10 Items Or Less Check Out In Lotus

Ver's quote " what is it about thai visa, do people just come on here to whinge? this happens in nearly every supermarket in the world. the countless times i have seen the same thing in the states, france, italy."

I'll add Canada to that too

"people are just inconsiderate that's all it happens every way. take a chill pill man. "

Well said, this is starting to sound like the Phuket & that other place that starts with "P" or "CM"!!! Forums :)

I'll admit I'll try to squeeze in 11 or 12 items, in a 10 item fast check out, I'm sure many people do.

But I have few complaints about service in stores on Samui, or Thailand in general, whether it be hardware stores, like Home Pro or Home Mart, Sirensin for electronics & many others shops large or small, even the shop I get my carton of cigs every week has them ready as soon as I drive up, I don't even have to get off the bike, & they are 40 baht cheaper than 7 - 11, that adds up over the year!!!

You try finding service in the "big box-stores" in the "west" ... I say forget it, it only happens when they first open, after a few weeks most of the staff have been let go & not replaced... & no one gives a hoot about service... Give me Thailand for customer service any day. :D

Edited by samuijimmy

Thanks for that.

Next step: Asking the staff at the Big C electronic dept.

The tactic: Element of surprise.

The plan: Hiding first behind boxes in the area and than slowly approaching. Similar predators in Serengeti, wait and be patient. And then suddenly as quick as possible jump up in front of one of them. Otherwise they will dematerialise as soon as you approach.

They should publicly embarrass these people in the store using the tannoy system, now that would certainly be funny.

When the shopper turns up at the checkout with their 50 odd items in their basket or trolley full of items, the checkout staff should get on the tannoy system and call for a manager stating “assistance required at checkout 5, we have an ignorant-shopper-with-over 10-items-that-thinks-he’s-more-important-than-everyone-else-code-555”

It reminds me of the famous story of the guy who had a go at the girl on the checkout counter, he announced to her the usual line “do you know who I am?!”

She got on the tannoy and announced “can anyone please help the person at checkout 5; he seems to have forgotten who he is”

Classic. :)

Matt.

This thread makes me ill. It's all the petty, whining crap I thought I left back in my home country.

You people need to get a life. (A new laid-back Thai-style life).

I'm gonna take my 10-baht bunch of fresh pak-chee (which I bought at the fresh outdoor market, where there are NO lines), and go home..... :)

This thread makes me ill. It's all the petty, whining crap I thought I left back in my home country.

I'm gonna take my 10-baht bunch of fresh pak-chee (which I bought at the fresh outdoor market, where there are NO lines), and go home..... :D

Go home. What a great idea and don't bother coming back if you can't add anything of interest in the discussion. :) YOU need to get a life...............

I'm gonna take my 10-baht bunch of fresh pak-chee (which I bought at the fresh outdoor market, where there are NO lines), and go home..... :D

Go home. What a great idea and don't bother coming back if you can't add anything of interest in the discussion. :) YOU need to get a life...............

too far gone he has already gone native, so when you need to avoid hitting him as he drives down the wrong side of the road, relax he is now living the thai way.

Heh, heh, heh. All these bitter comments from farangs who haven't learned to adjust to their new environment. Your goose was cooked back in your home country, and now your goose is cooked here, and you can't cope with it. Most of you are experiencing culture shock and don't even know it. Better study the subject before you go crazy, or have a stress-related heart attack waiting behind someone with 11 items in their basket. :D

I specifically came to Thailand because of the less-stress environment which turned my health around 180 degrees. No more heart pain, lost weight, and more active life style. Y'all have brought your western stresses with you, and sounds like you're not much better off for having come here. You continue to cocoon yourselves in a western life style (frantic city life, western-type supermarkets, western entertainment scene, traffic jams, etc.) and wonder why you can't enjoy life like you dreamed you would. Duh. :)

