Massive 8.8 Magnitude Quake Rocks Chile; Tsunami warnings was issued

george

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has a warning been issued for the eastern seaboard/Gulf of Thailand?

The 1960 quake was 9.5, seven times more powerful than the 8.8 quake today.

you can't rely on the govt here to look into it since it happened in Peru and elsewhere for them and they're all busy counting Thaksin's dosh over and over again.

What's scary is that the longest queues in Hawaii are not at the supermarkets or gas stations, or even heading out of the coastal cities onto higher ground, but the longest queues are actually at McDonalds. No joke. It was on CNN a few moments ago.

Just called a friend who has a restaurant on Koh Samet, first he's heard about it.

Didn't know the earthquake had happened.

I think they need to be put on alert now.

According to AlJazeera news just now it states that all costal areas including Parts of thailand, Malaysia, should be aware of strong currents and waves in the next 24-48 hours ... They say there is a 100% chance we all will experience something.. What ever that means..

While I doubt that anything serious will hit Thailand (because the Philippines are right in the path in between), I'm also pretty sure that the Thai Tsunami Warning Center is closed for the weekend, but they will put out the warnings first thing Monday morning.

Look at the 1960 chart above.

While I doubt that anything serious will hit Thailand (because the Philippines are right in the path in between), I'm also pretty sure that the Thai Tsunami Warning Center is closed for the weekend, but they will put out the warnings first thing Monday morning.

Look at the 1960 chart above.

True, but notice how Thailand is dark purple. Not saying nothing will happen, because nobody knows. The chances are slim, but people should take precautions anyways. Especially since we don't really know what's coming until Hawaii gets hit, because the strongest force of the wave will pass through near Hawaii. The waves that hit Mexico, Peru, Panama, etc. are just "side waves" that don't have the full force.

Just called a friend who has a restaurant on Koh Samet, first he's heard about it.

Didn't know the earthquake had happened.

According to AlJazeera news just now it states that all costal areas including Parts of thailand, Malaysia, should be aware of strong currents and waves in the next 24-48 hours ... They say there is a 100% chance we all will experience something.. What ever that means..

I would not start a panic, but just inform anyone travelling by sea it may not be a good idea for a while, especially the sea cat to samui... I would not want to be on that over loaded from the full moon party tomorrow with massive waves...

Koh samet is quite a way up though so i would not over worry. i believe we are more likely to see some rough seas than actual tsunami style waves hitting Thailand..

Euh...dont think so monday is off(buddha day, bank closed) so wait for tuesday...

What's interesting is that the earthquake zone had a 1.54M/5.2FT tsunami ...and Pismo Beach in California is expected to receive a 1.4M/4.6 FT wave.

To me it seems when the masses of water on the ground move over mountainous terrain it will accelerate the waves over and over again. With so many aftershocks this time, who knows what other additional effects may arise.

Here's a tip if you want to keep updated:

Go to google type in the words tsunami earthquake or what ever, then click search,

when the results come back click on options then click latest,

the search results will update continuously with newest of news from all around the world as it is released.

If it stops updating just hit search again.

Edited by monkfish

No mention of Thailand:

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 015

PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS

ISSUED AT 2028Z 27 FEB 2010

THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO AREAS WITHIN AND BORDERING THE PACIFIC

OCEAN AND ADJACENT SEAS...EXCEPT ALASKA...BRITISH COLUMBIA...

WASHINGTON...OREGON AND CALIFORNIA.

... A WIDESPREAD TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT ...

A TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR

CHILE / PERU / ECUADOR / COLOMBIA / ANTARCTICA / PANAMA /

COSTA RICA / NICARAGUA / PITCAIRN / HONDURAS / EL SALVADOR /

GUATEMALA / FR. POLYNESIA / MEXICO / COOK ISLANDS / KIRIBATI /

KERMADEC IS / NIUE / NEW ZEALAND / TONGA / AMERICAN SAMOA /

SAMOA / JARVIS IS. / WALLIS-FUTUNA / TOKELAU / FIJI /

AUSTRALIA / HAWAII / PALMYRA IS. / TUVALU / VANUATU /

HOWLAND-BAKER / NEW CALEDONIA / JOHNSTON IS. / SOLOMON IS. /

NAURU / MARSHALL IS. / MIDWAY IS. / KOSRAE / PAPUA NEW GUINEA /

POHNPEI / WAKE IS. / CHUUK / RUSSIA / MARCUS IS. / INDONESIA /

N. MARIANAS / GUAM / YAP / BELAU / JAPAN / PHILIPPINES /

CHINESE TAIPEI

THIS BULLETIN IS ISSUED AS ADVICE TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. ONLY

NATIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE

DECISIONS REGARDING THE OFFICIAL STATE OF ALERT IN THEIR AREA AND

ANY ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN RESPONSE.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 0634Z 27 FEB 2010

COORDINATES - 36.1 SOUTH 72.6 WEST

DEPTH - 55 KM

LOCATION - NEAR COAST OF CENTRAL CHILE

MAGNITUDE - 8.8

MEASUREMENTS OR REPORTS OF TSUNAMI WAVE ACTIVITY

GAUGE LOCATION LAT LON TIME AMPL PER

------------------- ----- ------ ----- --------------- -----

LOTTIN PT NZ 37.6S 178.2E 1934Z 0.15M / 0.5FT 10MIN

RAROTONGA CK 21.2S 159.8W 1918Z 0.32M / 1.0FT 06MIN

CABO SAN LUCAS MX 22.9N 109.9W 1833Z 0.36M / 1.2FT 12MIN

DART TONGA 51426 23.0S 168.1W 1844Z 0.04M / 0.1FT 30MIN

HIVA OA MARQUESAS 9.8S 139.0W 1741Z 1.79M / 5.9FT 12MIN

PAPEETE TAHITI 17.5S 149.6W 1810Z 0.16M / 0.5FT 10MIN

NUKU HIVA MARQUESAS 8.9S 140.1W 1745Z 0.95M / 3.1FT 04MIN

MANZANILLO MX 19.1N 104.3W 1705Z 0.32M / 1.0FT 24MIN

DART MANZANILLO 434 16.0N 107.0W 1611Z 0.07M / 0.2FT 24MIN

ACAPULCO MX 16.8N 99.9W 1549Z 0.16M / 0.5FT 24MIN

RIKITEA PF 23.1S 134.9W 1559Z 0.15M / 0.5FT 22MIN

DART MARQUESAS 5140 8.5S 125.0W 1531Z 0.18M / 0.6FT 18MIN

QUEPOS CR 0.0N 9.4E 1416Z 0.24M / 0.8FT 52MIN

BALTRA GALAPAGS EC 0.4S 90.3W 1452Z 0.35M / 1.2FT 14MIN

EASTER CL 27.2S 109.5W 1205Z 0.35M / 1.1FT 52MIN

ANCUD CL 41.9S 73.8W 0838Z 0.62M / 2.0FT 84MIN

CALLAO LA-PUNTA PE 12.1S 77.2W 1029Z 0.36M / 1.2FT 30MIN

ARICA CL 18.5S 70.3W 1008Z 0.94M / 3.1FT 42MIN

IQUIQUE CL 20.2S 70.1W 0907Z 0.28M / 0.9FT 68MIN

ANTOFAGASTA CL 23.2S 70.4W 0941Z 0.49M / 1.6FT 52MIN

DART LIMA 32412 18.0S 86.4W 0941Z 0.24M / 0.8FT 36MIN

CALDERA CL 27.1S 70.8W 0843Z 0.45M / 1.5FT 20MIN

TALCAHUANO CL 36.7S 73.4W 0653Z 2.34M / 7.7FT 88MIN

COQUIMBO CL 30.0S 71.3W 0852Z 1.32M / 4.3FT 30MIN

CORRAL CL 39.9S 73.4W 0739Z 0.90M / 2.9FT 16MIN

SAN FELIX CL 26.3S 80.1W 0815Z 0.53M / 1.7FT 08MIN

VALPARAISO CL 33.0S 71.6W 0708Z 1.29M / 4.2FT 20MIN

LAT - LATITUDE (N-NORTH, S-SOUTH)

LON - LONGITUDE (E-EAST, W-WEST)

TIME - TIME OF THE MEASUREMENT (Z IS UTC IS GREENWICH TIME)

AMPL - TSUNAMI AMPLITUDE MEASURED RELATIVE TO NORMAL SEA LEVEL.

