Upmarket Restaurants

thainet

I know this has been covered in 08 and 09 but maybe time for an update.

Need some names/reviews of good quality western/european restaurants where one might go for special occasions or dinner with friends.

Doesn't necessarily need to be hugely expensive, just nice ambiance, good food and service.

Done Bruno's and Mantra but know there are lots of other new and old restaurants (actually heard good things about a new one just off Pratumnak Rd down one of the side sois,but can't remember the name).

Anyway all reviews gratefully accepted.

For Italian, I would recommend Gian's in the Chateau Dale complex (next to Brunos) on Thapraya Road. For high-end Italian, it's probably the best in town IMO. Interesting and eclectic decor (Sistine Chapel on the ceiling) and good service. The pastas are great and the scallops appetizer is too. With wine, expect to spend about B1000 per person for a couple courses per person.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Maggs ....thepprasit road(jomtien end), small but nice ,food good ,thai and falang, and nice English lady owner :)

I like Maggs too and it ain't a dump, but there is no way you could call it upmarket or a special occasion kind of place.

Looking for something new? I can't recommend it as I haven't eaten there, but there is a very new high end formal French restaurant in the old (now closed) Flamingo Hotel building on the soi near Tukcom. Not talking about Bourdeux or the other cheapo Euro places on that soi. This new restaurant is definitely a special occasion kind of place. Anyone been there yet?

Edited by Jingthing

thainet - the restaurant you are thinking of is Au Bon Coin. Turn down Soi 6 (it is the 2nd street on your left if you came from South Pattaya up Thepprasit Road and turned right at the T-intersection opposite the Courts) and the turn right into Soi 9 and it is on your right - only spot it by the lanterns hanging in the trees. Usually needs to be booked as is always busy and if I remember rightly is closed Monday and Tuesday. Went to dinner there a few weeks ago. Superb - I actually had 2 entrees: a to die for pate and spring rolls stuffed with goat cheese and a main course: roast lamb. Service is excellent and the food is something worth going out of your way for and the best news not that expensive!!

jingthing - Monte Cristo is the new place - not opened long also went not so long ago. I enjoyed my dinner - but in all honesty really can't remember what I had apart I know I had fish for my main course. Another friend had the kidneys but they were cooked for too long - not a problem they were taken back and a new dish was cooked to perfection. Once again the service was excellent and the setting is nice. Also comfortable chairs on the terrace to have before and after drinks (and a cigarette). I will say that I think this will be one of the up there restaurants once the "start-up hiccups" are over.

2 other good restaurants that are excellent for those special nights out are Pagoda in Jomtien Complex - I have eaten just about everything on the menu and cannot complain about anything at all Last but not least Alois on the beginning of Thappraya Road - opposite The Resicence Suites (was the old Icon night club). Once again great setting, good food and service is again beyond reproach.

Yes, lucky me I have a good friend here who likes to eat at good restaurants and have managed to be invited about 4 times a week to join!!! Once he goes home it will be back to baked beans on toast :)

Edited by aussiechick

thainet - the restaurant you are thinking of is Au Bon Coin. Turn down Soi 6 (it is the 2nd street on your left if you came from South Pattaya up Thepprasit Road and turned right at the T-intersection opposite the Courts) and the turn right into Soi 9 and it is on your right - only spot it by the lanterns hanging in the trees. Usually needs to be booked as is always busy and if I remember rightly is closed Monday and Tuesday. Went to dinner there a few weeks ago. Superb - I actually had 2 entrees: a to die for pate and spring rolls stuffed with goat cheese and a main course: roast lamb. Service is excellent and the food is something worth going out of your way for and the best news not that expensive!!

jingthing - Monte Cristo is the new place - not opened long also went not so long ago. I enjoyed my dinner - but in all honesty really can't remember what I had apart I know I had fish for my main course. Another friend had the kidneys but they were cooked for too long - not a problem they were taken back and a new dish was cooked to perfection. Once again the service was excellent and the setting is nice. Also comfortable chairs on the terrace to have before and after drinks (and a cigarette). I will say that I think this will be one of the up there restaurants once the "start-up hiccups" are over.

2 other good restaurants that are excellent for those special nights out are Pagoda in Jomtien Complex - I have eaten just about everything on the menu and cannot complain about anything at all Last but not least Alois on the beginning of Thappraya Road - opposite The Resicence Suites (was the old Icon night club). Once again great setting, good food and service is again beyond reproach.