Going native means 100% acceptance of the host culture. Haven't done that. Just took the best from the old culture and married it to the best of the new culture, trying to leave the worst of each culture out of the picture. It works. Obviously happier than the whiners on this thread who can't even enjoy picking up your cigarettes and frozen pizza at Tesco/Carrefour/WhatHaveYou--run by Thai managers who are unsuccessfully trying to accommodate the weird practices and rules of stressed-out Farangland. :D

Edited by toptuan

Heh, heh, heh. All these bitter comments from farangs who haven't learned to adjust to their new environment. Your goose was cooked back in your home country, and now your goose is cooked here, and you can't cope with it. Most of you are experiencing culture shock and don't even know it. Better study the subject before you go crazy, or have a stress-related heart attack waiting behind someone with 11 items in their basket. :D

I specifically came to Thailand because of the less-stress environment which turned my health around 180 degrees. No more heart pain, lost weight, and more active life style. Y'all have brought your western stresses with you, and sounds like you're not much better off for having come here. You continue to cocoon yourselves in a western life style (frantic city life, western-type supermarkets, western entertainment scene, traffic jams, etc.) and wonder why you can't enjoy life like you dreamed you would. Duh. :D

Going native means 100% acceptance of the host culture. Haven't done that. Just took the best from the old culture and married it to the best of the new culture, trying to leave the worst of each culture out of the picture. It works. Obviously happier than the whiners on this thread who can't even enjoy picking up your cigarettes and frozen pizza at Tesco/Carrefour/WhatHaveYou--run by Thai managers who are unsuccessfully trying to accommodate the weird practices and rules of stressed-out Farangland. :D

i always love it when the sage gone native starts telling me how i dont know how to chill out and enjoy being in thailand :D I dont know how long you have been in asia but i do know i have been here long enough that i do call it home and i have seen some positive changes such as in the practice of queing, there was a time when you dam_n near had to have sex with the person in front of you to avoid having someone cut in line, now imho because westerners demonstrated what they learned as considerate behavior in their developed countries this is no longer and issue. btw there is a huge difference between 11. 15 or even 20 items and 50. :) but hey you probably never go to any of the places i do because your too busy enjoying your thai friends :D oh and who says just because we live some where we should accept everything as it is? One of the best things i have done for the different cultures i have lived in is to teach them how to speak out. there is such a thing as accountability, and responsibility and they are universal.

I've known a few farangs who have gone native. Most embarrassing. Chatting away in bad Thai, superior attitude, bit of clothe wrapped around their waist, no sandals and normally, no money!!! :) And existing on a diet of 20 baht noodle soup. You don't get that in a supermarket so you don't need to queue!

I specifically came to Thailand because of the less-stress environment which turned my health around 180 degrees. No more heart pain, lost weight, and more active life style. Y'all have brought your western stresses with you, and sounds like you're not much better off for having come here. You continue to cocoon yourselves in a western life style (frantic city life, western-type supermarkets, western entertainment scene, traffic jams, etc.) and wonder why you can't enjoy life like you dreamed you would. Duh. :)

What are you going on about ? Are you saying that everytime a person goes to anohter country they have to act the same as the people from that country ? The ' Weird practices and rules of stressed- out Farangland' Hmmm yes but Farangs come here they have more manners than most thai people and most have a lot more money than thai people and nearly all farangs here are alot happy in general about there lifes than thai people. ( Yes thailand is the land of smiles but only in the hotels and resturants, in real life thailand most of us who have lived here long enough no the real thailand ) So maybe these ' weird practices and rules of stessed-out Farangland ' work . But if you want to live all ' Thai style ' in some wooden hut with no running water in the taps. That is up to you. Nothing wrong with that but i like to have money in my pocket and a smile on my face. Not living day by day with just enough to pay for my food.

I specifically came to Thailand because of the less-stress environment which turned my health around 180 degrees. No more heart pain, lost weight, and more active life style. Y'all have brought your western stresses with you, and sounds like you're not much better off for having come here. You continue to cocoon yourselves in a western life style (frantic city life, western-type supermarkets, western entertainment scene, traffic jams, etc.) and wonder why you can't enjoy life like you dreamed you would. Duh. :D

:) No more heart pain but my hearing has gone from loudspeaker trucks and my Western stresses include crooked cabbies, unregulated jetskis and the absence of any zoning laws. That is why the Thais who can afford to, send their kids to be educated overseas in the hope they will be able to change things !