IT IS ...NOT... CREST-TO-TROUGH WAVE HEIGHT.

VALUES ARE GIVEN IN BOTH METERS(M) AND FEET(FT).

PER - PERIOD OF TIME IN MINUTES(MIN) FROM ONE WAVE TO THE NEXT.

EVALUATION

SEA LEVEL READINGS CONFIRM THAT A TSUNAMI HAS BEEN GENERATED

WHICH COULD CAUSE WIDESPREAD DAMAGE. AUTHORITIES SHOULD TAKE

APPROPRIATE ACTION IN RESPONSE TO THIS THREAT. THIS CENTER WILL

CONTINUE TO MONITOR SEA LEVEL DATA TO DETERMINE THE EXTENT AND

SEVERITY OF THE THREAT.

A TSUNAMI IS A SERIES OF WAVES AND THE FIRST WAVE MAY NOT BE THE

LARGEST. TSUNAMI WAVE HEIGHTS CANNOT BE PREDICTED AND CAN VARY

SIGNIFICANTLY ALONG A COAST DUE TO LOCAL EFFECTS. THE TIME FROM

ONE TSUNAMI WAVE TO THE NEXT CAN BE FIVE MINUTES TO AN HOUR, AND

THE THREAT CAN CONTINUE FOR MANY HOURS AS MULTIPLE WAVES ARRIVE.

FOR ALL AREAS - WHEN NO MAJOR WAVES ARE OBSERVED FOR TWO HOURS

AFTER THE ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL OR DAMAGING WAVES HAVE NOT

OCCURRED FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS THEN LOCAL AUTHORITIES CAN ASSUME

THE THREAT IS PASSED. DANGER TO BOATS AND COASTAL STRUCTURES CAN

CONTINUE FOR SEVERAL HOURS DUE TO RAPID CURRENTS. AS LOCAL

CONDITIONS CAN CAUSE A WIDE VARIATION IN TSUNAMI WAVE ACTION THE

ALL CLEAR DETERMINATION MUST BE MADE BY LOCAL AUTHORITIES.

BULLETINS WILL BE ISSUED HOURLY OR SOONER IF CONDITIONS WARRANT.

THE TSUNAMI WARNING WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

THE WEST COAST/ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER WILL ISSUE PRODUCTS

FOR ALASKA...BRITISH COLUMBIA...WASHINGTON...OREGON...CALIFORNIA.

If it does it will be minor. The first wave is supposed to arrive here on the BC coast in about an hour, I'll see if it's even noticeable.

New Zealand could see some decent waves, but I think the low lying islands in the mid-Pacific are the ones at big risk.

No noticeable tsunami in Manhattan Beach, California. It was expected to be 0.77 m to 1.2 m in nearby beaches. Some waves broke slightly higher on the beach. Also there were some sets where a few waves went out and smacked into incoming waves, and there was a little bit of muddy water. The water didn't get close to what it reaches in regular storm surges.

The water got more turbulent, but the level didn't really change much. There is a storm passing through so the water was already turbulent. Had it been a calm day and at high tide, perhaps it would have been more apparent.

No Thais reported hurt in Chile quake

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- No Thais were reported among the casualties from the powerful earthquake that killed at least 78 people in Chile yesterday.

Chavanont Intarakomalsut, secretary to the foreign minister, said the Thai embassy in Santiago was instructed to check on some 100 expatriates there.

Officials managed to contact some of them to ask if they were safe or needed any assistance.

