Tourists On Motorbikes

thaimate

I dont know about you lot but i am sick of the stupid tourists on m/bikes ,yesterday on beach road an idiot trying to get between me and a bus nearly ripped my bumper off ,on seeing the damadge he f@cked off as fast as he could ,how many of you have had this trouble ? to be honest we know that the Thais on m/bikes are bad ,but the tourists are 10 times worse .

rant over. :)

hard to believe the majority dont get killed. They see the thais weaving in and out but they have a system the tourists are not aware of.. I see them splattered on the street often. That is why I have a big bike, others avoid me, I have good brakes, big lights and I get away from the pack which is where most of the problems come from

I've said it before: most farangs drive worse than most Thais. One of the most dreaded aspects of tourist season is that more farang "bikers" are loose on the streets. So you have drive/ride even more carefully than usual as you avoid them and gnash your teeth at their antics.

To tell the truth I'm surprised more tourists are not killed or severely maimed every year in Pattaya. Many people I have observed hiring bikes have no clue how to ride and/or how to adapt to riding Pattaya style traffic.

I even recall a really pissed (early afternnon) "tourist" renting a 900cc bohemoth a few years ago. It was obvious the guy had barely even mastered a scooter.

To my amazement, the bike hirer let the bike, with a 10,000B deposit I might add (normally 1000B). :)

Said tourist was last seen wadling the bike through stationary baht busses & slow traffic on beach road.

A while back I was almost run over by two farang girls on a motorbike who didn't have any control over it at all. I don't think they'd ever ridden a motorbike before, they didn't know where the brakes were, and were just concentrating on staying upright and not falling over. So sod anyone within 50 yards who might happen to get in the way of their random gyrations. :)

But the worst idiots are the people who try and mimic the Thais' half-witted antics by driving up a busy road on the wrong side. These cretins deserve to end up in a red puddle on the tarmac. :D

Brings to mind the horrible dual farang fatality that occured accross from Big C a few months back. I took a look at the oblong Heineken sign that one of them hit head first. The two inch angle iron on the opposite side of the impact was buckled.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/2-Welsh-Tour...id-t267287.html

I saw the video of this on the net,just goes to show what ,drink,big bikes and no helmets combined with a young stupid tourist trying to race up the main street can lead to ,just lucky it was them killed and not an innocent bystander.

i have great sorrow for his familly ,but not a lot for the guy driving.

Just watch the idiots race up 2nd Road. Scares the living hel_l out of me!!!! Worst part is when they have a pillion passenger as well

Most of us are well-learned and sensible motorcyclists, and that was why I asked you about the availability of light beer the other night, because I'd have to ride 50km home afterwards.

See how these things happen when nobody has any sensible answers?

Obviously inexperienced drivers shouldnt be renting scooters, but guys, how do you know for sure they are tourists, or they are inexperienced? Sometimes even experienced drivers can make stupid mistakes, or seem wobbly if avoiding something, etc. Also just because someone may be white and renting, doesnt mean they are not just holidaymakers from another part of Thailand and own a scooter at home. Tolerance goes a long way..rather than instantly critising someone and thinking along the lines of "bloody tourist", why not remember that some people may just not be familiar with the territory rather than they shouldnt be riding a bike. I ride a scooter daily here in Chiang Mai. I know the Chiang Mai roads and traffic, but i wouldnt know the Pattaya traffic and roads. If i rented whilst visiting, I may not be as on the ball initially. That doesnt mean i shouldnt be driving, it just means I need to be careful. I would hope that my fellow road users would be considerate. Even in familiar territory we may occasionally do something stupid or wrong, none of us are perfect. Getting annoyed or irate just breeds road rage and lack of tolerance.

Just watch the idiots race up 2nd Road. Scares the living hel_l out of me!!!! Worst part is when they have a pillion passenger as well

Most of us are well-learned and sensible motorcyclists, and that was why I asked you about the availability of light beer the other night, because I'd have to ride 50km home afterwards.

See how these things happen when nobody has any sensible answers?

Coke? Water? options are endless.

