General Warns Of Coup If Attacks On Prem Continue

johncitizen

It's not his choice to make. It is (or should be) the people's choice. I for one would not disrespect by second-guessing them.

Just imagine: I wonder if anyone can think of any country where the military routinely makes threats or denials about an impending coup.. I mean other than a couple African basket cases. This truly should not be accepted.. As a coup would overthrow Abhisit's government, you'd think he would speak out, but ... I guess we know how much influence Abhisit wields in the scheme of things.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well well. 'attack' here means of course 'criticize'. That apparently is worthy of a coup threat. What a great army this country has.

Nice of the Nation to again pen up Thepthai's rants.

I thought a Coup had been expressly ruled out by Anupong??

You haven't been here long enough.

Based on the precedents of the previous 18 coups, Anupong's statement should be translated: "A coup is in the making. We just publicly rule it out for all the idiots/sheep/pollyannas* who take our words at face value." :)

*Pollyanna (Webster's Dictionary): a person characterized by irrepressible optimism and a tendency to find good in everything.

Edited by toptuan

The reds don't have a hope in hel_l. They are hopelessly outgunned by brutal forces and many will have their eyes torn out on Friday whilst others will end up hanging from trees with their shoes stuffed in their mouths, half way down their throats a la 1976. It's the Thai way.

Keep all references to The Crown out of the discussion.

Then may I humbly suggest editing that topic out of the thread title?

I agree, am uncomfortable with the 'word' equate. I think there is ground of lese majeste in that sentence, any Thai citizens here can help to make a report against the former chief of army board?

The reds don't have a hope in hel_l. They are hopelessly outgunned by brutal forces and many will have their eyes torn out on Friday whilst others will end up hanging from trees with their shoes stuffed in their mouths, half way down their throats a la 1976. It's the Thai way.

Thank you for that bland, dispirited, racist description. :)

Well well. 'attack' here means of course 'criticize'. That apparently is worthy of a coup threat. What a great army this country has.

Perhaps he is referring to the riots outside Prem's Bangkok home, a couple of years ago, in which case 'attack' means exactly what it says ? :)

Let's for arguments sake assume that he was indeed talking about an event several years ago: why would a law enforcement issue be any ground for threatening a coup in any civilized country? There's really no way around this one, or if there is, I haven't seen anything yet that went beyond the usual bile against Thaksin and the Reds.

It's not his choice to make. It is (or should be) the people's choice. I for one would not disrespect by second-guessing them.

Just imagine: I wonder if anyone can think of any country where the military routinely makes threats or denials about an impending coup.. I mean other than a couple African basket cases. This truly should not be accepted.. As a coup would overthrow Abhisit's government, you'd think he would speak out, but ... I guess we know how much influence Abhisit wields in the scheme of things.

Just to remind when the coup happened Thaksin was not elected anymore, he was the dictator of a complete unconstitutional one party parliament. The military made a coup and brought fresh free elections.

So if they would do a coup against Abhisit who is the elected leader, to reinstall Thaksin it would be something very different.

Gossip on Thai weboards that the very harsh GT200 statement by Abhisit has undermined any attempt at a coup against him in the very short term. Army and government are not the same thing especially Abhisit side Dems and the side of the army that wants a lot more harsh treatment dished out.

I think right now everyonbe on every side is balancing things as the extrmists on either side could set the agenda and by doing so take out the more moderate elements on their own and possibly the other side as well. That is a very high stakes game and few in control on either side will really want to play it as to lose is going to be very very bad. But keeping the extreme of your side in control is getting harder by the day.

Gossip on Thai weboards that the very harsh GT200 statement by Abhisit has undermined any attempt at a coup against him in the very short term. Army and government are not the same thing especially Abhisit side Dems and the side of the army that wants a lot more harsh treatment dished out.

I think right now everyonbe on every side is balancing things as the extrmists on either side could set the agenda and by doing so take out the more moderate elements on their own and possibly the other side as well. That is a very high stakes game and few in control on either side will really want to play it as to lose is going to be very very bad. But keeping the extreme of your side in control is getting harder by the day.

I don't agree..... I don't see anyone in the military want to stage a coup (beside some Thaksin cronies without enough power). Stage it for what? The red danger is vanishing by the day. Less than 1000 people against the BKK bank. After the court sizes the 76 billions Thaksin will have even less power. Maybe he can rent 80.000 people mob for 1 day but that's all.

The only reason which justifies a coup would be if he can openly bribe the court to give him the money back. that would mean the complete justice system has failed. But I don't see how a coup could fix that, or any military leader with enough vision to be able to fix both the police and the juristic system.