So far no Thai citizens have been reported injured or dead from the 8.8-magnitude tremor, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

New Zealand Tsunami threat: Civil Defence warning remains

2:27 PM Sunday Feb 28, 2010

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre has cancelled its tsunami warning for New Zealand but local authorities insist the warning should remain in place.

The centre, based in Honolulu, cancelled its warning shortly after 1pm but Civil Defence and Emergency Management authorities said they will review the situation at 2.30pm.

A statement from Civil Defence said surge gauges have stabilised but are warning that larger waves could still arrive within the next 12 hours.

Earlier today, a tsunami surge of water measuring one metre reached Northland, turning the normally placid harbour into a "washing machine".

"The wave was approximately one metre. It sucks out and comes in. It takes a couple of minutes. They are very long waves," said Jeroen Jongejans from his boat near the harbour entrance.

He said the water was discoloured indicating the energy level of the wave was very deep and had picked up debris from the harbour floor.

One of the marine markers indicating the course boats should take to get into the harbour was "violently shaking."

He said the tidal flow was estimated to be about 12 knots which was very strong.

"It is very unusual for a body of water to move at that kind of speed."

Mr Jongejans said he was in no danger but was in constant touch with civil defence authorities and was keeping a constant lookout for surges.

Kate Malcolm from Dive Tutukaka said there had been several strong surges in the marina and there had been a rise and fall in the water level of about a metre and-a-half.

"It has resulted in a washing machine action in the marina.

"The piles are moving around a lot when the surges come through. There is about 12 knots of current at the entrance when it comes through and the lines are quite tight on the vessels in the marina."

She said normally the tidal flow was hardly noticeable in normal conditions and the 12 knot current was very unusual and very strong. No damage had been reported.

"But some of the boats certainly looking like they were getting tossed around," she said.

The flow arrived as Northlanders were repeatedly warned to stay away from beaches and not try to watch events.

Surges have also reached Waitangi in the Bay of Islands.

Northland Civil Defence group controller Mike Manley said officials are concerned at reports that people have been ignoring warnings to stay away from beaches and estuaries.

A 40cm surge has reached Gisborne, while Pitt Island in the Chathams has been hit by a 1.5 metre surge and consistent one metre surges.

Napier, Castlepoint, Tauranga and North Cape tsunami indicators are showing signs that surges of water are reaching mainland New Zealand.

Residents on Pitt Island have recorded surges more than two metres.

The island's Flowerpot Lodge owner Bernadette Mallinson said water levels surged above high tide levels even though the island was at low tide.

If the surges continued in high tide later in the day the effects could be massive, she said.

Surges had begun at 8.30am, and residents were watching the seas from high ground, she said. There had been no damage reported, she said.

Official tsunami warnings are in place for the entire east coast after a massive earthquake hit Chile overnight.

A wave measuring 1.5m hit Raoul Island in the Kermadecs, earlier this morning.

Another surge measuring 30cm reached Gisborne but authorities said a second surge could be larger.

John Davies from Civil Defence in Gisborne said a drop in the sea level has been noted by the local harbour master.

Mr Davies told Radio New Zealand that the council is monitoring water levels and warned people not to go to the beach. Receding water levels were seen in Indonesia during the Boxing Day tsunami and in Samoa last year.

Civil Defence minister John Carter was informed last night while he was watching the Hurricanes game and has been kept up to date through the night. He arrived at the Civil Defence headquarters in the Beehive basement just after 9am.

"This is very serious. People are a risk around the coast."

He said civil defence officials, police and the coastguard were working together.

- New Zealand Herald

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article....jectid=10629109

Tsunami fear sends Filipinos fleeing seashore homes

MANILA -- People living along the eastern Philippine coast facing the Pacific fled their homes amid fears of tsunami Sunday following a massive, deadly earthquake in Chile.

The Philippines Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said that tsunami waves could hit the country's eastern coast later in the afternoon.

In the southern island of Siargao in Surigao del Sur province, residents moved to the mountains as the sea receded several metres.

In several towns in Davao del Sur province, residents along the coast fled their homes after noticing that waves were getting bigger.

Phivolcs issued a tsunami alert for 19 provinces facing the Pacific.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]