Thailand Requests UAE To Closely Monitor Thaksin's Movement

webfact

Thailand requests UAE to closely monitor Thaksin's movement

BANGKOK: -- (TNA) - The Thai Ministry of of Foreign Affairs has asked the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to closely monitor the movements of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinwatra for three weeks

from the present moment to help determine whether he is using Dubai as a base from which to threaten Thailand's stability as a Bangkok court is set to rule Friday whether or not to seize his frozen

assets, Vice Minister for Foreign Affairs Panich Vikitsreth said Monday.

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions will rule February 26 whether to seize the assets gained from the sale of

telecom giant Shin Corp at Bt76.6 billion (US$2.3 billion), plus interest, on charges that the ex-premier had acquired his massive wealth through

corrupt and illegal practices.

Mr Panich told reporters after meeting with UAE ambassador to Thailand Mohammed Ali Ahmed Omran Al Shamsi for 40 minutes that he had requested

the envoy to coordinate with his government in order to closely monitor Mr Thaksin for three weeks whether he use the kingdom as a springboard to

cause instablilty in Thailand or cause security threat against Thailand's key figures.

The vice minister said he believed if there was any violence and it was found that Mr Thaksin was involved with such an incident, the UAE may consider expelling Mr Thaksin from its jurisdiction.

He added that the UAE had once expelled Mr Thaksin from the kingdom but he did not provide details of the incident.

The Supreme Court on Monday had issued guidelines for the verdict reading on February 26 that the media would be allowed into the courtroom only

two per news organisation.

Only audio of the judges reading the verdict, would be transmitted from the courtroom.

The authorities had stepped up security, no unauthorised people would be allowed to enter the court after 8pm of February 25 in order to clear the way for security personnel to inspect the courtroom.

Some 150 personnel of joint police and military forces would be deployed to ensure the security at and around the court while two check-points were

set up to monitor security.

As for the request that the UAE temporarily detain Mr Thaksin before extraditing him to serve his two-year jail term in Thailand for power abuse, Mr Panich said the Dubai authorities are considering the request.

It is considered a good sign that the UAE court has asked the Office of the Attorney-General to translate all documents related to the case into

Arabic, the vice minister said.

A Thai court in October 2008 sentenced Mr Thaksin in absentia to two years prison for abuse of power, for allowing his then wife to buy a plot of

prime Bangkok land at a below-the-market price in 2003 while he was a prime minister.

Mr Thaksin, who jumped the bail, reportedly spent most of his time in Dubai, UAE.

Mr Panich said his talk with the UAE ambassador also focussed on the embezzlement case involving Michael Bryan Smith, which could demonstrate

the good cooperation existing between Thailand and UAE on extradition.

Thailand's Criminal Court on February 18 ruled to extradite Mr Smith, 45, a British national, to face trial in UAE on fraud charges involving more

than US$150 million.

Mr Smith, a human resources manager of a Dubai-based company, was charged with falsifying documents and using false documents for unauthorised transfers of corporate funds to his own bank account in 2008. He then fled Dubai to Thailand.

Thailand previously sought the UAE's cooperation in arresting and returning former prime minister Thaksin to Thailand, the two countries

have not signed an extradition treaty, said the vice minister.

Mr Panich said Thailand and UAE had held talks over the extradition treaty during January 9-13 but could not reach the conclusion. Thailand had

proposed the fresh talks and UAE said they could be available for the next round of talks in May or June.

Even if Thailand and UAE are yet to sign the extradition treaty but Thailand's Extradition Act of B.E.2551 (2008) opens options for cooperation on reciprocal basis, he said, adding that any person found committing similar offences could be extradited.

However, Mr Panich conceded that the cases of Mr Thaksin and Mr Smith are different, so he could not say whether or not reciprocity can be applied. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-02-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Still on the payroll. Huh.

www.rablerousersRus.com

Well this is the international quid pro quo and

at least this Smith guy is wanted for serious dosh.

So the cases can be seen somewhat equivalently.

Seems the UAE is watching this closer that Dr. T. would like.

And no doubt some of his 'transmissions' are being monitored.

Seems all the Thaksin partisans are out in force to

sway our judgments surrounding this court judgment.

Still on the payroll. Huh.

www.rablerousersRus.com

Well this is the international quid pro quo and

at least this Smith guy is wanted for serious dosh.

So the cases can be seen somewhat equivalently.

Seems the UAE is watching this closer that Dr. T. would like.

