Thai Immigration Boss Vows New Crackdown On Foreign Criminals In Thailand

george

Crackdown Expands to Expel Foreign Criminals

Special Police Conference 21.02.2010 13:08

gallery_327_1086_9467.jpg

Thailand Immigration Bureau Commissioner Lt. General Wuthi Liptapallop together with Sanan Kachornprasart

Immigration Bureau Commissioner Lt. General Wuthi Liptapallop to Spearhead Hunt for Foreign Criminals in Thailand

In an exclusive interview with the Pattaya Times newspaper a US Marshal based at the US Embassy in Bangkok, he reported, “When we are looking to issue a criminal warrant for crime committed in the US and we know the suspect fled. First we look in Las Vegas. The we look in Bangkok and Pattaya Thailand. These are the easiest places to hide.”

The Pattaya Times attended a special conference in Pattaya where Thailand Immigration Bureau Commissioner Lt. General Wuthi Liptapallop agreed Thailand is known worldwide as a safe haven for criminals because of its relatively easy-going visa policies and the large number of foreigners here and was doing something to stop this and catch the foreign criminals.

Police Lt. General Wuthi, who also heads the Transnational Crime Coordination Unit within the bureau, said his unit has been given the identifications of the ''Most Wanted'' people sought by the US's Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and INTERPOL.

When the NSB receives information about foreign drug traffickers, we would like to receive the same information here. We want to be linked to the US Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Drug Enforcement Administration, Interpol and to other foreign law enforcement organizations, he said.

At a special conference held at a Jomtien Hotel on Soi 12 on Friday and Saturday Police Lt. General Wuthi spoke in English to representatives of foreign embassies and police organizations stationed in Bangkok.

As proof of this new direction Police Lt. General “Wut” Liptaphanlop directed the embassy and foreign police officials gathered at the conference to news articles of Korean, Japanese and Danish fugitives caught by Thailand Immigration in English

as reported in the local Pattaya Times newspaper as evidinece of the success of his force.

He pointed out three cases-in-point of the high profile criminals his immigration police have caught and referred foreign representatives to the articles published in the Pattaya Times and on the internet:

http://pattaya-times.com/a5078-thailand-im...korean-fugitive

http://pattaya-times.com/a5087-fugitive-da...raud-in-bangkok

http://pattaya-times.com/a5086-japanese-ya...ted-in-thailand

We will not stand for letting foreign gangs operate in Thailand or criminals to live freely here. This is a tourist destination attracting millions of visitors worldwide. Thailand is safe. The National Criminal Centre will use the databases we have on foreign arrivals and departures at immigration checkpoints along with hotel reports of guests and 90-day reporting of foreigners here on long stay visas to catch the small percentage of foreigners who commit crimes.

Police Lt. General “Wut” Liptaphanlop said, We will try to classify the various warrants and arrangewarrants into categories depending on the severity of the crimes. Some foreigners are wanted for human trafficking, robbery, terrorism, drugs, murder, kidnapping, rape and other serious charges, while some are wanted for lesser charges.

The new National Criminal Center office will work with INTERPOL, US, Scandinavian, EU countries, Great Britain and Australia, as well as Asian countries to catch fugitives on the run and hiding in Thailand as is necessary to also coordinate between local law enforcement agencies in Thailand working on rooting out transnational crime in Thailand

A branch office will open in a few days at the Chonburi Immigration headquarters on Jomtien Soi 5 led by Police Colonel Athiwit Kamolrat.

The main office will open in March under the command of Police Lt. General “Wut” Liptaphanlop at the Soi Suan Phlu Immigration office which used to be the main Immigration Bureau office until relocated to a new building on Chiang Wantana where Thai visas and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are also located.

Both offices will handle police requests from abroad and INTEROL Red Notices to track down foreign criminals who may be in Thailand.

The crackdown will target more than 2,000 foreign nationals who have outstanding international arrest warrants against them and a list of about 1,000 foreign nationals with arrest warrants issued by Thai courts who have committed crimes while in Thailand.

