Thai Dogs Vs Farang Rights. What Comes First?

backsoon

If any Dog as got a high pray / play drive which any Dog can have a stick would make it worst as it will be a game that the dog would like to win , Also if you show any fear or the Dog picks up you are fearful it will go for you first, Learn about Dogs then act or teach owners !!!!

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dogs in a pack, esp. at night are dangerous. If possible, strike out before they form a pack. Do not let a dog at the beach approach you, unless you feel sure you can disperse a pack. At night, never go on the beach without a good stick. Your belt can be a good weapon, but keep your pants up! I have lived in Kathmandu and one of the first things you learn is, when you have to walk home after dark, always carry a few stones. The dogs will understand your message.

Thai see dogs different. Where I live, a farmdog who makes a mistake (steals milk, bites a cow or kills a chicken) gets a free ride to Cambodia, where they are served as a delicatesse. At least that is what the man who takes them, tells us. I hope he does not deliver them to the next sausage factory! In exchange, the farmer gets a small trinket of about 10 THB.

For farang, a dog is like a friend. I wished I could have one in Thailand. For Thai people, esp in the village and at the farms, dogs are a nuisance with some advantages, they will warn when strangers come and maybe keep thieves out. Since they bark most of the night and start howling when a pickup- shop with loudspeaker arrives (at 5 a.m.!) they are not very efficient as guards. Most of the dogs I see in the village do not belong to a person, they usually roam around one spot. It took the ones near my house about 3 months to accept me. They get leftovers here and there and eat from the garbage bins. Especially when they bite a person, they belong to nobody.

There is one exception: dogs are still used as cow dogs here. They are clever, serious and hard workers. They have a good relationship with the man who takes care of the cows and they share the food. They are taken well care off.

Of course there are many Thai people who take good care of their dogs, but that is more a “town thing”.

I do not like the way some people here deal with their pets, they see them as a fashion gadget, not as a friend.

OK, I'll repeat it -

"Its incredibly unusual for Thai dogs to attack someone (even in a pack).

They are normally v gentle and cautious about people.

Get some pepper spray and keep it in your pocket when out walking. A quick burst of pepper spray near them will frighten them away if you are unfortunate enough to find the odd aggressive dog."

The number of posters who are advocating poison is v frightening. Not only does it show how sick some people are (believing that if anything annoys them in the slightest it should be killed) - but I met a woman (and her dog) where the dog had been poisoned by someone out to get the rats..... there was nothing that could be done to save the much loved pet.

The number of posters who are advocating poison is v frightening.

What is frightening is that some people can defend the fact that having soi dogs is no problem, even good actually.

For them and for us.

Soi dogs that have to search for food in bins, have no vaccine or medical care and on average live a very miserable life.

Do you really love dogs, Fanatic? :)

The number of posters who are advocating poison is v frightening.

What is frightening is that some people can defend the fact that having soi dogs is no problem, even good actually.

For them and for us.

Soi dogs that have to search for food in bins, have no vaccine or medical care and on average live a very miserable life.

Do you really love dogs, Fanatic? :)

You are SO deliberately missing the point. I never said that soi dogs are not a problem.

Soi dogs are a problem in so far as much that they are living miserable lives. STERILISATION is the solution, and Soi Dogs Org are doing the best they can to sterilise the stray dogs.

First and foremost make sure that you don't miss the remaining 4 rabies shots. If the dogs have owners, which they likely have at least they are taken care of by someone in that area, they are responsible of the dogs behavior and damage done by them.

Yes, as someone mentioned, it is true that dogs bite people with strange behavior/characters more often than others.

Actually, I would have not been able to count the number of dogs if I would have been in a situation like the OP. I just would have thought of how to keep at bay those nearest to me.

My dogs just bark at people they dont know or who act scared. I let them walk free in the village without me a couple of times a day.

So, you've 'gone native' enough to contribute to the dog problem in Thailand. Do you think it's cool that your dogs 'bark at people they don't know or who act scared?'

What are you, just a bump on a log redneck who lets his dogs cause mischief around the village, and when you're around the house, you get a kick out of watching your dogs harass passers by? You're part of the problem, blockhead.

I live at the edge of a village, near a dead end dirt road. Lovely site, except for one thing: each neighbor has a pack of dogs, and (surprise!), the neighbors don't have a clue or inclination to control them. A light sleeper like me is is woken up about four times every night, 365 days/year. Plus there are daily noise and shitting and trash raiding problems - same as affect every square Km in Thailand. If any folks visit me, they soon find that they can't walk up or down the road, because packs of shitty little dogs will threaten them. Dog problems are an integral part of Thailand.

Incidentally, there's a Burmese town I often visit. I take my bicycle and cruise around aimlessly. In cumulative (roughly) 500 hours there, I've rarely been harassed by a single dog, and never been threatened by a pack. Conversely, just 5 minutes bicycling in any Thai village will bring dog noise and other problems.

STERILISATION is the solution

Will you pay for it? :)

Yes, I put money into the Soi Dog boxes. Do you?

Sterilization is too sensible for Thailand. Won't happen.

I propose one family / one dog policy. Enforcable. Put a descendant of Vlad the Impaler in charge of the program.

