20,000 Monks Tipped To Join Red-shirt Rally On March 12

webfact

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this doesn't sound like it's for real, since when do monks assist in disruptive behavior related to politics? I would think they would be completely detached from that kind of thing.

Not at all! Buddhist monks were at the front and centre of the pro-democracy rallies in Burma as well.

Difference being these protests have nothing whatsoever to do with democracy.

Well well, if the revered royalty managed to get 10,000 Monks to Khao Yai in December for all the right reasons I can't see how the Reds can try to top that without some loss of face somewhere.

But these constant reports constantly keep upping the ante. A lot of El Torro Poo Poo I feel.

"Democracy" is at present being bandied by all and yet there is nothing democratic about politicians defrauding money as was the tried and proven case by the Justice System so let sleeping dogs lie. If a bunch of red necks - oops - red shirts, want to push Thailand backwards again, then there is not much going to stop that.

But right now weighing up who is the most democratic, I would say the Govt wins hands down. Red Shirts are just trouble makers looking for an excuse for more trouble being led by a few who will make a financial gain and that is all this is about. Takky is p'd at losing his "reddies" and is prepared to spend some to get it back!

The comments in the report of a continuing strangulation until the Govt is toppled, is nothing short of threats and should be put down with extreme prejudice to set the example coups are out.

Lights out Thailand if you do it again. In a country that had no schools for public education until 1923, you are demonstrating ignorance by your actions. Show what you have achieved in under 100 years and people will gasp. Go this route of protest and more rubbish demonstrations and you will succeed in failure yet again. Be proud of what you have and move on... :)

Edited by asiawatcher

Red Shirts, Yellow Shirts, maybe it's time for some middle of the road (Buddhism right?), Orange Shirt "Progressives?" They could start to balance the political climate of Thai. Maybe the Monks can upset this power struggle and sides taking and find the smarts to bring peace to this disturbance (at least not support the criminally aggressive and offensive Red Shirts).

I find it most disconcerting that by breaking from the adherence of the 200+ precepts of Buddhist Tenants, these monks would not be admonished by their leadership. Has no one has raised an objection to BUDDHIST MONKS SUPPORTING POLITICAL TURMOIL. Now, if they are there as merely a stabilizing, calming factor and neutral peace keeping presence, that would be another case.

Wat Thammakai is viewed with disfavour by many Thais. The previous abbot was famous for ordering 5 star breakfasts, the teachings advise that the more you give, the better the next life will be.

Sia Song, the notorious stock market investor is still a frequent visitor, perhaps advising on which stocks or property to buy.

The temple has long been associated with Thaksin, both are obsessed with money.

:) Understand the Saffron Revolution in Burma, where the Military butchers are in charge, but Theravayda Monks in Thailand joining the UDD is rather disturbing .....is there something I do not understand with this issue...I spent 4 wonderful years in Chiangmai teaching at a Buddhist University, this news concerns me..... :D Dukkha

Well well, if the revered royalty managed to get 10,000 Monks to Khao Yai in December for all the right reasons I can't see how the Reds can try to top that without some loss of face somewhere.

But these constant reports constantly keep upping the ante. A lot of El Torro Poo Poo I feel.

"Democracy" is at present being bandied by all and yet there is nothing democratic about politicians defrauding money as was the tried and proven case by the Justice System so let sleeping dogs lie. If a bunch of red necks - oops - red shirts, want to push Thailand backwards again, then there is not much going to stop that.

But right now weighing up who is the most democratic, I would say the Govt wins hands down. Red Shirts are just trouble makers looking for an excuse for more trouble being led by a few who will make a financial gain and that is all this is about. Takky is p'd at losing his "reddies" and is prepared to spend some to get it back!

The comments in the report of a continuing strangulation until the Govt is toppled, is nothing short of threats and should be put down with extreme prejudice to set the example coups are out.

Lights out Thailand if you do it again. In a country that had no schools for public education until 1923, you are demonstrating ignorance by your actions. Show what you have achieved in under 100 years and people will gasp. Go this route of protest and more rubbish demonstrations and you will succeed in failure yet again. Be proud of what you have and move on... :)

Agree entirely.

I don't know why so many posters here and some of the "academic" bloggers don't see this.

Sure there is a lot wrong here.

Sure there are many things which can be improved to bring about a more free and open society for ALL Thais.

Sure there are sections of what has now been called the "Amartyatippatai" by the "spin miesters" in the Reds, who are corrupt and exploiting Thai People for thier own ends.

But as pointed out, since the introducion of Mass Education in 1923 and the first Constitutional Monarchy Government in 1932, Thailand has achieved an incredible amount.

Sure there is a long long way to go.

I think it is time now, to take some really big steps - but not the way this red rabble of sincophant (and greedy) leaders led by a very selfish man, seeking revenge for his self inflicted losses.

