Careful - Satellite Installers Still Selling Multichoice

Cromarty

After reading on here and DSTV forums about the imminent cessation of Multichoice, I mentioned it to some colleagues who had spoke in the past that they were looking into it. One had paid 25k last week for an installation and 'free' viewing for a year, this was with bkkcabletv. Another has an appointment this week with JSAT to come and install the system. JSAT said to him they don't supply cards but have a contact, nothing whatsoever was said about the looming closure. Although JSAT have taken it off their website, they are still installing and charging a fortune too.

These two shops are con artists and I’m sure other installers are doing the same.

A friend of mine in Chiang Mai just had it installed this past week. I mentioned this to him but off he went and did it. He also had purchased the old Dynasat Pirated System :) . I guess we shall see in May but I thank there is a sucker born every minute. :D

I can tell you for a fact the people at JSAT notified all their customers by email about the situation about DSTV in early FEB10 and in the same mail said they were stopping the sales of equipment and installation for this network which was THB 16,000 not a fortune. So your friend is mistaken if he thinks he is getting a DSTV install from JSAT this week or any other.

Well I can tell you, for a fact, that he didn't get any email and the installation was due this week. He has now cancelled.

Apparently, JSAT were very recently still installing their Sports Package, using Multichoice. I wonder if they will be giving refunds now customers who will be viewing blank screens, however I'm sure there is some cleverly worded statement so JSAT are not responsible.

With the difficulties in the new cards and the lack of satellite beams seen by Thailand, we will see a decline in the likes of these installers, I'm sure. No bad thing for some of them, with their dreadful customer support and dubious dealings.

Well I can tell you, for a fact, that he didn't get any email and the installation was due this week. He has now cancelled.

Apparently, JSAT were very recently still installing their Sports Package, using Multichoice. I wonder if they will be giving refunds now customers who will be viewing blank screens, however I'm sure there is some cleverly worded statement so JSAT are not responsible.

With the difficulties in the new cards and the lack of satellite beams seen by Thailand, we will see a decline in the likes of these installers, I'm sure. No bad thing for some of them, with their dreadful customer support and dubious dealings.

Where do you get this tripe from?

I can tell you for a fact there have been no installations of DSTV since the email was sent to all the JSAT customers and this can be verified by everyone reading this thread by simply calling K. Benjawan on 02.714.3594 (the owner of JSAT) and asking for confirmation on this point.

The reason your friend never got the email is because (1) he is not a JSAT customer or (2) he is a fictional charactor

BTW there was never any DSTV installation scheduled for anytime in March 2010.

If and when the DSTV signal is terminated, I will be looking at getting Astro, through Malaysia.

I am guessing - hoping - my stationary dish, currently aimed at IS 10, the DSTV satellite, can be remounted to face MeaSat 3, the Astro satellite.

I'd like to learn how to get an Astro HD box, and SIM card.

Also, some of Astro's sports programmimg ( all the cricket ) is PPV, so an active account we can access via their internet ordering platform would be very important.

http://www.astro.com.my/premiumchannels/channel_BOS.asp

Australia Network shows over half of the Super 14 games, some delayed.

Astro Sports showed the Six Nations and Tri Nations.

They will even offer the enitre FIFA World Cup in HD.

http://www.astro.com.my/channels/assphd/

And next season, they will show all 380 EPL matches live, many of whch will be in HD.

http://www.akihiko.co.cc/2009/12/astro-hd-has-arrived.html

It won't have the breadth of DSTV's SuperSport, but it will run rings around TrueVisions.

Edited by Twin

Where do you get this tripe from?

I can tell you for a fact there have been no installations of DSTV since the email was sent to all the JSAT customers and this can be verified by everyone reading this thread by simply calling K. Benjawan on 02.714.3594 (the owner of JSAT) and asking for confirmation on this point.

The reason your friend never got the email is because (1) he is not a JSAT customer or (2) he is a fictional charactor

BTW there was never any DSTV installation scheduled for anytime in March 2010.

Oh dear... yes phoning a company and asking if they were duping customers is definitely going to yield an honest response. :)

So, will there be refunds to customers who have recently had Multichoice installed? I presume K. Benjawan is the nominated Thai owner, required under Thai law? Are you not the actual owner? Hopefully, customers left high and dry will be compensated.

Oh dear... yes phoning a company and asking if they were duping customers is definitely going to yield an honest response. :)

So, will there be refunds to customers who have recently had Multichoice installed? I presume K. Benjawan is the nominated Thai owner, required under Thai law? Are you not the actual owner? Hopefully, customers left high and dry will be compensated.

As a JSAT customer, I can confirm that I was notified by email on 16th February that Multichoice reception would no longer be available after May 31. I also have a similar system from a local company in my area who are still denying that the transmission is ending.

Can we sign up for Astro in Thailand? On their website refers to installation is done by them.

Getting Australia Network for the footy is proving harder now.