Edited by brahmburgers

My dogs just bark at people they dont know or who act scared. I let them walk free in the village without me a couple of times a day.

So, you've 'gone native' enough to contribute to the dog problem in Thailand. Do you think it's cool that your dogs 'bark at people they don't know or who act scared?'

What are you, just a bump on a log redneck who lets his dogs cause mischief around the village, and when you're around the house, you get a kick out of watching your dogs harass passers by? You're part of the problem, blockhead.

I live at the edge of a village, near a dead end dirt road. Lovely site, except for one thing: each neighbor has a pack of dogs, and (surprise!), the neighbors don't have a clue or inclination to control them. A light sleeper like me is is woken up about four times every night, 365 days/year. Plus there are daily noise and shitting and trash raiding problems - same as affect every square Km in Thailand. If any folks visit me, they soon find that they can't walk up or down the road, because packs of shitty little dogs will threaten them. Dog problems are an integral part of Thailand.

Incidentally, there's a Burmese town I often visit. I take my bicycle and cruise around aimlessly. In cumulative (roughly) 500 hours there, I've rarely been harassed by a single dog, and never been threatened by a pack. Conversely, just 5 minutes bicycling in any Thai village will bring dog noise and other problems.

I agree with you to a certain extent - the problem dogs are those that have an owner!

The dogs are seen as guard-dogs - unfortunately often-times its taken too far, barking at anything and everything.

Soi dogs don't behave this way generally - they know better than to annoy people.....

Next time quote me well as you can read further up i will always go out when i hear them bark at someone. I make sure they don't bother people. Yes i have gone native and its not a bad thing at all. My dogs walk free but never when i am not around to check them. Once i leave they go into the house so they can't cause problems.

Anyway your an idiot who doesn't read well. My dogs love walking free and having fun with other dogs so i let them. I turn my music down or whatever to make sure i can hear them if they start barking. They usually dont go far just into the small park in front of my home.

And you should move if you don't like where you live. You cant expect your neighbors to change their ways for you.

Im sorry F1 but I completely disagree with you here. You say scaring them is enough... enough for what? To stop them from killing the next child that walks along when you are not there? Not sure how scaring them away one time is the answer to stopping them from maiming and killing? I don't get what you are saying at all. If a dog shows that kind of intent and visciousness, it needs to be put down asap. There is no reforming a dog.... It will attack again and again until it finally goes too far, then a Thai will put it down... too late.

Karatekas answer is to learn dogs and teach owners of dogs. First of all, there is no teaching going on in Thailand. None at all. And the dogs we are generally talking about have no owners. And why do I have to learn how to evade getting mauled by packs of roving dogs? The dogs should not be allowed to roam free in the city, period.

Im sorry F1 but I completely disagree with you here. You say scaring them is enough... enough for what? To stop them from killing the next child that walks along when you are not there? Not sure how scaring them away one time is the answer to stopping them from maiming and killing? I don't get what you are saying at all. If a dog shows that kind of intent and visciousness, it needs to be put down asap. There is no reforming a dog.... It will attack again and again until it finally goes too far, then a Thai will put it down... too late.

Karatekas answer is to learn dogs and teach owners of dogs. First of all, there is no teaching going on in Thailand. None at all. And the dogs we are generally talking about have no owners. And why do I have to learn how to evade getting mauled by packs of roving dogs? The dogs should not be allowed to roam free in the city, period.

Because as I've said before, soi dogs rarely cause problems - let alone maim or kill children!

How many children have been killed by soi dogs? I suspect the number is close to zero.

The dogs that cause problems have owners! I'm one of them. One of my dogs attacked a small dog where I live. She is no longer allowed out without a muzzle. Unfortunately the Thais aren't as responsible, they do nothing when their dog causes a nuisance.

The dog that bit me was after one of my dogs on a lead. I didn't have pepper spray at the time, so put myself in between the Lab/Retriever to protect my dogs - not thinking for a minute it would attack me! When it did (and it had a Thai owner), I was more suprised than angry!

Anyway, I bought a pepper spray and the next time we met the dog and he went for mine, I sprayed in front of him (not in his face - he needed to realise he couldn't get away with it - not be hurt). It worked, he avoids us now!

Have fun trying to change the law.. it will be a tad hard because as a farang you have no voting rights. Just accept the street dogs they are not much of a problem. I have never ever had a problem with dogs attacking me. Not in Bangkok and not where i live. Most dogs that i see here wander free have owners and they might bark at people but in our village nobody has been bitten by them.

If you start to use sticks on them or throw stones you might succeed or get bitten. If you just ignore them there i usually no problem. But if you try jogging or running where there are many dogs your asking for trouble.

These dogs regardless of thier nature if you touch them or threaten them then you will have to pay the owner for the stress you cause to the dog/s trust me My 2 yr old and myself were attacked by 6 dogs and I injured one to protect my son an it cost me 40,700 baht. The dog ran off with a bruise from a kick but it was also the stress on the owner I had to pay. Simply pick up your limbs and the remain of your children and smile....

