6,000 Guns And Explosives Stolen From Thai Army Barracks

webfact

I'll add my two cents. In most militaries around the world, including Thailand one would find that arsenals and unit-level armories alike are guarded with not only human guards and intensive physical security systems, but access to them requires layered access measures and penetrating a minimum of triple-lock security. The arms facility itself is locked with more than one ultra high-security lock and the individual weapon racks are also similarly locked. The keys to these facilities are also very carefully secured and controlled. One poster questioned what an engineer unit was doing housing such items. It is engineer units that customarily use military explosives & demolitions in the accomplishment of their unit missions and they indeed maintain stocks for these purposes.

More to the point though...nobody simply strolls into an arms room or arms depot, and walks away casually, or surrepticiously with 6,000 weapons and explosives. Any insurgent-led attempt to do so would be the cause of a major incident that could not be brushed under the rug..nor would it be. This reeks painfully of an inside job. Identifying those persons in the chain of command who are responsible for the security of these missing arms should be a simple matter; they in turn should be publicly named and charges brought against them for high treason to the state. Placed under intensive interrogation the truth would be bound to emerge. This would include unit-level armorers, supply personel and unit commanders all the way up to and including the seniormost general officer placed in a direct leadership role. Something also tells me that all this will never occur. It is a very sad day for the Royal Thai Army.

Factually you are abs correct on the procedure & securing of Live Ord'nance......but recall that this is La-La Land.

Just check out Merc dealerships sales to 'uniforms' over the coming month(s) and Gold merchants etc over the next few weeks- there's ya arms sales proceeds....Money Trails never lie...

rgdz,

Brewta

and at 12 pieces(ish - rifles) to a box = approx 300-500 containers plus many, many chunky 'kit-kat' ammo boxes = LOTSA Vigo's in big and visible convoy through town, no?

Or did a large number of 3 tonner vehicules also get misplaced....drivers, fuel and logistics..... stinks of inside op.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone checked if they were sold to North Korea, if so I think they are already back on Thai soil :D

I want to know where those munitions that where seized from that plane in BKK went to? Any ideas?

That's Classified information. :)

Last year in nearly all Nato-countries together nearly half a million arms were "mislaid"or not accounted for.

Rifles, pistols, machineguns, 2 MBT's, a 155 mm gun, 4 armed personal carriers, rockets, and more of that fun stuff.

This is excluding the material disappeared in Afghanistan, Iraq and other "war"zones.

And what has disappeared in the former SU, oops!

That said, it is a very disturbing thing!

These are some quite interesting statistics. Kindly advise where they come from:

1. You can support this with a website address (I am not even asking for a reliable source.)

2. This is Classified information you have published here, so you cannot point us to any source.

3. You just made it up.

I am looking forward to your kind clarification!

type 'missing weapons' in google search and read 3.7 million results. See ya reporting back in six month :)

This was RIGHT near where Sea Deung was hiding out earlier in the month

after the Peoples Army was declared and Chavalit good cold feet.

Coincidence?

Tomorrow is the ISA meeting. Coincidence?

certainly not :)

Here's a quote from the OTHER newspaper:

Pol Col Suwat Tangkuha superintendent of a local police station reported to the governor that about 3,000 cartridges and 20 grenades were stolen from the arms depot in the Aphai Borirak military camp on March 2.

3000 cartridges & 20 grenades would probably fit in the back of your average pink Taxi, much less a pickup truck.

This whole story seems to be a typical bit of mis-translation and bad journalism on the part of the Nation. :)

I am always very skeptical when I see these kind of messages. "Stealing" is probably an euphemism for either a setup in order to be able to declare the internal security act or limit the rights of protestors or it is because a huge group of soldiers is very unhappy with Anupong and friends and have reserved the weapons for other purposes. It is too easy to think about, let alone accuse, the UDD or the Southern insurgents.

Trouble with the men in uniform is that they do not deserve to be trusted on their word, their record speaks for itself.

Last year in nearly all Nato-countries together nearly half a million arms were "mislaid"or not accounted for.

Rifles, pistols, machineguns, 2 MBT's, a 155 mm gun, 4 armed personal carriers, rockets, and more of that fun stuff.

This is excluding the material disappeared in Afghanistan, Iraq and other "war"zones.

And what has disappeared in the former SU, oops!

That said, it is a very disturbing thing!

These are some quite interesting statistics. Kindly advise where they come from:

1. You can support this with a website address (I am not even asking for a reliable source.)

2. This is Classified information you have published here, so you cannot point us to any source.

3. You just made it up.

I am looking forward to your kind clarification!

type 'missing weapons' in google search and read 3.7 million results. See ya reporting back in six month :)

Googling and viewing those 3,670,000 results for missing weapons. (0.14 seconds). You have been very helpfull. :D

We find out,next week with the red rally.I'm happy that I'm not living in Bangkok. :)

I was told by red friends not to go to bkk on those days.

Ah, those wouldn't be the Red friends that wrote that lovely sounding invitation (grammatically correct and without a single spelling mistake)for farangs to join the rally to oust the government and guaranteeing that no harm will come to them? So, they're concerned for your safety, but don't mind others dying in the cause of recovering toxic assets? :D

Or are the Reds so splintered and uncoodinated these days that it'll just turn into one Red ruam-mit Thaksin-fest orgy, where the left hand doesn't have a clue what the right hand is doing? Sounds even more dangerous all the time.