And no doubt some of his 'transmissions' are being monitored.

Seems all the Thaksin partisans are out in force to

sway our judgments surrounding this court judgment.

No worries animatic they can never keep up with you and your team mates. :) I was thinking you had the day shift. :D

Surveillence Report.

27th February 2010

9:00 a.m.

Mr Thaksin went to ATM machine at the local Bank.

9:05 a.m.

Mr Thaksin seen banging his head repeatedly against the ATM machine.

:)

.......meanwhile onlookers were trying to establish which was the ATM and which was block head?

Surveillence Report.

27th February 2010

no need to worry about him..for sure another 1000 bank accounts with some money for hard times

Surveillence Report.

27th February 2010

no need to worry about him..for sure another 1000 bank accounts with some money for hard times

Well even if he loses his 76 billion, I for one would like to have his remaining bank balance.

Surveillence Report.

27th February 2010

Well even if he loses his 76 billion, I for one would like to have his remaining bank balance.

Thaksin may be able to purchase refuge in another state, but for Dubai to allow him to use them as a base to foment civil war is another matter. The Thai Govt. is appropriately putting down public markers.

Surveillence Report.

27th February 2010

Thaksin may be able to purchase refuge in another state, but for Dubai to allow him to use them as a base to foment civil war is another matter. The Thai Govt. is appropriately putting down public markers.

I don't think that he has to purchase refuge. He's been welcomed in several countries and given Diplomatic passports. He could have stayed in the UK but they insisted that he refrain from political activities - which is the usual condition - he refused to do so and cancelled his application for Political Asylum.

As to any country actually arresting him and sending him to Thailand I don't believe that there's much chance of that. In the Rachada Pisek land case the Thai Police and the Anti- Corruption Division stated the the auction was transparent and fair which is why Pojamon Shinawatra was found inocent and will most probably get her Thai baht Six Hundred Million back.

Thaksin was found guilty of breaking the law in that that the spouse of a Minister may not engage in business with a goverment agency. He was never accused of a criminal act unless you consider that to be one. There is no country on the planet that would deport him to Thailand to serve 2 years for that - and I doubt that it is covered by any Treaty that Thailand has with any other country.

He could have stayed in the UK but they insisted that he refrain from political activities - which is the usual condition - he refused to do so and cancelled his application for Political Asylum.

That's the funniest misstatement of the truth I've ever heard tossed up regarding the revocation of his UK visa.

well done

QOUTE

I don't think that he has to purchase refuge. He's been welcomed in several countries and given Diplomatic passports. He could have stayed in the UK but they insisted that he refrain from political activities - which is the usual condition - he refused to do so and cancelled his application for Political Asylum.

As to any country actually arresting him and sending him to Thailand I don't believe that there's much chance of that. In the Rachada Pisek land case the Thai Police and the Anti- Corruption Division stated the the auction was transparent and fair which is why Pojamon Shinawatra was found inocent and will most probably get her Thai baht Six Hundred Million back.

Thaksin was found guilty of breaking the law in that that the spouse of a Minister may not engage in business with a goverment agency. He was never accused of a criminal act unless you consider that to be one. There is no country on the planet that would deport him to Thailand to serve 2 years for that - and I doubt that it is covered by any Treaty that Thailand has with any other country.

UNQUOTE

Absolutely correct. You obviously keep abreast of ALL sources of information. Too many one sided and single sourced views on here sometimes.

caf

He could have stayed in the UK but they insisted that he refrain from political activities - which is the usual condition - he refused to do so and cancelled his application for Political Asylum.

That's the funniest misstatement of the truth I've ever heard tossed up regarding the revocation of his UK visa.

well done

termad is right. check your source, ifme

caf

well done

Obviously you don't read The Times or The Telegraph to name only two U.K. newspapers that reported on this matter.

well done

Obviously you don't read The Times or The Telegraph to name only two U.K. newspapers that reported on this matter.

Much better job of hiding your IP address ferwert! lol You've almost made it to 50 posts.

Most of the countries he has been welcomed to I don't ever want top visit in as a transit stop over.

Certainly Termad puts an interesting twist on truth being less strange than his fiction....

If you spent less time on posing as the Mark Twain of Nakhon Nowhere and more time in the real world you too could find time to read newspapers printed outside of Thailand.

well done

Much better job of hiding your IP address ferwert! lol You've almost made it to 50 posts.

I'm sure that your reply means something but what it is I don't know. Take a deep breath and have another go.