Sugar Rationing In Thailand, Max 2kg/person

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Folks,

As for the Sugar Cane supply in Kan it must have been a bumper harvest as the trucks to the Mills have been going in for the last 3 months or so and still do today :)

The smell of sugar as one passes these Mills is and always will be sweet 'Hom Mak' :D

Sawadee :D

The use of sugar in Thailand is so excessive that whenever I order a meal in a restaurant here, I tell them to hold the sugar. And even then they usually forget - either out of habit - or the inability to imagine that anyone would want fried rice without sugar.

Recently a new local soup appeared at the supermarket and I was momentarily excited - until I read the ingredients: 8% sugar! Why would you need ANY sugar - much less 8% - in a savory soup?

In addition to all of this sugar that is cooked into Thai meals, there is also always a pot of sugar on Thai tables among the condiments. And Thais use it, too, sometimes heaping several spoonfuls into a bowl of soup. Sickening. Literally.

In England we just have sh7t loads of salt in every food that is processed from bread to cereals to soups to deserts!

Same Same but different ... been waiting years for the ideal time to use that line!

You can lead a Horse to water but you cannot make it drink, Its up to you what you eat , i look at the salt and sugar content, ready meals are the biggest culprit for salt and sugar., Chine's meals have a lot of sugar in, Indian meals have A lot of E and colourings in them. The Average Thai has about 20 tea spoons of sugar a day,

In England we just have sh7t loads of salt in every food that is processed from bread to cereals to soups to deserts!

Same Same but different ... been waiting years for the ideal time to use that line!

You can lead a Horse to water but you cannot make it drink, Its up to you what you eat , i look at the salt and sugar content, ready meals are the biggest culprit for salt and sugar., Chine's meals have a lot of sugar in, Indian meals have A lot of E and colourings in them. The Average Thai has about 20 tea spoons of sugar a day,

....meanwhile, bargeloads of MSG keep floating down the Mekong to unload at Chiang Kong - to feed the Thai habit. ....or at least they did until the Mekong got too shallow.

Many, if not most, or Thai chefs will sprinkle (or spoon in) bunches of additives and sauces in every meal they prepare. Farang can show up in a restaurant and naively/meekly ask the waitress 'no sugar' or 'no salt' or 'no MSG' but even if the request gets to the chef in the back room, it's a toss-up whether the request will be heeded. Most likely; it will be fodder for giggles all around, and/or the chef will go ahead with heaping on condiments as habitually as a doctor washes his hands before surgery.

Carrefour Bang Yai yesterday had a big notice in Thai and English '1kg per person' + shot up ? was 30 baht, if i remeber 2 months ago price was about 21.5 baht.... 1kg last about a year only looked yesterday because of this Thread.

They have 4 big wire cages, 2 were empty, 1x had brown sugar, the other was less then half full of white.

Addicts ALWAYS think it's great and something else caused their symptoms of distress.

Sugar addiction is the worst disease in Thailand that i have observed.

worse than fermented sugar (alcoholic drinks) addiction? ....

Just a different delivery system, and faster into the bloodstream.

The kids start on 7/11 drinks and foods

and then graduate to instant addictions for lao kow and beer.

• 2 weeks later...

1 mn sugar sacks distributed to ease shortage this week

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Ministry of Commerce will this week start distributing one million sacks of sugar into the market to ease shortage and rising sugar price in the country.

According to Permanent Secretary for Commerce, Yanyong Puangrach, about 70% of the sugar will be allotted to middle agents for sale to retail shops. Another 15% of the quota will be allocated for food and dessert producers while the remaining 15% will be for household consumption.

Mr Yanyong stressed that only manufacturers of food and desserts for domestic markets would be eligible for the sugar allocations. He said those manufacturing for exports must use another quota reserved for exporters only.

In the metropolitan area the compulsory price of sugar is 23.50 THB per kilogram, but in the provinces prices will vary according to the transportation cost. More sugar sacks will be sent to those provinces with severe shortages such as Nakhon Pathom, Ratchaburi, and other big provinces.

The Permanent Secretary expected that it would take approximately one to two months for the situation to ease up. Export prices of sugar have recently fallen from about 690-700 USD per ton to 400 USD per ton.

Due to the sugar shortage, sugar prices in some provinces almost touch 30 THB per kilogram while the lowest price is around 22-24 THB per kilogram.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-03-21

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

looks like middle man, distributors made some big buck on the recent sugar "shortage".

wholesale prices on the international market have recently almost halved, yet the farmers in the provinces are paying 25% than before.

before ordering rationing and causing further panic, the government should release those 20-30mln kg every single week, untill the stock dries up, and than eventually import for $0.4/kg (so less than 15baht - half what they are paying in the provinces).

with the predicted low harvests this year, thailand should take advantage of international prices and build up stock of sugar