Thai Court Tells Public To Be Calm : Thaksin Verdict

webfact

THAKSIN'S D-DAY

Be calm, court tells public

By The Nation

People reminded that 9 judges -- set to deliver verdict in Thaksin case -- are not party to the conflict

BANGKOK: -- The courtroom where the verdict on Thaksin Shinawatra's frozen Bt76 billion will be delivered was open for media viewing yesterday, with the solemnity of the empty space serving to reinforce the Thai judiciary's call for calm ahead of the big day.

Against a backdrop of unhealthy rumours about the nine judges and threats of untoward incidents, the Supreme Court sought to remind the public it was not party to the conflict and that the ruling would be handed down in accordance with the evidence and without bias.

"We'd like to remind the public that judges do not play any part in the conflict and it's not in our interests to dictate the outcome one way or another," said Anurak Sanga-areekul, secretary of the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders.

"The judges' duty is to make a ruling based on evidence and facts, without prejudice."

Such a statement ahead of a major judgement day was rare if not unprecedented. The Supreme Court, however, has become a subject of intense speculation and rumours. Strong denials have been made of media reports that judges sitting on the Bt76-billion-assets trial against fugitive Thaksin have been exposed to offers of Bt5-billion bribes.

Asked what would be done to counter such claims, Anurak said: "That's beyond me."

Security has been stepped up inside the Supreme Court compound, with a heavy presence of guards and barriers. Yesterday's media tour was meant to educate the public on the origins and roles of the Criminal Division for Political Office Holders.

"The media are carriers of knowledge, so we hope the public learns from you how the courts work," said Thanan Wankowit, head of the court's 10-year-old section.

The senior court officials declined to discuss security measures for the nine judges who will hand down their historic ruling on Friday. However, selection of the particular date was made with concern about its effect on the stock market. When the court finishes reading the ruling, the market will have already closed for a two-day weekend break plus a national holiday on Monday. The nine judges will meet early on Friday, and each will present the panel with his own opinion on every key point. Central rulings on each of the key points will be made at this meeting, culminating in the last verdict on whether all or part of the Bt76 billion will be seized.

The key points include the legitimacy of those who were appointed to investigate Thaksin after the September 19, 2006 coup, as the defence's main argument sought to undermine the investigators' credibility and legal status. The next main point the judges will exchange their opinions on concerns whether Thaksin still controlled his business empire through the use of nominees, including his children.

A guilty verdict on this second point would spell much future trouble for Thaksin regardless of whether the court ruled to seize his assets.

The next point to be decided at the judges' meeting will be crucial to whether the frozen assets will be permanently seized. If the judges find Thaksin guilty of concealing his ownership of his business empire while serving as prime minister, they will have to rule on whether his empire reaped undue benefits from his government's policies.

The judges' meeting will be held in absolute secret. After the verdict is reached, only two persons with unblemished records - an assistant judge and a Supreme Court judge - will be assigned the task of typing the ruling. This process will be protected by unrevealed security measures.

The nine judges will enter the courtroom in the early afternoon. Reading of the verdict will begin with the charges against Thaksin, followed by his defence and evidence cited by both the plaintiffs and the accused. It is expected to be one of the longest readings of a verdict ever.

It remains uncertain whether Thaksin's ex-wife, Pojaman na Pombejra and their children will attend the reading of the court verdict. Despite initial reports they will be present, Thaksin's close aide, Noppadon Pattama, yesterday said he was "not sure" if they would.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-23

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Few, if anyone, will uncorking Dom Perignon over this.

This is aimed at those marginal few that think he is an icon of democratic processes.

A transparent rebranding of the Red Cause.

And those mercnatilist and mercenaries who are not in the gravy train line,

for being too close to him during his reign as financial despot and CEO of Thailand Inc.

Thai Rip-off Thai would have been a good party name for him.

Few, if anyone, will uncorking Dom Perignon over this.

This is aimed at those marginal few that think he is an icon of democratic processes.

A transparent rebranding of the Red Cause.

And those mercnatilist and mercenaries who are not in the gravy train line,

for being too close to him during his reign as financial despot and CEO of Thailand Inc.

Thai Rip-off Thai would have been a good party name for him.