Yes, lucky me I have a good friend here who likes to eat at good restaurants and have managed to be invited about 4 times a week to join!!! Once he goes home it will be back to baked beans on toast :)

Aussiechick and others---many thanks for your great suggestions--should take some time to get thru them.

Have chips with your baked beans as it makes the meal go further.

Actually I went back to El Toro last week (last time was about 20 years ago) and it was still surprisingly good.

A little further out but superb 5***** ambience and very good food - try Baan Pictory, before the golden Buddha mountain, and the Silverlake area. What a special find in an out of the way place. Private dining too and not outrageously expensive. 14 of us had Xmas Day private lunch for B600++ But dont tell too many people!

For variety, if you are looking for something a bit funky but fun and great value try Canary Bay on Soi 4, Jomtien. Alsatian (French with German influence) cuisine, rich food, large portions, in the under 300 baht range for a platter.

Au Bon Coin - back there again for dinner last night: entree quiche lorraine = light fluffy and delicious. Main course veal shank, the meat fell of the bone the sauce was excellent and I had it with a baked potato (choice of baked, fries or mash). My friend had the French onion soup which he declared "the best" and the pate which as I have already said is excellent.

It is actually closed Tuesday and Wednesday - once more well worth ia visit!!

Cafe New Orleans - went for the first time a few weeks ago - ribs are excellent, baby back blackened ribs - large servings and again good service. Try the salmon cakes for an entree - really different. Portions are large and desserts are also huge - the mud cake wins me!!! Have now been there 3 times in the last 6 weeks and I would recommend it. Sit out on the terrace for a drink (yes, and cigarette) and watch the antics of the neigbouhood.

See where else I can make it to before my friend leaves in the middle of next week!

Just out of curiosity; what is a Euro place?
Euro as in European.

In Thailand, a place that serves continental, European, sometimes quasi-French cuisine. As opposed to a place that serves American food or British food. Thais often say farang food, which is way too broad of course. For example I would call La Cuisine Au Buerre on that Tuk Com soi a Euro place rather than a French place because it is really more pan-continental than French. On the other hand if a place is more solidly identified with a specific European nationality such as that new fancy place I mentioned, I would call it based on that nationality, in that case French.

Edited by Jingthing

New Orleans is fine. In Bangkok, not far from Nana I went to a Tony Romas for ribs. I liked New Orleans better. Can't think of too many western places in Patters that I recommend.

For austrian food, the inside of the place just two doors down from the Brauhaus is OK.

Rhen Thai on second road is nice because of the Thai dance and music. Quiet and good and different from just sitting down and eating. A decent show for the price.

New Orleans is fine. In Bangkok, not far from Nana I went to a Tony Romas for ribs. I liked New Orleans better. Can't think of too many western places in Patters that I recommend.

For austrian food, the inside of the place just two doors down from the Brauhaus is OK.

Rhen Thai on second road is nice because of the Thai dance and music. Quiet and good and different from just sitting down and eating. A decent show for the price.

I agree that the atmosphere at Ruen Thai is nice just a shame their food is westernised and not Real Thai also loaded with MSG

It is not difficult to identify "up scale" restaurants in Pattaya. It is more difficult (but still not impossible) to identify up scale restaurants that serve really good food (and have nice ambience and good service). It is, however, nearly impossible to identify an up scale restaurant that serves really good food (ambience and service) and is "worth" what they charge for it. I think you need to go to Bangkok for that. In Pattaya, I think you need to stick to middle range Thai restaurants (of which there are some excellent options) to get a good meal in a nice setting and not feel that you have been "shafted" when the bill arrives. I like Pattaya, but I would not rank up scale restaurants as one of its comparative advantages, except, maybe, if comparing it to London (where the food (except for Indian) really, REALLY sucks!!!

It is not difficult to identify "up scale" restaurants in Pattaya. It is more difficult (but still not impossible) to identify up scale restaurants that serve really good food (and have nice ambience and good service). It is, however, nearly impossible to identify an up scale restaurant that serves really good food (ambience and service) and is "worth" what they charge for it. I think you need to go to Bangkok for that. In Pattaya, I think you need to stick to middle range Thai restaurants (of which there are some excellent options) to get a good meal in a nice setting and not feel that you have been "shafted" when the bill arrives. I like Pattaya, but I would not rank up scale restaurants as one of its comparative advantages, except, maybe, if comparing it to London (where the food (except for Indian) really, REALLY sucks!!!

Bangkok's restaurants just don't compete with those in Thailand's regional tourist centres on any level. I agree about the comparison to London, though not for Pattaya but Bangkok: Overpriced and mostly poor quality everywhere.

Edited by Siam Simon