North Pattaya Vs. Jomtien

californiabeachboy

I have a question about the difference between living in North Pattaya and Jomtien Beach. I am a retired (50's) American and thinking of spending a few months each year in Thailand, and looking at the Pattaya area. I am coming over for a look in a couple of weeks, but I would like to get some information before going and get a hotel in the area that looks the best. We are all different, so a little more about what I am looking for:

1. Food, I am learning to cook Thai food and enjoy cooking, so the convenience of grocery stores is very important. Which area would have more in number and variety (both Asian and Western) of grocery stores.

2. Transport. I hope to go up to Bangkok for overnight trips on occasion. From reviewing this form it looks like North Pattaya has better connections up to Bangkok - is that right?

3. Workouts. I like to run on the beach, and I guess Jomtien is better for that. Are there air-con gyms in either places. Would I get killed in either place if I rode my bike?

4. Any difference in character of the two places - i.e. is one generally nicer, newer etc.? I am looking for a studio apartment with a nice pool, and also within walking distance of the beach (I guess similar to View Talay in Jomtien), for around 20,000 baht. I am not a bar person so I want to avoid the heavy bar scene, but going out for live music (jazz, blues, rock'n roll) once in a while is nice.

Thanks for any help.

1. Food, I am learning to cook Thai food and enjoy cooking, so the convenience of grocery stores is very important. Which area would have more in number and variety (both Asian and Western) of grocery stores.

There are markets everywhere in which you can buy fresh vegetables, meats, prepared meals etc. Western Grocery stores are mostly located in central Pattaya but there is one relatively close to Jomtien.

2. Transport. I hope to go up to Bangkok for overnight trips on occasion. From reviewing this form it looks like North Pattaya has better connections up to Bangkok - is that right?

Not an issue.. wherever you live, it is a relatively short motorcycle taxi ride to the bus station.

3. Workouts. I like to run on the beach, and I guess Jomtien is better for that. Are there air-con gyms in either places. Would I get killed in either place if I rode my bike?

Traffic is heavy wherever you live. Jomtien is probably a little quieter. I have a friend who rides 70 - 80 K a day on his bike. I can't really speak to gyms, as the condo comples where I live has two pools and two workout areas. The beach is probably better for running in Jomtien, especially if you run early.

4. Any difference in character of the two places - i.e. is one generally nicer, newer etc.? I am looking for a studio apartment with a nice pool, and also within walking distance of the beach (I guess similar to View Talay in Jomtien), for around 20,000 baht. I am not a bar person so I want to avoid the heavy bar scene, but going out for live music (jazz, blues, rock'n roll) once in a while is nice.

Jomtien is a more family oriented QUIET area. There are still areas with bars and fun, but not the frenetic pace of Pattaya and walking street. You should be able to find a very nice place anywhere for 20,000. I own my condo, but when I was looking and renting for a month, I paid 10,000 for a room that was about as big as a large hotel room and had cooking facilities etc. I have lived in Jomtien for two years and really like it. Part of that is the complex I live in.. Well managed, clean, reasonably priced fees etc. PM me if you want any other information. I also have a friend who does property management and could hook you up with a good rental.

Micheal

IMO based on your needs - North Pattaya, close to the beach is much quieter, the problem with Jomtien now is the constant traffic noise & pollution droning along the beach road, weekends border on the insane when the Bangkok crowd arrive.

If by "North Pattaya" you mean the Wongamat Beach area (Naklua Soi 18), it is by far a better choice for living than Jomtien. The post by rmichaeld is completely wrong in its assessment of Jomtien as a "family oriented more quiet place". Nothing could be farther from the truth. Even if compared to Beach Road 15 to 20 blocks north of Walking Street, I would rate Jomtien and that area of Pattaya a toss up. Both are to be avoided for long term living. Jomtien is a sea of beach umbrellas, heavy traffic, endless touts, and mediocre tourist restaurants (with a few hard to find exceptions). Wongamat is much more quiet, peaceful and civilized, but with that comes less convenience for shopping (still not difficult -- there is a good "international" food store at Dolphin Circle and Big C is not far away) and other activities such as a sports club. With a small motorbike, the convenience issue is solved. Both have their rough edges, but, hey, "TIT".

i would not at all stay close to any beach down there !

better take a place oposite shukumvit ... and get a good deal on a motorcycle.

you problably can rent (long term) a bike and a small house for the same price as renting a Condo/Appartment in the city itself.

much more quiet, relaxed and no "hey you ... where you going?" :)

Not commenting directly on Jomtien as I do not live there, but just one phrase is enough to turn me off going to/from Jomtien i.e. the never ending saga of Thappraya Road! Haha.

