miodo2009

Only when you're running it. Installing some software on your computer isn't going to use any processor capacity when it's not running. Anything that IS running will use some system resources, but Skype as a piece of software seems fairly efficient and I don't notice any delays on this AMD machine that runs at around 2.5Ghz with 2Gb RAM if I remember.

It's not noticable difference although I can imagine that there might be some difference if I was using a Pentium I 133Mhz with 64Mb of RAM.

No Skype does not slow your PC down, it uses very little memory. But if a computer runs with 500 MB of RAM then starting Skype could make it slower, it all depends on what programs that are running before.

Rule of thumb; Windows XP not less than 1 GB of Ram, Vista & 7 not less then 2 GB of RAM of course Windows 7 uses less RAM then Vista but new software tend to be more sophisticated and uses more RAM to run smoothly.

Additonally Windows startup time might be longer if Skype is set to start automatically. And often this is what makes a user 'feel' a slow computer, waiting for the system to be ready for action...

Of course this applies to every program running on startup.

welo

Yes as long it is running, whether in the background or not.

It's like asking if another 150 lb passenger in your car will make your car slower or make it work harder. Answer is yes.

Edited by ZXT

Yes as long it is running, whether in the background or not.

It's like asking if another 150 lb passenger in your car will make your car slower or make it work harder. Answer is yes.

The question is whether Skype is more like a 150 lb passenger or rather a 6-month old baby :) And whether your car is a 1.2l Toyota Yaris or a 4l 4Runner...