The 2010 Formula One Season

what can you say, Webber looks so good in that Red Bull now, Vettel just couldnt keep up, or is it due to the track with the start stop nature? Webber seems to be getting better with each race

Mark was in a class of his own (as he was last week), without the safety cars he would have been out of sight !

Who'd have had him as championship leader over his teammate after 6 races ? Well done Mark !!

great drive/tactics from Alonso up 18 places with the help of the safety car, pity its near impossible to pass when cars are closely matched

He's looking pretty solid for the championship too, Vettel needs to get his act together !

did anyone see Barricello throw his steering wheel out after crashing out? Another car came and ran over it a second later.

Yeah but in mitigation he'd just gone backwards into a barrier at 170mph so I guess he was a little shaken up !

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

great drive/tactics from Alonso up 18 places with the help of the safety car, pity its near impossible to pass when cars are closely matched

The old head of Schumi, took one place away from from Alonso overtaking him as soon as the safety car went in

I did not see the race but have read some write ups about the results, what was the incident on the last lap that caused the stewards to look into Michael Shumachers passing of Fernando Alonso on the last lap.

Well done to Mark for his outstanding drive and of course his position on the top of the heap, would like to know the top 10 finishers though, once again the pace car helps back markers close up, not in my opinion an ideal scenario.

I did not see the race but have read some write ups about the results, what was the incident on the last lap that caused the stewards to look into Michael Shumachers passing of Fernando Alonso on the last lap.

Well done to Mark for his outstanding drive and of course his position on the top of the heap, would like to know the top 10 finishers though, once again the pace car helps back markers close up, not in my opinion an ideal scenario.

Monaco Grand Prix provisional result (78 laps)

1 WEBBER Red Bull

2 VETTEL Red Bull +0.4s

3 KUBICA Renault +1.6s

4 MASSA Ferrari +2.6s

5 HAMILTON McLaren +4.3s

6 SCHUMACHER Mercedes +5.7s

7 ALONSO Ferrari +6.3s

8 ROSBERG Mercedes +6.6s

9 SUTIL Force India +6.9s

10 LIUZZI Force India +7.3s

11 BUEMI Toro Rosso +8.1s

12 ALGUERSUARI Toro Rosso +9.1s

R PETROV Renault +5 laps

R CHANDHOK HRT +8 laps

R TRULLI Lotus +8 laps

R KOVALAINEN Lotus +20 laps

R SENNA HRT +20 laps

R BARRICHELLO Williams +48 laps

R KOBAYASHI Sauber +52 laps

R DI GRASSI Virgin +53 laps

R GLOCK Virgin +56 laps

R DE LA ROSA Sauber +57 laps

R BUTTON McLaren +76 laps

R HULKENBERG Williams +78 laps

1 WEBBER Red Bull

2 VETTEL Red Bull +0.4s

3 KUBICA Renault +1.6s

4 MASSA Ferrari +2.6s

5 HAMILTON McLaren +4.3s

7 ALONSO Ferrari +6.3s

8 ROSBERG Mercedes +6.6s

R PETROV Renault +5 laps

R CHANDHOK HRT +8 laps

R TRULLI Lotus +8 laps

R SENNA HRT +20 laps

R GLOCK Virgin +56 laps

Thanks ignis, thats a good result for Red Bull so will we see the other teams catch up after 6 races or so like they did to the Brawn cars last season, I think this could be an interesting season and would think that there are still several drivers in with a good chance of the W.D.C.

1 WEBBER Red Bull

2 VETTEL Red Bull +0.4s

3 KUBICA Renault +1.6s

4 MASSA Ferrari +2.6s

5 HAMILTON McLaren +4.3s

7 ALONSO Ferrari +6.3s

8 ROSBERG Mercedes +6.6s

R PETROV Renault +5 laps

R CHANDHOK HRT +8 laps

R TRULLI Lotus +8 laps

R SENNA HRT +20 laps

R GLOCK Virgin +56 laps

Thanks ignis, thats a good result for Red Bull so will we see the other teams catch up after 6 races or so like they did to the Brawn cars last season, I think this could be an interesting season and would think that there are still several drivers in with a good chance of the W.D.C.

Schumacher receives a 20 sec penalty dropping him to 12th :) !