Perhaps he is referring to the riots outside Prem's Bangkok home, a couple of years ago, in which case 'attack' means exactly what it says ? :)

Let's for arguments sake assume that he was indeed talking about an event several years ago: why would a law enforcement issue be any ground for threatening a coup in any civilized country? There's really no way around this one, or if there is, I haven't seen anything yet that went beyond the usual bile against Thaksin and the Reds.

Three years ago surely, not "an event several years ago", unless you're talking about Prem's speech to the cadets, when he upset DL so much by reminding them where their real loyalty was supposed to be ?

I can understand some people in the military, especially the older/retired ones, being upset by continued attacks on Prem, whom they remember as holding the country together in the 1970s. But I don't see this as a real threat, to stage an unwanted coup, more of a 'shot across the Red-Shirts' bows', to remind them not to threaten higher institutions.

The most that might happen, in my opinion only & for what it's worth, is that the military might come out to impose martial-law, if requested/instructed to by the current PM/government, and were Thaksin's supporters to try a civil-uprising. The preparations for doing this have clearly already been made, and the message given, through the media.

But thankfully this is looking increasingly unlikely (fingers crossed !). Both the army-chief Anupong, and PM Abhisit, have made it clear that they don't welcome or expect a coup. And would Abhisit have made the GT200-statement if he felt anything less than totally secure ?

Three years ago surely, not "an event several years ago", unless you're talking about

I'm not talking about anything beyond what this guy said. I already stated that for argument's sake I would go along with your opinion.

Military coups are for basket case countries without strong democracies, especially if the only challenge is a demonstration or political speech. (freedom of assembly, freedom of expression, etc). Even when things escalate beyond the scope of those freedoms then it becomes a law enforcement challenge at best. Not overthrowing the government and once again shredding the constitution.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Just to remind when the coup happened Thaksin was

This is just laughable.. ANY point I make gets deflected to the same broken-record "Thaksin Thaksin Thaksin" drone. I DONT CARE about Thaksin. The topic is on the strength Thai democracy, or lack thereof.

There is a good reason it sounds like a broken record.

The artist hasn't figure out he is off the hit parade of love

and so keeps using payola to get his records played even

if only a handful of people are still listening...

Hey Arrisman... remember fame, hard to get it back ain't it!

Until that Khun T. figures out it's time to call it a day, then this goes on.

There is little logical reason for a coup from the current army leadership.

There is logic for a Thaksin side coup, but I doubt they have the numbers anymore.

The only ones left are the disgruntled types sidelined for getting too close to Dr. T. while still in office.

There certainly is some logic in telling those who are walking the lese majesty tight rope on the Red side,

that the army may deal with them even if the government says no, if they don't stop their attacks on

Prem and what he represents.

If we look at this from western eyes we see talk of absurdly illogical coups,

but if, as some do, you look with 'Thai eyes', ie read between the lines more,

it is veiled warnings towards certain corners of the game,

and for those Thais a not too subtle warning.

Edited by animatic

We can all dream.....

I thought a Coup had been expressly ruled out by Anupong?? Or is he not in charge any more?

How can you tell when a politician is lying? They open their mouths and their lips move!

So he's lucky he's not a real general in command of the army, just a politician. Otherwise there might even be some loss of face if his public announcements of policy were to be contradicted in public by his inferiors. If that happened to a real general, he would be a laughing stock.......

Oh jeez. You really have been drinking the kool Aid haven't you? Prem is fair game for criticism. One has the impression that Prem sees himself as more than a servant of the crown. This brings to mind the situation in Japan during WWII where military members of the court believed that it was there role to dictate to Emperor Hirohito. If anyone is playing with fire, it is the military and General Prem. He should be neutral and above politics as is the proper role of his position.

Please document anything that leads you to believe that Prem is acting as anything but an advisor to the crown.

anything? or will this be another question you just don't answer?

Thank you for asking for my reasoning. :)

As I understand it, retired General Boonlert Kaewprasith is a friend and associate of fellow retired general and now president of the privy council, Prem Tinsulanonda. I do not believe that he would speak out without the tacit agreement of Prem. I would go one step further, and say that the relationship is not one of friendship but more of respect for someone held in high regard and even reverance by the military.

One of the duties expected of all privy councilors in Thailand is that they are to act in an advisory capacity to the crown and they are to be non partisan.

Section 14. A Privy Councilor shall not be a member of the House of Representatives, senator, Election Commissioner, Ombudsman, a member of the National Human Rights Commission, Constitutional Court judge, Administrative Court judge, a member of the National Counter Corruption Commission, a member of the State Audit Commission, government official holding permanent position or receiving a salary, official of State enterprise, other State official or member or official of political party, and must not manifest loyalty to any political party.

