Sorry?

onnut

I live at Phuket and double parking happens a lot at the airport.

I have an easy solution for this.

When I park I make sure that the rear of the car is sticking out of the row of cars.

I have a big car so that is not so difficult, just don't drive all the way into the parking spot.

When another person wants to park behind the parked cars he will mostly not park behind my car as the rear of the car is sticking out.

This also works most of the time in other parking places.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it pretty amusing that the biggest problem people seem to have is the fact the other driver does not apologize. As if that changes anything? Come on people, you are living in Asia; such politeness to strangers is just not something that is ingrained such as in the west. Doesn’t make it wrong, just different.

The fact that someone would park and leave the car in gear shows how little thought Asians generally give to people not in their immediate circle. Fact of life, live with it or go around with the farang paranoia chip on your shoulder, but don’t expect an apology to make all better.

I think your analysis is closest to what is really happening here.

First, if farangs think that the discourtesy is primarily "aimed" at them, they're simply wrong. Because of this thread, the past two days when I went out shopping and dining I decided to more closely observe what I see as discourtesy by Thais. It was everywhere, and it wasn't aimed at any group...just everyone...and it wasn't just the Thais, it was also the Japanese. I saw it with drivers toward each other, drivers versus pedestrians, women with shopping carts, women stopping at the base of the escalator to fidget with their cell phones, people letting doors slam in other people's faces, people walking directly in front of others, and so forth.

And the key is -- as you said -- "how little thought Asians generally give to people not in their immediate circle". Well, actually, I'll adjust just a tad -- how little awareness Asians generally give to people not in their immediate circle." The reason I say that is because it's often not even a thought. Yesterday, several times I watched motorcyclists pull right out into traffic without even looking. I watched a woman in the supermarket swing her cart around and smash right into another woman...hard. She didn't even look first. I'm walking down the sidewalk and people aren't looking at all at where they're going and bump right into me...it wasn't that they ignored me, they didn't even look, didn't even see me.

You also imply (by saying it's "just different") that Americans (in my case) have another whole different set of rude behaviors that here are unacceptable. I've yet to see a Thai or Japanese person insult someone by mooning them. Or yelling out in public "F--- you, you m----- f------ b------." Or routinely give someone the finger. Types of behavior I see all too often in the States.

And that brings me to another of your points in which I think we're in agreement -- meaningless apologies. Americans are very talented at meaningless apologies...particularly those given to not sincerely apologize, but to get what the person wants. As a former school principal (now retired) I can't tell you how I used to want to vomit at the parent who would say to his or her son, "Frankie, give Mr. Teacher a sincere apology," where what they were really thinking was, "Frankie, give Mr. Teacher a sincere apology even though we don't really give a crap, but maybe then they won't suspend you."

I've heard farang here say, "I just don't understand it. Sometimes Thais are so polite and other times they're so impolite." You hit it on the head when you mentioned their "immediate circle". Make any kind of connection and the behavior almost always changes. There are the obvious connections -- being a relative or friend, for example. But then there are the other usually temporary connections -- being a customer, for example. Or often just looking someone directly in the eyes. Walk down the sidewalk and when the motorcycle taxi driver is heading toward you, don't jump out of the way...look directly at them. Two things almost always happen -- they look down and away and they divert their course or stop and let you pass with a courteous (also fake) smile. Be in a traffic circle and look directly at the other driver (if they're not behind tinted glass), and they'll almost always smile and motion for you to go ahead...otherwise, if there's not that brief connection it's dog eat dog.

Courtesy and rudeness are cultural things, and each culture seems to have its own set of rules...as you said, just different.

Phil Connors for President of Thai Visa!!!!

yes, there indifference is irritating. A guy looking for his gun because you asked him to apologise might be considered worse.

My best take on this would be, depending on how often you use that facility with your car, Take a tyre iron to the window. Move the car and don't rush back to the same spot.

letting the tyres down before they move could back fire. I hear a spark plug is very good for quietly "opening" a window...

I choose to drive an SUV with a bull bar, so no telling how I might get out of that blocked in space. I always reverse into a space so its easier to get out anyway.. guess that applies doubly to this scenario.

Gotta be some more creative ways to <deleted> over these impudent oafs...

Most of the parking problems are because Thai cities were not designed for vehicles larger than motorcycles in the first place. Blocking traffic is an every day occurance because transport trucks have to deliver their goods. Thais who never had a vehicle larger than a scooter now have cars. They just naturally think they can park them the same places where they used to park their scooters. It doesn't even dawn on them that they might be inconveniencing others. Time means nothing to most Thais... until they are TAUGHT that there are consequences for being late or inconveniencing others. It is a mindset that will take eons to change... if ever. It's like all the crazy drivers and riders who do the most stupid, dangerous things on a regular basis, with no concept of the consequences.

Phil Connors for President of Thai Visa!!!!

yes, there indifference is irritating. A guy looking for his gun because you asked him to apologise might be considered worse.