1 WEBBER Red Bull

2 VETTEL Red Bull +0.4s

3 KUBICA Renault +1.6s

4 MASSA Ferrari +2.6s

5 HAMILTON McLaren +4.3s

7 ALONSO Ferrari +6.3s

8 ROSBERG Mercedes +6.6s

R PETROV Renault +5 laps

R CHANDHOK HRT +8 laps

R TRULLI Lotus +8 laps

R SENNA HRT +20 laps

R GLOCK Virgin +56 laps

Schumacher receives a 20 sec penalty dropping him to 12th :) !

question; the rule states;"If the race ends while the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking." (from BBC website)

are all drivers supposed to remember all the rules and regs?, and there must be a hel_l of alot of them to remember, not to mention new ones introduced each year,in which case, a 20 sec penalty is tough for Schumacher, as all the cars were bunched together after the SC.

I thought MS was entitled to overtake as the SC had left the track and it was business as usual. Your thoughts?

are all drivers supposed to remember all the rules and regs?, and there must be a hel_l of alot of them to remember, not to mention new ones introduced each year,in which case, a 20 sec penalty is tough for Schumacher, as all the cars were bunched together after the SC.

I thought MS was entitled to overtake as the SC had left the track and it was business as usual. Your thoughts?

Mercedes told him to ‘go for it’

Martin Brundle and David Coultard [both ex F1 drivers] on Kangaroo TV commentary both said it was a fine move + questioned why the move was under investigation as it was after the yellow line of the pit entrance.. + Alonso almost lost it on that corner.

Think myself if it was not a correct move the he should have just lost that place and been placed 7th

Mercedes told him to 'go for it'

Martin Brundle and David Coultard [both ex F1 drivers] on Kangaroo TV commentary both said it was a fine move + questioned why the move was under investigation as it was after the yellow line of the pit entrance.. + Alonso almost lost it on that corner.

Think myself if it was not a correct move the he should have just lost that place and been placed 7th

With Damon Hill on the stewards panel he was never going to get away with that move :) !

Agreed. They should have kept the SC out there if they didn't want overtaking. By bringing it in it created confusion, and it was plainly obvious by the way everyone drove those last few corners that they had resumed racing. I appreciate it doesn't look good having the SC take the chequered flag, but at least everyone knows where they stand.

For me that was a career defining race for Mark. He outpaced Vettel at every restart. The momentum is with him, he just needs to maintain it. The real test will be if we have a wet race. Mark will have to bring his "A" game. I hope he does. Lovely bloke and fully deserving.

One minor point regarding Dawson - he said that this season things were really tight on the points leaderboard thanks to the new points system. Can't figure that one out.

And speaking of the points - what do you guys think? For me, not having a Masters in Mathematics, i find it very hard keeping up with what each driver has and where we truly stand. Can imagine that if it's close at the end of the season it's going to be really hard to work out who needs to finish where.

Agreed. They should have kept the SC out there if they didn't want overtaking. By bringing it in it created confusion, and it was plainly obvious by the way everyone drove those last few corners that they had resumed racing. I appreciate it doesn't look good having the SC take the chequered flag, but at least everyone knows where they stand.

Not according to the rules:

Rule 40.13, states that "if the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking,"

Pretty clearly, Schumacher (unlike everyone else) did not observe this !

Rule 40.13, states that "if the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking,"

maybe it's just too much for the drivers to remember all the rules and the various interpretations but the team should know full well and according to reports that I have read then it seems as though Michael was obeying team orders and the should be dealt with in a way that perhaps just penalises them but not the driver, this sort of thing will always be a contentious issue.

maybe it's just too much for the drivers to remember all the rules and the various interpretations but the team should know full well and according to reports that I have read then it seems as though Michael was obeying team orders and the should be dealt with in a way that perhaps just penalises them but not the driver, this sort of thing will always be a contentious issue.

Agreed he may have been acting on advice from his team, but the fact remains he took a place with an illegal move. I can't see how that could not go without being penalised ?

my point exactly, with all the rules and regs how is anyone suppose to remember them?

What? does the team get out the rule book during the SC incident and look it up during the race?

I suppose we all know now.

The rules are in my view quite clear:

40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

and this is my source:

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_an...s/8687/fia.html

that is clear now, but obviously if you didnt know the rule regarding passing on the last lap of the race after the SC was deployed & retrieved, you would be racing for positions would you not? I dont think many of us(incl some F1 teams) knew rule 40.13 before this incident

A bit of a farce as far as im concerned as they all put their foot down to race towards the finish line

my point exactly, with all the rules and regs how is anyone suppose to remember them?

