Deceitful Amendment Of Contract By Thaksin´s Administration Causes Severe Public Burden

webfact

Quote:

"I'd say that 79% of all Thai's like Thaksin, and its just bangkok going south that detest him. And the ones with the fat check books. With Thai's its a Jealous thing, they don't like anyone else who is better than them. "

Wow. Those outside of Bangkok and the South love him.

Well isn't that an interesting coindicence that the areas outside of Bangkok and the South are in fact the heartland of his party (parties), but just a nice coincidence!

Or to put it another way, this is the area where two thaksin parties were disbanded for massive vote buying and their members got 5 year bans.

Or to put it another way, this is the poorest area of Thailand where, unfortunately, large numbers of the rural poor barely survive and many in fact rely on handouts, and will therefore vote for the hand that feeds them. Isn't that an interesting coincidence.

Or to put it another way - nasty and deliberate manipulation of poor people! And he still manipulates them to come to Bangkok to join rallies. It's well known that in many villages the people are 'ordered' by the local poo yai who are in cohoots with PT and the red shirts, to attend Bangkok rallies. Disgusting!

Why is everyone assuming and insinuating that Thaky did this on purpose to benefit his company? I mean, is it not possible that he was trying to do something good for the country and ACCIDENTALLY screwed everyone while he ACCIDENTALLY got mega-richer? Think about it. Would someone really do something like that?

You mean as in a genuine mistake?  :)

Not another genuine mistake, the list is now a mile long.

I'd say that 79% of all Thai's like Thaksin, and its just bangkok going south that detest him. And the ones with the fat check books.

Can you supply a source, for that stated figure of 79%, as it seems slightly high to me ?

One reason poor people down-south dislike Thaksin may be, that they remember his pre-election promise to cut the funds for any area which failed to vote for his party, and how he kept that promise when re-elected. :D

And the good burghers of Bangkok, whose traffic-problems he promised to fix in just 6 months, remember how successful he was with that ? :)

Thaksin's parties only get 75% of the vote in Chiang Mai, so there must also be people up here, who dislike him, no ?

Do they even have cheque-books, fat or otherwise, here ? My bank certainly claims not ! :D

I think much of the ill feeling towards him is because plain and simple:

People don't like to feel that they have been played.

He should be the poster child for Bull Shit Detector machines world wide.

Get your own Thaksinator Wand and never be taken for a ride again!

70% of Thailands voters couldn't give a fig for him on his best day.

On his worst day he commands but fewer and fewer listen.

No doubt THAT galls him big time.

Is there anyone on T.V that actually likes Mr. Thaksin. It seems like all the farangs on here feel personally wronged by this man. What has he actually done to the farangs? and he has only upset the thai elite not the common thai.

I think my question opened a can of worms. Sorry about that. I am a fence sitter and don't get involed in thai politics for the reason that Thaksin did not inpact on me the same as the current government does not. I live in the north of thailand and was curious about the negative thoughts of Mr Thaksin by farangs when I hear thai people up here say how much of a good man he was for them. How much he was doing not only for the people of the north but the country as a whole. This is just what people tell me and as i say not my personal thoughts.

If I understand correctly, the dispute is in respect to who bears the burden of cost for roaming charges.

I don't think there is one consumer anywhere that is happy with his or her cell phone carrier's roaming charges. Consumers everywhere pay incredibly high charges. In that regard, Thais are just part of the world's consumers who's rectums bleed after a cell phone carrier's seductive embrace.

Getting back to the original topic, the reason we have no full 3G and probably won't have it on a proper scale for another 18 months is that the telecom concessions are such a mess, and various players in the industry, namely the ICT minister (who's actually a Nurse and hasn't a clue what's going on) are stalling on the licensing to protect TOT and CAT.

Alot of this stems from the original deal TOT was 'forced' to strike with AIS, giving them favourable terms, and resulting in many subsequently compensatory concession agreements with other telcos. It's all such a mess that introducing 3G under this unlevel playing field, will ultimately put someone at a disadvantage (since they will lose the remainder of their compensatory agreement).

It's probable Thaksin had a hand in 'forcing' the deal on TOT, establising a long tradition of interfering in the telecoms concession business by PMs, politicians and the state owned telcoms operator who try to protect a monopoly as a retailer rather than supplier.

If Thaksin was still in power it's likely 3G would have been 'forced' through ages ago, but benefitting certain parties. More of the same 'Business as usual in THailand'.

Edited by virtualtraveller

Why is everyone assuming and insinuating that Thaky did this on purpose to benefit his company? I mean, is it not possible that he was trying to do something good for the country and ACCIDENTALLY screwed everyone while he ACCIDENTALLY got mega-richer? Think about it. Would someone really do something like that?

Ah yes the proverbial " Honest Mistake."

So how many does your average, run of the mill,

megalomaniac, cleptographer get in a political career?

"Deceitful amendment of contract by Thaksin´s administration causes severe public burden"

Wow, 7 years after the fact, someone actually thinks this is "news".

