A Little History Of Cowboy

Have a chat to Pam in "Pams Cocktail lounge" and she might give you a sprinkling of the history of the "real cowboy"....She is a GEM...

Remember the Twins setup........dont know if you are coming or going and my eyes were good at the time.

Lots more good old stories in the pipelines...crazy jack (owned almost everything -not Shadow bar Jack)..the Saudi Prince who wanted to buy the place...and nana ...and patpong...and..... :o

Does anyone remember the "Quite Spot"  good vids before DVD's were invented

Next to the Offshore ?

That was called The Quite Side??? I thinks.....anyway long gone.

Yep..correct The Quiet Side...and Chris M was the boss.(old Ex Saudi Diesel man)

first met him in the 80s ...next door but not seen for some time. :D

the "quiet spot" was the one in C.Boy that served up food :D

..wot happened to the "air and ounds" :o

Does anyone remember the "Quite Spot"  good vids before DVD's were invented

Next to the Offshore ?

That was called The Quite Side??? I thinks.....anyway long gone.

Yep..correct The Quiet Side...and Chris M was the boss.(old Ex Saudi Diesel man)

first met him in the 80s ...next door but not seen for some time. :D

the "quiet spot" was the one in C.Boy that served up food :D

..wot happened to the "air and ounds" :o

The brain can't recall The Quite Spot right now but, David of the Hare sold out to The Dollhouse and opened a bar up-country....only to return to Washington Sq about 18 months ago...Davids partner opened Hare in Jomtien, his name was Graham.......Have not seen him for a few years.

It was roughly opposite the long gun/toy bar/exchange place and had a small bar at the front with a restaurant in the back.

Mostly Thai food but also did bacon,sausages,egg,chips and beans type of menu.

It went long before the sky train arrived. :o

The only vid bar I can remember I think was called "The Jet Set". It was run by a Swiss(?) guy who had a young daughter. I believe he moved the bar out onto Sukhumvit across the road from The Ambassador circa 1985.

Anyone remember the Milano ?

Just remebered does anyone know what ever happened to 'Doc' Bowden (?). Geordie and a Newcastle fan obviiously.He ran the Black and White, (also known as The Offshore before 86, pub round the corner in 23. I think he sold up sometime in the late eighties. He'd been in Thailand for many years. I always found him a good guy to talk too but I know others didn't like him at all. Horrible wife I seem to remember.

Edited by tso310

OK, here is one for ya, The Joker Club :o which was on top of a restaurant called the ??? Owned by Chris and Peter. I seem to recall it being at the top of Soi 19???

They sold up and went into Condos and Hotels including The Tai Pan in 23.

Happy days.

Was that on the left hand side before you got to the old China Inn?

Most of the upstairs places around there and in the back allys now seem to be targeted towards our "nippon"friends :o

Another from the past was a place called the "I.Q."bar and rest.which was a bit like an Americian diner...very clean and great "sarnies" and just along from the most famous old cheapie guest house.(used to be Bt 50.-tamada- but you shared the "karzie")...M.P.R...

One more from the memory bin. Anyone recall "Doc's Place"? Owned and ran by a Brit who used to work offshore as a Rig Medic/Materialsman.

Wife's name was "Pencee".

This place was right at the end of the soi - more of a restaurant/bar than a go-go spot.

See my post above. It was a regular meeting place for those of us working in Saudi back in the early 80's. I thought his bar was originally called The Offshore but I'm begining to think that was a bar back up towards Sukhumvit on Soi 23. It certainly changed to The Black and White sometime after 1985.

See my post above.  It was a regular meeting place for those of us working in Saudi back in the early 80's. I thought his bar was originally called The Offshore but I'm begining to think that was a bar back up towards Sukhumvit on Soi 23. It certainly changed to The Black and White sometime after 1985.

Sorry tso310 - missed your reference to Doc Bowden. I worked on one of the rigs with him back in the late 70's. Remember him as an all-right guy. A little on the heavy side as he liked his food and hated work. :o

I remember his wife at the time, "Pencee," as real "Babe" material though. :D

The present owner of the Offshore (soi 23 -not cowboy) I think took over around 1985-86.

