Thaksin Asset Case: Bt46 Billion Will Be Seized Along With Interests

george

It was said that 76 billion were seized. Now 46 are to be retained. What happens to the remaining 30 billion? Are they to be returned to the man who took them from the thai people?

Frozen until calculation of interest rates is finished, that was the court ruling.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that someone in the Thai government makes a stipulation that for Thaksin to receive the funds the court has just agreed to return, that Thaksin must return to Thailand in person to receive them. This would force him to personally face all charges relating to the corruption charges including failing to return as directed by the court after the coup and subsequent court cases. It's only fair. :)

Lets not forget the interest, which will also be seized and will also be a large portion. Wonder how much that will be amount to, could also be a large sum.
Any idea when the criminal prosecutions will commence?
There is the issue of the defendant not being in Thailand, which is an impediment to a number of legal challenges, though it is possible to ask for special judicial approval for the case to commence.

Regards

He already received a 2 year sentence after being tried in abstention. Why not continue with the process so that there can finally be complete closure?

I am sure that after things calm down a bit poor old Mr Thaksin and his dependent family will still have enough money to enable them to buy a used Honda and enjoy a pizza twice a month.

It was amusing to see the red shirt women weeping on camera. I mean what did he do for them?

A good result. Stay tuned for next episode. :)

Comment form Thaksin: Thaksin says he should have listened to wife,children and not entered politics. Thaksin says he hopes he is the last victim.

Thaksin wears a black suit and black tie. Bt15 billion wealth acquired before Thaksin took office is a matter for consideration...

-- TAN Network/ The Nation 2010-02-26

Lets not forget the interest, which will also be seized and will also be a large portion. Wonder how much that will be amount to, could also be a large sum.
There is the issue of the defendant not being in Thailand, which is an impediment to a number of legal challenges, though it is possible to ask for special judicial approval for the case to commence.

Regards

He already received a 2 year sentence after being tried in abstention. Why not continue with the process so that there can finally be complete closure?

WRONG. He attended the court in person and fled [bailed to attend the opening of the Olympics] prior to the reading of the judgment in the case, hence he was 'sentenced in absentia'

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Regards

Thaksin showed up in court for this case AND the rachada land case ... he has not appeared for the rest. Once he answers the charges the cases can proceed normally with only his lawyers there to represent him.

It was said that 76 billion were seized. Now 46 are to be retained. What happens to the remaining 30 billion? Are they to be returned to the man who took them from the thai people?

See here:

The rest of the money will remain frozen pending calculations of interests, dividens, and settling of claims and all.

-The Nation-

The people from Bangkok Post went home before this outcome :)

Amazing.

you must be sleeping. Bangkokpost updates are far more regular on your phone than those yellow coloured comments of the nation. Amazing indeed.

I'm not talking about updates by phone (no thanks) but about their website, a big delay and second hand news only :D

# "If u are businessmen, think it through if you are tempted to enter politics"

# "Let me be the last victim"

# "Don't cause any trouble and give government a chance to pick on you".

# "You (red shirts) must fight peacefully, or our country will remain in the hands of ammat. Fight on. Don't give up until you get democracy"

# Thaksin wears a black suit and black tie.

# "Things move super fast when it involves cases against people like me"

# "Thai justice system is child play"

# "When democracy matures, there should be no more victims like me"

# "This is cruel politics"

# "I'm sorry kids, for causing trouble to our family", he said.

# Through D station, he said he's mourning his own stubbornness. (referring to refusal to heed his family's warnings against playing politics)

# Now, Thaksin reacting to the verdict..

---The Nation

Edited by Caliguy

Process-wise, does Thaksin have any rights to appeal the decision to any higher level of Thai court??? Or is this verdict the last stop on the judicial circuit???

Most certainly, if he has or can find any recourse whatsoever, it would seem most likely he will pursue it...

Not many people, especially Thaksin, are likely to willingly accept a verdict taking 46 billion baht out of their pockets...

P.S. - My question does not imply any support for the individual involved. I'm just hoping somewhere, somehow this can all be put behind the country for its own good and future. There has to be an end somewhere....

Comment form Thaksin: Thaksin says he should have listened to wife,children and not entered politics

-- TAN Network 2010-02-26

Priceless!

BTW, thanks for the excellent coverage George. Once again ThaiVisa was my source for up-to-date information.

I really hope that the government finds a way to distribute these funds back to the people they were taken from. It would go a long way to help the cause of staying in power :)

The people that the money was taken from were the competitors of AIS -- Dtac and True Corp. Nobody else. Thaksin used his power in office to ensure that his company AIS paid lower fees (and sometimes no fees) than AIS competitors. Dtac and True are the only beneficiaries of this.

Please note that Thaksin wasn't stealing money from state coffers. He was using his position as the man in charge of the country to bolster his business empire and his and his family's wealth -- at the expense of AIS's competitors.

Comment form Thaksin: Thaksin says he should have listened to wife,children and not entered politics. Thaksin says he hopes he is the last victim.

Thaksin wears a black suit and black tie. Bt15 billion wealth acquired before Thaksin took office is a matter for consideration...

-- TAN Network/ The Nation 2010-02-26

Watching his talk on television now- just looking at his body language and tone of voice , it is that of a broken man.

The people from Bangkok Post went home before this outcome :)

Amazing.

They heard there was a special on KFC somewhere...................... anyway good sturdy and strong decision made, one that will douse the Red Shirt flames and still keep pressure on Thaksin to return here and answer in person.

A good day for Thailand and the rule of law.

I sincerely hope this puts an end to this chapter in Thai history. The sooner all this is behind us the better. This country really needs to get it's act together. Congratulations Thailand, and good luck. Time to get your act together. enter integrity, exit the wizard of ooze :)