Edited by moetownblues

These dogs regardless of thier nature if you touch them or threaten them then you will have to pay the owner for the stress you cause to the dog/s trust me My 2 yr old and myself were attacked by 6 dogs and I injured one to protect my son an it cost me 40,700 baht. The dog ran off with a bruise from a kick but it was also the stress on the owner I had to pay.

To be honest i don't believe this one bit sorry.

These dogs regardless of thier nature if you touch them or threaten them then you will have to pay the owner for the stress you cause to the dog/s trust me My 2 yr old and myself were attacked by 6 dogs and I injured one to protect my son an it cost me 40,700 baht. The dog ran off with a bruise from a kick but it was also the stress on the owner I had to pay.

Uh no, why on earth would you have to pay for kicking a dog that was in the middle of attacking you? And stress to the owner? Are you saying you actually went to court and this was the result? Or you got talked into it?

Sorry, I have to say again to those that think poisoning is acceptable - I met a farang woman at the vets with a staffie (I think). The dog looked fine and happy, but she'd taken him to the vets cos he'd been bleeding from the nose.

Turned out he'd been poisoned (by someone who had laid it down for the rats) and was going to die - there was nothing the vet could do.

As you can imagine the woman was distraught, she had to watch her inoffensive dog slowly bleed to death....

Please - think again before putting out poison.

Really??? I was pushing my young son on his 3 wheeled you know the ones with the long arm on the back to assist them. Past a house as we always did, a home owned by an english guy and his thai wife. Very nice guy actually and same for his wife. On this occassion they had gone England and her family had moved in with the dogs and chickens. We were doing our normal evening walk when these 6 dogs ran out of the house. I saw 4 or 5 guys sitting in the front yard just laughing as I picked up my son and started swinging his tricycle by the long arm at the back and kicking my feet. I actually struck one of the dogs with the tricycle and it ran off yelping. I was bitten 3 times by theses dogs. Well we eventually made it home and the next thing we had 7 angry thais on our front door and my thai wife was not impressed. We live in a new estate. The police turned up and charged me and threatened to charge my wife with aggrevated cruety to an animal. The matter went to court and I have a 12 month mutiple entry type "O" visa (wife and son) and was advised if I wished to keep this visa then pay damages to the owner of the dog.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT UP TO YOU.

I've never been in this situation but I'd say forget about it. You say the dogs come from a building site - the woman may well work there and know the dogs but that doesn't mean that they're hers. And, in any case, people in Thailand often have different - looser, more relaxed - relationships with animals so ownership is pretty hard to establish. If I were you, I'd take my medicine and - if you want to do something about it - go back to the same spot but with a pick-axe handle this time. I'd deal with the dogs that way.

I think it is something to do with Buddhist religion. People do not like the stray dogs, never less they feed them sometimes so they continue to stick around but they become very dangerous at night when not many people are around and they become pack animal.

I carry a teaser with me I go out at night and have used it to scare them away already

Really??? I was pushing my young son on his 3 wheeled you know the ones with the long arm on the back to assist them. Past a house as we always did, a home owned by an english guy and his thai wife. Very nice guy actually and same for his wife. On this occassion they had gone England and her family had moved in with the dogs and chickens. We were doing our normal evening walk when these 6 dogs ran out of the house. I saw 4 or 5 guys sitting in the front yard just laughing as I picked up my son and started swinging his tricycle by the long arm at the back and kicking my feet. I actually struck one of the dogs with the tricycle and it ran off yelping. I was bitten 3 times by theses dogs. Well we eventually made it home and the next thing we had 7 angry thais on our front door and my thai wife was not impressed. We live in a new estate. The police turned up and charged me and threatened to charge my wife with aggrevated cruety to an animal. The matter went to court and I have a 12 month mutiple entry type "O" visa (wife and son) and was advised if I wished to keep this visa then pay damages to the owner of the dog.

I choose not to believe it, even Thais are not that bias to their own. Plus the amount of damages is crazy.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the OP. Pretty dam_n scary event.

But, before I go condemning Thailand for the overall situation, I have to remind people how many maulings by violent dogs there are in the U.S.

The pepper spray comment was interesting to me, because I do a lot of walking around Bangkok and elsewhere when I travel upcountry. Is pepper spray here legal? And, if it is, where does one buy it?

Try any camping supplies shop, mine came from one on Sukhumvit, but cannot pinpoint the exact location now.

It was 8 years ago... I still have it, very tiny aerosol... probably doesn't work now. :)

I believe you, but it is an unbelievable story!

When I was bitten by a dog belonging to a Thai, the Thai buggered off v quickly (not that I would have dreamed of asking for money).

Is your wife Thai? If she's not I can understand the locals 'trying it on' - if she is, then sorry, but they're in it together.

Otherwise, there's more to the story than you're saying......

The police aren't interested in 'dog' stories unless something else is going on.....

I choose not to believe it, even Thais are not that bias to their own. Plus the amount of damages is crazy.

I am Farang (Australian) not one of thier own. My son is mixed and my wife is Thai (mixed) but still thai. I love my Family and love Thailand. Maybe I have different objectives to you. Basically what I am saying is Thai dogs have rights over farangs. This is the topic of this thread.

Edited by moetownblues