Got me old brain working but think Doc Boden had it before then...but not 100% cert.

As said above most of thye punters at that time tended to work for the likes of Saudi Diesel,Haliburton,Hughes Avation,Conoco/Total/Bp/ and good "oil" Aramco(incl.me)and there was that outfit with the moto...".let us swab out your holes."... :D ....oil related.

Should be back in there sometimes over the next 2-3 weeks ..so will check :o

It was around 85/86 that Doc left. I seem to remember he had a young son who was the apple of his eye. However whenever his wife turned up she always seemed to give him grief. Wasn't the motto of the bar "No hustle, no hastle".

Rinrada :- I was in the IT dept, Material Applications Division, 83-84 and AOC Den Haag, 81-83, before that.

Slightly different time from me.

I first went out with Uncle Geo.Wimpy in 1976 and was based in Khobar but got see-conded to ARAMCO in 77-78 and spent most of my time with their "Dhahran Construction"side.

The other guys were all Bechtel-Homes and Narver,Northrop etc...

Great wee number flying about in folkers,choppers all over the joint.

Did just about everything including on/offshore surveys designs,desert airports,GOSPs,National Guard stuff (shared a helicopter once with Prince Abdullah... and had a good chat)

Then left for a stint in a couple of dodgy Africian "night safari parks" :D

and then back with the likes of EC Ernst/wallace Int out of washington and Texas---ye-al oil....Mostly defence stuff but did a little job in of all places Mecca/Medina.No not a "a-salami."..AKA Richard Burton and Mr Law-rence.....lots of storys but not enough time.

As said before all tit lads used to fly back on Concord from Bahrain...plumbers and sparks special. :o ..good fun

OK, here is one for ya, The Joker Club  :o  which was on top of a restaurant called the ??? Owned by Chris and Peter. I seem to recall it being at the top of Soi 19???

Happy days.

The Joker Club was over the Cock and Bull, and yes, it was just at the top of Soi 19. People used to go to the Cock and Bull in the afternoons to watch movies on a big screen whilst having a feed and a drink. It was strictly an afternoon hang-out, mostly for the oil-patch workers. Had a really nice waitress there called Toy who used to take good care of everyone. Sadly, when the Cock and Bull finally closed down, I ran into her in Soi Cowboy, now as a working girl.

Peter I think was from Holland and Chris was a Thai citizen though he was half Burmese.

Met Cowboy a few times. Very tall, thin American black fellow in cowboy hat and boots. Funny thing was, was that once Soi Cowboy filled up with bars, his was not very successful. He tried opening Cowboy 2 bar, but that didn't really work out. Not long after that, he sold up and left.

About the only bar that is still operating on the present Soi Cowboy that was there in the early eighties is Tilac bar. Black & White is also close, though I think that opened in the mid to late eighties.

Another good bar from those halcyon days was Top-Cat bar. Does anyone remember it?

OK, here is one for ya, The Joker Club  :o  which was on top of a restaurant called the ??? Owned by Chris and Peter. I seem to recall it being at the top of Soi 19???

Happy days.

The Joker Club was over the Cock and Bull, and yes, it was just at the top of Soi 19. People used to go to the Cock and Bull in the afternoons to watch movies on a big screen whilst having a feed and a drink. It was strictly an afternoon hang-out, mostly for the oil-patch workers. Had a really nice waitress there called Toy who used to take good care of everyone. Sadly, when the Cock and Bull finally closed down, I ran into her in Soi Cowboy, now as a working girl.

Peter I think was from Holland and Chris was a Thai citizen though he was half Burmese.

Yeah, The Cock & Bull, thanks.

Peter is Swedish, now owns a hotel in Vientiane, comes down to BKK maybe twice a year.

Edited by HarryHacker

Happy days.

Yeah, The Cock & Bull, thanks.

Peter is Swedish, now owns a hotel in Vientiane, comes down to BKK maybe twice a year.

watch movies on a big screen whilst h....

Big 200 incher plasma with Arsenal v Tit onham every saturday PM opposite the bar that used to be where Robinsons now stands......sat dish .... :D in 1975...