I live in North Pattaya close to Wongamat so perhaps my experience may help:

1. Food, I am learning to cook Thai food and enjoy cooking, so the convenience of grocery stores is very important. Which area would have more in number and variety (both Asian and Western) of grocery stores. There is the fantastic Naklua Market nearby, Best Supermarket is a short car ride away as is Tesco Lotus. There also seems to be smaller markets cropping up from time to time, the latest one on Naklua Soi 14 which has most Thai greens.

2. Transport. I hope to go up to Bangkok for overnight trips on occasion. From reviewing this form it looks like North Pattaya has better connections up to Bangkok - is that right? The bus station is on North Pattaya Road so perhaps it is a tad more convenient for us on the north side.

3. Workouts. I like to run on the beach, and I guess Jomtien is better for that. Are there air-con gyms in either places. Would I get killed in either place if I rode my bike? I walk every morning or evening to Wongamat Beach. Granted much shorter stretch than Jomtien, so this is supplemented by walking entire length of Wongamat from one end to the other then returning on the road closest and parrallel to the beach (Soi Wongamat or Soi 18 I think)...it's rather quiet in the early mornings. If you want more, try all the little Sois like 12, 14, 16 and the one near Dusit where it is very green/leafy and quiet. I see a distant neighbor take off on his bike on weekend mornings, don't know where he rides to though.

4. Any difference in character of the two places - i.e. is one generally nicer, newer etc.? I am looking for a studio apartment with a nice pool, and also within walking distance of the beach (I guess similar to View Talay in Jomtien), for around 20,000 baht. I am not a bar person so I want to avoid the heavy bar scene, but going out for live music (jazz, blues, rock'n roll) once in a while is nice. There are thankfully NO NOISY BARS (yet) near where I live. At the moment there is a lot of construction going on, so who knows what the "character" would be at the end of it all. Currently, there are pockets of quiet areas, houses and some condos. I may be wrong but it appears to me the condo density (and hence perhaps the population) is lower in Wongamat/Naklua area than Jomtien. Again, this may all change when all the construction is completed. I have seen apartments advertised at your budget in the area eg TW Wongamat Tower...but I am merely conveying info as I know nothing about them other than the location is close to beach.

I hope above is helpful.

Flaming post and one mild reply deleted, please read the following rules.

4) Not to flame fellow members.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

There are pretty obvious demographic differences which do influence the flavor of the places. Naklua is much more German. Jomtien is much more Russian (especially in high season) and gay (year round). Most serious cooks in Jomtien go into Pattaya to shop for western food. There are local Thai food markets here for the Thai staples, so if you cooking mostly Thai you can do most of your food shopping in Jomtien. The Foodmart supermarket here is a major league rip off compared to alternatives like Friendship on Pattaya Tai or Foodland on Pattaya Klang. It is true due to construction parts of Jomtien are very dusty these days.

Edited by Jingthing

If by "North Pattaya" you mean the Wongamat Beach area (Naklua Soi 18), it is by far a better choice for living than Jomtien. The post by rmichaeld is completely wrong in its assessment of Jomtien as a "family oriented more quiet place". Nothing could be farther from the truth. Even if compared to Beach Road 15 to 20 blocks north of Walking Street, I would rate Jomtien and that area of Pattaya a toss up. Both are to be avoided for long term living. Jomtien is a sea of beach umbrellas, heavy traffic, endless touts, and mediocre tourist restaurants (with a few hard to find exceptions). Wongamat is much more quiet, peaceful and civilized, but with that comes less convenience for shopping (still not difficult -- there is a good "international" food store at Dolphin Circle and Big C is not far away) and other activities such as a sports club. With a small motorbike, the convenience issue is solved. Both have their rough edges, but, hey, "TIT".

And why is my assesment of Jomtien "completely wrong"? I own a condo in Jomtien Beach Condos. It is an excellently run complex with great management, very clean, shops and many convieniences. I have lived and worked in Pattaya for over two years. I have been very happy here amidst the mix of families, and friendly expats. If you don't live here, then you are ill informed to pass judgement on my assessment.