My best take on this would be, depending on how often you use that facility with your car, Take a tyre iron to the window. Move the car and don't rush back to the same spot.

letting the tyres down before they move could back fire. I hear a spark plug is very good for quietly "opening" a window...

I choose to drive an SUV with a bull bar, so no telling how I might get out of that blocked in space. I always reverse into a space so its easier to get out anyway.. guess that applies doubly to this scenario.

Gotta be some more creative ways to <deleted> over these impudent oafs...

Clear Araldite glue smeared into a lock works wonders, the neighbour by me took ages for her husband to drill thru his lock once when we had a problem with them, it was funny because his wife kept shouting at him saying " I told you not to use the top lock" Apparently they only used to use one of the door locks after they went out SLAMMING their door ech time and waking everyone up in the building. I walk past their room now and still see the battle scars. Dunno how that happened?? :)

There are signs around town at some of the police boxes which say;

"Winai jarajorn sathorn winai chaat วินยจราจรสะท้อนวินยชาติ" "Traffic discipline reflects the discipline of the nation"

Never a truer word was written in Thailand.

Some truly pathetic responses here.

Glue the locks, destroy the engine, smash the windows, puncture or let air out of tires, mango in the exhaust? Really? Are we children? Grade school bullies? Ridiculous.

YES your right its ridiculous, they should think before parking like, this well said.

Edited by yabaaaa

I'd guess that he probably WAS mortified, though more at the loss of face than for being so inconsiderate. He couldn't look you in the eye, much less say sorry, because that would only acknowledge his loss of face.

In india, thers a common practice solution to this common problem. Gift the guy with at least one flat tyre. Although, I have rarely come across thais who dont know how to apologise.

Depending on where the parking block is perpetrated, various "retributions" I have been told about or witnessed include -

If the car is outside on a hot day - run a tube of superglue along the wiper blades where they contact the windscreen, then smear an egg onto the hot glass - it will "fry" and turn opaque. The offending driver's first reaction upon getting into his car will be to use the window washer and wipers. The soapy water from the washer will then make it doubly difficult to remove the egg with a tissue or piece of paper (no-one has ice-scrapers in their car in a hot country). When they eventually get the egg off, they then will take the car to a repair shop to get the wiper motor fixed - if, IF, the mechanic is savvy, they'll suss the glued wiper problem before changing the motor, and query the owner where, when, and why it happened, possibly leading to some awareness in the offending driver. If using this method, be sure to observe their return from a safe distance without being identifiable.

If in a car park and you have your own trolley jack - also keep a couple of small pieces of wood with nails hammered through. If the car park attendants are too lazy to move the car for you (using the car park's trolley jack) then do it on your own, and place the nail pads under the wheels before lowering the jack. It should be easy enough to do this clandestinely as you're "looking" under the offending vehicle at the jacking point. Most cars have one spare wheel, but not two. Therefore be sure to do both of them. This works even better if you can somehow manouvre the offender into a regular parking space on the other side of the aisle, with the punctured tyres towards the inside of the parking space.

Learning from American culture - simply jack the car up onto blocks, remove the wheels and place them in the four corners of the parking lot - might only work in unattended parking places.

From an incident witnessed many years ago in the UK - if the car is small and there's a heavy fork lift truck operating nearby - explain your problem to the fork lift driver and tip them to place the car somewhere inaccessible - like on the flat roof of a single-story building (I saw this done at an RAF Officers Mess immediately prior to the annual summer ball - the owner had forgotten the temporary no-parking order, and was taught a lesson).

Returning to easier to achieve normal remedies - visit your local printing shop and have them print multi-lingual, culturally adapted, message stickers about A4 size - a variation of the parking ticket theme, but with a litany of parade ground, drill sergeant expletives and insults in the fine print at the bottom. Ensure the sticker type is the "crackle" type that only comes off in very small chips, not one continuous sheet, and has "non-removable" adhesive - place these (A4 size preferably) on the windscreen on the driver's side, at the half way point between rear view mirror and door post, one third of the way down from the roof line - i.e. right in the driver's line of sight. It'll take them an hour or two to remove the sticker - hot water, solvent, petrol etc wont shift it, it has to be scraped off. This allows them time to reflect on the selfishness of their action.

Childish actions, but fun -

- the "just married" method - tie a string of tin cans to the underside of the car - will make them wonder for weeks what the hel_l it was all about, and give them a little bit of mental irritation even if they never understand what it was about. Obviously easiest achieved if it's outside your home rather than in a parking lot - effectiveness increases if you do it continuously to regular offenders (like neighbours).

- a bit of string and a cardboard cut out padlock needed - "padlock" their door mirror to the nearest lamp post or whatever - be sure to write "no-parking" or a suitable message on the "padlock".

If they like blocking your gate - print (in Thai) a notice advising that parking in front of the gate costs B 500 per hour, and that it's only B 50 for farangs - you will never have a problem again, guaranteed !!! (yes, it worked for me in two different cities). You can create a variation of this for your car wind screen in parking lots - the "Doctor on Emergency call-out" theme apparently works in making the car park staff keep your space clear.

