Whats The Weirdest Thing Your Thai Wife Has Eaten ?

dmax

i actually dont mind my wife eating insects and chicken feet etc after all the thais have been brought up eating this sort of thing but its the weird concoctions like adding banana to fish and carrot soup for the baby yuk!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something my Mom likes to eat is squirrel brains. I have also heard of some asians eating monkey brains. Has anyone ever seen/ate this?

i remember seeing a video with people eating monkey brains, called Faces of Death, i think, truely gastly movie, the monkey was alive and taken to a dinning table with a hole in the center of it. The monkeys head was popped through the hole and then killed by a blow to the head, then was topped like a soft boiled egg, and the people proceeded to eat it.... :)

NZ banned this movie some time later

Agreed, eating your pup is quite weird.

I don't mind the insects, particularly the flying ants are quite tasty.

What really takes the biscuit is when they eat chicken feet :)

oh, me and the good lady love(chinese dim sum) chicken feet.

shes also loves to eat pigs ears and the nose.

yum love chicken feet, i can eat a whole lot of em

its a pity that there will be barnyards full of chicken amputees :D

I travelled to most parts of Asia and ate pretty weird things in the process.

Live fishes and sea cucumbers, and drunken prawns, being the weirdest.

But monkey brains?

No.

But well, I also like seeing movies.

Just that I see them as movies, not real life... :):D

i cant say whether Faces of death is real or not but The Cove is most definately real,

its up for an Oscar for Best documentary this year

Happened to me when I was living in Africa.

We wanted to have a barbecue with quite a few people during the weekend and bought a goat that was supposed to be slaughtered on Sunday.

Our mistake?

We bought the goat on Friday.

And on Sunday, we could not kill it anymore...

Not my wife, but myself last new year

Recipe for country style Steak Tartare (Thai Style)

- STIR raw bloody minced beef (laap) + assorted gut bits + red hot spices

- MIX marinade of 'soft green shit' (the partially digested grass from a freshly slaughtered cow)

- SPLASH of incredibly bitter fresh black bile (for that freshly puked taste we all love)

- ENJOY with friends over a cool glass of Chang beer.

YUM

was really enjoying it until I asked my pal why no other Thai dishes tasted like this... and he explained what the green flecks were.. and about the bile...

Edited by whiterussian

If one has been to places where there is NO 7/11 with Cheese and Strawberry Jaffles and MAMA Soup around the corner, even no Chaisri Noodle Shop or anything else in close reach, where from the Rice Harvest there will remain only ~ 60.000 Baht, or much less then this for the whole time, till the next harvest and children's school fees, clothing will have to be paid, a loan's interest been served, a car loan paid off... then one may understand the circumstances WHY people do eat "such things" many of us do consider weird - but it still, even cartilage, protein, same fat, calories to burn and keeps the people going!

That is the "miracle" this is all about,same with the 'stinky fish" since there used to be fish only when the paddy was flooded, there had to be a way to conserve the "precious" protein, hence....nobody remembers salted kipper, stockfish?

In countries we farangs come from, we have methods much more refined, but it's close enough... "rotten" milk products, stuffed guts (anyone knows what ends up in sausages?), pig head and knuckles are eaten too, it's only more hidden in processing, decorated, raw "cured" meats, smoked ham, tartare (minced beef)....raw egg in red wine (hair of the dog) !?

Edited by Samuian

I would like to know what is up with the unhatched chicks that you see still in the shell and almost ready to hatch. This is probably the only thing in the food market that truely repulses me. Does it really taste that good for them to do this?

:)

Have to agree on this one...I just cant get into this dish at all

• 2 months later...
The up-country family pet dog. Eating dog in itself isn't so bad, but the three year old dog you've raised from a puppy?

Maybe you have too much coffee really... Please tell me it is just a joke...

To eat puppy, eiwwww...I cannot accept that. :D

My weird eating....ummm....Muslim man, I guess... (I'm joking...just begin to think they are ummm..interesting.. :) )

By the way, seen a lot when went out buying Somtum in Suk 11, the Ant's eggs with spicy mixed seems so much popular, but to me it looked too disgusting..

I think my wife ate the weirdest thing when we came back to france to visit my family on holiday.

She drinks wine (and appreciate it: can now tell when it's crap, so no more cheap dinner at the restaurant)

She enjoys trying anything, even frogs, rabbit or veal.

She craves for cheese. I mean, the real men cheese, not gouda or cheddar. Although I read that cheese has naturally one of the highest content of MSG (this might explain that)

She couldn't try snail or raw oysters though... But I can't blame her... I feel really lucky to have found such an adaptable Thai Lady. I think most would agree that spending without complain 2 weeks in europe without eating one thai dish (or even anything spicy) is something like a record.

Slightly off topic, I know, but have some great fun with this....

On an up-country visit, my wife's nephew assured me that this dish was only slightly spicy. Wrong!! Fire hot!! He laughed till his sides were splitting...

A few months later, he visited us in Bangkok. I spooned a large lump of wasabi into my mouth, pretended to chew it when I had actually swallowed it whole. Invited him to try doing the same - assured him "aroy maak maak". I laughed till my sides were splitting...

Thais just cannot do wasabi.

Try it. Revenge is so sweet.

ps Wife loves laab moo with fresh uncooked pig's blood....disgusting!

Thais just cannot do wasabi.

Are you kidding?

My wife loves wasabi. She can eat the stuff with a spoon. Seriously.

I try to keep up with her. Just make sure to breathe in. One wrong breath and you're a goner.