And why is my assesment of Jomtien "completely wrong"?

i thnk this is more a matter of taste as a matter of transportation and/or location.

so both location probably just fine .. where one like this one and the other ones like another one.

my opinion falls also to Naklua (but it may mainly because iam german) :)

and the connection to the city is alot better (due the fact of the never ending contruction on the connecting roads Jomtien/Pattaya.

but this are all time based fact .. may change rapidly .. so it cant be a real issue or point to decide.

on the other side .. naklua have on the end quite some bars and entertainment places .. but the very beginning is still very much Thai-style ..

so its gonna take a very long time until things are change much there.

naklua deliveres quite some contrast, where jomtien is just jomtien :D

but well .. on the very end of the jomtien beach road is the best seafood place to affordable prices in 100km radius ... so each one have its points.

as on the beginning ... its more a matter of taste and the luck to get into the right condominum building or house ..

my two pence Naklua is more user friendly than Jomtien, and access to Pattaya a lot easier. Jomtien can be busy at weekends with the Thai crowd, different events that are organised, and of course the influx of visitors in high season !! There has been a lot of development in Naklua recently, but mostly high end condo's. The quieter sub-soi's tend to be devoid of bars etc.....

I dont understand why the op is not just renting for some time in both areas. If i read all answers here, there are people liking Naklua and other liking Jomtien. Each part has is own strength, I did live in both parts and there are things I like in each part. Give it 3 to 4 month in each part then decide by yourself.

I dont understand why the op is not just renting for some time in both areas. If i read all answers here, there are people liking Naklua and other liking Jomtien. Each part has is own strength, I did live in both parts and there are things I like in each part. Give it 3 to 4 month in each part then decide by yourself.

North pattaya would be great for you if you speak German.

North pattaya would be great for you if you speak German.

Nonsense. Another instant expert strikes.

PS. Don't talk about the war.

Edited by NanLaew

There seems to be quite differing views here. My thoughts;

Wong Amat etc - high density, narrow streets, main road is over-run with beer bars and low end tourists. Good proximity to shops and nightlife. Overall not a better living enviroment unless you 100% new to Pattaya.

Jomtien; Noth Jomtien is not nice and I would agree with the negative comments above. South Jomtien is the best beach front area in Pattaya. For those that have not lived there, they can't be expecetd to know, but it is low density, quiter, no beer bars (unfortunately) and has few tourists in comparison.

Jomtien is long - Wong Amata is short. It is hard to compare the two. For South Jomtien I am referring to the 'after' La Royale zone.

I don't like the drive in to town, at least 15 mins, but I love being out of town and not in Wong Amat or Naklua - the difference is massive. Unfortunately there are very very few options in South Jomtien but they do exist and the wind sailing club up to the Pinnacle Hotel is the general area I am referring to.

Thanks to all for your thoughts - it has helped me focus. From what I have heard, the idea of riding a motorbike in Thailand scares me almost as much as driving the freeways here in California - best to avoid whenever possible, so I am going to try to find a place where I can do it all using my two legs while they function. I think I will hire a taxi and explore both places.

Thanks again.

Thanks to all for your thoughts - it has helped me focus. From what I have heard, the idea of riding a motorbike in Thailand scares me almost as much as driving the freeways here in California - best to avoid whenever possible, so I am going to try to find a place where I can do it all using my two legs while they function. I think I will hire a taxi and explore both places.

Thanks again.

If you like to walk to do your shopping and mainly walk to go everywhere, I am sorry then you can't live in Jomtien. You need a car or a motorcycle to live in Jomtien, since all the big shopping malls, big supermarkets are located in Pattaya. You can walk to these places from NaKlua or just take a 10baht bahtbus for 5 min. As a prior poster said, a lot of people go to Pattaya to do their shopping.

Thanks again.

If you like to walk to do your shopping and mainly walk to go everywhere, I am sorry then you can't live in Jomtien. You need a car or a motorcycle to live in Jomtien, since all the big shopping malls, big supermarkets are located in Pattaya. You can walk to these places from NaKlua or just take a 10baht bahtbus for 5 min. As a prior poster said, a lot of people go to Pattaya to do their shopping.

Wow, didnt know there are no Bahtbus anymore in Jomtien going to Pattaya. Not that I would complain....

As you are not going to Bangkok everyday I guess it's a lot more convenient to live in Jomtien for daily transportation to shops/markets, and it's the best way to avoid Pattaya which is in my opinion useless except for fitness and Centreal shopping mall. Jomtien a lot better to jog and bike near the beach.

Someone who lives at North Pattaya/naklua will have to go more often to overcrowded central Pattaya when someone living in Jomtien is also near quieter supermarkets and markets, making going to Pattaya almost useless.

Without wanting to insult anyone, but if you are planning on living here full time and can't afford a car, then don't bother coming. You will be be seen as a low quality foreigner and so many of the benefits would be lost.