Foggy

There's only an thin layer of glass between you and putting that car in neutral yourself (for all the pretend "vigilantes" on here). J

Glad I have a driver and don't have to deal with this kind of silliness though.

:)

Even if you break the window and gain entry to the car dont you still need the key to move the gear from park to neutral? At least that's how it works in our two Honda's.

I like your way of thinking, foggy bottom. They are funny, non-damaging, inventive and probably effective. Even if they AREN'T effective it will give you some satisfaction in giving the twit a lesson. Of course, if it's a Thai, then he won't even realize he did something to inconveniece someone else.

There's only an thin layer of glass between you and putting that car in neutral yourself (for all the pretend "vigilantes" on here). J

Even if you break the window and gain entry to the car dont you still need the key to move the gear from park to neutral? At least that's how it works in our two Honda's.

Any key that fits the slot will do it.

For a lot of cars, yes. For a lot of cars, no.

:D

Happens to me all the time when i park at Phuket ariport overnight. Come back and want to drvie away but cant casue someone has blocked me in, Then they have to go find the guy ( or lady) come back and never ever have they said sorry or anything. What can u do?

If u did it and they saw it was a farang they would problay beat you like the tuk tuk drives do.

Edited by phuketrichard

I hate the double parked cars, but all the shopping centers have car jacks to move them. I think the guard was just lazy in your case. Whenever someone double parks blocking me, forcing me to move their car, I always spit a big lugie on the drivers window.

Having a camera in your pocket can help motivate some people. If you take out that camera and make sure to BE SEEN to be taking shots of the offender's vehicle and the whole scenario, particularly things like get down on one knee for a close-up of the number plate and bluff tactics like that. You don't even need batteries in the camera, but it's the thought that counts. People will see what it looks like you're doing and shape up their act for the camera.

<deleted> are you talking about!

Of course, if it's a Thai, then he won't even realize he did something to inconvenience someone else.

What do you mean? Do the cars which are parked correctly actually belong to someone who maybe wants to leave soon? Wow, who could have imagined that?

If u did it and they saw it was a farang they would problay beat you like the tuk tuk drives do.

Nah, that would never happen, especially since most folks are only using their imagination and wouldn't actually do most of the James Bond/Johnny English type stuff suggested so far.

Would make for an amusing 30 second news clip though.... "apparently said tourist (insert passport page graphic) was in the parking lot of... and for some reason decided to beat himself repeated in the head with a lead pipe, crow bar, and large traffic cone, all found nearby until losing consciousness... a variety of items were also found in the immediate vicinity: a tube of super glue, a can of brake fluid, a few high powered magnets, and several raw eggs. Police are currently calling it a sexual misadventure case...."

Happens to me all the time when i park at Phuket ariport overnight. Come back and want to drvie away but cant casue someone has blocked me in, Then they have to go find the guy ( or lady) come back and never ever have they said sorry or anything. What can u do?

I don't have any problems any more at Phuket airport.

Park in the last few rows ( not the last one where the busses are ).

When i park there i make sure that the car is not parked all they way into the parking space so the end sticks out a but.

In this way they don't have enough space to park a car behind you and they will find a other space where it is easier for them to park behind.

If they like blocking your gate - print (in Thai) a notice advising that parking in front of the gate costs B 500 per hour, and that it's only B 50 for farangs - you will never have a problem again, guaranteed !!! (yes, it worked for me in two different cities).

Love it! I can see their bewildered expressions already. Farangs charged less than....no.....can't be! How wrong!

I like your way of thinking, foggy bottom. They are funny, non-damaging, inventive and probably effective. Even if they AREN'T effective it will give you some satisfaction in giving the twit a lesson. Of course, if it's a Thai, then he won't even realize he did something to inconveniece someone else.

Superglue on a windscreen is far from non-destructive. Try casually putting a flyer daubed with superglue on a windscreen. Not that I would of course. :)

I'd think the American solution would work well in Thailand as well. If someone blocks you in and leaves the car in gear, the lot attendants call a tow truck and have it towed. Owner of the car in the US ends up paying $180-250 to get their car back. Tow company keeps most of it, and gives the rest to whoever owns the lot.

I'm surprised something like this isn't the norm is Thai with the possibility to generate revenue for both parties.

Doable but troublesome (when you tow someone who shouldn't be towed). Perhaps a few years of random violence, shootings, etc... would probably do as well to create an "untowable" membership club for people higher up on the hierarchy. To avoid inconvenience and to continue to annoy the "have I got a better system for you" emasculated/resentful tourist masses.

I'm going to mount my video camera onto the top of my motorcycle helmet and ride around town at rush hour. I want to show my kids and friends back home just how crazy it is here at certain times. I'm fortunate that I can work at my own leisure and change my daily schedule any way I want. I don't have to worry about being anywhere at a specific time... unless I'm trying to catch a plane somewhere. That allows me the freedom to not get up tight by people who block whole roads just to buy some snacks at the 7-11, or have a beer in a pub while others fume at trying to get around the offending vehicle... Mai pben rai.