I wonder how many local cable TV providers will be cutting many channels the day DSTV is cut. I know many hotel will not be happy that is using it.

• 2 weeks later...

I know peope will shout me down but I have been thinking.... I am one of the people that have 'Multichoice' from DSTV. I will be very sad if in May/June the service is terminated. What is going to happen to all the cable providers that use Supersport and other channels from DSTV? I'm sure they must be under contract to DSTV and also sure there will be many lawsuits if the service is cut off. I know also many other cable providers from other countries must be using DSTV services who are not going to be happy. Another thing.. would'nt it be convienient for DSTV to let people think they are teminating the service just before the world cup? I mean all those people who are pirating will be clamoring to get hold of a DSTV Card and receiver just to see the world cup. Not talking about people in Thailand.. I believe DSTV dont care too much about Thailand... They don't even have an office here to sell their service... No it's the people in Africa or where they sell their service is where they want more subcribers and not Pirateers.... Well we will have to wait and see what happens in June or whenever... would not suprise me though if NOTHING HAPPENS! Maybe just hoping!!!!!

"I'm sure they must be under contract to DSTV ".

What, you mean the cable providers in Thailand? I can assure you the majority of them are getting it in the exact same way as you and I; either through card sharing or through having purchased (illegally, as it can not legally be sold to Thailand) a card from them.

What, you mean the cable providers in Thailand? I can assure you the majority of them are getting it in the exact same way as you and I; either through card sharing or through having purchased (illegally, as it can not legally be sold to Thailand) a card from them.

I'm not sure you are right... cuz if you are they surely would be showing premiership soccer... and they don't.. because True visions have the rights to English Prem and not allowed to show..If they were card sharing they would definitely wouldn't care about True Visions.

I'm not sure you are right... cuz if you are they surely would be showing premiership soccer... and they don't.. because True visions have the rights to English Prem and not allowed to show..If they were card sharing they would definitely wouldn't care about True Visions.

Phil Conners is 100% correct.

The sale of DSTV services anywhere outside of Africa is, and always has been illegal.

There has been a gray market for the SIM cards only because their C Band signal reaches Thailand.

Anyone who has a SIM card, whether it's an apartment complex, a bar, or an individual, has purchased the card form a reseller here in Thailand, unless they travelled to Africa and legally subscribed themselves.

SS 3 and SS 7 show between 5 and 7 of the 10 EPL games live every weekend, so that argument is incorrect.

http://www.supersport.com/content.aspx?id=...t&view=full

From what I've been learning, DSTV is contacting their C Band SIM card holders in Africa through direct mail and email to alert them they need to switch to a Ku band dish and decoder. Obviously, I would not get that information directly as my card was purchased in Africa and sold to a reseller here.

Our only hope is that the termination of the C Band signal is delayed for technology reasons that have nothing to do with subscribers outside Africa. I'm not counting on it.

Well, DSTV carries many EPL games on some of their channels, but the local cable companies are careful not to put those channels onto their network, because if they did True would go after them with a vengeance.

Out of the 7 Supersport channels DSTV has, most cable operators only show 2 or 3, with mainly sports not shown by true anyway!

So it remains a grey area, as long as the local cable companies do not step on true's feet, they get away with it, even if it's not exactly legal! Ever wondered why none of the local cable companies, carry discovery, NaGeo etc? They can easily get it the same way they get SS! or SS2, they just know how to play the game and not upset the big boys!

I think you mean SmartCard.

SIM cards are for mobile phones, and are not the same.

Thank you, Astral, for correcting my horrible technological terminology.

Thanks also for adding absolutely nothing to the discussion on what is facing people in Thailand who have been spoiled with the DStv signal for so many years.

Cheers.

Edited by Twin

Well, DSTV carries many EPL games on some of their channels, but the local cable companies are careful not to put those channels onto their network, because if they did True would go after them with a vengeance.

Out of the 7 Supersport channels DSTV has, most cable operators only show 2 or 3, with mainly sports not shown by true anyway!

So it remains a grey area, as long as the local cable companies do not step on true's feet, they get away with it, even if it's not exactly legal! Ever wondered why none of the local cable companies, carry discovery, NaGeo etc? They can easily get it the same way they get SS! or SS2, they just know how to play the game and not upset the big boys!

Last night on cable TV I saw History channel in place of Fashion TV. Some of the sport I watch is on Australia Network which sometimes get scrambled & it takes a while for the cable company to sort it out. If they cannot maintain Super Sport then that will be a big blow. We can complain & bluster all we want but it will not make anyone sit up & take notice as can be seen by True's ludicrous decision to take off BBC E last year & replace it with a really crap channel.

You my friend are talking out of your back side. I am a customer of Jsat and I can assure you emails were received advising of the multichoice cessation of service back in Feb. It also state the same on their internet links. Does "your friend" by chance having learning or eysight difficulties or suffers from hallucinations ?

Edited by esprit

I get EPL footy from Supersport on my cable service and it's always a game that is shown on True.