Quick Visa Run Question For Chiang Mai Expats.

NamKangMan

Hi,

I spend most of my time in Phuket and usually post on the Phuket forum.

I like Chiang Mai and I am thinking of spending some months there later this year. In the past, I have been there for a look around and a holiday and caught a Nokair flight to Udon Thani to do a visa run to Laos. A recent search of the Nokair website revealed this route is no longer in operation. An overland visa run to Mai Sai is only 15 days, so, that's not much use. Can you guys tell me what the visa run is that most of you do every few months? Also, any other relevant information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by NamKangMan

I am in Rayong, and have never been to Chiang Mai, but only ask for the sake of this thread of your nationality, age, and marital status with Thai citizens? If you're like me and Australian, under 50 and single, then nobody wants you unless you've escaped from some university.

15 day visa?

Are you on a tourist visa? ie Visa on Arrival one?

Most go to Mae Sai for visa runs. Also try the Chiang Rai forum for update info on Mae Sai.

No. I live in Thailand on 60 day tourist visas and get them extended at immigration, so, have to go to a Thai Embassy next door 4 times a year. Have been to Penang, Vientiene and Phnom Pehn on several occassions. What do you guys do in Chiang Mai for visa runs? Do you Airasia to Bangkok and then out of Thailand? Do you bus it over to Udon Thani? I don't know why Nokair would stop that route. I notice Airasia have Phuket to Udon Thani now. That will be very popular for farang visa runs and bar girls visiting their families.

Edited by NamKangMan

I am in Rayong, and have never been to Chiang Mai, but only ask for the sake of this thread of your nationality, age, and marital status with Thai citizens? If you're like me and Australian, under 50 and single, then nobody wants you unless you've escaped from some university.

Mate, your reply made me laugh. I am Australian, single, under 50 and not working in Thailand, and yes, we fall through the net of the Thai visa system.

Nok Mini (formerly SGAir) Fly Chiang Mai -Udon daily departing CNX at 15.20.

Visa runners of the type you describe tend to go to Vientianne, KL is also quite popular due to the direct flight from here.

Most long stayers here are now on 1 year visas and do the 3 month trip to Mae Sai/Tachilek

Mae Sai is good for a re-entry if you have multiple entry visa, or if a 15 day visa exemption is good enough which is obviously isn't. To make a descent trip of it, take a minibus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong (about 5hrs). Then cross the Mekhong into Laos. From there take the 2 day slow boat to Luang Prabang. From LP, work your way down to Vientiene where you can apply for a tourist visa one day and pick it up the next. Then cross the border from there into Nong Khai, Thailand which is only about an hour or so from Udon Thani. From Udon you can take a long 12 hr or so bus back to Chiang Mai. Of course you could do any of these legs by plane if you want to spend the extra money.