Idiot's Guide To Buying A New Car For A Family With 2 Kids

chrgrims

We are expecting twins in the fall, so we need a new car. Today we have a corolla altis that we like a lot, its a 2003 model that we hope to swap as part of the purchase of the new car. as of now we are not decided on whether to buy second hand or new. The only requirement right now is that it needs to have space (corolla just isnt big enough) and we need to buy in September at the latest. yes, we have time. but i am a total newbie when it comes to cars, so i have a lot to learn and test. Here are some models we have considered so far:

toyota wish: Looks very nice, good size. but no hybrid and probably big fuel consumption. doesnt run good at high speeds?

toyota innova: same as the above, but even bigger. no hybrid though. i have also read that it doesn't run well when going over 110 km/h. we really need a car that runs well at 120-130 km/h, lots of roads here can take those speeds.

camry: the new model is hybrid, but maybe it doesnt have enough space? gotta love the luxury of the top model. Many say hybrid is still not fully developed, and should be avoided. i dont have enough info to agree or disagree at this point.

nissan teana: i rode a big nissan sedan some years ago and loved it. but is the teana big enough?

as of now i have ruled out the fortuner. i like it, but IMO its too expensive for what you get. but maybe i have missed something. why does it seem like all love the fortuner? I have considered honda, but cant really say i like it that much. nice cars, sure, but they dont have that cost/performance ratio that you can see in the other cars. 

Consider the above an introduction from a complete idiot trying to find a car he will enjoy. Help me make some decisions :).

We are expecting twins in the fall, so we need a new car (eh what on earth for is your old car blowing up?). Today we have a corolla altis that we like a lot (so keep it), its a 2003 model that we hope to swap as part of the purchase of the new car. as of now we are not decided on whether to buy second hand or new (keeep what u have theres nowt wrong with it). The only requirement right now is that it needs to have space (corolla just isnt big enough)( isnt big enough for what is your wife giving birth to chang nois "elephants") and we need to buy in September at the latest. yes, we have time. but i am a total newbie when it comes to cars, so i have a lot to learn and test. Here are some models we have considered so far:

toyota wish: Looks very nice, good size. but no hybrid (hybrid what for) and probably big fuel consumption. doesnt run good at high speeds?

toyota innova: same as the above, but even bigger. no hybrid though. i have also read that it doesn't run well when going over 110 km/h. we really need a car that runs well at 120-130 km/h, lots of roads here can take those speeds (yeah lets hope the new kids like it when a juggernaut pulls out, hope u get all the airbags in it etc). (Whats the fixation on a hybrid for? if you think u are saving the planet you aint best thing u can do to save it not that it needs it is keep your old car and keep repairiing it, how much energy does making a new car need ???)

camry: the new model is hybrid, but maybe it doesnt have enough space? gotta love the luxury of the top model. Many say hybrid is still not fully developed, and should be avoided. i dont have enough info to agree or disagree at this point.

nissan teana: i rode a big nissan sedan some years ago and loved it. but is the teana big enough?

as of now i have ruled out the fortuner. i like it, but IMO its too expensive for what you get. but maybe i have missed something. why does it seem like all love the fortuner? (Think fo the term "sheep") I have considered honda, but cant really say i like it that much. nice cars, sure, but they dont have that cost/performance ratio that you can see in the other cars.

Consider the above an introduction from a complete idiot (no comment) trying to find a car he will enjoy. Help me make some decisions

(I have hopefully, why is it all parents seem to think they need a freakin people carrier for a couple of kids?)

I have to agree with yabaaaa, although I may not have been quite so blunt.

More room? - Ok fair enough if you travel a lot and need to take all the baby gear with you.

Hybrid?? nah, - What for?

Kids and speed do not go together. Leave earlier, drive safely. Don't take their lives for granted.

Now if you had said " I fancy a change of car, I'd like more room, I'd like good economy but I fancy something with a bit more performance, my budget is around Baht XXX" then maybe you would have received some sensible advice.

Good luck.

Wish

Old model, new in rest of the world. Good luggage space with only 5 seats, rides good

Innova. Same body size wish, but build on pickup platform (actually Fortuner) to reduce taxes, thus 300k cheaper than Wish with same 2000cc engine. So dynamics like a Fortuner. Diesel option if your looking for good milage

Camry. Luxury. Hybrid good in town, but no point on highway. Hybrid very small trunk, smaller than your present car, no bicycles or trolleys in there, perhaps 2 suitcases. Expect high running costs for Hybrid when 3 years warranty expired, possibly very high.

Teana. Like Camry, nice 2,5 V6, but terrible secondhandvalue

Fortuner or Mitsu Pajero Sport. Huge luggagespace with only 5 seats, kids favorite with high seating position/reclining seats and good view out of the windows, cruise ok up to 150kmh. a mill baht gets you a 2wd auto, 1,3 for biggest engine 4X4 auto, fantastic diesel tourque, running cheap on fuel. Cheapest to run of these vehicles. smaller to park than Camry and Teana.

no, i dont need 4x4. i prob need to look into the fortuner a bit more. a second hand with the biggest diesel would be a nice option.

there are some really nice roads when you drive to pitsanulok from petchabun. this is the closest big city around here. its not a lot of cars on the road, and driving 120-130 km/h isnt a problem.