It is, most definitely it is, very apropos. It took this long to bring the issue to legal resolution.

Statute of limitations isn't up, and this is totally at the heart of the assets seizure motions.

But it is only ONE aspect of Thaksins misanthropic days in power.

Operating Thailand like he was CEO of his own profit making company. Shin Corp, Thailand division.

"Deceitful amendment of contract by Thaksin´s administration causes severe public burden"

Wow, 7 years after the fact, someone actually thinks this is "news".

In 2006, similar charges were levelled at Thaksin in regards to itv. That he ammended the contract with the Office of the Prime Minister to allow a different percentage of news to entertainment ratio. The result was, that itv was hit with a massive fine, and ordered to restructure the ratio back to it's original format.

itv, couldn't afford the fine, and with less income, became a non viable company. As a result, the concession was returned to the State. As a result, we now have TPBS. Which, whilst argueably more beneficial, has to be totally funded by the State. The fact is, the original concession structure was never really financially viable, and after the concession fee free period lapsed, 7 of the original 10 companies which made up itv, sold out.

Most of the mobile telecom companies are coming towards the end of their concessions, with approx 5 years left. None of the companies are interested in extending the concession periods because 3G (if it ever comes) will totally change the way the financial structure works.

With TOT and CAT very quickly (although some would argue, not quick enough), losing their monopoly status, it is possible that a restructuring of the mobile phone business could be a possibility...

Is there anyone on T.V that actually likes Mr. Thaksin. It seems like all the farangs on here feel personally wronged by this man. What has he actually done to the farangs? and he has only upset the thai elite not the common thai.

as a side note, he increased the immigration fees for visa extentions from 500 to 1900 baht.

He is one of the many slimy businessmen who got into politics. He just happened to be too greedy and not share with the others who run the country. For not sharing, and for trying to take control (he is new super-rich) not like them, the other super rich decided that they would actually use some of the laws in the country which usually do not apply to them.

How many countries in the world have ever held $2 billion of any businessman's or politician's money. I cannot think of anytime in any place that it has happened before. Yes, we know why, because he was trying to upset the balance, but it is still a rarity for this much money to be held by any government.

His concern for the people of poverty in this country goes no further than their votes.

Edited by eljeque

Wrong on several points:

- I suggest that many farang on this site don't fell personally wronged but they do have great concerns about Thailand, their adopted home and in many cases the home of their offspring, in terms of laying the foundations whereby the greedy, the ruthless, the corrupt can't get their sticky fingers into massive amounts of taxpayers funds, kill people at will, etc. At least thats' my scenario.

- This 'elite' word is massively over used. There are many wealthy honourable sincere fair-minded Thai people who want Thailand to go forward with better quality fo life for all. 'elite is an overused convenient misnoma.

- You say 'he has not upset the common Thai'. Wrong, very wrong. Many middle class people hate the man and how he raped the country and then claimed, with nothing to back it up in any way shape or form ' they want me to be president for life'. He in fact insulted the intelligence of Thais and intimidated anybody who tried to speak out.

Is that why Abhisit is scared to call a General Election and to put himself forward as a prospective Prime Minister to the Thai Electorate?

Wrong on several points:

- I suggest that many farang on this site don't fell personally wronged but they do have great concerns about Thailand, their adopted home and in many cases the home of their offspring, in terms of laying the foundations whereby the greedy, the ruthless, the corrupt can't get their sticky fingers into massive amounts of taxpayers funds, kill people at will, etc. At least thats' my scenario.

- This 'elite' word is massively over used. There are many wealthy honourable sincere fair-minded Thai people who want Thailand to go forward with better quality fo life for all. 'elite is an overused convenient misnoma.

- You say 'he has not upset the common Thai'. Wrong, very wrong. Many middle class people hate the man and how he raped the country and then claimed, with nothing to back it up in any way shape or form ' they want me to be president for life'. He in fact insulted the intelligence of Thais and intimidated anybody who tried to speak out.

Is that why Abhisit is scared to call a General Election and to put himself forward as a prospective Prime Minister to the Thai Electorate?

LOL...oh good, another new bozo with the "call an election" crap. Think about it - if you were the PM right now, would you call an election? Would you be that stupid? You've got a violent quasi-political group threatening to pull the country apart if their leader/benefactor doesn't get his money on Friday; you've got a rogue general advocating violent overthrow of the government; an international financial crisis.... Yeah, thats what the country needs now, an election. :)

itv, couldn't afford the fine, and with less income, became a non viable company. As a result, the concession was returned to the State. As a result, we now have TPBS. Which, whilst argueably more beneficial, has to be totally funded by the State.

The fine was totally justifiable. The loss of iTV was a tremendous benefit to the country as not only did it separate the megalomaniac from his mouthpiece, it also led to the establishment of public television with a diverse and educational programming line-up which is very much deserving of the support from the people, particularly as the other commercial television channels are, shall we say to be kind, lacking in value.