Farang-thai Marriage In Singapore

Hi,

I have heard Singapore is a good and convenient place to register marriage, and also that this marriage will be recognized in Thailand (I know it will be in Finland, so no problem).

My girlfriend thinks it sounds very romantic to marry in Singapore.

But what is required of her and me to get married in Singapore, what documents do the authorities need? Does anyone know and has done this before? All advice welcome! :o

I am Finnish citizen. We are both unmarried with no divorces behind us and can prove this.

Google response:

If you are a foreigner/marrying a foreigner

Q1. What conditions apply if I am a foreigner or I am marrying a foreigner?

For a marriage between a Singaporean/Permanent Resident (PR) and a foreigner, the usual application procedures apply. However, if the foreigner is a work-permit holder or ex-permit holder, you are advised to obtain prior approval to contract the marriage from the Controller of Work Permits, Ministry of Manpower before you proceed to register the marriage.

Q2. What conditions apply if we both are foreigners?

For a marriage between foreigners, one of the parties must have been staying in Singapore continuously for at least 15 days before the date of the Notice of Marriage. 

Q3. Does a foreigner require a certificate of capacity to file a notice of marriage?

No. 

Q4. My spouse-to-be is a foreigner. Must he/she stay in Singapore for 15 days before we can file the notice of marriage?   

No.  This condition is applicable only if both are foreigners and are on a social visit to Singapore. 

Q5. My girlfriend is a foreigner and below 21 years. How are her parents to give their consent for her to marry me? 

You may arrange for consent form to be sent to the parents for completion.  First witness to the consent must be one of the persons listed on the reverse of the consent form.

Q6. What conditions apply if I am marrying a work permit holder?

For a marriage between a Singaporean/ Permanent Resident (PR) and a foreigner, the usual application procedures apply. However, if the foreigner is a work-permit holder or ex-permit holder, prior approval to contract the marriage must be sought and obtained from the Controller of Work Permits, Ministry of Manpower.

Q7. Where are the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) and the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) located? What are the contact numbers?

ICA Address: 

10, Kallang Road   

ICA Building   

Singapore 208718   

Tel: 63916100   

MOM Address: 

18, Havelock Road   

MOM Building   

Singapore 059764     

Tel: 64385122   

My wife and I were married in Singapore (She is Thai), we both had Employment Passes and had been in Singapore for almost one year at the time of our marriage.

Things you will need to address are: You will need two Singaporean witnesses ( you will need their permision to use their ID card numbers when booking your marriage) - We had to book our marriage several weeks in advance. Booking is via an online booking form See SingGov.org.

You will also need an approved Thai interpreter, from the Thai Embassy, again you need to book this in advance as there are only a couple of registered interpreters - If you fiance has a degree in English Language you can forgo the interpreter.

You will both need to take your passports along with you and your wife will be asked to show her national ID Card.