My 2c. Keep the car you have. Twins will be enough of a change to worry about. As someone said you don't need a different car just because you have children. I believe the Altis has three seat belts in the rear so even taking Granny or the maid everywhere will not be a problem. A Fortuner will be Just as crowded as I don't beleive they have significanly more room.

Innova. Same body size wish, but build on pickup platform (actually Fortuner) to reduce taxes, thus 300k cheaper than Wish with same 2000cc engine. So dynamics like a Fortuner. Diesel option if your looking for good milage

Innova or more correctly Kijang Innova is the workhorse of Indonesia where it is made. Built to survive Indo roads!! No relation of Fortuner. Alas no diesel option here otherwise they would sell fewer Fortuners.

Edited by VocalNeal

My 2c. Keep the car you have. Twins will be enough of a change to worry about. As someone said you don't need a different car just because you have children. I believe the Altis has three seat belts in the rear so even taking Granny or the maid everywhere will not be a problem. A Fortuner will be Just as crowded as I don't beleive they have significanly more room.

Innova or more correctly Kijang Innova is the workhorse of Indonesia where it is made. Built to survive Indo roads!! No relation of Fortuner. Alas no diesel option here otherwise they would sell fewer Fortuners.

Vigo/Fortuner/Innova build on same platform. Fortuner/Innova frame 25 cm shorter and designed for rear coilsprings. Same tech. 2,5 D4d available, but not sure if they have introduced the new VN turbo yet as in Vigo and Fortuner. I also belive Innova has kept the small brakes replaced in Vigo/Fortuner Nov 2008. havent looked at toyotas LOS website

Anything with a diesel engine. The diesel will run forever and will give you at least 30 percent better economy.

My 2003 CRV 2,0 would manage 1,6 litre/10 km while my 2005 Fortuner 3,0 D4d auto 4X4 did 1,1 litre/10 km. same driving, both 40k km. Fortuner larger, heavier, more power, but much less fuel.

next time i go to pitsanulok i will test the wish and the innova. fortuner i have tried, so no need to test. i have also tried the camry 2009, which i really liked. but it might be too small.

i agree that the fortuner doesnt give much more space for passengers than the corolla. so i need to look into other options. its possible to keep the corolla and get the innova or wish as a second car.

hybrid sounds nice, but probably not for us. we dont live in the city, and we need space.

is there a car with similar specs as the innova, but with diesel? i am thinking of another car maker than toyota.

thanks spaniel. might need to check out the freed.

i read that mazda has a model called the 5. i checked the mazda website in thailand, but there is no 5 model here it looks like. they do have an awesome cx-9, but that was until i looked at the price, over 3mill baht. would be interesting if i could find it second hand though, but thats a longshot probably.

thanks spaniel. might need to check out the freed.

i read that mazda has a model called the 5. i checked the mazda website in thailand, but there is no 5 model here it looks like. they do have an awesome cx-9, but that was until i looked at the price, over 3mill baht. would be interesting if i could find it second hand though, but thats a longshot probably.

cx 9 is fantastic, but just introduced in LOS and +3mill is over my budget :)

i heard the spacewagon is thirsty

i have a Wish and i get about 10-12km/ltr depending on city/highway driving

it has 7 seats but has little luggage room when in that config, but when the back seat is folded away it is huge

i can zip down the highway easily at 100-120 kph but going up steep hills it can struggle as it trys to hunt for the right gear, its only a 2 ltr

best thing i like about it is the all round visability, i find Fortuners hard to see when reversing.

Also like the fact it is higher up than a car, but it handles like a car, best of both worlds.

Only bad side would be the engine feels underpowered if really pushed.

Very good advice from VocalNeal... Congrats on the Twins !!! Will you be hauling around nanny(s), or just the twins?

You're best bet is to wait.... have the kids first then figure out what you really need... Don't jump the gun.

The car market is only getting better... more options for the consumer to choose.

I would stay away from the Hybrids,... why get one?

Easy to spot who has kids and who doesn't. Just try to get two infant car seats, twin trolley and all the kid stuff in to a Corolla... One doable but two no way.

So yes you need a bigger car unless you are the type that is confortable driving around with your babies, wife and dog in a scooter in Thai highways.

Go with any of the locally assembled "space wagons" or Fortuner. Forget the hybrids for a few years. Take them out for a drive and decide which works the best for you. That would be my advice.

yes, we will be traveling with a "nanny" most of the time, at least in the beginning. wife, 2 babies, nanny and me (and sometimes a dog!). can forget about the corolla i am afraid.

