Champagne Prices At Airport

cardew

Its a lot cheaper in the UK.

A bottle of Moet was about B1950 (about 8-9-months ago), thats about £38 for a standard 75cc bottle.

I remember paying £30 for a bottle in All Bar One in Leicester square in London.

So, while I'm not sure of the prices in the UK Duty free or Off license... it has to be cheaper.. I'm guessing about half price.

As its a present and it has to be Champagne then fair enough, however, for other times Villa Supermarkets out here sell a very drinkable Prosecco for about B560 (£11) which is a great alternative especially when eating some of the spicier food out here which would destroy the taste of a good Champagne.

Its a lot cheaper in the UK.

A bottle of Moet was about B1950 (about 8-9-months ago), thats about £38 for a standard 75cc bottle.

I remember paying £30 for a bottle in All Bar One in Leicester square in London.

So, while I'm not sure of the prices in the UK Duty free or Off license... it has to be cheaper.. I'm guessing about half price.

As its a present and it has to be Champagne then fair enough, however, for other times Villa Supermarkets out here sell a very drinkable Prosecco for about B560 (£11) which is a great alternative especially when eating some of the spicier food out here which would destroy the taste of a good Champagne.

Good advice. Just wondering if you can bring two bottles into Thailand? I thought the limit was one for wine.

Yes you are limited to 1 litre of any alcohol into Thailand though you might get away with two bottles if you are stopped.

The last bottle I purchased at Duty Free on arrival was 1,600 Baht, about £32, a bottle, it's about 3,500 in town.

I thought Moet Chandon was 1400-1500B retail at Tesco in Bangkok.

Never seen it that price, you could be correct of course but I have seen it at 3,500B.

There could be 100+ different Moet Chandon champagnes. You could be talking a more expensive "model".

The most common one that I bought in Tokyo for 4,600Yen retail, was at that same price at Lotus liquer dept, 1600B.

Yes you are limited to 1 litre of any alcohol into Thailand though you might get away with two bottles if you are stopped.

The last bottle I purchased at Duty Free on arrival was 1,600 Baht, about £32, a bottle, it's about 3,500 in town.

No way! It's 3200-3500 thb anywhere (in Thailand).

Edited by ivowatson

I sometimes look at wine prices at King Power Thieves before leaving Thailand and fall just short of having a heart attack.

I usually buy Piper Hiedsieck Rose Brut at my local supermarket before getting into a plane to Bangkok, but did not have the time to do so last time. So I visited the Charles De Gaulle duty free shop and found my preferred "duty free" champagne at a much higher price than in the local supermarket.

Moral? Don't buy in so called "Duty Free" shops :)

I've seen odd batches of Louis Roederer Brut turning up in supermarkets here and there during the past several months for just over 2300 baht, which is of course still high but not as exhorbitant as most Thai champange prices. Absolutely purchase before entry. The fact that there's a one bottle limit comes as a surprise; I've hauled in two at a time routinely for years.

I noticed the bog standard Moet Chandon at 3995B in Villa today, maybe Tesco is a tad cheaper, but I doubt if it's as cheap as you recall.

I am going into Tesco's tommorrow and if I see it at that price I will let you know - after I have stocked up of course.

Sainbury's in the UK stock it at £30, 1500B.

The fact that there's a one bottle limit comes as a surprise; I've hauled in two at a time routinely for years.

The limit for all liquor is 1 litre, so one bottle is under the limit and two bottles slightly over, I suspect two bottles wouldn't cause a problem, it never has with me either.

Edited by theoldgit