Too Wet For A Motorbike In June?

Steve2UK

I'm coming back to Chiang Mai 9-28 June. I'd kind of resigned myself to the fact that it would be raining a LOT - i.e. very frequently if not always a heavy downpour - and that I'd need to rent a car the whole time. From what I've just seen on the Travel sub-forum, it's just the very occasional brief shower - which makes me think a motorbike will be OK (which I prefer and is way cheaper).

What do you reckon - given the season? (I know that it's all down to personal preference and that I'm asking a very general question).

What is it you're worried about? For me, I was afraid of slick roads & it turned out not to be too bad on the bike. If it's getting wet that's a problem then that's another thing. The rains are often, but not always, brief. However, even 1 minute in a Thai downpour is enough to thoroughly soak you if you're caught out in it. Personally, I don't mind - I keep my work clothes at work & otherwise I just make sure I always have plastic bags with me for my phone, books, or whatever I'm carrying.

Since you are coming for 19 days to the north in June you can almost be sure you will have some great weather for biking. But of course in the exceptional year you would not but the odds are way way with you on this one.

Your post reminded me of riding in Hue, Vietnam several years ago. The weather was looking pretty good when I set out but after awhile the clouds came in and I was in the middle of town when the rain started. It was incredible...the entire city was traveling on motorbike and bicycle...the entire city came to a sudden stop...from little baskets and pockets out came rain gear which was put on in about 30 seconds...and everyone went on their way...almost like ballet....an experience I'll never forget.

Thanks all. My main concerns were a] safety - given that it's many years since I rode my own regularly in London....... and b] inconvenience - in that if it was going to be raining more often than not every day, I'd get fed up on a motorbike.

Certainly feels like a well-maintained 125cc will do the business for me and I'll sort out the plastic for the times I'll need it.

Any recommendations for a reliable rental place to get that well-maintained 125cc? Too many of the run-of the-mill places I've used before end up giving you a bike with mirrors that flop around and brakes that work if/when they feel like it.

Edited by Steve2UK

~

Mr Mechanic, by name Lek and Kung, a one-minute walk north of Tai Phae Gate/the Montri Hotel on the inside of the moat. The very best maintained bikes in CM and the best insurance included in their very reasonable rental fee. We have been friends for over four years and I send ALL of my biker friends to them.

Mention Ken & Tuy.. Gonna get some smiles and very special service, I promise!

I gotta say that I have been a major biker for more years than you have probably been alive and 'monsoon season' is my very favorite time of the year in our Land of Smiles!

No, it is not like Bangladesh or India with all of the horrific stories you hear. Most of the rains are restricted to a couple of hours a day, and are mostly showers that are a very welcome relief from the heat.

I LOVE the rains over here! There are always places to pull over, especially in our northern mountains in the Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai areas, to have a snack while awaiting the showers to move on.

And if you get caught in the rain, who cares? It is like people who go to the beaches of Hawaii or Florida and freak if it begins to rain... Ummm, didn't you come here to get wet anyway..?

Bring very simple cotton clothing that dries quickly, get over the worry that you are gonna freeze your ass off in the rain (Thailand is sub-tropical and on the same longitudinal line as Mexico and Florida) and LOVE IT!

Sometimes (often) when it rains over here, I haul out the ole 750cc Honda Shadow and rejoice in the way that our planet cleanses herself.

Not to mention me and my attitudes...

A nutso youngster? Hardly. I am very soon to be 65 years of age and will never, EVER, let go of my sense of adventure...

You are gonna have SUCH a good time! Personally email me and I will be most happy to provide lots more info...

Da Dustoff

Edited by Dustoff

Try this for a run down

RAINY SEASON

http://www.gt-rider.com/weather.html

Late May - mid October, with September the wettest month. The temperature range is 25 - 35 Celsius. The first regular thunderstorms come in late May and increase in frequency until they become daily July - September. By mid - late October the rain stops. In November there are normally one or two final rainstorms. Keen bikers that enjoy the challenge of riding on muddy roads should consider touring in October.

The rains are usually tropical thunderstorms of short duration 1/2 - 2 hrs. Once a month July - September there is likely to be a period of bad weather, with steady rain for several consecutive days. Unless you like the thrill of riding in the rain on slippery roads, this is an unfavourable time for enjoyable riding.

Rain wear two piece light weight water proof suits are the best protection against the rain in the tropics. Riders should bring their own waterproofs as the only local rain wear - flimsy plastic ponchos - available do not provide adequate protection.

Note in Northern Laos the wet season usually starts earlier and finish

Basically if it rains you get wet, if it is heavy rain then you will get very wet with the riding difficult to very difficult, depending on the road surface & steepness at the time.

You will never know until you get there, and then a lot of it will depend on the weather pattern for the few days / week that you are in that particular area.

You can also follow the satellite weather photo at

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/satpic/wsateas.htm

to get a rough idea of what you could expect for the next few days /week.

Hope this is a help

Mr. Mechanic is great. I almost killed myself the first time I rented from him, and he took care of me just great. Buddy's across from Central Kad Kaew has a lot of small bikes, too.

If you're not an experienced rider, you might not be ready for the cut and thrust of close traffic. This is not the place to go through a learning curve. Wet roads and a blurred helmet windshield don't help, either.