6,000 Guns And Explosives Stolen From Thai Army Barracks

webfact

How the hel_l don't you notice the theft of 6000 assault rifles? SIX THOUSAND?! How hasn't that left a paper trail? What kind of accounting system do they have for their weapons in this bloody country?

In Australia our defence minister is pushed to the edge of resignation when our military pay system f*cks up and a some of the soldiers loses a few dollars...

6000 assault rifles is the kind of thing that sends out some very worrying signals about just how in control of the country the government is...

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The PM should well probe... but if there are 6,000 weapons down there how many men are there to use them? Were none on duty? Strange - very strange.... :D

And being stolen from the 'Engineer Regiment' ??? C'mon guys, this is getting silly -- engineers have screwdrivers, spanners and battery drills... don't they??? :)

Edited by george

...." UDD Security will hand any gun-toting UDD members to the Govt SEcurity Corps....

I assume that my medication worketh not or must be Xmas or 1st April come early? Methinks so.

BemusedBrewsta in CM :)

This is pretty serious.

Both if Red T-shirts or Muslim insurgents.

6000 assault rifles!!!!

large amount of explosives!!!!

Weapons deposit without serious guards?

Incompetent and inept people.

There is nothing serious about it. Every Government makes Grounds for future happenings and this is a part of this. No one can steal weapons in such huge quantities. Its all about making an stage for up-comming DRAMA.

Suppose a moderate figure of 180,000 protesters descend on Bangkok next weekend and the guns are handed out to group leaders, then that's one gun for each group of 30. Enough ammo to fire off 30 rounds perhaps.

It's obvious that the guns are intended for a suicide pact in the event that Abhisit doesn't dissolve parliament.

After all, everything has to be cleared up by Monday morning when Bangkokians will be keen to get back to work. No sense in prolonging the festivities.

This is bad. 6000 weapons (plus ammunition presumably) indicates a well planned and organised theft.

This indicates equally thought out plans for their use.

Somebody is planning for a civil war

Now who might that be?

To put things in perspective and defusing all those who wonder why a theft like this is possible in Thailand?

Last year in nearly all Nato-countries together nearly half a million arms were "mislaid"or not accounted for.

Rifles, pistols, machineguns, 2 MBT's, a 155 mm gun, 4 armed personal carriers, rockets, and more of that fun stuff.

This is excluding the material disappeared in Afghanistan, Iraq and other "war"zones.

And what has disappeared in the former SU, oops!

That said, it is a very disturbing thing!

Yes, this is a good point...perspective is needed...hard to imagine a "civil war" being conducted with a mere 6000 guns, considering the array of armour available to army and police.

On the other hand, the Cuban revolution began with a very very small number of men with Castro in the Sierra Madre, with certainly less than 6000 weapons to play with. But that was then and this is now.....

Has anyone checked if they were sold to North Korea, if so I think they are already back on Thai soil :)

I want to know where those munitions that where seized from that plane in BKK went to? Any ideas?

londonthai wrote:

were they sold by the barrack's commander to anybody with cash, insurgents or just common criminals?

if it was insurgents surely there would be brake in, damage, several tracks to evacuate armaments and assilants - and there would be a chase after them.

I think you pretty much got it right in one except that the trail ends in Bangkok with another vested group (IMHO).

I'll add my two cents. In most militaries around the world, including Thailand one would find that arsenals and unit-level armories alike are guarded with not only human guards and intensive physical security systems, but access to them requires layered access measures and penetrating a minimum of triple-lock security. The arms facility itself is locked with more than one ultra high-security lock and the individual weapon racks are also similarly locked. The keys to these facilities are also very carefully secured and controlled. One poster questioned what an engineer unit was doing housing such items. It is engineer units that customarily use military explosives & demolitions in the accomplishment of their unit missions and they indeed maintain stocks for these purposes.

More to the point though...nobody simply strolls into an arms room or arms depot, and walks away casually, or surrepticiously with 6,000 weapons and explosives. Any insurgent-led attempt to do so would be the cause of a major incident that could not be brushed under the rug..nor would it be. This reeks painfully of an inside job. Identifying those persons in the chain of command who are responsible for the security of these missing arms should be a simple matter; they in turn should be publicly named and charges brought against them for high treason to the state. Placed under intensive interrogation the truth would be bound to emerge. This would include unit-level armorers, supply personel and unit commanders all the way up to and including the seniormost general officer placed in a direct leadership role. Something also tells me that all this will never occur. It is a very sad day for the Royal Thai Army.

Did anyone wonder, what's an "Engineering Regiment" doing with/or storing 6,000 assault rifles???

The engineers aren't usually the ones up front doing all the shooting....

At least the explosives part, I can understand. Engineers in the Army, after all, do like to blow things up...