• 6 months later...
Does anybody remember "Lorettas"?

One of Cowboy's ex wives used to own that one...

How many y'all remember Cowboy? :o

How many y'all remember Cowboy? :D
I do. :D

We had a few drinks together.

Going back to an old subject but was thinking about the night 2 weeks ago when i left Larrys (no scampy) I wandered along soi 24 to have a looksee at an old hangout called the new red hand cowboy bar.

Got an email suggesting that it ..N.R.h.C.b was the last one that Cowboy used to own before he left LOS.?

I was under the impression that he went bust with the ..think "square peg/Checkered board"..or something in Washington Sq.I got waylaid in the 22 bar before I got there ...NRHCb so didnt take it any further...just thinking....anyone?

Cant seem to get round a ALL of bangers gin joints the way I used to :D

Spent many an hour in the Cock and Bull. Bangers, mash and the videos during the day, then off to Cowboy for the night. That's if i didn't detour across the road to the 3 Roses and those other little bars there. :o

Off topic. PJ’s down soi 19 was clean and had ice cold beer. So sad when Pat and Joes daughter was murdered. Last I heard back in the mid 80's Joe was heading down to Singapore looking for oil work.

Kevin, the former owner of OLD CHINA HAND on Soi Cowboy remembers the '80s. His former place is now called "Sam's 2000".

http://www.corkscrew-balloon.com/04/11/2bkk/index.html#10a

Go back abit more folks , before it was Soi cowboy ,in 1964 there was the Broken arrow bar and guesthouse owned and run by Kamol and Sudsai who also had the Broken arrow bar on the Usaaf base in Korat, they looked after the british army contingent quite well back then, they also had family who ran Pesooks Pub in Pataya which at that time was the only bar in town with a fridge, :o nignoy

Nice little bit of info from bangkokeyes (with thanks)

Soi Gold Label became Soi Cowboy

The soi most people now know as " Soi Cowboy " is a lane running parallel to Sukhumvit Road from Soi 21 through to Soi 23.

Despite its ideal location, no night entertainment establishments were in operation there during the U.S. military R&R years (1965-1973).

Prior to the opening of the first bar on that soi, the single-shophouse Chitra Bar on Soi 23, had a side door opening on to it. And while the stray foreigner was warmly received into its darkened corners, the Chitra Bar was definitely a locals-only bar. For these reasons, this original Chitra Bar can’t literally be said to be the first bar on the Soi, but it did portend of things to come. Note: ‘Chitra’ would later open another bar ( Chitra’s ) in Soi Cowboy , but that would be some years after another bar had “pioneered” the Soi.

Early in 1975, about one year before the last of the residual U.S. forces left Thailand, the Soi's first bar opened.

This bar, the Gold Label , opened with very little fanfare.

Although the bar was designed, built and managed to international standards by a U.S. military retiree, Jim George (who still resides in Thailand), it still took several months of word-of-mouth advertising before it became known to the expatriate community.

The Gold Label was the “seminal bar” in every sense; aside from being the first bar on the Soi; it was the first bar aimed at expatriate custom; it was also the first double-shophouse wide bar, and it was also the first multi-story bar, and it was the first A-Go-Go and “Show” bar (later, upstairs), while downstairs, it remained a lounge.

But mainly, it was the bar that realized -and made others realize- that the Soi was an ideal location for a night entertainment area. The Gold Label enjoyed an approximate three-year run of popularity.

At first, only the first and second floors were used, but for a brief period the third floor was opened to accommodate the custom. The regular expatriate clientele treated it as if it were a best-kept secret - and for the most part, it was. It has since been replaced by several other bars, the latest being the Baccara Bluebird A-Go-Go .

During those early years the Gold Label was not only the first, but for a long time the only bar, so naturally enough, the soi was referred to as Soi Gold Label . :D

Incid r: the Old China Hand bar...we got one here in the smoke.

If anyone wants to check it out its in Clerkenwell,Islington (near where I work) :o

Theres also another one in "Wank-chai" Hong Kong but long time no been.... :D