Crackdown On Jomtien Beach Masseuses

george

Number of beach masseuses to be limited on Jomtien Beach

PATTAYA: -- Aiming to cut down on how many times sun worshippers are pestered for massages, Pattaya officials will limit the number of masseuses on Jomtien Beach to two per plot, giving priority to Pattaya residents.

Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh announces the new beach masseuse regulations.

At a Jan. 28 meeting, Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh said currently there are more masseuses than customers in Jomtien. Unless balance is restored, he said, problems and complaints may ensue.

Pattaya will formally announce the new regulations Feb. 15-17. Currently there are 457 managed plots in Jomtien. Only two masseuses will be allowed to work each plot. The city has instructed a lawyer to draw up qualifications and then prioritize vendors, giving Pattaya residents priority.

pattayamaillogo.png

-- Pattaya Mail 2010-02-14

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Beach nuisances got so bad in the Philippines once that a Scots guy made himself a cardboard cut-out vulture, painted it black, and placed it next to him whenever he wanted to sunbathe in peace. I don't know how well it worked, but it was good a for a laugh.

Overpopulation plus economic decline = poverty = more touts.

You see this all over now, not just in Thailand.

How about a crackdown on having more than one baby?

How about a large tax on families with more than one baby?

How about a large tax break on families that decide not to have children?

Just some thoughts.

There is increasing pressure on Pattaya's beaches, with them being eroded (and plans to dump sand), the deckchair vendors encroaching on unused space, increasing numbers of Russians wanting their empty, chairless beach areas in which to sunbathe, and people trying to make money down there, both the city officials who have to supervise and chase vendors, but who at the same time "need to eat" by tolerating them, and of course the increasing numbers of poor people whose livelihood depends on selling stuff to beach-loving tourists.

Once Second Road is finished, I think the beaches will be an important new front in the Pattaya Tourism War.

Thailand's beaches would be more attractive to me, and I'm sure others, if there was a crack down on all touts. Touts really do spoil what should be a relaxing time on the beach.

It's not only on beaches where 'touts' get in your face. They are everywhere, but TIT :)

Too True

Beach nuisances got so bad in the Philippines once that a Scots guy made himself a cardboard cut-out vulture, painted it black, and placed it next to him whenever he wanted to sunbathe in peace. I don't know how well it worked, but it was good a for a laugh.

Just some thoughts.

Agreed, but would a more organised less intrusive way of selling actually make more money?

Yes, it's much more prevent in Vietnam, for one.

Been tried in China and Vietnam, doesn't work so well.

It usally works the other way, ie tax breaks for families.

Just some thoughts.

I'll second that.

A large tax break to these who decide to cut their genitals too.

It always hits the people who try to make a living without getting involved into criminal activities. Seizing DVD's, crackdown on beach vendors....well, easy targets and good for a heading. The next day they'll be back.

Agreed, but would a more organised less intrusive way of selling actually make more money?

Yes, it's much more prevent in Vietnam, for one.

Been tried in China and Vietnam, doesn't work so well.

It usally works the other way, ie tax breaks for families.

Points 1-4:

1. Probably a good idea to have a more organized less intrusive system. What about organizing the touts, getting them to pool their money and rent a beach space and divide the income. That might help. Something similar was done in India.

The poor basically form their own internal bank......cooperate with each other........and invest their small money which eventually grows with proper management.

2. The worst I have ever seen is on the gorgeous Kuta beach in Bali........too bad because it is really nice. The sunsets are totally spectacular on that beach and that is when the touts like to stand right in front of view blocking the view of the sunset.

3. I disagree, especially on China. It was a huge success for China (but I respect your opinion and do not want to debate it here......just know that I live in China and Thailand and have discussed this issue with many Chinese people.......some don't like it.......most do because they know it was and continues to be good for China).

4. You are correct, especially in the USA.....more children, more welfare money. It is insane to establish a system that encourages having more babies.

There is increasing pressure on Pattaya's beaches, with them being eroded (and plans to dump sand), the deckchair vendors encroaching on unused space, increasing numbers of Russians wanting their empty, chairless beach areas in which to sunbathe, and people trying to make money down there, both the city officials who have to supervise and chase vendors, but who at the same time "need to eat" by tolerating them, and of course the increasing numbers of poor people whose livelihood depends on selling stuff to beach-loving tourists.

Once Second Road is finished, I think the beaches will be an important new front in the Pattaya Tourism War.

Going by what has happened In Goa India the Russians will eventually control the prostitution and drug sales in Pattaya.

It always hits the people who try to make a living without getting involved into criminal activities. Seizing DVD's, crackdown on beach vendors....well, easy targets and good for a heading. The next day they'll be back.

Ah perhaps there will be a increase is price for said service. Why? Well somebody's got to pay for the bribes. Right? So this just might be yet another method of extortion in Lack of Sanctions (LOS).

No doubt those that are "selected" to have the honor of massaging fat/thin etc farangs will be those that pay the most tea money. The new process will allow greater control of the poor sods(and their income) that are trying to eke out a living.

Personally we go down to Jomtien to enjoy the hustle and the bustle, never really had a problem with "touts" particularly if you politely say no instead of the "attitude" I have witnessed from some foreigners.

Each to his/her own. :)

Thailand measures 198,000 square miles whilst England for example is only around 50,000 - they both have a similar size of population so I seriously doubt that overpopulation is a part of the answer.

As for the Thai economy: well, with foreign reserves of over USD 140 billion and surpluses in every financial category, it is the envy of many countries currently.

So, not the right answer but a good try, next!