Portable Air Conditioners

middlepath

Hello, moved to a now locating and the house has no Aircon.

Has anyone here every bought or used a portable air conditioner for the bedroom or anyroom?

We rent and really do not want to install a aircon like one would if they were owners.

If so, how well does it work?

Thanks in advance.

I've got a couple of these and use them in England, the ones I have are 12,000 BTU units. Interestingly enough if you go into a hardware store like B&Q in September / October they sell these off cheaply for less than half of the normal price.

You need to have the exhaust pipe sticking outside of the door / room where you are cooling which means leaving a window open slightly or cutting a hole through a door, or wall, etc. I just leave the window open a few inches and let the pipe hang out.

You should bear in mind that these things are not so quiet, the compressor for the unit is inside the room you are cooling and they can be quite noisy, especially when the mode changes from fan to compressor which it does quite often when I use it in the UK, however I imagine it will be so hot here that the compressor will never turn itself off depending on the size of the room you are cooling and the temperature you have selected.

Ask them for a demo in the store and make sure the mode is set to 'cool' and the temperature is set as low as it goes so you can hear how much noise it makes when the compressor is working, note - when you first turn them on often only the fan comes on initially followed by the compressor slightly after this.

Is there a b&q in Thailand?????

unless i am mistaken the op is in Thailand.What do you need air con for in England,its bloody freezing 10 months a year

He wasn't asking where to buy them from. However if you do want to buy them they sell them in Home Pro, Tesco Lotus and often have them for sale in the entrance area of Pantip Plaza and I would imagine every other major white goods electrical store in Thailand. Just make sure you don't get conned into buying one of the water evaporating systems instead of the air conditioning units - these raise humidity and don't lower the temperature although the dampness can make it feel slightly cooler.

I also like my room temperature to be around 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit when I'm sleeping under a good duvet, for some reason I sleep a lot better when it's cold in the room I'm in.

In answer to the original question : They work quite well but for a large and very hot room I'd consider something with more capacity than a portable unit offers, it all depends on the room size and the BTU of the unit.

Edited by ukrules

Air cond. systems is my field, so i wouldn`t advise you portable air-conditioner. There more minuses than pluses with portable. It`s noisy, then less effective than split or window type. There is a tank inside portable air-con., that collect condensate. Don`t forget, you will have to take water out of it every few hours. There is a models that evaporate condensate, ask seller.

I have a portable air conditioner... Its made by Toyota. Its so big you can sit 7 people in it. It cools from the front and the back. Only problem is, have to leave it outside the house. But on the plus side, I can take it all over Thailand! \

• 1 month later...

"Hello, moved to a now locating and the house has no Aircon.

Has anyone here every bought or used a portable air conditioner for the bedroom or anyroom?

We rent and really do not want to install a aircon like one would if they were owners.

If so, how well does it work?

Thanks in advance."

Well. there are many information that explore and discuss portable air conditioners in internet. Basically, a obviously their name thy are portable appliances that can be carried easily from one room to other rooms. Although they are portable ac appliances but almost of them still need to be vented. The size power capacity of them start from 5,000 BTU up to more than 14,000 BTU.

That's all I hope my simple answer is helpful for you.

Thank you.

portable-air-conditioner.jpg