Without wanting to insult anyone, but if you are planning on living here full time and can't afford a car, then don't bother coming. You will be be seen as a low quality foreigner and so many of the benefits would be lost.

That is total rubbish. Many who don't have cars don't want to deal with driving in urban Thailand in any way. My disgust at reading your anti-green rabid stereotypes of those without vehicles is extreme. While it may be true that some prostitutes may also make idiotic assumptions about your "quality" who the frick cares?@#$@#$#

Another point WALKING is good EXERCISE.

BTW, I personally ENJOY riding the baht buses. They are a great slice of life. Now of course I and many others would LOVE to see real Bangkok style taxi meters come to town. But that's another story and more about the transport mafia here that the quality of people based on their vehicle status. One of the great things about this are is that you CAN quite easily live here without a private vehicle. That's a great thing, but it could be much better with real taxi meters.

One other point for the Thai cooks. The Thai style local market down Soi 5 near Jomtien immigration is EXCELLENT for fruits and vegetables. I personally don't like to buy meat with flies all over it though. By shopping there you reduce your need to transport bulkly things from stores further out. BTW, I have been pleased to realize that the prices the vendors there give foreigners are quite fair and in line with the local Thai prices.

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, I personally ENJOY riding the baht buses. They are a great slice of life. Now of course I and many others would LOVE to see real Bangkok style taxi meters come to town. But that's another story and more about the transport mafia here that the quality of people based on their vehicle status. One of the great things about this are is that you CAN quite easily live here without a private vehicle. That's a great thing, but it could be much better with real taxi meters.

Some People ENJOY the Castle or Secret Motion, both easyer to reach from Jomtien. So if you like baht buses this may be an importent aspect too.....

Each to their own. Walking in Wongamat / Naklua is not good quality exercise, with unruly motorbikes, lack of pavements etc, sorry but this does not constitute real exercise.

If you have a medical emergency and need to get to a hospital in pattaya I would not want to be at the mercy of flagging and negotiating a fare with a baht bus. A large volume of shopping at Lotus, again rather you than me.

I am sorry if my views disgust you Jingjing, but I would rather there were a few more obstacles to all and sundry living here on a shoestring budget.

Each to their own. Walking in Wongamat / Naklua is not good quality exercise, with unruly motorbikes, lack of pavements etc, sorry but this does not constitute real exercise.

If you have a medical emergency and need to get to a hospital in pattaya I would not want to be at the mercy of flagging and negotiating a fare with a baht bus. A large volume of shopping at Lotus, again rather you than me.

I am sorry if my views disgust you Jingjing, but I would rather there were a few more obstacles to all and sundry living here on a shoestring budget.

You don't get it dear. Many people DO NOT WANT to own any kind of vehicle, if they can afford it or not. Tesco? No problem at all! There are charter trucks waiting at all those places if you've got a big load to haul. True a rip off compared to Bangkok. Nothings perfect.

BTW, your entire political line that is it actually desirable for everyone to have a car is something out of the 1950's mentality. What is desirable are urban areas where you absolutely do NOT need to own any kind of private vehicle. Those are the best places in the world, and they attract the elites of the world. For examples, Amsterdam, New York City, and San Francisco. I remain disgusted, perhaps disgusting to you, but still disgusted.

Edited by Jingthing

You don't get it dear. Many people DO NOT WANT to own any kind of vehicle, if they can afford it or not. Tesco? No problem at all! There are charter trucks waiting at all those places if you've got a big load to haul. True a rip off compared to Bangkok. Nothings perfect.

BTW, your entire political line that is it actually desirable for everyone to have a car is something out of the 1950's mentality. What is desirable are urban areas where you absolutely do NOT need to own any kind of private vehicle. Those are the best places in the world, and they attract the elites of the world. For examples, Amsterdam, New York City, and San Francisco. I remain disgusted, perhaps disgusting to you, but still disgusted.

Horses for courses.

I can't abide getting the bus and in fact after 20 years here I never have. (baht bus - walking street excluded)

Without wanting to be too obnoxious my niggling preference is that the stream of new arrivals that can't afford a car, rather than choose not to purchase a car, may be deterred from living here if the north pattaya area was less pedestrian friendly.

I strongly advocate a more meaningful walking street and improved pattaya enviroment and would far rather see less of the tatty local forms of public transport and the type of migrant local worker entering the area that this necessitates.

i am not anti green issues - my issue is about the social demograhics that are encouraged by the prevailing system.