Running In A New Engine - Tips?

eek

I havent done that many miles on a new Yamaha Fino. The manual says to run it in easy. The tips online says to run it hard. Im confused!

I also just noticed that the manual warns against any weight on the bike. Well..ive regularly carried a passenger. Is this a problem?

How can i "run in" the engine in the best way?..and, now that the bike is a few days old, with a few miles on it, is it already past a window of opportunity that i didnt know existed? :)

Thanks so much!

Thats good news! Thanks.

Also, i read that its actually a good idea to change the oil after the first 20miles. Would most go along with changing the oil as early as that?

Never let the Engine 'Slog', that is work hard at low speed.

Climbing hills or heavy loads at slow speeds put the engine under heavy load and at slow engine speeds there is not enough oil circulating to keep the bearings cool.

Try reading 'Ash on Bikes' a UK jurno who devotes a section on his website to the Modern views on running in.

john

When I ran my 2009 Fino in, I never exceeded 60 km/h for the first 500 km, then the next 500 km max 80 km/h. Try not to keep the same revs. for too long, so vary the speed.

Today at 6000 km my Fino runs very well, often exceeding 100 km/h when going flat out and acceleration very good too.

I only run benzine 91 on the bike, never gasohol the mechanics advised against it.

Enjoy your Fino, it's a great little bike :)

These little tiny engines work their butts off to get our butts down the road, along with all of our junk. Be kind, be gentle, and be prudent in the first few hours of operation. Trash the oil at 500 and put the best you can find in it from there. I run the same bike and use a pure synthetic or simi-synthetic as available. Forget the kms and concentrate on the hours run. The synthetics go a long time. I change every three months. 40 years in the business with GM, 20 racing bikes. Fuel is not an issue. There is no savings with gasohol as the consumption over rides any savings. It will not damage these engines but will raise operating temperatures a bit and may shorten engine life if abused and flogged regularly.

Watch the oil in the trans and keep your filter clean. The litttle beast will go forever.

There isnot a lot you can do concerning breaking in an angine on those little automatics. The one guy was right about hills,take his advice. And the change the oil regularly. The problem with these little automatics is to break in an engine properly you need to shift down frequently and very early in breakin do a high rev in first few gears this sets the rings properly. So just drive it donot make it work hard. Being a simple commuter bike just drive it and change the oil.

Other than holding the throttle flat out how exactly would one make these auto bikes "work hard", Unless your running round holding the brakes on or attempting seriously steep hills I dont see why you would not just ride it normally as it kinda does it own thing.

Edited by Spoonman

I assume the Vito shares the Engine oil with the gearbox as with most bikes.

Bikes have only minimum oil capacity so regular oil changes are a benefit for long life.

Synthetic oil is definitely superior, but if it's compatible with the Vito I would not know.

john

i would not put any strain on the engine, up hills e.g for the first 500 kilometers

But a passenger not a prob?

Stick to one passenger for the first 500 kms , add another after the next 500 , and so on, and so on , to a max of 6. :)

^ :)

As a rather nervous new bike owner (not nervous driving, but ive never really splurged on something new like that for myself, so i wish to take care of the bike in the right way), im overly sensitive to how the bike responds.

I rented a fino for a while and i noticed today, in comparison, my new bike exhaust area got SUPER hot after a relatively short journey, plus a really strong smell, as well as a "putt-putt" sound when idling. Concerned, i took it into the dealer to ask their advice. Was told its perfectly normal,but they took it for a test spin anyway. Apparently all 2010 bikes are fitted with catalytic converters, so thats why the "putt-putt" sound. Also seems slower to respond, in the sense that with the older rental bike it needed less revs to get going. I feel the new bike works harder than the old one..but that might be just because it is new, right? Anyway, as i said, they told me it was all normal. They didnt suggest changing oil or anything. Ive done about 54km.

Im not very clued up on bike stuff, sorry. Advice is great, particularly in Laymans terms!

tnx.

Edited by eek

^ :)

As a rather nervous new bike owner (not nervous driving, but ive never really splurged on something new like that for myself, so i wish to take care of the bike in the right way), im overly sensitive to how the bike responds.

I rented a fino for a while and i noticed today, in comparison, my new bike exhaust area got SUPER hot after a relatively short journey, plus a really strong smell, as well as a "putt-putt" sound when idling. Concerned, i took it into the dealer to ask their advice. Was told its perfectly normal,but they took it for a test spin anyway. Apparently all 2010 bikes are fitted with catalytic converters, so thats why the "putt-putt" sound. Also seems slower to respond, in the sense that with the older rental bike it needed less revs to get going. I feel the new bike works harder than the old one..but that might be just because it is new, right? Anyway, as i said, they told me it was all normal. They didnt suggest changing oil or anything. Ive done about 54km.

Im not very clued up on bike stuff, sorry. Advice is great, particularly in Laymans terms!

tnx.

full throttle most of the time, but keep it max 60kmh for 100k km. Never keep constant speed for more than 3 minutes.

Will be fastest fino in your hood and service you for 100.000 km without engine trouble.

Replace oil as required by yammy, thats 1000 km / 1 month, and every 4000 km/ 6 months.

Done this to my yammys. works great. oldest one 6 years now, exactly same engine/carb/manual choke you have.

I rode mine normally from the minute I drove it away from the garage. Up and down Phuket hills, sometimes with a passenger, as fast as I felt like going. I always warmed it up properly though, and I've always had it serviced at the right time by the main dealer.

Nearly 4 years old now and the only problem has been headlight bulbs and punctures. I don't think the break-in makes much difference on modern engines.