Obviously inexperienced drivers shouldnt be renting scooters, but guys, how do you know for sure they are tourists, or they are inexperienced? Sometimes even experienced drivers can make stupid mistakes, or seem wobbly if avoiding something, etc. Also just because someone may be white and renting, doesnt mean they are not just holidaymakers from another part of Thailand and own a scooter at home. Tolerance goes a long way..rather than instantly critising someone and thinking along the lines of "bloody tourist", why not remember that some people may just not be familiar with the territory rather than they shouldnt be riding a bike. I ride a scooter daily here in Chiang Mai. I know the Chiang Mai roads and traffic, but i wouldnt know the Pattaya traffic and roads. If i rented whilst visiting, I may not be as on the ball initially. That doesnt mean i shouldnt be driving, it just means I need to be careful. I would hope that my fellow road users would be considerate. Even in familiar territory we may occasionally do something stupid or wrong, none of us are perfect. Getting annoyed or irate just breeds road rage and lack of tolerance.

Well said. None of us are perfect and even experienced riders can have a bad day here or there, but just be thankful that they're not having that bad time behind the wheel of a car, which is ten times the mass and twenty times as dangerous.

Sounds like a great party not to bother riding a 100km round trip to attend. Have a great time.

Edited by SeanMoran

I'm in the bike rental business and regularly turn down business when I find the potential customer has zero experience on a motorbike, lost 5 rentals yesterday by refusing to rent to them. Most people actually thank me when I explain the obvious dangers!

I'm in the bike rental business and regularly turn down business when I find the potential customer has zero experience on a motorbike, lost 5 rentals yesterday by refusing to rent to them. Most people actually thank me when I explain the obvious dangers!

Thank you, very well done :)

Gerd

No what makes me annoyed is when he takes one look at the damage and does a runner,also believe me i can tell a tourist at 25 paces. especially a young knobhead on a rented m/cycle and wearing a plastic helmet.

Sounds like a great party not to bother riding a 100km round trip to attend. Have a great time.

Ohh Mr I get knocked off for 1 over the speed limit :) nonesense is now indicating he would rather get half smashed on lite beer rather than not drink at all when attending a party and driving. :D:D

People need to realise that even by having 1 drink and then driving your increasing your chances of being involved in a mva. If Im driving, Im not drinking, but then Im never drinking :D , so its easy for me

Ohh Mr I get knocked off for 1 over the speed limit :) nonesense is now indicating he would rather get half smashed on lite beer rather than not drink at all when attending a party and driving. :D:D

People need to realise that even by having 1 drink and then driving your increasing your chances of being involved in a mva. If Im driving, Im not drinking, but then Im never drinking :D , so its easy for me

Have fun then with what life you have, and have a great party!

No what makes me annoyed is when he takes one look at the damage and does a runner,also believe me i can tell a tourist at 25 paces. especially a young knobhead on a rented m/cycle and wearing a plastic helmet.

Completely understand thaimate. I would feel the same. My reply was more in a general vein. I would be upset if the same had happened to me too.

Completely understand thaimate. I would feel the same. My reply was more in a general vein. I would be upset if the same had happened to me too.

Just please help to tell them of the danger they face once they ride out of that parking lot, whether they are well-learned riders or not. ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT.

Riding a motorbike in Thailand is very dangerous, even if you grew up here. Keep your eyes open, especially if you were not born here and your mother wasn't there to teach you how to ride.

Even though I consider myself a quite experienced rider (5-15 kkm a year, from 50 cc to 600 cc), it always takes me a while to get used to Thailand's traffic.

If you ride defensively in PTY, everyone will overtake you. So IMHO sometimes it's safer to ride offensively (but carefully). And if you stop in front of a zebra crossing to let the pedestrians cross the street, it can be more dangerous because other riders/drivers may try to overtake you... and the pedestrians.

And as far as weaving through the traffic (riding between other vehicles, especially during a jam) is concerned, well, it's the same all over the world. That's one of the biggest advantages of motorbikes, especially smaller ones like Yamaha Nouvo or Honda Wave.

I wonder if you ask your customers to produce a driving licence. I have never been asked if I had one when renting a bike in Pattaya (I have an international DL, valid also for motorcycles, but could have rented a bike many times having no idea how to ride it).

I would dare say it is not only the tourists. Yesterday, as I pulled out of Makro, moving into the first lane...all clear...blinkers indicating I am moving over (needed to hit the upcoming u-turn down the road)...no traffic...good....start moving over....and out of the blue comes this guy on a scooter screaming down the road. White <deleted>, dress slacks...blew by me on the right and crossed all 3 lanes back to the left so he could make a quick turn at Thepprasit. Cutting in front of a bunch of cars, scooters, etc. Man, that guy will be a grease spot soon if he keeps driving like that.....