Beware The Resturaunts At Chang Pier

steffi

Yesterday my Thai wife and I were hungry and after getting off the boat at the pier immediately sat down and ordered some Pad Thai Chicken/Shrimp

Even though the sign clearly states Chicken 30 thb and Shrimp 35 thb when the bill was due they asked for 100 thb. The woman explained to my wife that I was farang and that she had added more shrimp despite us not having requested any whatsoever. I remember counting 2 or 3 Shrimp in my meal. My wife continued to argue with the woman and started to yell out and asked neighbouring Thai's what they were paying for ordering the same dish. At one point the stupid woman even suggested that the pricing for Shrimp and Chicken was vegetarian pricing even though it clearly shows Shrimp and Chicken on the sign.

The first request was 100 thb and then it was 80 thb with (quickly quickly thrown in for good measure) and then after agreeing on 70 thb (my wife thought it wasn't worth being killed for a mesily 5 thb) just as my wife hands the money to her (100 thb) the woman blurts out 80 thb trying to show everybody around here that my wife is handing her money for a 80 thb payment. They my wife told her no we agreed on 70 thb and not 80 thb. Eventually it was 70 thb and the woman gave us the 30 thb change from a 100 thb note. I almost wanted to demand that the woman put 30 thb on the table before I handed her the note.

This was classic 2 two tier pricing and my wife caught her first glimpse of what it's like when I'm by myself around town.

In general this area is frequented by predators and some of the worst people you'll come across in Bangkok. All vendors in and around the grand palace will try to cheat foreigners. They are some of the most despicable people you'll come across here. This is what I call "Thailand without it's mask"

As you're eating the same guy who took your order will eventually start trying to sell Amazing Thailand hats to people as they walk past towards/from the pier. This was outside just before you get to the street on the right hand side if you're exiting the pier.

As far as Pad Thai's go this was probably the worst in the city.

Not a big surprise, it's the pier that probably sees the most tourists go through it after the one at Saphan Thaksin bridge. This is the problem with tourist areas, the worst of both sides tend to congregate around them, and feed each other's perceptions of each other. That makes it difficult for normal people to function normally in those areas.

I've seen both sides, the foreigner trying to weasel an unfair deal or acting like "Lord Colonial Overseer" with honest Thai working people, and the Thais of a more unscrupulous bent who will try to fleece the foreigner at every turn. I think that each side increases the negative actions of the other side, because then both sides feel justified in their negative behaviour.

That makes it difficult for the honest Thai or foreigner to work or live there, which is why I prefer to avoid tourist areas in general. (I think this happens in tourist areas all over the world. Once someone feels that they have a good reason to demonize a certain group of people, they tend to dehumanize them as well, so that they don't feel guilty for treating them badly.)

Try eating at the next stop up, Tha Prachan has much better restaurants, with better service.

I dont think this happens all over the world.

In the so called civilized countries, reporting it will cause the vendor to loose the licence.

Easy as that.

In poorer countries, they seem to think the visitors are all stinking rich and cheating them is just fair.

Nobody seems to understand that most visitors actually have saved up money for quite some time, in order to have the holiday, before they go back to work again.

Problem with this lady is she got caught out by you and wanted to save face in a ridiculous fashion. Got to remember she probably gambled her last pennies the night before or the loan shark was around that day, so any extra she could squeeze out of the unknown farang would help her cause. Problem is, you caught her. Good on you for standing your ground but also giving her an out. Nicely settled.

Why didn;t you just leave 65 baht as advertised and walk out. I would not even have got into the discussion.

These are not the kind of people you can do that with.

why not?...whadda they gonna do, call the cops?

I went to my regular hairdresser here in town to find that there is a new owner...after me an' the BiL got our haircuts the bitch comes up holding up a finger in my face and said 1000baht...I chuckled with derision and left 100 (2x50) on the chair and we walked out; there were other men in the place who weren't customers but no one did shit...

(btw: 2003-08-08 and #3478?...we's twins but I'm older than you at #3474 :) )

my wife would have spit in her face and drop a 1000 Baht to the floor.

What she would have told in southern dialect can't be posted because it would get me a 1000 year ban....

I recall when we went with the bus in Phuket and one Farang girl asked her for the price and she told it. Than the driver asked why she did not tell more she is killing his business.....

Than it good loud.....

In general this area is frequented by predators and some of the worst people you'll come across in Bangkok. All vendors in and around the grand palace will try to cheat foreigners. They are some of the most despicable people you'll come across here. This is what I call "Thailand without it's mask"

Really? The jaded vendors who flock to heavily touristed areas where they can rip off foreigners are "Thailand without it's [sic] mask?" This is a little like saying that Times Square is "America without is mask." My experience is exactly the opposite. Most of Thailand has been fantastic to live and travel in and I only have issues (though only ever minor ones like this - and this is a very minor issue) when I go to places full of touts and tourists and jaded vendors. Seems a bit absurd to imply that this is the real Thailand when it only encompasses the immediate area surrounding any tourist hotspot (or, in the case of tourist islands/beaches, the entire island/beach area).

Anyone who thinks being ripped off is something endemic to Thailand and the developing world apparently hasn't taken many taxis in most major Western cities. "Hey, is that the Eiffel Tower again?"

Really? The jaded vendors who flock to heavily touristed areas where they can rip off foreigners are "Thailand without it's [sic] mask?" This is a little like saying that Times Square is "America without is mask." My experience is exactly the opposite. Most of Thailand has been fantastic to live and travel in and I only have issues (though only ever minor ones like this - and this is a very minor issue) when I go to places full of touts and tourists and jaded vendors. Seems a bit absurd to imply that this is the real Thailand when it only encompasses the immediate area surrounding any tourist hotspot (or, in the case of tourist islands/beaches, the entire island/beach area).

Anyone who thinks being ripped off is something endemic to Thailand and the developing world apparently hasn't taken many taxis in most major Western cities. "Hey, is that the Eiffel Tower again?"

You're both somewhat correct. I, too, however, disagree with the Thailand "without its mask" comment. But yes, the touristy areas are full of cheats. And you're right about western cities and taxi drivers. On occasion when people were visiting Washington, D.C. I would sometimes drive to their hotel and pick them up for dinner (for example), but a take a taxi from there, rather than my car due to parking issues in the city. The taxi drivers assumed I didn't know my way around. We would often end up taking the scenic route. Since my friends would be tourists, if it was a reasonable scenic route...well, okay...and at the end of the ride I would say to the taxi driver, "Well, I live here, and while my friends enjoyed the longer scenic route, I didn't appreciate being cheated. So here's your fare, but say farewell to your tip."

my wife would have spit in her face and drop a 1000 Baht to the floor.

What she would have told in southern dialect can't be posted because it would get me a 1000 year ban....

I recall when we went with the bus in Phuket and one Farang girl asked her for the price and she told it. Than the driver asked why she did not tell more she is killing his business.....

Than it good loud.....

Spitting in her face I can see, but to intentionally drop a 1000 baht note with the image of the king in public? I am sure that your wife has more sense than this 'h90' :)