Pol Lt Gen Wuthi, who served as commissioner of the Narcotic Suppression Bureau (NSB), deputy commissioner of the Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) and commander of the Tourist Police (TP), took over as immigration chief in November when there was a reshuffling of many major postings of Thai government public servants and governors.

source: pattaya-times.com

pattayatimeslogo.png

-- Pattaya Times 2010-02-21

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thai Immigration vows new crackdown on foreign criminals in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Thai Immigration Bureau Commissioner Wuthi Liptapallop vows a new crackdown to get rid of hundreds of foreign criminals living in Thailand, Bangkok Post is reporting this morning.

Full story

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good golly. That's going to put a dent in the bar revenues of Pattaya and Phuket. :) Looks like there's going to be a stream of refugees heading for the seedier parts of Cambodia if they actually do what they say they will do.

Another crackdown...................really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is it hard to get rid of known criminals?

Surely the computer system at immigration should flag them up when they come over the border?

Then again what about htose says where you see a sign outside the border "Sorry for the long queue the computers are broken"... that would be a good day for criminals to cross the border.

How to get rid of criminals that are not known/have not been caught... well you cant really can you?

How is it hard to get rid of known criminals?

Surely the computer system at immigration should flag them up when they come over the border?

Then again what about htose says where you see a sign outside the border "Sorry for the long queue the computers are broken"... that would be a good day for criminals to cross the border.

How to get rid of criminals that are not known/have not been caught... well you cant really can you?

How about all the Thai criminal. When will they do some crackdown too

Let's hope it's not just one more "crackdown" which will go nowhere. This one is needed.

In recent weeks the BIB raided a town house a few doors from us and arrested a guy who it turns out was a Korean mafia guy on the run from the police. He has since been turned over to the Korean police.

About 2 months ago the BIB arrived in force late one night and dragged off 3 black African guys who were living in an apartment block in the same complex as our town house. They had been in possession of and distributing fake $US banknotes.

Let's hope it's not just one more "crackdown" which will go nowhere. This one is needed.

In recent weeks the BIB raided a town house a few doors from us and arrested a guy who it turns out was a Korean mafia guy on the run from the police. He has since been turned over to the Korean police.

About 2 months ago the BIB arrived in force late one night and dragged off 3 black African guys who were living in an apartment block in the same complex as our town house. They had been in possession of and distributing fake $US banknotes.

Dude! You gotta move.

With all due respect (or not) to board members, if this policy was strictly enforced, for 80% of all male foreigners living or visiting in the Kingdom, it would be Hasta-la-bye-bye...but of course, its not going to happen..

Really? What about this new policy would target your typical visitor? It specifically mentions going after those with Thai warrants out on them and working with police in other countries to help locate and detail those that are hiding out in Thailand from warrants back home.

I doubt 80% of farangs are on the run from the law in their home countries.

Nice thought but bet the execution is all politicking... BS to say the least. :)

well if its gonna happen the BIB have picked the right guy for the job - Pol Gen Wuthi Liptapallop is one of the most respected officers in the force here -- and if he is heading up this clampdown it sure will happen -- he has a long distinguished list of busts to his credit = and one of the few who has the strengths to get this job done - good to see that immigration finally has someone in charge with the balls to get things done -- i wish him all the very best -

Good golly. That's going to put a dent in the bar revenues of Pattaya and Phuket. :) Looks like there's going to be a stream of refugees heading for the seedier parts of Cambodia if they actually do what they say they will do.

i hope that non criminal don't get caught up in red type! while the real criminals beat the system and run free. most proper ciminals go everywhere with their lawyers. to sweeup behinde them.