I agree, but I suspect these were maybe war-reserve weapons or otherwise mothballed items, probably, in Thailand, old M16’s.

Or this could be a logistics group who exact job is to store and care for a wide range of materiel.

But my first thoughts are that the story is by definition complete BS, since it is not, effectively by definition, possible to half-inch that quantity of controlled hardware from any ‘Army’ worth the name. Armouries and explosives magazines are continuously guarded by default.

Moving that quantity, even with forklifts (available on any base), takes time.

An Engineer regiment would have a lot of explosive stores: primarily plastic explosives (here I think it’s C4), detonating cord, a range of detonators and initiators, anti-minefield charges, cratering and other shaped charges, but not more easily-deployed offensive items such as hand grenades, man-portable anti-armour systems, mortars, and heavy guns. So that’s one good thing.

All these news stories which helpfully guide readers into making the 'correct' assumptions. It's a real life 'Wag the Dog'.

Of course it truly might be a gang of farmers locking and loading but I recall back in the day a gang of " Communists " determined to " Overthrow the Monarchy " ( as the line went) who would never grow old or have a family.

It can also just be mis-information and no weapons were taken.

Then on the other hand this is Thailand so if they claim 6,000 taken that really means 60,000 taken but not admitting it due to loss of face.

Or:

The 6,000 never were actually in the building but some audit was going to happen and to cover up the missing weapons "they were stolen"

Or:

The sick water buffalo needed them to plant rice...

Excellent post but the point is: "6000 lost weapons is the usual amount every week. Nothing to worry about. Business as usual."

The idea that the government has made up the story to increase the need to invoke the ISA seems realistic. Were the story 100% true then I suspect that Abhisit would be more worried about his position than ever. However, he continues to maintain a quiet calm when questioned about various events, including the Bangkok Bank bombings.

So, do these weapons actually exist?

If they have actually been stolen, are they now in the hands of the military faction of the UDD, a rebel group of soldiers who want to overthrow Anupong or another group who have their own take on the whole political fiasco that currently has Thailand stumbling along from one petty situation to the next?

Probe on stolen Thai army weapons underway

BANGKOK (TNA) -- An investigation into massive losses of weapons and explosives stolen from an arms depot of a military camp in the southern province of Phatthalung is underway, according to Panitan Wattanayagorn, acting government spokesman.

The incident was reported to police and concerned officials last Thursday, said Dr Panitan, adding that investigators were checking whether the stolen weapons and explosives were secretly transported within the insurgency-affected southern provinces or to Bangkok where anti-government protesters from the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) plan to hold a mass demonstration next Sunday aimed at ousting the government.

UDD activists nationwide will begin moving to Bangkok March 12 and will gather at Sanam Luang in the morning of March 14.

Asked whether the Fourth Army Region which is responsible for security in the South should be held accountable for the loss of the materiel, Dr Panitan said the probe is focusing on whether it was an inside job.

Security at other army weaponry warehouses, especially in Bangkok, has been tightened following Thursday's incident, he added. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-07

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

how could it not be an inside job?

This sounds like a ruse to enable to invoke the internal security act and keep the Red Shirts out of central Bangkok. The easy steps have been taken: banning E-tans from the streets, announcing that any vehicle used as a barracade will be destroyed. Now they have an excuse to search vehicles and individuals and generally harrass participants. The ruling elite are shit scared and its showing! 6,000 weapons just Walking out of a base in Pattalung close to the Southern insurgency problem. yeah right!

This is pretty serious.

Both if Red T-shirts or Muslim insurgents.

6000 assault rifles!!!!

large amount of explosives!!!!

Weapons deposit without serious guards?

Incompetent and inept people.

This really is mind boggling!! Every Regiment should have an Orderly Officer, who changes on a daily basis and who is responsible for checking all the armouries in the Regiment and then submit his/her report to the Adjutant at the end of his/her duty. So we have one of two scenarios:

a. The weapons were being smuggled out on an almost daily basis which means there was one hel_l of alot of people in cahoots with this plot - very scary thought :D .

or

b. Something like about 5 to six four ton vehicles were drawn up to the armoury and loaded with the weapons. This would take alot of manpower to execute quickly, or not alot of manpower that took it's time, with no one questioning what was going on - an equally scary thought :D .

6,000 weapons are sufficient to arm 10 Battalions of Infantry!

Assuming these weapons have gone and this is not just some Government ruse to implement the ISA (Internal Security Act) for the Red Shirts demonstration, some very senior Army Officers need to be questioned as to how a crime of this enormity could be allowed to be perpetraed on their watch and what their motives are for allowing it to happen - yet another very scary thought :D .

I think I will stop now because the light in my bunker hole is begining to fade - sleep tight everybody and don't let the bogey man get you :) .

