The 2010 Formula One Season

it will be interesting to see Button Hamilton Alonso & Massa moving up the field, if they can tongue.gif

Last week Alonso came from last after the 1st corner spin around to 3rd by the end of the race

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who ever heard of believing what the weather man tells you? The big teams were made to look very stupid yesterday.

Massa angrily said the team made a big mistake. I wonder if he'll be accused of petulance...

Anyway should be a fun race. Expect fireworks at the first corner.

Vettel seems like a good bet, providing the car doesn't break.

Since the teams arrived on Tuesday it has rained within a few mins of 16:00 every day, cannot work out why some of the big teams thought Sat was going to be any different... Still a mixed up grid will be fun

it will be interesting to see Button Hamilton Alonso & Massa moving up the field, if they can tongue.gif

Last week Alonso came from last after the 1st corner spin around to 3rd by the end of the race

forgot about that :D

however it could be a different ball game if its a wet race

it really plays into Red Bulls hands as Button Hamilton Alonso & Massa are held up by slower cars and spray and throw into the mix, the possiblity of getting tangled in contact

but who knows, Red Bull could break down again :)

Who ever heard of believing what the weather man tells you? The big teams were made to look very stupid yesterday.

Massa angrily said the team made a big mistake. I wonder if he'll be accused of petulance...

Anyway should be a fun race. Expect fireworks at the first corner.

Vettel seems like a good bet, providing the car doesn't break.

Ere, you havin a pop rixalex :) !!

I didn't see that about Massa, all I saw was him saying 'we made a mistake' which seemed fair comment ? For the record I don't care to see any driver slagging his team in public.

Vettel is in a strong position but the pressure is on for him to win to get his championship on track. He needs to make it count, but Webber will want to assert himself from pole !

Ere, you havin a pop rixalex :) !!

I didn't see that about Massa, all I saw was him saying 'we made a mistake' which seemed fair comment ? For the record I don't care to see any driver slagging his team in public.

Massa said the team made a big mistake, and it was pretty obvious he wasn't talking about what he did in the car, but the tactics the team employed. I have no problem with him saying that, because all he is doing is stating a fact. No different from what Lewis did last week - except when Lewis does it, he's trashing the team and being petulant. Go figure...

Vettel is in a strong position but the pressure is on for him to win to get his championship on track. He needs to make it count, but Webber will want to assert himself from pole !

No disagreement here. In the end though i think Vettel will come out on top, whether it be this race or this season, because he's in a different class to the Aussie. That said, Mark is a really sound bloke and i'm happy for any success that comes his way - just hope he can avoid taking other drivers out on the way.

Yes, I think they were talking about rain and showing yesterdays footage. However it does look dark looking backdown the start/stop straight. Depends where the weather is approaching from.

A fun race indeed and i think confirmed what we knew about Vettel and Webber.

Hamilton showed us both sides of his character. The way he fought through the back markers was masterful and in stark contrast to Button and Massa who made few inroads - i won't include Alonso cos he was obviously having shift problems. But then the flip side of Hamilton's genious was evident in his swerving in front of Petrov. Very disappointing.

I'd be interested to know exactly what the rules state and how it is they only gave him a warning - don't recall ever seeing them do that.

Just guessing here, but could it be there's a distinction between the sort of jinking left to right as someone pulls out to go past that we sometimes see at places like Monaco, and the much more sweeping move that Lewis made going right from one side of the track to the other? Lewis's move was unsportsmanly in that he was trying to prevent Petrov from using his slipstream, but not dangerous in that Petrov could have just stayed on the racing line and didn't have to stick on his tail. Anyway i'm not trying to condone it, just trying to understand it. There obviously was a reason why he didn't get penalised, and judging by past seasons, we know it wasn't because of any sort of favourtism.

Anyway, overall it's a great relief bearing in mind the first race of the season, that we've now had two very exciting races. Hope it continues!

They are allowed to jink/swerve once in the manoeuvre. He should have had a drive through.

There must be more to it than that, otherwise he would have been penalised, surely?

He would have had a drive through if Petrov was trying to pass, as I see it Petrov was useing the the tow and Lewis was trying to break that tow.

Remember not to many years ago Teams used to send there 2 cars out together in Qualifying 1st one team mate would use the tow then the other to get higher up the grid..

So yes if Lewis had not broken Petrov tow then he would have more then likly been by at the corner.

They are allowed to jink/swerve once in the manoeuvre. He should have had a drive through.

There must be more to it than that, otherwise he would have been penalised, surely?

I think they are allowed to change the line once in a start but i think it's not the same during the race. If i remember correctly it was introduced to prevent pole position holders blocking others and causing crashes down the line during start / going into first corner. Might be more of dangerous driving case for Lewis but he get away with it as Petrov backed out and didn't force his attempt to overtake. Very unusual thing to do in F1, happens all the time in moto gp though and no harm done as long as there is no real attempt to overtake. If there is then it gets dangerous.

