Travellers Cheques

kp86

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct room so feel free to shuffle me elsewhere!

Are travellers cheques still widely accepted in Thai banks? Is it safe to change them up in the banks around Koh San road and also is there a maximum limit fo how much you can change up, e.g. would a travellers cheque for £700 be too large amount?

Thanks all

My goodness, do they still use them ??.

I havnt bought travellers cheques since Prem was PM.

Just never liked the rates.

The difference in rates are not so bad compared to using an ATM or just plain old cash, especially for smaller amounts. And soon, at least for those of is based in the US, the rates will be very good compared to using cards in ATMs as those exchange rates are slated to be increased. Also a good idea to have some TCs for those instances where the ATMs are not working in your neck of the woods.

For longer stays and for the true ex-pat, opening up a local bank account and wiring over funds is probably the best option.

My goodness, do they still use them ??.

I havnt bought travellers cheques since Prem was PM.

Just never liked the rates.

The difference in rates are not so bad compared to using an ATM or just plain old cash, especially for smaller amounts. And soon, at least for those of is based in the US, the rates will be very good compared to using cards in ATMs as those exchange rates are slated to be increased. Also a good idea to have some TCs for those instances where the ATMs are not working in your neck of the woods.

For longer stays and for the true ex-pat, opening up a local bank account and wiring over funds is probably the best option.

The US banks are starting to catch up with Europe when it comes to fees on ATM transactions overseas. My banks just started chaging $5.00 fee pluse a 1% currency conversion fee and add the 150thb fee on most Thai atms. Covertinbg a $100.00 on an ATM will now cost me around 9 to 10 dollars while if I buy travel checks and cash a $100 check it will cost me 33 thbm about 1 dollar plus I can get them free from my banks, Debit card will be used on for emergencies, I'm using travel checks or cash .

• 1 year later...

I use them a lot I often cash $10,000 at a time never a problem. I get them with out extra cost at my bank for being a preferred customer and for exchange get a better rate. Costs 33 baht to cash so on a $500 tc that is about a dollar charge so with the higher rate for tc I receive more baht per dollar than I would with cash.

Good to keep some around in case you lose your atm card.