British National Bashed By Pattaya Jetski Operators

Rimmer

A British national who rented a Jetski from a Pattaya Beach operator has been attacked and severely beaten following an argument over the victim having allegedly damaged the Jetski he had rented.

Pattaya, the 19th of February 2010 [PDN]: At approximately 8:00pm on Friday, police Lieutenant Colonel Supphachai Puikumkaew (Pattaya Police Investigator) was confronted by Mr. David John Marshall [62], a British national. Mr. Marshall presented himself to Pattaya Police, suffering from a severely swollen face, black eye and broken tooth. He reported to police that he had been bashed by a group of Thai men after hiring a Jetski from a Pattaya Beach operator close to Soi 13 on Pattaya Beach Road.

Full Story and pictures

Pattaya Daily News

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

2010-02-20

"The argument became very heated, ending with the three Thai Jetski operators attacking Mr. Marshall before another two Thai men walking past the incident also joined in on the attack. Mr. Marshall was able to escape the onslaught, but not before being hit several times in the face causing him numerous injuries."

The typical situation here. A farang is being bashed so any Thai in the area takes the opportunity to get a kick in. Cowards!

"Note: The Pattaya Daily News team will investigate this incident further in an attempt to uncover the whole story, which in our opinion, at present appears rather vague."

I wonder what they think is vague about this story. It has happened so often that it's unlikely to be incorrect. Tourists rent jetski, comes back without having had any issues but are confronted with a bill for having damaged the jetski, a bill that is many times the actual cost of repair. Just see the "Trouble in Thailand" program if you want an example.

That's a boozer's nose he's got there.

And looks like he's seriously Photoshopped his passport photo to take about 20 years off his age.

All this doesn't mean people have the right to beat him up though.

All these overtouristed beach areas from Pattaya to Patong are becoming more and more places to avoid with no shortage of local lowlifes itching for the chance to lay into a Western bloke, even if it's a farang in his 60's.

And looks like he's seriously Photoshopped his passport photo to take about 20 years off his age.

That is a very rude low blow to a man who has just been violently assaulted. BTW, his passport appears to be about 7 years old ... I am sure many of our old passport pictures have younger looking pictures ... DUH.

That is a very rude low blow to a man who has just been violently assaulted. BTW, his passport appears to be about 7 years old ... I am sure many of our old passport pictures have younger looking pictures ... DUH.

That's fabulous. I'm just using his passport details to apply for some credit cards. Thanks, Pattaya Daily News.

You have just got to feel sorry for innocent tourists who haven't a clue about Pattaya scams and dangers.

About two weeks ago I saw a western guy getting his head kicked-in by three Thai thugs outside Royal Garden Mall, beach side. He had accidentally trodden on some display crap laid out on the pavement.

It's funny some stuff never makes the local news. I wonder what percentage of crimes against farang tourist is never reported in Pattaya?

That's fabulous. I'm just using his passport details to apply for some credit cards. Thanks, Pattaya Daily News.

hmmmmm...You got a point there. I don't think I would want my passport info POSTED on the internet like that.

i was just thinking the same thing ..... are they crazy showing the passport?? ... it showes all the informaiton to make a fake !

You have just got to feel sorry for innocent tourists who haven't a clue about Pattaya scams and dangers.

About two weeks ago I saw a western guy getting his head kicked-in by three Thai thugs outside Royal Garden Mall, beach side. He had accidentally trodden on some display crap laid out on the pavement.

It's funny some stuff never makes the local news. I wonder what percentage of crimes against farang tourist is never reported in Pattaya?

I've always wondered what would happen if I did this. They lay their crap out right on the sidewalk. When it get's busy, and you aren't paying attention, it's easy to walk on their stuff.

This really sucks. I have also seen this "gang" mentality here in Thailand. When someone is down, join in and kick the s*** out of the poor fellow. I hope the thugs get caught...but know that won't happen....

I've always wondered what would happen if I did this. They lay their crap out right on the sidewalk. When it get's busy, and you aren't paying attention, it's easy to walk on their stuff.

This really sucks. I have also seen this "gang" mentality here in Thailand. When someone is down, join in and kick the s*** out of the poor fellow. I hope the thugs get caught...but know that won't happen....

herd instincts prevail around the world...be it in the jungles or the fish aquariums.

pattaya or patong are no exceptions.

so, farangs, as outsiders - as the word "farang" suggests, beware your presence in a foreign ground.

go home, if you must, to be in familiar territories or be with your own kind.

no one anywhere in the world likes to be used and be abused.

the same goes for the farangs and the thais.

just remember for now, this is thailand, not germany,finland, norway,russia,oz or the uk or the u.s. of a.

What??? Actually I don't agree with you. I've been in situations several times during my travels to 70 countries around the world. And many times have had locals step in to help...not make it worse. Even here in Thailand, in Issan, I've had young lads rush to my aid when trouble was brewing (hard to avoid when you visit one of those Issan concerts).

Well all know well this is not Germany, etc....and that is why we are here....and have been here for years.

Unfortunately there is an underlying factor in the thai mentality especially for thai men and that is jealosy.Thai men hate seeing us farangs with their women and buying things that they cannot afford. Not all but alot of thai men will tell you that they would love to see all farangs gone from thailand , because we are no good and evil. I suppose this is what you expect from a third world country , education will go a long way to curing the thai mentality about us westerners, However in the meantime there will be alot more bashings of old farang men by six to seven thais happening.

I think the answer to that is a MASSIVE amount.

More than we would probably like to know, hence maybe the (self-?)censorship.

Also if you reported every crime in the papers, there would be no space for the expensive advertisers to lay out their vision of the New Pattaya.

be careful, he probably got it made - up on the Kosan road!

hmmmmm...You got a point there. I don't think I would want my passport info POSTED on the internet like that.

That's a boozer's nose he's got there.

All this doesn't mean people have the right to beat him up though.

Some words of wisdom there Briggsy, will try to remember a boozers nose and younger looking passport picture is no reason to slap someone mobhanded.

i was just thinking the same thing ..... are they crazy showing the passport?? ... it showes all the informaiton to make a fake !

Mossad has already cloned it...

Edited by Basil B

This jet-ski business must be world news by now??

Anyone who rents a jet-ski in Thailand is foolish.

I saw the touts in Phuket last week, they look so sly the way they approach you as if they've known you all your life, making you feel comfortable....

Until you return from the sea.... :)

I stood on a cheap jewelry item once and crunched it. All by accident and with no dramas paid the 99baht for it. My fault for walking to close to the dispaly mat, but no issues with anyone getting pissed off and a fight erupting. Probably a standard trick to have the mats out like that, but I was still the dozy person who stood on it :)

^rent jet-ski(s) all the time! :) If you make yourself a mark you end up being taken. Take precautions and they will not fk with you. :D

I pretty much go along with this. Note any damage beforehand, make it known that you are not some walk off the plane sap and you should be ok. If it feels "strange" then move on.

What??? Actually I don't agree with you. I've been in situations several times during my travels to 70 countries around the world. And many times have had locals step in to help...not make it worse. Even here in Thailand, in Issan, I've had young lads rush to my aid when trouble was brewing (hard to avoid when you visit one of those Issan concerts).

Well all know well this is not Germany, etc....and that is why we are here....and have been here for years.

Pattaya is not Thailand.

What about Samui? Phuket? Koh Pha Ngan? Pai? Khao San Road? All are Thailand...just overrun with tourists unfortunately!