Red Cause = Thaksin Cause

Didn't hear of any demonstrations at the airport. Remember that wearing a yellow shirt on Monday to honour His Majesty the King is normal.

Oh ok sorry about that I thought red/yellow were for the political parties in Thailand that explains it then. Thanks.

Just wondering how the verdict is going to effect the exchange rate if it leads to unrest.

This is not a difficult question to answer..... Unrest means that the Baht loses value.

Ummm historically this would not be a very accurate statement.

It seems that some people may be hoping for violence because they might benefit themselves in the exchange rate? Sad!

It remains uncertain whether Thaksin's ex-wife, Pojaman na Pombejra and their children will attend the reading of the court verdict. Despite initial reports they will be present, Thaksin's close aide, Noppadon Pattama, yesterday said he was "not sure" if they would.

I can see two reasons for them to slip out of the country. Firstly as a repeat of their cowardly behaviour prior to songkhran, and secondly, in case they are named in any criminal charges that may result from this trial. Get the whole rotten family in self imposed exile.

Just wondering how the verdict is going to effect the exchange rate if it leads to unrest.

This is not a difficult question to answer..... Unrest means that the Baht loses value.

It seems that some people may be hoping for violence because they might benefit themselves in the exchange rate? Sad!

As already said, this is a good question and there are many possibilities. It could also be that some people see a guilty verdict as a sign of a fairly quick return to stability and growt with capable people at the helm.

As already said, this is a good question and there are many possibilities. It could also be that some people see a guilty verdict as a sign of a fairly quick return to stability and growt with capable people at the helm.

You mean the same people, as ever, at the helm! :)

You mean the same people, as ever, at the helm! :)

Pardon me ... do you think Abhisit and people like Korn are the "same people as ever"?

Of course they aren't but they don't exactly run the country do they? Not when they can be sacked anytime by a non elected elite with the help of their military friends . I rest my case.

Have they employed services of Sifu Robert McInness?

Lol. He is a little..er...detained..at the moment. :)

Can someone explain to me a former Thai police officer accumulate 2.2Billion USD? I thought he did all domestic business? All this with AIS? This is a guy that in 1982 was 50 million baht in debt! If I were Thai I would hate this guy! (I do anyway) Give Thai's their money back you thieving bastard!

You mean the same people, as ever, at the helm! :D

Pardon me ... do you think Abhisit and people like Korn are the "same people as ever"?

Of course they aren't but they don't exactly run the country do they? Not when they can be sacked anytime by a non elected elite with the help of their military friends . I rest my case.

Hey Ferwert's back! Party time!!!! :)

LOL.

Is there a record form most Nicks used in a month?

Style is substance form is argument.

LOL.

Is there a record form most Nicks used in a month?

Style is substance form is argument.

From what I have heard the Australian dollar will collaspe to about 24.7 thai baht. Good news means I can buy the Aussie dollar sit on it for 3 months until it reaches 30+ again and sell at a profit

Isn't the most likely decision that the court decides he should have paid tax on the sale of Shincorp. Assesses the taxable amount, and adds fines for attempting to avoid tax, then fees for late payment... - do all that, and a good 60-70% of Thaksin's money goes to the government, and everyone on the Red side realises that he didn't pay any tax on his sale of Shincorp. (I'm shocked at how few people realised he sold his company for $2bn, and paid no tax on the sale...).

And even the reddest of the reds will have a hard time trying to tell people it was correct that he should pay less tax on the sale than the average person pays to transfer a house deed between family members.

The situation is not helped by alarmist and shoddy reporting from ThaiVisa:

"Heads up Thailand residents!

IMPORTANT!

Many Embassies in Thailand have warned their citizens about possible violence before Thaksin’s court sentencing this Friday and possible security problems the following weeks.

ThaiVisa covers the breaking news to provide you with up to date information for your interest and safety.

As a valued ThaiVisa member I now invite you to subscribe to our Breaking News SMS service."

This indicates that Thaksin is facing a court sentence when the court is only ruling on how much of his assets should be seized and and also that a verdict has already been reached. The latter is probably true but shows disrespect to the court and the whole communication is a disservice to the country.