Wife Arrived In Uk

Yes Just pop down to Your Doctors With her Passport And Register You will get a Medical card sent to you (Easy)

NI No I got one for my wife Via the pension Service. I don't think that is the Norm. I was told you have to go to the Job Centre.

In our case we called the job centre national number, there are then two possibilities, they will either arrange an appointment or send you a form directly which your wife completes and returns, we recieved the form, returned it, and recieved the NI number within 10 days, straight forward stuff.

See also Applying for a National Insurance number.

For health care, obviously your first stop should be your own GP and dentist to see if they will take her; which they probably will. If not, see How do I register with the NHS when I move to England?

In two years time when she applies for Indefinite Leave to Remain she will need to provide evidence that you both live at the same address in the form of 'official' letters addressed to you jointly or individually covering the whole 2 years. Letters from the DWP re her NI number will count, as do joint bank statements, utility bills, council tax statements etc. See Completing application form SET(M) for more.

She will also need to show she has sufficient Knowledge of language and life in the UK, so should start preparing for that, too.

What about a driving licence? If she has a Thai one she can only drive with that in the UK for a maximum of 12 months. If she wants to continue driving after that she will need to have obtained a UK licence and passed the UK driving test. See Driving on licences from all other countries, and students on a foreign licence and Applying for a provisional driving licence.

Instead of preparing to go through the Life in the UK test for her Indefinite Leave to Remain visa, my wife enrolled in an ESOL course at her local college which radicaly improved her reading, writing and speaking of English, and when she completed the 9 month course she applied for and recieved her ILR visa, this could be an option for your wife as she will make loads of friends who are in the same boat and she will improve her English.

Brigante7.