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Possibility-...ch-t345062.html

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday said recent intelligence reports had pointed to the possibility of sabotage taking place on March 14.

He said the government was closely monitoring the situation and would make sure no weapons are smuggled out of military barracks.

Investigation going on over stolen war weapons: PM

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said the Fourth Army Area is conducting a probe into the theft of war weapons from one of its regiments.

Abhisit said he has been informed of the theft on Wednesday.

He said the weapons were stolen from Engineering Regiment 401.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-07

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I expect ahbisit's typical response to this to be something like "we are investigating it bla bla". I'm sorry but this guy lack any balls to stand up against anything (maybe except for taksin). Same thing with gt200. Not enough balls to critisize the thai army

How do we know the government didn't let the weapons disappear and is now trying to blame it on the red shirts? If the red shirts (Thaksin) wanted guns and explosives, I'm pretty sure they would have easier ways of getting them than stealing them from an army base. Use common sense, people.

I'll add my two cents. In most militaries around the world, including Thailand one would find that arsenals and unit-level armories alike are guarded with not only human guards and intensive physical security systems, but access to them requires layered access measures and penetrating a minimum of triple-lock security. The arms facility itself is locked with more than one ultra high-security lock and the individual weapon racks are also similarly locked. The keys to these facilities are also very carefully secured and controlled. One poster questioned what an engineer unit was doing housing such items. It is engineer units that customarily use military explosives & demolitions in the accomplishment of their unit missions and they indeed maintain stocks for these purposes.

More to the point though...nobody simply strolls into an arms room or arms depot, and walks away casually, or surrepticiously with 6,000 weapons and explosives. Any insurgent-led attempt to do so would be the cause of a major incident that could not be brushed under the rug..nor would it be. This reeks painfully of an inside job. Identifying those persons in the chain of command who are responsible for the security of these missing arms should be a simple matter; they in turn should be publicly named and charges brought against them for high treason to the state. Placed under intensive interrogation the truth would be bound to emerge. This would include unit-level armorers, supply personel and unit commanders all the way up to and including the seniormost general officer placed in a direct leadership role. Something also tells me that all this will never occur. It is a very sad day for the Royal Thai Army.

This is the level of security a GENERAL can get past quietly,

understand totally, and know how to circumvent quietly.

Especially with a LOT OF MONEY at hand, this is Thailand after all,

you can BUY a brother, sister and their mother to sleep with if you have

a little cash, and more cash can get them to all sleep with you together

for a night and make merit in the morning and forget it happened...

5,000+ cash can get someone killed...

Not much can't be bought here for the right amounts.

'Cash is King' here and Thaksin has been topping up the troupes lately.

So how much for an Issan draftee or non-com or 2nd Lui to look away

when a full general tells you to? With the added promise of reassignment

OUT OF THE DEEP SOUTH. Pretty easy to get someone young and stupid

to go for that deal I suspect. Especially if it matches your politics back home.

Now add a dozen soldier driven military vans to run up some sniper ordinance and explosives,

with the rest to come 'guarded' by soldiers with written orders in uniform...

If a few guys on roof tops start picking off either Red Shirts or Army Conscripts,

and there is a grouping of Monks and women in between the two groups...

well this makes for BAD television. Thaksin DESPERATELY needs this kind of

over the top video to rehabilitate himself to the world... at least in his mindset.

A certain General seems nutty and desperate enough to try this, an old school guerrilla fighter,

if past actions are read properly, possessing has no compunctions whatsoever.

I pray my reading of this is wrong and it IS just coincidental...

Edited by animatic

were they sold by the barrack's commander to anybody with cash, insurgents or just common criminals?

if it was insurgents surely there would be brake in, damage, several tracks to evacuate armaments and assilants - and there would be a chase after them.

A newly formed People's army??

Stolen? James Bond and the SAS combined couldn't pull off a stunt like that even working from a script.

Perhaps someone just made himslef a right few quid and the guns have gone bye bye to some foreign land who knows.

BUt go to the red shirts to get tooled up for a rally? Not unles they are planning a mass suicide.

They got guns and explosive but no mention of ammunition.

" You got one bullet each guys make em count" :)

Let's get real here....If 6000 farmers , rice workes and the 2 ugly ones from the Doll House turn up at the rally armed to the teeth then it will be the last rally they ever attend.

There are something like 80,000 soldiers in the Thai Army. It would be like a Sunday golfer taking on Tiger Woods and there would be only one outcome...No more red shirts.

So unless the Red Shirt leaders are totally dumb, which I am sure they are not then it just isn't going to happen.

Maybe I'm naive but I can't see why anyone would want to start a fight that would destroy a movement they are trying to build.

Edited by George4