In any case it was good race but just due the qualifying lottery. I'm still expecting borin races once it stays dry in quali and during the race. Especially as it looks now that Red Bull has fixed some of the issues. Be it qualifying or race speed they are miles ahead and can control the race as they see fit without any competition from others. Hopefully McLaren and Mercedes catch up a bit once they all get their first upgrades for Spain.

Sepang was hot as always and some rain would have been welcome just to cool down the place a bit. It rains pretty much every afternoon / evening 360 days a year but for some reason the whole sunday was dry. The showers are very isolated and local so it's down to luck if they hit during the race but the old time to start 2pm was much better as around 4-5pm the chance of rain is highest. In any case i think nowadays there is more fans in Asia than UK alone. And in central europe it doesn't matter if it is 9am of 11am.

FIA overtaking rules :-

2. Overtaking, car control and track limits

a) A car alone on the track may use the full width of the said track, however, as soon as it is caught by a car which is about to lap it the driver must allow the faster driver past at the first possible opportunity.

If the driver who has been caught does not seem to make full use of the rear-view mirrors, flag marshals will display the waved blue flag to indicate that the faster driver wants to overtake.

Any driver who appears to ignore the blue flags will be reported to the Stewards of the meeting.

:) Overtaking, according to the circumstances, may be carried out on either the right or the left. However, manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such more than one change of direction to defend a position, deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited.

Any driver who appears guilty of any of the above offences will be reported to the stewards of the meeting.

c) Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of

doubt:

- the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not and

- a driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.

Should a car leave the track for any reason, and without prejudice to 2(d) below, the driver may rejoin. However, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining

any advantage.

d) Repetition of serious mistakes or the appearance of a lack of control over the car (such as leaving the track) will be reported to the stewards of the meeting and may entail the imposition of penalties up to and including the exclusion of any driver concerned.

So basically Hamilton's weaving was reported to the stewards who decided that the rules had been broken, and to issue a warning and a waved black and white flag for unsportsmanlike behaviour. The rules do not state that a penalty had to be given.

Edit - I did not put the emoticon in there, and I can't get rid of it!!

Edited by F1fanatic

I stand corrected, Hamilton changed his line more than once for sure :)

I also missed the b/w flag during the race.

Have to say Hamilton sometimes reminds me of Schumi who in his days did pretty stupid things to stay ahead or prevent others passing.

And no Rix, not coz i'm biased against him :D They both just seem to be extremely competitive personalities even in the competitive world of F1. Sometimes it would be better to keep a cool head though.

I stand corrected, Hamilton changed his line more than once for sure :D

I also missed the b/w flag during the race.

Have to say Hamilton sometimes reminds me of Schumi who in his days did pretty stupid things to stay ahead or prevent others passing.

And no Rix, not coz i'm biased against him :D They both just seem to be extremely competitive personalities even in the competitive world of F1. Sometimes it would be better to keep a cool head though.

Actually MJo in this case i completely agree. :)

I think there should be a race every week (other than a winter break to develop the cars etc.).

No doubt there are all sorts of reasons why this is not possible, but waiting 2 weeks for the next race is killing me! :)

I think there should be a race every week (other than a winter break to develop the cars etc.).

No doubt there are all sorts of reasons why this is not possible, but waiting 2 weeks for the next race is killing me! :)

Yes and NO as I also watch the FIA Touring Car Championship season + FIA FORMULA TWO CHAMPIONSHIP + DTM + GP2 + GP2 Asia + Super V8's + Le Mans 24hr + Le Mans series + Superbikes + Moto GP.... So the weekends that F1 is & is not on is still a full racing weekend on TV. sadly still some clash and it is a frantic time turning the dish to get the next race.. Only once last year did I watch Truck racing and once the V8 pickup racing as they always classed with the others I follow... if there is any free time then Formula BMW, Renault, Ford, WRC and WRC junior + Asian car racing

Yes and NO as I also watch the FIA Touring Car Championship season + FIA FORMULA TWO CHAMPIONSHIP + DTM + GP2 + GP2 Asia + Super V8's + Le Mans 24hr + Le Mans series + Superbikes + Moto GP.... So the weekends that F1 is & is not on is still a full racing weekend on TV. sadly still some clash and it is a frantic time turning the dish to get the next race.. Only once last year did I watch Truck racing and once the V8 pickup racing as they always classed with the others I follow... if there is any free time then Formula BMW, Renault, Ford, WRC and WRC junior + Asian car racing

Wow. You're either single or you have a very understanding missus!

BTW, anyone seen or heard anything of member wackysleet? Missing his input this season.