One can only hope that in the next few months a new movement can evolve that can truly represent ALL Thai people over an above all else.

Update:

PM says Govt will prevent clashes between rival groups of protesters

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said the government will take measures to prevent rival groups of demonstrators from clashing when the red-shirt movement holds a mass rally next weekend.

Abhisit denied reports that the Interior Ministry would mobilize blue-shirt people to confront the red-shirt people.

He said the Interior Ministry would only deploy its volunteers to help police keep order.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

But right now weighing up who is the most democratic, I would say the Govt wins hands down.

Quite right. Having the route to power smoothed by the military, a politicized judiciary and, well, you know who else, is a vital part of any vibrant democracy.

The greatest mistake of the PAD was to try to take away the vote from the working class.

That's more a case of GAD (Graduates' Alliance for Democracy).

Wat Thammakai is viewed with disfavour by many Thais. The previous abbot was famous for ordering 5 star breakfasts, the teachings advise that the more you give, the better the next life will be.

Sia Song, the notorious stock market investor is still a frequent visitor, perhaps advising on which stocks or property to buy.

So the "monks" are recruited from "Dhammakaya"?

gold, gold, gold, if possible tons of it...wasn't he ex-prime minister also a staunch supporter?

I really can't believe that Buddhist monks would wholeheartedly support the red agenda of violent change. Disquiet at the political state of play perhaps, as all of us.

By the way, the OP speaks of them being concerned at "Imbalance". Had anyone spotted that if you mix red and yellow you get ORANGE! Perhaps the monks have excellent balance after all!

Chris

Is it just me or leaders of red like to falsely accuse people without proper evidence and embellish their protests which never live up to the hypes?

I am neither yellow nor red, but these day there just seems to be the case with the reds lately. It's either they are accusing someone, declaring war or hyping up massive protests. Maybe it's just media, but that how i perceive it lately.

And also, woo-hoo.. monks at protest. Monks hardly represent something significant like they are supposed to be. They are ubiquitous and not as revered or held in high regard as they were or supposed to be. I don't see the point of saying "Look at us, we have 20,000 monks at protest", that might stir some sh1t up because simply they are "monks" but doesn't really mean anything anyways. Btw, the number 20,00 is probably pulled out of someone's a*ss. I'd be surprised to see even 1000 or 2000 monks there.

C'mon pal admit it, you're about as neutral as a referee at Old Trafford! The same with the rest of you "I'm neither red nor yellow, but I think that Thaksin is a $&+@" etc etc. Thais understand their brand of politics so let them get on with it, they wouldn't thank us farang for our niaive comments.

2Bangkok.com has some interesting info on these monks. Scroll down for the heading "Ordaining 100,000 monks"

"By the way, the OP speaks of them being concerned at "Imbalance". Had anyone spotted that if you mix red and yellow you get ORANGE! Perhaps the monks have excellent balance after all!"

I think in Thailand if you mix red and yellow you end up with a disaster!

Edited by Credo

Yellow, Red and now Orange. Can't wait to see the full spectrum.

IMHO: Monks, especially the buddhist monks, are supposed to have detached themselves from the 'world'. What happened in Burma is something that I am still trying to understand. I am not very well versed with Thailand's political history, but if someone can throw some light on, I did be glad. The thing I want to find out is, ever in past, through many civil problems and those massacres in 90's of many students at a rally, were monks ever involved?

It is also interesting to see that monks, if truly they are joining the rally and supporting the red shirts, are / would be supporting something that is against the fundamental of Thai buddhism. Principles of tolerance and forgiveness. Sangha is not allowed to take sides. They are neutral. Equanimity and impartiality is to be reflected in their behavior. Well, this are just a few of my two penny worth views. Point being, Monks in principle should not be involved in this. Red or Yellow, it is not their business. If they genuinely care, they must rather go out and counsel the masses to keep their nerve calm.

If at all, the monks are seen at these rallies, will make me wonder, are they real monks or someone wearing orange rob and shaved head? A true monk will have no interest what so ever in such political stunt.

:) Just my 2 satang view.

BANGKOK: -- Up to 20,000 Buddhist monks are reported to be preparing to join the mass red-shirt rally in Bangkok on March 12, threatening to mirror the “Saffron Revolution” in Burma in 2007.

Surely the monks aren't that stupid? Do they really want to support Thaksin? Really?

Sangha is not allowed to take sides. They are neutral.

If you watch any of the propaganda shows - nightly around 8 pm - you'll see that the sangha is very much involved in the maintenance of the existing state powers.

Edited by HS Mauberley

If true, good news. It would, after all, be nice to see the sangha providing a little moral support for the people, rather than providing such extraordinary levels of legitimacy to the exisiting - and deeply undemocratic - power structures.

And in your exalted view the power structures were more democratic before this Government?

Or maybe in the time of Mr T?