Edited by BigC

I'm happy for any country i stay in to rid themselves of criminals (foreign and native). If UK or USA cracked down on all the crooks tey let in, they'd not be in the mess that they now find themselves in. The key is though, charity begins at home. You can't target only foreign criminals, you have to target ALL criminals. Another key, and this is a BIG POINT; the law enforecment officers have to be incorruptable (or as near as dam_n it). Expecting a policeforce to enforce the law and not take bribes from all and sundry (superwealthy crooks to the average Joe) is beyond the bounds of reason in countries that pay their officers a pittance and accept corruption as 2nd nature. From the cradle to the grave - people learn to effortlessly limbo beneath the bar of corrutption. It is the accepted way and that's why countries are, and always will, struggle to enforce the law and, by that, enforce change.

Charity begins at home and "Change" starts with oneself! If a country wants to rid itself of criminals it must first rid the police force of criminals. Can you see it ever happening? Neither can i.....and we all know why!

Let the dance continue!

A new National Criminal Centre, to be based at the immigration office in Soi Suan Phlu, will open next month to handle police requests from abroad to track down foreign criminals

So sounds like at this point they will be only acting on requests from nations abroad. So if you have some small misdemeanor or unpaid child support or something you likely have nothing to worry about. Your country wouldn't even be willing to pay for you to be extradited much less go to all of the trouble to track you down and request Thailand to arrest you.

This sounds like they are going after serious offenders - which I think is a very good thing. Hopefully it will at least reduce the russian mafia element building up in Pattaya - though I've never seen anything in Chiang Mai or Koh Samui to suggest it is a haven for criminals...

With all due respect (or not) to board members, if this policy was strictly enforced, for 80% of all male foreigners living or visiting in the Kingdom, it would be Hasta-la-bye-bye...but of course, its not going to happen..

If you really believe that then I strongly suggest you review your social circle.

How to get rid of criminals that are not known/have not been caught... well you cant really can you?[/quote[/b]]

-Well it is a good start to take the ones that are living here and that are known.. hello.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about all the Thai criminal. When will they do some crackdown too

-This is Thailand, we are foreigner, it is not up to us to bother about Thai criminals....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

In that case the Thai government should tell all foreign embassies that they are not allowed to keep the passports of people applying for a visa to enter their country. The Vietnamese have had mine for over a week now because they shut down for an entire week for the Tet holiday. I think Pol. Lt. Gen. Wuthi should explain what the foreigner is expected to do in this circumstance.

As for the crackdown on foreign criminals - good idea, I hope it actually happens (without any harassment of non-criminals).

yeah. I had a Russian in my bar trying to pay his bill with fake a 100 US dollar bill. The money was so obviously fake and I said no. He shrugged his shoulders and paid in Baht!!!

Great, may be Thailand will teach the rest of the world how they sort out chinese names, which can be written or spoken in many different kind

Guess its a good idea anyway to send some foreigners back to their homecountrys.....but before many of them will relocate to Cambodia :)

My wife got locked up in Bangkok this week for not having her ID on her.

Idiocy, they wouldn't walk with her the 2 blocks to friends house to get it.

And terrified the poor lady for hours, just because she stepped out to 7/11 without her purse.

So I guess I will carry mine more often...

Edited by animatic

My wife got locked up in Bangkok this week for not having her ID on her.

Idiocy, they wouldn't walk with her the 2 blocks to friends house to get it.

And terrified the poor lady for hours, just because she stepped out to 7/11 without her purse.

So I guess I will carry mine more often...

Interesting quote from the article referenced earlier...

But there were be no let up on the requirement for all foreigners to carry their passport with them all times, he (Bureau commissioner Wuthi Liptapallop) said. "This is for identification purposes. It is a law. Every Thai national must carry their ID card with them at all times, so why should foreigners be exempt? To carry a copy is not acceptable because it is impossible to see whether it is counterfeit or altered. Carrying a passport is not something we thought up in Thailand, but a normal regulation in many countries. I have been to many countries and carried my passport with me all the time."

I guess we are warned, then?

Edited by onomataho

I think when they talk about criminals they refer to the law not to the bible. So 80% might be a bit too high. But if they really start to clean up would be good.