I will leave it to others to argue whether retired general Prem has been "partisan", although I believe he has been. He has made very clear his views as to how he sees the future Thai state and the role of elected and unelected officials. I draw your attention to his 2006 interview in the Far Eastern Econom Review with Colum Murphy. It provided revealing insight into this gentleman. It may come as a surprise to you but the Privy council wields significant power in Thailand: It decides various expenditures, appointments and positions and more importantly, it is the defacto body that oversees the military. This role was further strengthened with the 2007 constitution. By making public statements that carve out the oversight and control of the military from the elected representatives he has made clear his "political" agenda. He doesn't need to come out with a big public statement, but will have others express his views.

General Prem will be 90 years old in August. He is from a different era and graduated from military college at the time of the defacto Japanese occupation. He was shaped by political events that ranged from the defeat of the Japanese and its allies to the various communist struggles in the region. He has stated very clearly that he sees himself as a defender of Thailand and order. I would add that he wants to maintain the status quo against a changing world he does not like and for that he is much like other octogenarians that have spent decades in the military and have no patience for people that do not follow orders or show deference to rank and title. This doesn't mean he is a bad man, just that his political views are not likely to be in harmony with people that are the same age as his great-granchildren. Nor do I doubt his sincerity in his love of country or even his integrity. However, what we have here is a typical clash of the generations and their respective views as to how things should be done, and I would suggest his actions are not too different than basic family dynamics when the elderly family members disagree with the way young people wish to run things. General Prem is not about to accept that the privy council's role should be minimized or reduced or that his views no longer hold. He has made that clear in his public statements and in the interview in 2006.

This isn't just about politics, but has at its core a struggle between those that would seek to change and those that do not want change. It is a struggle that has gone on between the generations since the dawn of civilization. General prem really does love Thailand and he wants the best for the country. The problem is that his vision may not necessarily be the most appropriate for the coming decades. Unfortunately, it seems that General Prem wants to have a say as to who the "jockeys", as he called them, will be.

So ... the answer to my question is ... "No" you have no evidence at all of anything, just an opinion and ..... You have been watching FOX News too much.

That's the best you can do? You have his detailed interview with the South East Asian Economic review. You didn't read it and his famous jockeys statement did you? Are you now going to pretend his statement to the military cadets never occurred?

I am surprised that you, the one that is always accusing the deposed PM Thaksin of extrajudicial murders won't say a thing when it comes to General Prem's role as the military leader in charge of "crushing" the communists.

The Fox News insult, wasn't very inventive or original. I do not watch Fox News. However, you must be quite an avid Fox News devotee as you believe that my views are influenced by Fox and only a devotee would be able to pass such a judgement.

Next please.

Sorry GK .....

But everything you have documented seems like it would fall into 'advisory' in nature. The FOX tactic you are using is clear.

Feel free to document anything you wish but in your posts above you do not document anything at all. Where do I have his detailed interview? Where did you document anything? You express a blatant opinion about partisanship but don't document it. In fact "I leave it to others to decide" when giving no evidence is a VERY FOX news tactic :)

The rest ... well was it your opinion? Was it part of an article published somewhere? What was it? Hmmmm Prem is old? ummm duh. Does his age make him more or less capable of doing things?

again all you gave was opinion ... no evidence at all

Sorry GK .....

But everything you have documented seems like it would fall into 'advisory' in nature. The FOX tactic you are using is clear.

Feel free to document anything you wish but in your posts above you do not document anything at all. Where do I have his detailed interview? Where did you document anything? You express a blatant opinion about partisanship but don't document it. In fact "I leave it to others to decide" when giving no evidence is a VERY FOX news tactic :)

The rest ... well was it your opinion? Was it part of an article published somewhere? What was it? Hmmmm Prem is old? ummm duh. Does his age make him more or less capable of doing things?

The slightly hysterical response here is interesting given that GK's post was polite, measured,accurate and perceptive.I personally do believe that Prem should be resting quietly at home like other very old soldiers with a distinguished past, writing memoirs perhaps.There is prima facie evidence that he committed some gross errors of judgement, specifically his role in at very least tolerating the illegal coup, which in other countries might have got him into very deep trouble.Some of his recent public statements have also verged on the unconstitutional.I don't think that anyone other than some of the extreme reds wants charges pressed aginst someone who has done the state some considerable service.However as British PM Attlee once said of one of his ministers a long period of silence from Prem would be very desirable.

