Working As An Artist And Selling The Artwork

Hello,

as an artist it can take minutes and years to complete one piece... so how does this "work" when residing in Thailand? I mean there is no base salary or anything, nor is there a company to work for, yet it is considered work when selling the artwork, right? What happens if the artwork gets sold, does the artist need to pay taxes, and if - how?

Also, what about people who live in Thailand and operate blogs or other ad revenue based websites, do they have to pay taxes on the income, and if - how?

I hope I posted this in the right forum... these question have been on my mind for years... :)

Short answer - You need a work permit.

Recently there was a report of an older gentleman (maybe 65 years old) who sold some sketches for 20 baht a pop. He was arrested, thrown in jail and then deported. There are some postings on this forum, but I do not have time to search for them. So there is your answer regarding art work.

If you are a popular enough artist, maybe you could connect with a gallery or something. But selling art yourself without a work permit is opening yourself up to all sorts of problems.

People doing blogs or any other web type revenue earning activities are more than likely keeping a low profile and trying to stay under the radar.

TheWalkingMan

I've been told that you can go directly to "the court" to obtain a tax ID, can anyone confirm this?

Let's say I make enough on the net to proof I got the income needed to get a 1 year non-o visa (thai wife), wouldn't I need to pay taxes on the income then?

The 'That Depends' answer is whether you have some artistic skill that would prove desirable to a Thai graphic arts or other art-related company who might legitimately hire you and provide a WP... Describing yourself as an 'artist' is in the same boat as 'How long is a piece of string?'. If your skills are superior and unique you may even be able to work out an arrangement with a gallery.

... but to want to work on a piece for 6 months to a year while remaining in Thailand on your own is dodgy at best.

Edited by jazzbo

So sorry, Michaelangego., You cannot work here as an artist nor sell art,. That's it. There is a King's list of professions reserved for Thais only. This is on the first and main list A

You may find the law unfair but this is Thailand and they consider this law as fair and just to protect their artist as well as other professions from competition. Try some other place, not here. Penalties are severe and non negotiable.

Here we go with the old deportation threat again

First of all, none of you work for Thai immigration

Second of all, each case and determination to deport is it's own case and solely up to immigration

Third of all because a story one guy got deported out of a million working under the radar?

Where does all this innuendo come from?

Why don't one of the posters, always threatening deportation, look up some existing facts of exactly how many foreigners get deported each year and for what offense?

This is another chicken little the sky is falling cry.

Hey, in 1984 I knew a guy got deported for selling a comic he drew for 5 baht!

Ridiculous

• Like 1

I am not an artist but I have a large collection of Thai contemporary paintings.

Regularly, I am lending some pieces to hotels and restaurants. Then, from time to time, I am doing some private sales.

I am on a tourist visa and I don't need a working permit to do so.

Should I need a work permit the day I decide to sell my car, or when I go to the second hand bookshop to sell my old novels? That's absurd...

• Like 1

lazygourmet, you are an art dealer and will get DEPORTED! hahaha... joking, I find it amazing you got such a nice collection that you lend them out - that you got people who want to borrow them. :D

Btw, I am not an artist and I got my 1 year single entry non-o visa from the embassy of my choice that doesn't require any proof of income or money in the bank :D

I just find these questions interesting... so...

An artist living/working in Thailand has to fly under the radar by having his/her Thai spouse/partner sell the artwork, I guess that's an easy work around.

The income thing I don't understand completely... I can have 40,000+ baht coming in each month from outside the country and just get that verified by the bank (or update and show the bank book) without having to show where the money comes from?! Doesn't that leave loopholes like transferring the money to let's say HSBC and then transferring it back?

Also, what if I WANT TO pay taxes for my web based income, will Thailand let me? Will I be allowed to obtain a tax ID and pay taxes without having any "real" income in Thailand? :) This is an interesting question to me, as I read you need to have proof of income for YEARS if you want to get a permanent residency visa, which is something I am thinking about trying to get for quite a while...

Edited by jbhh

Why so confusing This is Thailand as soon you make some money you need a work permit.

And those who work under the radar they are fine until the the they get caught ups. :)

This is the way it is.

Enjoy your paintings though. Had some falang friends who did an art exhibit in

Chiang Mai.; But they were very afraid to get caught./ The rules are very precise

However you have a nice pic of HMThe King... Should you find the right person or donate this to the right insittute perhaps you could get an exception....

All rules are made to be bent and found exceptions for...

• 2 weeks later...

I did a search on Yahoo- exemptions for Thailand work permit. The first on the list was a page from Sunbelt Legal Advisors. An exemption for “Arts” was listed. If you’re serious, you can contact them and see if it applies in your circumstances.