Fear Factor

myauq

Hi,

I'm writing a paper about satelite TV in Asia, and I'm interested in how different national audiences interpret the same program. I know it hasn't been on TV for a while, but I'd like to know what Thai people think of the AXN program Fear Factor. Anyone got any anecdotes or observations about how their Thai friends, partners or you (as a Thai person) watch the show?

Appreciate any info, no matter how trivial.

Cheers :)

i watched em. YUCK! eatin cockroach or worms for money is utterly stupid!

hi thithi,

are you thai? i've always found it strange that thai people would find it repulsive, when you can go to pretty much any street corner in bkk and find a fried worm or insect stall being pushed around. i remember an episode of the amazing race when contestants went to kao san road and had to eat some of that food for a challenge - most challengers found that disgusting, but the locals would probably find it funny!

i guess what i want to know is what do thais find disgusting on tv, and what do they think of farang culture when they watch these kind of programs?

• 3 weeks later...

They watch it with a mix of feelings.

Mostly with fascination.

This kind of entertainment is perfect for the masses here.

Most of them are obsessed with horror movies, spooky stuff, ghost stories, live reports from bomb sites, and bad traffic accidents (with casualties).

Exactly why most people here found Big Brother extremely boring.

The only fascination about that program was in the end when they followed who won all the money and prizes.

thai husband thought most of it was stupid; 'why do all these hard things if you arent sure u are 100% getting the money'-- the food things didnt bother either of us. OTH he refuses to go hiking in areas that we consider slightly dangerous cause 'why bother to work hard to die when we can stay at home'; he doesnt understand why people go out of their way to do extreme sports that might cause bodily harm. but it s not becasue of his intellectual upbringing. its cause he's fairly lazy if there is no direct outcome (he will cook comlex meals cause in teh end u eat them and it tastes good. i dont.) his comment: 'ting tong'.

bina

israel

I guess the OP finished his papers on this subject.

:)

finished a couple of weeks ago thanks, but i focused mainly on my research in burma, cutting the thai perspectives out completely. i didn't have enough knowledge of thai audiences. the comments here are still very interesting... keep them coming!