Can Anyone Give Advice To A Philistine About Net Speeds

Wentworth

I want to get an internet line into my house but have simply got no idea of what the different speeds mean or if they are any good for the price. I've been told that I can get Cat telecom Hi Net which is 3/1 Mbps for 890 Baht/month(13th month free) - I haven't got a clue what it means or if it's any good?

I had the Standard 3/1 Hi-net package for 890b, it was utter crap, I stepped up to the 2/1 Premium Hi-net package for 1790b, its was 99% reliable (up time and speed) over the 13 months I was connected (13 month free).

Iam now on a True plan, I am experiencing awesome reliabilty and speeds, however my mate who also got True installed (he lives within 500metres as the crow flies) is having a terrible time, piss poor speeds and very unreliable uptimes.

What is your location, this may limit you to some Internet service Providers.

CAT Hi-Net Packages link

Edited by Spoonman

Sorry for fudging this but am in the North. I'm told by some neighbours that it may be difficult to get a line in as the companies many not have any slots left. I don't know how true that is but I'm trying to get wised-up about how the speed thing works. I see adverts on vans for 8mbps and guess that it's meant to be fast. I'm also told that the companies tend to over egg this speed in that it only applies to internal Thai websites, with the international speed being much lower.

Could you tell me what 3/1 Mbps is meant to refer to?

3/1 is the data transfer rate in megabit per second. So 3/1 = 3Mbps download / 1Mbps upload.

This means you can download a 700MB movie (a standard VCD / compact disc) in less than an hour with file transfer running at full speed (3Mbps). On the other hand, you will be able to send files (upload) with speeds up to 1Mbps.

Edited by Supernova

I live in a new modern housing project in an old but fast developing part of Nonthaburi.

I have TOT 2/.5 for less than 600 Baht.

It's been troublesome using this service because when I call the hot line to complain that my international download speeds are sometimes .5/.5 or less

Tot's answer is that the system guarantee is only for the Thailand area but " they will refer the problem to the Technical Department".

My speeds do seem to bump up a little after I complain. I suspect they have a way to put your home phone number higher up in a priority list. Anybody know?

Now here comes True promising 3/1 for about the same price.

My question is: how can True's speeds be higher for Thailand and International using the same land line phone line that the TOT service is using now?

If my TOT problems are because of old switchers and old phone lines or maybe non fiber optics, how can TRUE offer higher speed over the same phone lines?

i have tot 100mbps.

ok for websites, email etc but poor for streaming video

e.g. bought subscription to Setanta recenlty for rugby but just keeps sticking and crashing

likewise BBC streaming video, although better than Setanta, which is abysmal

asked TOT for an upgrade to faster speed, but they said the local line could not accommodate it.

did you see Google experiment in US

About to provide 1 gigabit-per-second connectivity down fibre lines to selected recipients

will we live to see it??