What? does the team get out the rule book during the SC incident and look it up during the race?

I suppose we all know now.

I don't think ignorance of the rules and regs would stand up as a defense in any sport or indeed any walk of life !

If that is the new rule then to me it was Race Control error......

Why did Race control switch on the GO RACING LIGHT ? was hard not to notice the big green light flashing at Rascasse + the marshals showed green flags...

The Yellow Flag = DO NOT overtake

The Green Flag = GO GO GO

When is a GREEN light/Flag = NO Racing ?

If that is the new rule then to me it was Race Control error......

Why did Race control switch on the GO RACING LIGHT ? was hard not to notice the big green light flashing at Rascasse + the marshals showed green flags...

The Yellow Flag = DO NOT overtake

The Green Flag = GO GO GO

When is a GREEN light/Flag = NO Racing ?

Sounds like a simple case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing if that was what happened.

Sounds like a simple case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing if that was what happened.

True, but the pass still broke regulations

Now how many driver know what lap there on ?

We have seen/heard time and time again drivers having no idea what lap there on + a few that have missed the chequer flag having no idea the race had ended.

It simply makes no scene to start waving GO green flags on the last corner of a race...

Of course this Race we have a problem the ex F1 driver as the Stewart has had a long history with Michael S.

NEW RULE :) Drivers must now have pen and paper with them to mark each time they pass the finish line, only way to be 100% sure there on the last lap.

Now how many driver know what lap there on ?

We have seen/heard time and time again drivers having no idea what lap there on + a few that have missed the chequer flag having no idea the race had ended.

It simply makes no scene to start waving GO green flags on the last corner of a race...

Of course this Race we have a problem the ex F1 driver as the Stewart has had a long history with Michael S.

NEW RULE :D Drivers must now have pen and paper with them to mark each time they pass the finish line, only way to be 100% sure there on the last lap.

If you're trying to suggest that any of the drivers here didn't realise they were on the final lap I think that's a little far fetched.

Yeah....... ironic that Damon happened to be on the Stewards panel, still doesn't get away from the fact Schumi broke regulation 40.13........som num na :)

Edited by b19bry

What part of what i said were you saying "not" to?

I was aware of the rule. My point was that it was a confusing rule and one which it appeared some of the drivers were not aware. Why not simply have kept the safety car out?

The rules are in my view quite clear:

40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

and this is my source:

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_an...s/8687/fia.html

that is clear now, but obviously if you didnt know the rule regarding passing on the last lap of the race after the SC was deployed & retrieved, you would be racing for positions would you not? I dont think many of us(incl some F1 teams) knew rule 40.13 before this incident

A bit of a farce as far as im concerned as they all put their foot down to race towards the finish line

Donnyboy are you serious?? In a multi-billion dollar sport where the difference between winners and losers IS fully understanding and taking full advantage of the rules and regs at any given point you think not knowing them should be excused?? As any judge in the real world will tell ya, "ignorance of the law is not an excuse and I dare say there are a fair bit more law on the books then there are rules in F1...

If they don't know the rules thoroughly inside and out and BTW in any reg book this would be very obvious as part of the drivers responsibility to know as well, then they should not be competing at all... What if they didn't know the flags properly and killed a marshall because they weren't privy to the meanings?? On more then one occasion Shumie has used the rules like this to his advantage including his last race there in 2006 when he intentionally ran into the barrier to end the Q session and prevent Alonso from taking the pole..

NEW RULE :) Drivers must now have pen and paper with them to mark each time they pass the finish line, only way to be 100% sure there on the last lap.

For a start it makes no sense to wave any coloured flag at any corner unles the marshalls are reading from the same page as the main stewards who control the race.

Perhaps your mistaking Damien as having the same character traits as Michael Shumacher, and of course, Damien is only one of the stewards and I'm pretty sure he would not stoop that low.

The teams are in constant contact with their cars so there really is no valid reason for any driver not to know his exact position on the track or the number of laps he has completed.

Maybe, but only Schumacher went so far as to break the rules.

I don't think Schumi would have been the only one, had any of the other drivers also been presented with a chance to gain a place.

Maybe but that's pure speculation. Fact is Schumi was the only one to break the rule and consequently the only one to be sanctioned.

What part of what i said were you saying "not" to?

This part

it was plainly obvious by the way everyone drove those last few corners that they had resumed racing
Why not simply have kept the safety car out?

Because that's not what rule 40.13 says the safety car will do