Mental Health Department Advise Public On Thaksin Asset Case

webfact

Don't get too steamed up over assets case, doctors advise

By Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Mental Health Department came out yesterday to soothe the growing public jitters over the Thaksin assets case, urging everyone to remain calm and collected and not let their emotions get away from them.

"We need to trust the system and believe we can ride out this political crisis despite the different political views," said Dr Chatree Bancheun, the department's director-general.

He urged everybody to seek a balanced treatment, and act rationally. Highly sensitive people should avoid listening to or following news bulletins on the situation on the verdict day as they could develop stress.

The media could help by covering the event using facts, not sensational means.

"The media should not deliver any news reports that might lead to conflict in society. This will help people to reduce stress caused by political tension," he said.

Discussions about political issues should also not create friction.

"The different opinions should not start a conflict among your family and friends," he said.

Dr Sujarit Suvancheep, an adviser to the department, said nowadays society is full of conflict, which leads to arguments and the destruction of property.

People lose their temper when they can't get what they want or expect, and they release their anger irrationally. Once that develops, it leads to symptoms like migraines, backaches, stomach-aches, high blood pressure and heart disease.

"If you don't want to be under stress, just stop being mad," he said.

If people could see through their rage, it would be easy for them to properly control their emotions.

Relaxation would also help people emit endorphins - a pharmacological activity that works as a "natural pain reliever". This would help people refresh their minds.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-24

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I like this country tooooooooooooo much !!! Want to stay cool ? Just make same nothing happened...

Does anyone get the feeling that the Government are scared about the results of what they have done?

Would someone please remind them that in the real world you have to be big boys and girls and remember there are consequences for your actions. This government have been obsessed about trying to hurt one individual (who I am sure most people in the world couldnt care less about) and are now scared about all that bad karma coming back to hit them in the face which it probably will do. The Thai words 'SOM NAM NAR :) 'come to mind!

If "anxiety and mental conditions" are a concern, that is a new wrinkle.

One must keep everything in perspective. Most political stuff can be contextualized, and evaluated accordingly.

All of this frenzy surrounding Thaksin's financial court stuff is mostly created and fanned by the 'Ammart', aided and abetted by their media friends.

Quoting an important person, "State run TV and radio is being used by the Govt, and by extension the 'Ammart', to destroy political opponents"

All these articles raising every kind of 'red herring' they can think of, including the mental health thing this morning, is an indication of this concerted attack on political opponents.

To quote this important person further, "Thai people's ears and eyes are being closed more tightly than in Communist countries" by this media onslaught.

Makes me fearful of even the remotest possibility of conducting fair elections in the future, where the media is thoroughly compromised as in this Financial court thing. Controlling both the media and the vote counters by one side of a political divide is not healthy for democratic principles.

I like this country tooooooooooooo much !!! Want to stay cool ? Just make same nothing happened...

Does anyone get the feeling that the Government are scared about the results of what they have done?

Would someone please remind them that in the real world you have to be big boys and girls and remember there are consequences for your actions. This government have been obsessed about trying to hurt one individual (who I am sure most people in the world couldnt care less about) and are now scared about all that bad karma coming back to hit them in the face which it probably will do. The Thai words 'SOM NAM NAR :) 'come to mind!

what has this government done against Thaksin???

In my understanding, this could be the worlds first. Health department issuing advise on mental health to public on a regular political crisis?

Then again, from whatever I have understood of Thai society, it is very appropriate. Thailand has to still learn the fine aspects of what the world understands as 'Democracy'. Such events do tend to stress the Thai society. It's just that they are not used to confrontation. Facing reality is not known to them. Saving one's face I suppose. :)

Perhaps the mental health department could spare some advice for Thaksin, who appears to be slippping further from reality daily?

Must admit, that was my first thought when I saw the thread title. I'm sure they could provide some advice and medication for him, and possibly suitable clothing in the form of a jacket that ties up at the back.

what has this government done against Thaksin???

If you really dont know take a taxi ride around Bangkok and ask the driver, he will give you a long reply but my short reply is they have tried to get revenge by taking his money out of spite. You, me and them arent going to see one satang of it so why should we or they care?It will hurt a lot of innocent people though and they will pay for the consequences, that is worth caring about.

Why doesn't the gov't just come out and say that they've already made their decision? Will it surprise anyone as to the verdict? All this emotional steadying and readying to try and prepare for "what might happen."

Indeed, it already has, at least in my humble opinion. I hope the Gov't takes the money and pays off some debts of the Chaolay or gives it to the newly created Humane Society of Bangkok. The governments are going to the dogs all over the world anyway.

Or create an educational center in Klong Toey. They could do all these and still have a billion left.