Or can't read! :)

:D The fault lies with incompetent management and both Lotus and BigC are poorly managed. In Lotus when I approached the few items check out counter, the cashier closed it forcing me to queue behind convoys of trolleys. At BigC there are 25 check out lanes and only two being manned ! Trained gibbons would be a better option !

Yeah and both staff has tits and a mustache :D

Or can't read! :)

:D The fault lies with incompetent management and both Lotus and BigC are poorly managed. In Lotus when I approached the few items check out counter, the cashier closed it forcing me to queue behind convoys of trolleys. At BigC there are 25 check out lanes and only two being manned ! Trained gibbons would be a better option !

Yeah and both staff has tits and a mustache :D

The staff are ladyoys? :D

One of the best things i have done for the different cultures i have lived in is to teach them how to ...

The most arrogant statement I've read on TV in several years. "Colonial Master" mindset. I'm sure the natives already have a shrine set up for you somewhere in a sacred jungle clearing. :)

One of the best things i have done for the different cultures i have lived in is to teach them how to ...

The most arrogant statement I've read on TV in several years. "Colonial Master" mindset. I'm sure the natives already have a shrine set up for you somewhere in a sacred jungle clearing. :)

i just hope you make the proper offering.

I did a burnt offering already.

It was one of those "10 Items or Less" placards. :D

Edited by toptuan

I did a burnt offering already.

It was one of those "10 Items or Less" placards. :D

paper or plastic? :D

totally disagree this this happens everywhere, in Uk the majot chains have the policy of refusing to allow more than the the specified amount of items in the basket lanes & most there have the policy of opening a new check out when lines reach over a certain number of people waiting & if the price is missing will find a staff member to go get it. I have never once in any of the countries I have visited found the same kind of consistent lack of interest in customer care as I have across the country in the 3 major supermarkets here.

well, apart UK in US and Italy it happens frequently, not with 50 items but if you have 10 of same items count 1 or 10?

what really annoys me of Tesco is the bad quality of clothes and sandals sold. Already trown 2 sandals away, and the tshirt plus jeans are not labeled and not real cotton. They sell trash very cheap, basically..... :)

totally disagree this this happens everywhere, in Uk the majot chains have the policy of refusing to allow more than the the specified amount of items in the basket lanes & most there have the policy of opening a new check out when lines reach over a certain number of people waiting & if the price is missing will find a staff member to go get it. I have never once in any of the countries I have visited found the same kind of consistent lack of interest in customer care as I have across the country in the 3 major supermarkets here.

well, apart UK in US and Italy it happens frequently, not with 50 items but if you have 10 of same items count 1 or 10?

what really annoys me of Tesco is the bad quality of clothes and sandals sold. Already trown 2 sandals away, and the tshirt plus jeans are not labeled and not real cotton. They sell trash very cheap, basically..... :)

What do you expect ? They are Chinese owned.

Then you shouldn't be involved with a mainly farang forum, eh. :D

so much for his health being better he sounds border line hart attack in his post. needs to calme down!

Brilliant!

From now on, let's tell all the w2@3rs to go home when they don't like someone whinging.

That's exactly why Tesco is so busy all the time and Big C isn't, price and quality vary slightly but just enough for the majority of Thais to go shopping in Tesco's and their main motive isn't quality.

I'm not too fussed about the fast shopping lane but what baffles me is the total and utter chaos at the parking lot at Tesco's, bikes are parked everywhere all over the place and no control at all from mgmt. Haven't seen anything like it at any Lotus anywhere else in the country.

It started to happen at Big C but mgmt acted rather quickly and there are no bikes parked anymore where they shouldn't be.

Prefer Big C over Tesco anytime, anyday!

Edited by limbos