More on the wish vs innova:

Dont quite understand why toyota makes them both. i get that innova is bigger, but dont they sell to the same marked group? and none of them come in a diesel as far as i understand. maybe the innova is supposed to replace the wish over time? right now i am most curious on the wish, seems to fit our needs the best. it sucks that they dont make a wish with a stronger engine. but i def need to try both. after i had tried the fortuner i was kinda disappointed, which tells me that personal experience count for a lot.

y, hybrid is def not an option anymore, doesnt seem like a good choice for us.

y, we can wait to buy a car, maybe up to 1y from now. i think my window for buying is from july-jan.

tx for all the great advice, keep em coming :)

yes, we will be traveling with a "nanny" most of the time, at least in the beginning. wife, 2 babies, nanny and me (and sometimes a dog!). can forget about the corolla i am afraid.

Dont quite understand why toyota makes them both. i get that innova is bigger, but dont they sell to the same marked group? and none of them come in a diesel as far as i understand. maybe the innova is supposed to replace the wish over time? right now i am most curious on the wish, seems to fit our needs the best. it sucks that they dont make a wish with a stronger engine. but i def need to try both. after i had tried the fortuner i was kinda disappointed, which tells me that personal experience count for a lot.

y, hybrid is def not an option anymore, doesnt seem like a good choice for us.

y, we can wait to buy a car, maybe up to 1y from now. i think my window for buying is from july-jan.

tx for all the great advice, keep em coming :)

hmm.. if you are actually going to bring a dog along.... (how about putting the dog on the roof?..kidding).

Have you considered the Hyundai H1?.. the lowest base model.... priced at 1,050,000.

...or... SsangYong Stavic.. priced at 1,590,000.

It looks like Space is your main criteria in choosing your next car.

Easy to spot who has kids and who doesn't. Just try to get two infant car seats, twin trolley and all the kid stuff in to a Corolla... One doable but two no way.

So yes you need a bigger car unless you are the type that is confortable driving around with your babies, wife and dog in a scooter in Thai highways.

Go with any of the locally assembled "space wagons" or Fortuner. Forget the hybrids for a few years. Take them out for a drive and decide which works the best for you. That would be my advice.

Excellent post MJo. The OP is clearly stating kids and family and some posters still think a Corolly or a Camry is going to be enough :)

Wish and Innova are great cars (I personally don't like the Fortuner). Neither the Wish or the Innova are unstable at 130 km/h. Don't foget to have a look at the Thai Rung Adventurer 3 litre turbo diesel (the standard 2 wheel drive version). It's a bit rough (built on a pickup chassi like the Firtuner) but it's a good family car

Dont quite understand why toyota makes them both.

I think the answer is they are both quite different. The Wish is quite stylish and sporty, whereas the Innova is a plain ugly box but probably with it's high roof line quite practical. You pays your money...

I too am evaluating cars, but won't need one for at least a year or so.

My situation is: Grandpa, Grandma, wife, kid, and me. Grandpa need space to move around (bad back)... not to mention lugging around support equipments (stroller, diaper bags, milk, etc). My wife will do double-duty as mom and maid... if My sister in the states can do it with two kids.. i'm sure my wife here can do it as well.

My sister has 2 kids of her own and she comes to visit BKK once a year... so.. i'm learning quite a bit from her experiences.

So.. my target would be a minivan, something that has sliding doors (easy entry and exit.) Speed is wishful thinking, but stability at 80-100 km/h is essential.

My situation is: Grandpa, Grandma, wife, kid, and me. Grandpa need space to move around (bad back)... not to mention lugging around support equipments (stroller, diaper bags, milk, etc). My wife will do double-duty as mom and maid... if My sister in the states can do it with two kids.. i'm sure my wife here can do it as well.

My sister has 2 kids of her own and she comes to visit BKK once a year... so.. i'm learning quite a bit from her experiences.

So.. my target would be a minivan, something that has sliding doors (easy entry and exit.) Speed is wishful thinking, but stability at 80-100 km/h is essential.

i had my parents over a few years back, theyre in their mid 70s and dad has stroke, but both commented how easily it was to get in and out of my Wish

The Wish is stable @ 100km/h easy, in fact it sometimes doesnt feel like yr doing those speeds at times,

try it out

I cant comment on the Innova as i havent driven one, but doesnt look as wide as the Wish & seems taller

ps The Wish could be in run out this year as Japan has a new model

wish01.jpg

Edited by Donnyboy

i had my parents over a few years back, theyre in their mid 70s and dad has stroke, but both commented how easily it was to get in and out of my Wish

The Wish is stable @ 100km/h easy, in fact it sometimes doesnt feel like yr doing those speeds at times,

try it out

I cant comment on the Innova as i havent driven one, but doesnt look as wide as the Wish & seems taller

ps The Wish could be in run out this year as Japan has a new model

wish01.jpg

according to Toyota LOS, new model Wish wont be sold here. only Avanza,Innova and Fortuner as 7 seats due to tax break on those vehicles build on frame