I Can't Believe Another 5 Baht, 10 Baht Baht Bus Thread!

Jingthing

I gave up even trying to ever pay 5 baht on the buses years ago. However today I guess I was feeling punchy and took a short cross town run on Pattaya Klang on one of those Pattaya Klang queue buses. There were about 5 Thais who also got off where I did at Carrefour. I watched as each Thai handed over 5 baht. So I thought, what the hey, I will try it. Sure enough a huge reaction. BTW, I just walked away. We are same species, mate, 5 baht for everyone when it is that blatant, don't you think?

BTW, believe it or not, I don't care about the 5 baht. I do care about being treated differently because I look different racially. It's kind of sickening.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just walk away, easy to do and if traffic is bad which is always - not lot they can do about it! :)

I normally don't suggest fighting their fare rules. I felt this case was different because of the line of people paying 5 baht, it seemed silly to enforce their race based fares for them.

just stop using them, they do not deserve to have any customers and let's hope they get all extincted like the Dodos....
Nah. I think they are great. One of the major things that gives Pattaya the character that is has.

That character being a city clogged up with diesel fume emitting, dangerously driven, mafia protected quasi buses one presumes! :)

Wow, I thought the 5 baht fare was ancient history. Must keep my eyes peeled!

I too think the songtaews are great. I also share your dislike of double-pricing. And I travel Pattayaklang by songtaew on a daily basis.

You say you caught your bus to Carrefour from "one of those Pattaya Klang queue buses". Where do you mean exactly?

I suspect perhaps you mean the buses that wait on the north side of Pattayaklang, near the market fruit stalls, about a hundred yards east of the crossroads of Pattayaklang and Second Road - the crossroads where Tops supermarket is?

Or do you mean the songtaews waiting on the south side of Pattayaklang, about a hundred yards west of the junction with Sukhumvit?

Cheers.

Just another example of thai racism or dual pricing however you want to see it towards the farangs.

Just another example of someone who want to raise his post count with always the same bored,done to death subject.

Hardly. I might be if they paid me.

why do people constantly winge about 5-10 baht buses ? my wife is sitting beside me, i asked her does she pay 5 baht she says never , maybe years ago, when im with her i see her allways pay 10 baht the same as us farang.

I would put it to the OP where exactly did you travel from and where to?

Almost all Thai's pay 10 baht now as far as I know. I use Baht Buses frequently and deliberately notice what 'they' pay.

The only time I don't pay anything is when they take a wrong route after 30 seconds-1 minute and I just walk away.

But to be honest, paying 5 baht these days is just not cricket.

Just another example of thai racism or dual pricing however you want to see it towards the farangs.

Just another example of someone who want to raise his post count with always the same bored,done to death subject.

I don't think the OP is bothered (is anyone?) With their/his post count, in fact I find it rather embarrassing.

What I do appreciate is the 'join date' because this is of real interest.

:) lol times must be really bad if one has to haggle for 5฿ over a 10฿ fare, and that with a sudden sense of outrage after boarding songthaews for 6 years. Time for a permanent return (or deportation) home perhaps

A few years ago on cross town routes, Pattaya Klang and Pattaya Tai, Thais paid 5 baht and non-Thais could almost always pay 5 baht if on a well populated mostly Thai bus. I had also thought this had changed. That is why I was surprised today to see a bunch of Thais pay 5 baht going crosstown from 2nd to Carrefour. The Pattaya Klang route is more of a non-touristy route, so in some ways this makes sense.

How fast did you walk away?
Normal speed. They shut up after about 5 seconds. Look, we are the same species. If the humans in front of me paid 5 baht, I pay 5 baht. Fair is fair. It was an interesting experiment to see where things are at these days on that route.

Like I said in my OP, I have been paying 10 baht or occasionally more for years now for all baht bus routes. It was this specific situation that emboldened me to not accept the race based factor at that specific time. I am not suggested others do it. I would probably do it again in the exact same situation witnessing others paying a fare and matching it on a crosstown route.

Edited by Jingthing

Always worth learning the Cyrillic alphabet and getting slightly more 'gutteral' and 'deep-voiced' for a 5 baht saving ! You 'cheap Charlie' !

K ;-)

One doesn't speak to the baht bus drivers. That is stupid. So accents are irrelevant. What matters is racial appearance in a case like in the OP. Just toss the coin in the hand and walk away. Cheers.

BTW, regarding Russkies. On the Jomtien route from Pattaya, I have observed many time Russkies overpaying, even as much as 100 baht for a 10 baht ride. I have never seen a Russkie do a runner, I think that is an urban myth. It is true many are very confused, which leads much more often to overpaying.

I don't consider what I did today to be skipping a fare. The humans in front of me paid a fare for the same route I took, it only made sense to follow suit. I understand some people want to deride what I did or insist it is about the 5 baht. Cheap thrills, enjoy.

Edited by Jingthing

Just pretend your from Eastern Europe, heard on anther forum they have been a number of instances witnessed where they have just walked away without paying.

I did pay. Your comment is really off topic.

I am not saying you did not, I was just pointing out there seems to be a trend of Eastern Europeans doing a runner.

I do no give with it and if goes unchecked it will bring on problems for all of us.