The slightly hysterical response here is interesting given that GK's post was polite, measured,accurate and perceptive.I personally do believe that Prem should be resting quietly at home like other very old soldiers with a distinguished past, writing memoirs perhaps.There is prima facie evidence that he committed some gross errors of judgement, specifically his role in at very least tolerating the illegal coup, which in other countries might have got him into very deep trouble.Some of his recent public statements have also verged on the unconstitutional.I don't think that anyone other than some of the extreme reds wants charges pressed aginst someone who has done the state some considerable service.However as British PM Attlee once said of one of his ministers a long period of silence from Prem would be very desirable.

LOL Jayboy --- "slightly hysterical"?

GK's post contained no documentation of anything just a few opinions. Which of Prem's recent public statements "verged on unconstitutional"? Exactly what role would you have an 'advisor' to the throne play in the event of a coup? (tolerating an illegal coup? LOL) In no other country could he have gotten in ANY trouble. Your suggestion that he should be quietly writing memoirs doesn't seem to be the opinion of the only people that matter regarding his position with the Privy Council. Prima facie evidence for 'gross errors of judgement'? Another cute attempt at attacking him that says nothing.

GK suggests that Prem acts too much and should just be an advisor ... but doesn't say in what way. You suggest Prem does too little and that in other countries that would get him in trouble because he didn't do more than advise. You seem to be taking opposite sides of the argument and yet neither one of you manages to make any sense.

Sorry GK .....

Advisory? Fox Tactic? You say I did not document anything. I gave you two excellent examples. I didn't want to clog up the thread with a cut and paste as I believed you were able to use Google.

Here, let me make it even easier for you;

1. This is the famous interview with the Far Eastern Asian Review. Read closely the reference to the jockeys. This is the comment that offended a great many people that believe in the concept of an elected government free of interference from vested interests.

http://www.feer.com/interviews_premium/200...em-tinsulanonda

2. The highly influential retired General, Prem Tinsulanonda, just over a month before the military coup d'etat, gave a speech to cadets telling them where their loyalties should be. Due to forum rules, and I think you know it too, I am precluded form getting into more detail as it touches upon a subject that is not allowed to be discussed.

Thewrefore, I direct you to the Asia Sentinel (Friday, 29 September 2006) that discusses this subject and offered the following conclusion;

Sonthi and Surayud both attended a lecture by Prem to army cadets at Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy. In the speech, Prem essentially set the stage for the September coup.

You may think you are being cute with your snide insults and attempts to get out of being called on the facts, but what it suggest to me is that you are not interested in anything that might shake your little world or upset your biased views.

Sorry GK .....

Advisory? Fox Tactic? You say I did not document anything. I gave you two excellent examples. I didn't want to clog up the thread with a cut and paste as I believed you were able to use Google.

Here, let me make it even easier for you;

1. This is the famous interview with the Far Eastern Asian Review. Read closely the reference to the jockeys. This is the comment that offended a great many people that believe in the concept of an elected government free of interference from vested interests.

http://www.feer.com/interviews_premium/200...em-tinsulanonda

2. The highly influential retired General, Prem Tinsulanonda, just over a month before the military coup d'etat, gave a speech to cadets telling them where their loyalties should be. Due to forum rules, and I think you know it too, I am precluded form getting into more detail as it touches upon a subject that is not allowed to be discussed.

Thewrefore, I direct you to the Asia Sentinel (Friday, 29 September 2006) that discusses this subject and offered the following conclusion;

Sonthi and Surayud both attended a lecture by Prem to army cadets at Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy. In the speech, Prem essentially set the stage for the September coup.

You may think you are being cute with your snide insults and attempts to get out of being called on the facts, but what it suggest to me is that you are not interested in anything that might shake your little world or upset your biased views.

Sorry GK --- again you are playing the same games.

You have given no facts and up until the post above no links etc to back up your claims. Yes the P.C. is NOT the Government ... They serve at the will of the Head of State. they can be removed at the will of the head of State. They are advisors.

http://www.feer.com/free-interviews/2006/s...m-tinsulanonda1

General Prem: Please dont ask me about politics. I am not allowed by law to speak about that. But to speak about my country in terms of security is okay.

There will be no coup. The media have nothing better to do...

Coup was to overthorw the thaksin related government and install their own pretty boy puppet Mark as PM. Now that they are in control why would there be another coup? Unless mark is not toeing the line as doing as he is being told

Edited by somluck

Yes the P.C. is NOT the Government ... They serve at the will of the Head of State. they can be removed at the will of the head of State. They are advisors.