This really does point to the "laid back", lax way everything works in the country. Thank heavens they are not a nuclear power.

does any one remember the post on here a while back about Thailand building nuclear power plants, and most of the posters were saying how that there would be no problems because the Thai people handling this would be competent. Excuse me.... losing a large amount of weapons and explosives off a Thai military base does not sound competent.

A police source said that about 3,000 ammunitions of rifles; M-16, AK-16, as well as 20 grenades were stolen

Mmm, 6.000 assault guns with 3.000 ammunitions.

Not so easy to make a revolution with those numbers...

Mr. Panitan said the investigation was focusing on the possibility the theft was "an inside job" and that since the loss, security at other army weapons warehouses, especially in Bangkok, has been tightened.

It's slightly disconcerting that security at places that house military weapons ( and on an army camp to boot ) " has been tightened "

I'd have hoped that they would have been locked down pretty tight already. It's not as if they're guarding cartons of instant noodles is it?

I don't know, the Thai's take their MaMa pretty serious.. :)

Probe on stolen Thai army weapons underway

BANGKOK (TNA) -- An investigation into massive losses of weapons and explosives stolen from an arms depot of a military camp...

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-07

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Let's just pray that the military brass remembered to order the 'Stolen Assault Rifle' card with their GT200s so they can find these things.

Edited by PenangGuy

It is giving the reds a nice out when they dont get 1 million. They are currently telling the international media it will be several hundred thousand down form five hundred thousand yesterday and a million a few days back

Hmm, this definitely adds a new dimension to the potential situation on the 12th, lets hope they find them quickly!

It may or may not have anything to do with the 12th. TIT . There may not have been a theft, they may have been sold for cash.

caf

what do you mean 'may have been sold for cash' - thais would sell their grandparents for 20 baht!!!

. . . aw, c'mon! . . . how can any of us get too awefully upset by this? . . . despite it's Asian geography, Thailand is nothing more than a very thin veneer of civility over Third World corruption, tribalism, illiteracy, racism, and incompetence . . . think Cambodia with a little bit of moeny . . . a spiritually berift country of inferior values . . . we choose to live in this Third World country . . . would this be such a surprise in Cambodia, or Burma, or (insert here the name of any sub-Saharan Africa country)? . . . of course not, it is the behavior expected of an inferior culture . . . this could be a scarey time in Thailand, but it is what we expect living here.

I've just returned home to Canada after yet another winter in Thailand...happy to be here, despite the chill in the air.

But, the chill here is not as bad as the rampant corruption, greed, and mis-information abudant in the LOS. The gloss of my first few visits has completely worn off, and it's unlikely that I'll be returning to spend my winters in Thailand.

Good luck next week to all of you. Keep your heads down.

Edited by ophelia

Has anyone checked if they were sold to North Korea, if so I think they are already back on Thai soil :)

I want to know where those munitions that where seized from that plane in BKK went to? Any ideas?

These weapons are stored at RTAF facility @ Takhli airbase

This is pretty serious.

Both if Red T-shirts or Muslim insurgents.

6000 assault rifles!!!!

large amount of explosives!!!!

Weapons deposit without serious guards?

Incompetent and inept people.

Donno about that, in my home country there are so many stacks of gov't arms and ammo you could easily catch the same with zero guards. Now to KNOW where they are and where and what to find, and HOW to get in you pretty much need inside info.

This proves to me that the Thai grass root is unsatisfied still after the military coup, and that people in the army is vexed over it as well. Not exactly what we want to see that the country is unstable BUT I never thought that a military coup would end peacefully anyways.

So far foreigners have not been targeted by the rising, so far so good. I do not take any sides nor do I really care as there is definitely nothing positive for khun Farang whoever controls the mess, let's see was Farangs targeted by Taksin? Yes. Is Farangs targeted directly by the new government? Ohh yes. All I hope is that one day this country will stop the racism against Farangs and all other races living here, it would be a good thing for a lot of people.

I know that IF the army did a coup in my country against a majority voted party the people would rise. Why should it be different here?

I am concerned over the arms race it does not show any positive way forward and I hope the people who stole them will NOT use them physically against anyone.

This is pretty serious.

Both if Red T-shirts or Muslim insurgents.

6000 assault rifles!!!!

large amount of explosives!!!!

Weapons deposit without serious guards?

Incompetent and inept people.

Donno about that, in my home country there are so many stacks of gov't arms and ammo you could easily catch the same with zero guards. Now to KNOW where they are and where and what to find, and HOW to get in you pretty much need inside info.

This proves to me that the Thai grass root is unsatisfied still after the military coup, and that people in the army is vexed over it as well. Not exactly what we want to see that the country is unstable BUT I never thought that a military coup would end peacefully anyways.

So far foreigners have not been targeted by the rising, so far so good. I do not take any sides nor do I really care as there is definitely nothing positive for khun Farang whoever controls the mess, let's see was Farangs targeted by Taksin? Yes. Is Farangs targeted directly by the new government? Ohh yes. All I hope is that one day this country will stop the racism against Farangs and all other races living here, it would be a good thing for a lot of people.

I know that IF the army did a coup in my country against a majority voted party the people would rise. Why should it be different here?

I am concerned over the arms race it does not show any positive way forward and I hope the people who stole them will NOT use them physically against anyone.

What makes you think that they will not use the 6ooo rifles and explosives phyaically against anyone. That's what they were stolen for.

I am more concerned that it would have taken a truck to move that ammount of gear, where were the soldiers guarding the armoury, where was the gate keeper etc.

How many other weapons ie rocket launchers and grenades were stolen.

how many other military complexes have had their weapons stolen because of slack guards. <deleted>***n APES.