Shot On Canon 7d

aeon

That's damned awesome my friend - superb editing, brilliant score and captivating in all aspects.

Tell me, what software did you use for editing bah de blah.

My Canon 5D MK11 of course has video but to date I have not used it - your stuff has inspired me

WELL DONE

I would agree. Awesome stuff.

But merely evidence that you know how to use a camera than you necessarily have the right equipment for the job. There are a couple of threads going about full frame sensors or using 4/3rds technology. I somehow doubt the fact that you are able to produce such good results from Canon 7D actually adds that much to the debate.

In fact I would be more interested if whether you thought having a Canon 5D MK11 (or even a Panasonic GF1) would have made an appreciable difference to the result.

Thank you,

The Vulcan I used Final Cut Pro for the editing and color correction and MpegStreamclip for all the conversions.

Abrak the result you saw is really compressed and at 640x360 pixels, the master video is full hd and it has better colors and sharpness, and the 7d is the only camera that can shoot video I own right now, so no doubt I shot with that and that the master is much better than that.

For your question I don't own the 5d and gf1, I played a bit with the 5dmk2 and video features are better on 7d including an higher bitrate of video files, however I think you get very awesome results with 5dmk2 as well.

5d mk2 I think will work a bit better in low light conditions as I was in when I shot that video, but I am quite happy with the result as I didn't need very high ISO because I was working in the range of f1.8 to f5.6

As I like very much the film look I prefer to shoot at 24fps, and on the 5d mk2 till now is possible to shoot only 30fps (next month I think they will fix this with firmware update and 5d owners get 24 25 and 30 fps but not also 50 and 60 as in 7d). Anyway is possible to convert 30 to 24 but is longer process and results are good but not same as shooting at 24fps.

The 5d mk2 has also lower bit rate on video files, but it has the advantage of being full frame, that is not always an advantage for example with long lenses, as in a 7d you will get a more shallow "perceived" DOF with long focal lengths.

If you need extremely shallow DOF then 5d is the way to go, but I doubt you may need that for narrative film, is way too shallow, you will put your subjects in abstract worlds, that is more pleasant in still photography as you have your time to watch your photos, on film would be more disturbing.

With 7d I feel quite comfortable, of course you need to use fast lenses and open the aperture wider than you would do on a 5d mk2, but everything is I think a matter of how you want your shot to look like and you can find your way to achieve it.

Edited by aeon

Thank you,

The Vulcan I used Final Cut Pro for the editing and color correction and MpegStreamclip for all the conversions.

Abrak the result you saw is really compressed and at 640x360 pixels, the master video is full hd and it has better colors and sharpness, and the 7d is the only camera that can shoot video I own right now, so no doubt I shot with that and that the master is much better than that.

For your question I don't own the 5d and gf1, I played a bit with the 5dmk2 and video features are better on 7d including an higher bitrate of video files, however I think you get very awesome results with 5dmk2 as well.

5d mk2 I think will work a bit better in low light conditions as I was in when I shot that video, but I am quite happy with the result as I didn't need very high ISO because I was working in the range of f1.8 to f5.6

As I like very much the film look I prefer to shoot at 24fps, and on the 5d mk2 till now is possible to shoot only 30fps (next month I think they will fix this with firmware update and 5d owners get 24 25 and 30 fps but not also 50 and 60 as in 7d). Anyway is possible to convert 30 to 24 but is longer process and results are good but not same as shooting at 24fps.

The 5d mk2 has also lower bit rate on video files, but it has the advantage of being full frame, that is not always an advantage for example with long lenses, as in a 7d you will get a more shallow "perceived" DOF with long focal lengths.

If you need extremely shallow DOF then 5d is the way to go, but I doubt you may need that for narrative film, is way too shallow, you will put your subjects in abstract worlds, that is more pleasant in still photography as you have your time to watch your photos, on film would be more disturbing.

With 7d I feel quite comfortable, of course you need to use fast lenses and open the aperture wider than you would do on a 5d mk2, but everything is I think a matter of how you want your shot to look like and you can find your way to achieve it.

The firmware update for the 5D2 has now been released.

What lens did you use?

Nothing fancy:

I used a 35mm f2.8 old nikon lenses with adapter (extremely cheap in the 2nd hand market but very sharp and quite fast) the good thing is also that is a lens created for manual focus and the gear is very good for that, then a 50mm f1.4, a 15mm f2.8 and a very cheap and light 55-250mm IS all from canon.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you,

The firmware update for the 5D2 has now been released.

I think the previous firmware update for 5dmk2 was to enable the camera to use manual functions in video mode (as the first release had firmware that allowed only automatic settings), but officially these days has been released the new firmware update and allow 5dmk2 users to shoot full hd at 24 25 and 30 fps, and other features as well especially for audio settings. If you are looking for slow motion video capture, then 7d or better 1dmk4 are the way to go. Another good point of using these last 2 cameras for pro video is because the hdmi output send full hd signal and can be recorded on external devices without being compressed by the h264 codec of the native quicktime file generated by the camera, on the 5dmk2 the hdmi signal drop down to 480p resolution while filming even with the new firmware update.

Thank you neverdie.

Edited by aeon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Aeon,

Your Chinese New Year video is very impressive. I watched it 3 times. I particularly enjoy the soundtrack music that makes the whole clip very lively. What is that music from ?

Thanks for your reply and keep it up!

Ryle

Aeon,

Your Chinese New Year video is very impressive. I watched it 3 times. I particularly enjoy the soundtrack music that makes the whole clip very lively. What is that music from ?

Thanks for your reply and keep it up!

Ryle

Thank you very much, I don't know the titles or author but if I am not wrong they are part of a compilation of traditional chinese new year songs. If you need the titles, I can find out, I can't read chinese so difficult to remember, and I don't have with me now but I should have somewhere.

Aeon,

Hmmm...yeah chinese characters would be hard to understand for me too. If the album title is in Roman characters, then I can somehow try to retrieve this album.

Is this something you downloaded from Internet or a CD you bought in a Chinese shop around BKK?

Thanks for your help,

Ryle

Aeon,

Hmmm...yeah chinese characters would be hard to understand for me too. If the album title is in Roman characters, then I can somehow try to retrieve this album.

Is this something you downloaded from Internet or a CD you bought in a Chinese shop around BKK?

Thanks for your help,

Ryle

I got the original cd few years back, no idea where it is gone, I have only the mp3 on ipod right now, if I am not wrong one of the songs in the video is translated as "plentiful year", I hope that helps, but if you go to a shop around chinatown and ask for chinese new year songs I am sure you will find them, they are very popular songs.