Exactly right, hence the importance of not meddling in politics.The FEER interview is fascinating and it I'm afraid provides all the evidence needed that old soldiers should quietly fade away

Oh jeez. You really have been drinking the kool Aid haven't you? Prem is fair game for criticism. One has the impression that Prem sees himself as more than a servant of the crown. This brings to mind the situation in Japan during WWII where military members of the court believed that it was there role to dictate to Emperor Hirohito. If anyone is playing with fire, it is the military and General Prem. He should be neutral and above politics as is the proper role of his position.

Please document anything that leads you to believe that Prem is acting as anything but an advisor to the crown.

anything? or will this be another question you just don't answer?

Thank you for asking for my reasoning. :)

As I understand it, retired General Boonlert Kaewprasith is a friend and associate of fellow retired general and now president of the privy council, Prem Tinsulanonda. I do not believe that he would speak out without the tacit agreement of Prem. I would go one step further, and say that the relationship is not one of friendship but more of respect for someone held in high regard and even reverance by the military.

One of the duties expected of all privy councilors in Thailand is that they are to act in an advisory capacity to the crown and they are to be non partisan.

Section 14. A Privy Councilor shall not be a member of the House of Representatives, senator, Election Commissioner, Ombudsman, a member of the National Human Rights Commission, Constitutional Court judge, Administrative Court judge, a member of the National Counter Corruption Commission, a member of the State Audit Commission, government official holding permanent position or receiving a salary, official of State enterprise, other State official or member or official of political party, and must not manifest loyalty to any political party.

I will leave it to others to argue whether retired general Prem has been "partisan", although I believe he has been. He has made very clear his views as to how he sees the future Thai state and the role of elected and unelected officials. I draw your attention to his 2006 interview in the Far Eastern Econom Review with Colum Murphy. It provided revealing insight into this gentleman. It may come as a surprise to you but the Privy council wields significant power in Thailand: It decides various expenditures, appointments and positions and more importantly, it is the defacto body that oversees the military. This role was further strengthened with the 2007 constitution. By making public statements that carve out the oversight and control of the military from the elected representatives he has made clear his "political" agenda. He doesn't need to come out with a big public statement, but will have others express his views.

General Prem will be 90 years old in August. He is from a different era and graduated from military college at the time of the defacto Japanese occupation. He was shaped by political events that ranged from the defeat of the Japanese and its allies to the various communist struggles in the region. He has stated very clearly that he sees himself as a defender of Thailand and order. I would add that he wants to maintain the status quo against a changing world he does not like and for that he is much like other octogenarians that have spent decades in the military and have no patience for people that do not follow orders or show deference to rank and title. This doesn't mean he is a bad man, just that his political views are not likely to be in harmony with people that are the same age as his great-granchildren. Nor do I doubt his sincerity in his love of country or even his integrity. However, what we have here is a typical clash of the generations and their respective views as to how things should be done, and I would suggest his actions are not too different than basic family dynamics when the elderly family members disagree with the way young people wish to run things. General Prem is not about to accept that the privy council's role should be minimized or reduced or that his views no longer hold. He has made that clear in his public statements and in the interview in 2006.

This isn't just about politics, but has at its core a struggle between those that would seek to change and those that do not want change. It is a struggle that has gone on between the generations since the dawn of civilization. General prem really does love Thailand and he wants the best for the country. The problem is that his vision may not necessarily be the most appropriate for the coming decades. Unfortunately, it seems that General Prem wants to have a say as to who the "jockeys", as he called them, will be.

This is full of assumptions, many of which I doubt have much credibility.

You might like to remember just one part of this puzzle; General Prem has been seen as a very very wise and genuine and humble guide for many years by a very very large percentage of the Thai population who love him and adore him.

This didn't happen by accident. Thailand has two versions of respect:

- Respect because you simply have to respect people who are 'higher' than you. e.g. the civil servant who is expected to grovel when making contact with his/her boss, even though the civil servant knows the boss is highly corrupt.

- Respect which is totally earned and is given freely and willingly, 'buramee'.

I'm pretty sure the respect for Gen Prem is still intact even though a few people with other nasty agendas have tried to move blame onto him. Nice and convenient if you can get the spin to make him look like the nasty man.

Is at just as simple as all that? Of course not, there are many visible and invisible factors in the scenario which Thailand currently finds itself in.

Yes the P.C. is NOT the Government ... They serve at the will of the Head of State. they can be removed at the will of the head of State. They are advisors.

Exactly right, hence the importance of not meddling in politics.The FEER interview is fascinating and it I'm afraid provides all the evidence needed that old soldiers should quietly fade away

Prem is the defacto Kingmaker, Puppet master, invisible hand.....call it what you want. He pulls all the political strings in thailand. he needs realize thailand is going thru a revolution and change now politically. his methods of old of running things are outdated