operating system - everything takes forever. But what really pissed me off was the camera autofocus. It would sometimes get in a state where every single shot was blurry. Because of the tiny preview, you would not notice that easily. I once took a whole day of pictures, all of them out of focus. To solve this when it gets into that state, you have to restart the phone.

I recommend the iPhone. Where the N73 takes forever to be ready to take a picture, the iPhone camera on the 3GS is ready in a second.

All Nokia's have country of manufacture on the IMEI label inside, under the battery, etc.. They aren't made in Thailand.

My N95-8GB bought in NYC was made in Korea. It works fine.

I had a couple of 6270's, both bought in NYC and the silver one (made in Germany) had software lockup issues that never were totally resolved. The replacement black one (made in Finland) worked great until it crashed during a software update, is now useless and used as a paperweight.

I think comparing a low-tech Nokia bought several years ago with a newer N-type is a bit bogus. Like comparing the wife's Honda with my Volante.

I have been a loyal Nokia customer since GTE Mobilnet in the US way back in... 1992? I recently invested in the Google Nexus One and so far, I can only see my Nokia paperweight collection growing!