Thailand On Edge As Court Rules On Thaksin Billions

webfact

Court ruled Thaksin abused authority to help Shin Corp over new satellite

The high court ruled that the decision to adjust satellite contractual provisions resulted in helping Shin Corp and ThaiCom to launch a new satellite without having to bid for a new concession.

By a majority decision, the jugdes also ruled that the ThaiCom deal was favourable to Shin Corp.

-- The Natiom

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just hope that a new begining for Thailand can take place after this case.

Best post of the day! Bring peace for this great country!

Very doubtfull peace will come out of this , hard to see this being the end.

No matter what the decision there would be dissension. I would hope for peace, but do not see it occurring any time soon.

One thing about this judgement is the time and trouble taken to purposely explain in detail every aspect of the case.

This is normal. They did the same for the dissolutions. It is amazing how they do this without bathroom breaks.

Just maybe ... this is more important than "bathroom breaks".

No matter what the decision there would be dissension. I would hope for peace, but do not see it occurring any time soon.

A good dose of common sense needs to be injected into the population. If things go on as usual and peace and stability are not achieved Thailand will become a failed state run by criminals both local and otherwise.

UPDATE

Court says coup order to appoint AEC legally sanctioned

Third legal issue is whether the coup announcement to form the AEC was legally sanctioned.

The high court ruled that the coup-issued law is classified as an equivalent to an act of Parliament, hence it is legally binding.

How democratic if a High Court rules that a coup-issued law is legal and equal to an act of Parliament..... :)

A Soap Opera it is.

LaoPo

How else could they cook the goose. A 76 billion baht goose i might add. Kangaroos and Goose. This is looking like the animal channel
I had a pretty firm confidence in today's Court's ruling but when I read this "amazing" rule I'm not very optimistic anymore; far from it.

LaoPo

OK, so the AEC was "legally sanctioned", according to this ruling.

So why were they disbanded? Was that legal?

If they had a list of the top most "unusually wealthy" people in Thailand, then they should have been allowed to keep going down the list, after getting Thaksin.

It wouldn't have taken them long to get to the very people who created the AEC.

One thing about this judgement is the time and trouble taken to purposely explain in detail every aspect of the case.

This is normal. They did the same for the dissolutions. It is amazing how they do this without bathroom breaks.

I have the felling they speak now faster than on the beginning.....

That,s because they ar now reaching the parts that do not need further detail and are self explanatory to the unbiased.

The bit about the satelite fade outs and the insurance claims he made and got paid for...30 million US dollars per Sat. breakdown.

If only we could see his face, as in the land case with his wife during the conclusions and closing statements

Me thinks he may well be starting to regret not walking away from it all and has bitten off far more than he can chew.....

As said before, it reminds me of certain other leaders and one who not to long ago, destroyed himself and his family, very similar in many ways IMHO

re getting out while the going was good.

Make no wonder he didn,t want to serve the slap on the wrist 2 years, now all this is unfolding re his abuse of power and his co conspiritors / ilk, must also be worrying to say the least re what has been uncovered, implication wise.

Guess Cambodia will have a few extra exiles / crooks, to look forward to.

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

I have the felling they speak now faster than on the beginning.....

That,s because they ar now reaching the parts that do not need further detail and are self explanatory to the unbiased.

The bit about the satelite fade outs and the insurance claims he made and got paid for...30 million US dollars per Sat. breakdown.

If only we could see his face, as in the land case with his wife during the conclusions and closing statements

Me thinks he may well be starting to regret not walking away from it all and has bitten off far more than he can chew.....

As said before, it reminds me of certain other leaders and one who not to long ago, destroyed himself and his family, very similar in many ways IMHO

Make no wonder he didn,t want to serve the slap on the wrist 2 years, now all this is unfolding re his abuse of power and his co conspiritors / ilk, must also be worrying to say the least re what has been uncovered, implication wise.

Guess Cambodia will have a few extra exiles / crooks, to look forward to.

marshbags :)

I think he regret that he did transfer the money outside before they froze it....

Hopefully this man who was elected by the people of Thailand, and then was chased out without being defeated in an election, will return.

