Bangkok Schools In 'Red Zones' Ordered Closed Before Rally

webfact

Schools in 'red zones' ordered closed before rally

BANGKOK: -- Schools in Phra Nakhon, Dusit and Pom Prab districts in Bangkok were ordered Monday to complete the term's final exams and shut down for the summer vacation by Thursday - before the red shirts begin their mass rally on Friday.

Taya Teepsuwan, deputy governor of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) who oversees the Education Department, said final exams in most schools were scheduled for Friday, but that would coincide with the red-shirt protest. However, she was concerned about the safety of students and decided to tell directors of these schools to bring their exams forward by a day. There are 24 schools in these districts.

Apart from schools in the three "red zones", Taya also urged the directors of schools in Ratchathewi district to ensure their students' safety, though they can complete their finals on Friday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-08

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Does it really matter when the schools close?

Everyone will pass anyway ...

I agree.. all will pass through all the going means to do so.. Sex,Drugs,Money etc etc If they all sat an exam and it was independently assesed they would all fail!

So this press release means tht all Issan schools will close as well.. But hang on they are always closed...?

I agree.. all will pass through all the going means to do so.. Sex,Drugs,Money etc etc If they all sat an exam and it was independently assesed they would all fail!

So this press release means tht all Issan schools will close as well.. But hang on they are always closed...?

yeah, they can bribe the school officials like Thaksin did for his kids, if they otherwise don't pass.

The PAD closed down the airport and people went crazy. Now, the Red Shirts have said they will close down Bangkok (schools are closing) and still some on TV say Go Red Shirts.

Shutting down the airport is a bit more extreme than closing a few schools for a couple of days.

You may have missed out on the fact that the majority of Thai schools are already closed as it is the end of th academic year 2009-2010.

International schools are still in session so possibly any of those that may be affected may close.

Sunderland our three boys all attend Thai schools, and you know what ? They are bright kids who have achieved good marks genuine at that too.

Perhaps the fact that I am a qualified teacher who has worked in both the international school sector and I am currently working within the Thai school sector may have helped them in their achievements. I'm not only a parent I am a teacher too.

Do you help your kids achieve ?

Kids don't have problems, they have parents!!

Too many people here are dismissive of the educational system without understanding it, look at the current education in the U.K. at the moment, interesting comparisons.

As a matter of interest I have lived and worked here in Thailand for some twenty years and I have seen some antics in my time, incidentally that time is plus another fifteen years of regular visits prior to coming to live here too.

So perhaps a total of thirty five years gives me some insight as to the way of life here and indeed some insight into the Machiavellian antics of those that wield the power too.

Edited by siampolee

You may have missed out on the fact that the majority of Thai schools are already closed as it is the end of th academic year 2009-2010.

International schools are still in session so possibly any of those that may be affected may close.

Sunderland our three boys all attend Thai schools, and you know what ? They are bright kids who have achieved good marks genuine at that too.

Perhaps the fact that I am a qualified teacher who has worked in both the international school sector and I am currently working within the Thai school sector may have helped them in their achievements. I'm not only a parent I am a teacher too.

Do you help your kids achieve ?

Kids don't have problems, they have parents!!

Too many people here are dismissive of the educational system without understanding it, look at the current education in the U.K. at the moment, interesting comparisons.

As a matter of interest I have lived and worked here in Thailand for some twenty years and I have seen some antics in my time, incidentally that time is plus another fifteen years of regular visits prior to coming to live here too.

So perhaps a total of thirty five years gives me some insight as to the way of life here and indeed some insight into the Machiavellian antics of those that wield the power too.

Yes, I help children achieve and have been doing so for the last 12 years with success. However, the fact that schools (private and government) have to alter the grades of underachieving children and reports to satisfy parents shows that there is still a weakness in the education system. Frankly you will find few people who work in Thai schools who will argue otherwise.

I would never dispute the fact that there are some extremley bright children in Thai schools, since I have had the pleasure of teaching many of them. It is those who struggle in class, for one reason or another, who need help and the system does not provide such help when it continues to promote the false reporting of true examination tests.

Bright students will always succeed, but many of the rest are wasting their time, and in many cases money, by continuing to study at advanced levels which they are not ready for. However, by passing everyone the system allows the rot to continue, instead of highlighting the levels of inadequacy that need to be dealt with.

In conclusion, I don't have anything but encouragement for Thai students who are so much fun to teach. Sadly, so much emphasis is placed on tests and at the same time keeping the smiles on everyone's faces. Clearly some of the parents and the Thai Ministry of Education live in a gigantic magic bubble that drifts along in Never Never Land. It may burst one day ... then again, maybe not.

The PAD closed down the airport and people went crazy. Now, the Red Shirts have said they will close down Bangkok (schools are closing) and still some on TV say Go Red Shirts.

Old Man River, please point out to me where in the OP it says the Red Shirts have said they will close down Bangkok or the Bangkok schools. As far as I can see, it is the Deputy Governor of the BMA that has ordered the schools to complete their final exams 1 day early and close.

Sunderland.

Thanks for a positive reply, I detest negativity and so it seems you do too. Here at my school grades are not adjusted, parents are called in and reminded of their duty. We are I feel and indeed hope both working to the same ends.

Pax.

Edited by siampolee

yeah, they can bribe the school officials like Thaksin did for his kids, if they otherwise don't pass.

Oh! Another thing you think Thaksin did wrong. If he did everything wrong why did more Thais vote for him that the oposition?

Maybe, Your hatred is the wrong thing.

Hoping that oneday civility will return to TV.

Shutting down the airport is a bit more extreme than closing a few schools for a couple of days.

Somehow I doubt that many of those school-kids had planned to use the airport, however most would be at school, were it not for the 'peaceful protest'. :)