Change the tune would ya. That one has been done ad finitum.

Just stating a fact, thats all.

Now where is that red shirt........

court now moves to the last issue EXIM bank loan.

-- The Nation

LAST issue! .....

Now we get to hear how much (if any) of the money is taken by the Kingdom.

After all of this I am thinking they actually WILL take it all. (I kinda doubted they would in the beginning!)

Feb 26, 2010

7:20 pm: Thaksin now stands to lose his Bt76 billion assets from state confiscation as judged so far by the Supreme Court's rulings, which are still proceeding in earnest for six hours and a half now. What is more interesting is that he might be sued in other criminal charges and be forced to settle other damages.

Korn Chatikavanij, the finance minister, is getting ready to take delivery of Thaksin's frozen money into the state coffers. He said the state might try to secure more money kept in the overseas accounts from Thaksin.

Natthawut Saikua, a Red Shirt leader, warned the government not to show elation with the court victory against Thaksin. "It is not a victory for anybody. The Red Shirt's victory is to bring down the ammat system," he said.

##########################################

Thaksin is ruled 9-0 votes to have concealed his assets

6:00 PM: The Supreme Court's key rulings:

1. Does the Supreme Court have the legitimacy to deliberate this Bt76 billion asset seizure case as opposed by the defendants?

The nine-member panel of Supreme Court judges voted unanimously that the Court has the legitimacy to deliberate this case.

Voting result: 9-0

2. Does the Asset Examination Committee, formed by the coup makers, have the legitimacy to pursue the case against the defendants?

The judges voted "Yes". Moreover, the National Counter Corruption Commission aThe lso has the legitimacy to follow up the case as left over by the Asset Examination Committee after its expiration. Both were entitled by law to file this case.

3. Did Thaksin conceal his assets and used nominees as a cover-up?

The judges voted guilty verdict. Thaksin did hold shares in Shin Corp during his premiership through nominees. The defendant still had power to change directors in Shin Corp and control the company's policies. Thaksin and wife Pojaman Shinawatra did hold shares in Shin Corp.

4. Did the defendant cause damage to the state with his alleged alteration of the telecom concession fee to excise tax?

The judges voted guilty verdict. The defendant abused his power to cause damage to the state by more than Bt60 billion.

Voting result: Majority

5. Did Thaksin abuse his power to benefit AIS in the prepaid service?

The judges voted guilty verdict.

Voting result: Majoritiy

6. Did Thaksin abuse his power to amend AIS concession on the roaming service?

7. On failure to enforce satellite concession contract resulting in public damage of Bt20 billion and resulting in the benefits to Shin Corp and Thaicom.

Hopefully most will now see him for what he is - a clever, but in the end, common crook. Beginning to look like all but the most desperate and delusional (ie getting the biggest chunks of whats left of his money) will move on, as will the country. Hopefully, as the threat of violence disappears, elections can be held. Maybe a relatively clean politician will appear to represent the poor.

Mod's, any reason why the 'reader's stat's' have been removed at the base of every topic, or is it just my screen?

To ease server load, this is a busy thread :)

Moderator: What is the user load ?

It is how busy the website is with people commenting and updating

I am very aware what the definition is. I would like to know the number of users online at the present moment on this forum.

Well for sure not everyone will understand every element of the Supreme Court findings but people are not stupid, they will understand parts of it and they will get the flavour.

The village people can't understand why the government is entitled to Thaksin's money. They have no idea what is really going on here...totally brainwashed. It is an uphill battle to try and educate them. A bit like trying to get a Met's fan to say the Yankees are a good ball team!

Well for sure not everyone will understand every element of the Supreme Court findings but people are not stupid, they will understand parts of it and they will get the flavour.

The village people can't understand why the government is entitled to Thaksin's money. They have no idea what is really going on here...totally brainwashed. It is an uphill battle to try and educate them. A bit like trying to get a Met's fan to say the Yankees are a good ball team!

listening to court should do the trick....even with my poor Thai skills I do understand enough. And that not "the government" gets the money, instead Thailand (everyone) is getting it, should be also easy to understand.